No half stars

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

I seem not to be able to give half stars in the ratings.
(FF 19.0.2, Mac)

LtSquigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2 LtSquigs  Moderator

Not a bug, half stars are no longer supported

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

@ltsquigs said:

Not a bug, half stars are no longer supported

Ah Man! That sucks.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#4  Edited By RazzaTazz

@ltsquigs: Whuh? Ok, how did old reviews get transitioned? Did you round up or down? Like did a 4.5 become a 5 or a 4?

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm... 1-5 is a huge qualitative difference than 1-10, are old reviews being rounded up or down?
Is this a temporary or permanent change?

LtSquigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LtSquigs  Moderator

The old reviews are still half stars (the rollup thing does not count them on the left, but does count them on the average)

Its just going forward you cant use half stars.

Avatar image for captain_cascader
Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

The old reviews are kept in their half star format. Going forward all reviews are on a full star scale to match the staff reviews.

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

I think that half stars give a closer grade as I feel that some things are better than a 3 star, but not good enough for a 4 (for example), but that's my opinion.

johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also how do you get the list for user reviews.

LtSquigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LtSquigs  Moderator

The list? If your referring to the list on GB that doesnt happen here (since you directly review an issue instead of a release of something else)

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he's talking about the thing I mentioned in the beta thread. The list of user reviews that allows you to browse the latest reviews on the site. Never got an answer whether that is coming back or not. And the list of top reviewers.

johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I mean is that there was a page that showed you the most recent reviews by users on ComicVine, can you still get that?

LtSquigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LtSquigs  Moderator

Oh that may be coming back in the future, dont know yet.

johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks was just wondering as I liked it as you could see what someones reviewed (say it's an older issue)

LtSquigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LtSquigs  Moderator

Yeah, I think it just got lost in the hubub of having to rebuild the entire site from scratch.

johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks, as it was a handy thing.

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2261

Still wish there was a way like the old site to just rate an issue. Not sure I can always write the character limit for each comic I read. On top of that I'd be writing almost 40 issues a week because on the Legacy site I liked to rate each issue I read.

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

Well, if we're making it so all reviews are following the same full star grading scheme as the staff, shouldn't everything by Marvel and DC be locked as automatic 5 star ratings?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#20 pikahyper  Moderator
@x35 said:

Well, if we're making it so all reviews are following the same full star grading scheme as the staff, shouldn't everything by Marvel and DC be locked as automatic 5 star ratings?

don't get snippy

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

So.... we can't have half stars because the staff doesn't feel like using them? For something as short-burst and numerous, a 5-star system is just... WAY too basic, it barely allows for any in-depth kind of grading, just "Is this best, great, so-so, or crap." There's a TON of things that definitely don't fit into those simple categories, but why alienate those who give half stars, when allowing half stars doesn't stop people who don't believe in them from not using them? It strikes me as a very immature kind of move. "I know tons of people in the community like green jolly ranchers, but I don't so nobody's allowed to have green jolly ranchers!"

Seriously, give us even one single advantage to not allowing half-stars. Not an advantage of giving only full stars, but an advantage of just not allowing half-stars. Because you can not-give all the half stars you want without taking away everyone else's ability to.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#22  Edited By BlueLantern1995

@the_mighty_monarchI've been thinking of a advantage or even one that can be percieved as such. The only one I could thing of is that you can't be as negative as before several movies and comics have gotten a half a star before and now have to be 1 star...that I suppose is a benefit. Though I think its more of a benefit for the makers of the bad stuff than the ones who wrote it.

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss the half stars only because I used them for minor annoyances. For example the cover of the comic didn't fit the interior, or the coloring in the comic seemed dark and hard to interpret Things like that don't usually effect my overall enjoyment so I'm not going to take off an entire star for them. @bluelantern1995: I see what your saying, I believe a log of spammers existed at one point that did this. It's also why I believe they now require you to actually review a comic instead of just rate it, keeps the bad eggs from down-rating a comic or series due to person bias on a character, company, or book.

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluelantern1995: I guess, but if someone sucks hard enough to not deserve even a single star, isn't that to say they DON'T deserve to get bumped up to a full star?

Being a critic is about full judgement of quality, if you spare someone's feelings, they won't know how much they need to improve. Which is, again, why we need half stars.Maybe you've got something better than a 4, but not good enough for a 5. What are you supposed to do? Maybe the staff have learned to simplify it (and clearly even they haven't because I've seen staff reviews that assign half-star-inclusive scores in the actual review, even if they can't in the actual stars), but many of us require the tools to express our critical precision.

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wmwadeii

@the_mighty_monarch: Thats what I'm having to do now is rate each area, take an average and then round up or down. Unfortunately it means some comics still get a 5 even if I have minor gripes. I am however considering double weighting story over cover/art/color/layout so maybe that will prevent that, but this will still result in a lot of 4s probably.

The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wmwadeii: EXACTLY! It's a lose/lose situation with no advantages.