Go to Penultimate Page

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#1 Icarusflies  Moderator

Clicking the 'go to last' page button (especially the arrow directly on the forum board) will always load the second-to-last page rather than the most recent.

I'm using Chrome.

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Yup, same here. Really frustrating, especially when the PM notifications don't automatically take you to the page the person's reply is on.

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2261

User Lists: 3

@icarusflies: @ellie_knightfall: They are working on both adding page numbers to PM messages, fixing the comment in a PM to link to the actual comment, and make the >> take you to the last post. Right now I believe they mentioned the best they can do is take it to the last page when you click the links.

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Ellie_Knightfall
@wmwadeii said:

@icarusflies: @ellie_knightfall: They are working on both adding page numbers to PM messages, fixing the comment in a PM to link to the actual comment, and make the >> take you to the last post. Right now I believe they mentioned the best they can do is take it to the last page when you click the links.

Does anybody know if there's any word on this?

Zauberin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5 Zauberin  Moderator

So, I figured out (sorta) what the cause is. It has to do with deleted comments in the thread. Deleting them sort of backs it up, in a way, until the undeleted comments can compensate. Like, they'll be gone from viewing (unless you're a mod), and it'll say "this message was deleted," and it sort of still registers as a comment that's there, I guess? But I dunno, it's like it's...I guess confusing the thread/site/whatever?

I observed a new thread, and I saw that when the thread had no deleted comments, it always took you to the last page, without fail. Then two comments were deleted, and once that page had been filled, including deleted comments, the next page shows up and comments are there. But when you click the "last page" arrow, it took me to the previous page, until two more comments were posted to make up for those that got deleted.

I'm probably not the best at wording it. But I did figure it out. I should maybe see how I can fix the wording.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#6 pikahyper  Moderator

Sounds accurate.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: -43

I'm not entirely sure that there's a lot we can do about that since we soft-delete posts to leave them visible to moderators rather than delete them permanently, but I'll file a bug for it.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#8  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@rorie: it was discussed before and a bunch agreed that those soft-deleted posts should become permanent after a set time interval as they just clutter things up and are pretty much useless after a couple days or a week.