Forum Posts have gone MISSING!!

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jokergeist

I'm not 100% certain, but this has likely happened to hundreds of other posts too withinvarious forums around the site. Today I noticed in this thread that a post from an alt-account of mine has simply vanished. It literally disappeared. The post has always been recorded as Post #2 (posted by matmousey 4 months ago), but after the recent update the post disappeared and evidently has been replaced by a post from a different user.

Here's the story.

There is this thread named the "Battle Callout Phonebook" that I made a few months ago. If you haven't seen it; basically it's a thread with multiple lists of users to call out for specific characters, judging, and other things that happen on the battle forums. It's also pinned at the top of the Battles Forums.

At this point today many users have signed up, meaning I add their username to the thread OP, and the incoming traffic of community participation hasn't stopped since. I once came across a tremendous problem, but solved it afterwards. The problem was that whenever I tried to Untitled 1 the thread in order to list more users, like so:

Untitled 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Untitled 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Untitled 1

*Screenshots were taken 22 days ago.

Well it turns out that every forum post has a "Content Limit", meaning a limitation to how many words/tags/etc. in total that's allowed in the post. In other words, the MAXIMUM had been reached in the OP of this thread. Because the max had been reached, then the entire Battle Forum community was seemingly doomed forever to never again allow additional users to sign up in our cherished Phonebook. Sorry for the over-dramatization.

I temporarily solved my problem by ing the #2 Post by @matmousey (who I later renamed to @The_Battle_Callout_Phonebook), and therefore divided the content in the OP between Post #1 and Post #2. This way the #1 Post would have less content so the Content Limit would no longer obstruct me from adding tagged users and lists and etc. etc.

Keep in mind that @matmousey = @The_Battle_Callout_Phonebook, and vice versa. They are the same account with different names. It the alt account I'll be referring to.

Now take a look at this old screenshot of the first page of that thread.

*Screenshot taken 22 days ago.
*Screenshot taken 22 days ago.

☝Right underneath the OP (opening post) WASPost #2 posted by @matmousey, an account I renamed to @The_Battle_Callout_Phonebook for the purpose of keeping that thread's "Phonebook" records and lists within an edited Post #2 rather than stuffing everything into Post #1 (in order to bypass the content limit). Notice within the screenshot that @matmousey was Post #2 and @The_Imperator was Post #3. But after the recent Comic Vine update, THIS happened:

*Screenshot taken today.
*Screenshot taken today.

You can even visit the first page of the thread and see for yourself that the previous Post #2 (by @matmousey/@The_Battle_Callout_Phonebook) is completely GONE, even though it has always been existent before the update. Instead, now @The_Imperator occupies Post #2 and apparently replaced the previous post from my alt account.

The trippy part is that you can even check the >>Forum History<< at @The_Battle_Callout_Phonebook's profile page, and the said post still shows up in recorded history☟☟☟

*Screenshot taken today.
*Screenshot taken today.

This is a screenshot of the Forum History for my @The_Battle_Callout_Phonebook account. In record it was the account's #9 post from 4 months ago. However the post does not appear within the forum itself.

Requests and Solutions

1) I'd like an engineer to put my post back to where it belongs, so that instead of THIS (Post #2 occupied by @The_Imperator) the page returns to THIS (Post #2 occupied by @matmousey/@The_Battle_Callout_Phonebook).

2) If you'd prefer, you can instead alter it so the #2 Post of that thread is occupied by this "Jokergeist" account. That would also be satisfactory.

3) In fact, the best option is to completely DISABLE the "Content Limit" altogether. This is the Content Limit I'm referring to. Please disable it for the OP of my "Battle Callout Phonebook" thread only; You do not need to do so for the entire website.

**This may be a larger-scale issue of the site. Various other posts around the Comic Vine forums have likely gone missing too. Thanks in advance for looking into this.

Sincerely,

No Caption Provided

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been over 8 hours & not a reply to this post? Ok sorry if its been done via PM but if it hasent shouldnt someone be on the case?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: -43

#3  Edited By rorie

@chaos_prime: Eight hours from midnight to 9 AM our time. It'll be looked at when an engineer gets into the office.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mrpibb

we just got in, will be looking into why the post disappeared

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

@chaos_prime: Eight hours from midnight to 9 AM our time. It'll be looked at when an engineer gets into the office.

@mrpibb said:

we just got in, will be looking into why the post disappeared

Sorry guys didnt think about the time difference my bad.

porkbun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6 porkbun  Staff

@jokergeist The fix is in. The post should appear in the thread now.

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frobie: Great, thanks! Is there by chance any way to disable the "Content Limit" for the thread OP?

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jokergeist: we won't be removing the content limit more as a barrier against hacking. Early beta tests (albeit from users who wanted to help test) showed that posting all of Genesis from the Old Testament would crash browsers (people quoted over and over and over). In the future I'd recommend reserving some posts at the top for these types of threads.

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jokergeist

@mrpibb: It shouldn't hurt to disable the Content Limit exclusively for the Post #1 only, while the limit still applies all other posts in the thread. Nobody quotes in the thread anyway. Right? Just wondering.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mrpibb

@jokergeist: it's actually a limit that's enforced by shared libraries. Unfortunatley, if we unlocked it for post #1, it would unlock for all posts.

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrpibb: I thought that might be the case. Well thanks for the fix ^_^