#1 Posted by BumpyBoo (10043 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, now I realise this is hardly crucial to the enjoyment of the site, but it doesn't seem normal, so thought I would mention it. As the title suggests, I have noticed in the past couple of days that a lot - if not all, I haven't thoroughly checked - of the older comments on my images have vanished into thin air. Since there are so many comments from different users gone, I think comment deletion is out of the question (if that is even possible).

Any reason this could be happening?

Tech specs:

Operating System

Microsoft Windows XP

Web Browser

Chrome 29.0.1547.57

Javascript

Enabled

Flash Version

#2 Posted by Rorie (886 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: Can you link me to a specific image where you know images have disappeared?

Staff
#3 Edited by BumpyBoo (10043 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by Rorie (886 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: They should theoretically be in the database somewhere; I'll see if an engineer can take a look at it. Might take a bit of time, though! Sorry for the trouble.

Staff
#5 Posted by BumpyBoo (10043 posts) - - Show Bio

@rorie: No worries, thank you very much for looking into it :)

#6 Posted by pikahyper (12393 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: are these recent comments or pre-relaunch comments? all image comments were wiped out with the relaunch, they still exist in a backup somewhere but to my knowledge they were never imported back to the site.

Moderator Online
#7 Posted by BumpyBoo (10043 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: No, these are post relaunch uploads and comments, but funny you should mention that first wipe as my initial reaction to this was "No, not again!" :)

#8 Posted by pikahyper (12393 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: interesting, I didn't know people were even writing image comments any more since so many were wiped out and now that writing/reading them in the current setup isn't as intuitive or user friendly. I've only seen one image comment since the relaunch and it was spamish.

Moderator Online
#9 Posted by BumpyBoo (10043 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: I agree, the system is definitely more awkward now that we don't get call outs for image comments without an @ reply and they seem to show up in reverse order (among other things). My friends and I still use them an awful lot though, more so now I'm uploading my own drawings. But, as I say...not essential, just frustrating.

#10 Posted by pikahyper (12393 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: well I would say a good image commenting system is pretty important with the sheer amount of images on this site, it's just been so long since the old system that we have gotten used to it and expectations have lowered.

Moderator Online
#11 Edited by BumpyBoo (10043 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: Exactly, especially a site dealing with as visual a medium as comic books. That's a good point though, I agree that after a while of something not working you just become used to it. Like the online users list - everyone was up in arms initially but I haven't heard a mention of it in months now.

#12 Edited by pikahyper (12393 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: god I miss that thing, I mention it at least once a week, I won't let the engineers forget about it.

Moderator Online
#13 Edited by BumpyBoo (10043 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: Me too, and thanks, very glad someone is still pushing for it :) It is sorely missed.

#14 Posted by pikahyper (12393 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: hands down one of the best features this site has ever had, the community hasn't been the same without it.

Moderator Online
#15 Edited by Rorie (886 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: @bumpyboo: I've heard some interesting rumblings about the online users list. Can't promise anything right now, though.

Staff
#16 Edited by BumpyBoo (10043 posts) - - Show Bio

@rorie: Oooh that sounds intriguing....fingers crossed ^_^

#17 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22196 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: @rorie: i cant insert an image. i click video and it works just fine, but nothing happens when i click image.

#18 Posted by pikahyper (12393 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: Different bug, please look for a recent similar thread or create a new one.

Moderator Online
#19 Edited by BumpyBoo (10043 posts) - - Show Bio

@rorie: I just noticed this seems to be fixed now. Thank you guys so much!!!! ^___^