Difficulty captioning images

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 owie  Moderator

Since yesterday (at least) I've had problems captioning images.

On my profile, sometimes it works, but usually it doesn't. What happens is that I'll write the caption and click OK, and the caption box disappears, but then nothing happens. Sometimes, but rarely, if I then go to the folder that the image is tagged with, the caption will suddenly appear there, even though it wasn't visible on the main images page. But usually that doesn't work either.

I've eventually been successful in most attempts after trying maybe 10 times each.

It has mostly worked when captioning images in the wiki, but not always there either.

Often it will work for the first time I log in, but not after that.

Avatar image for precrisisbardock
PreCrisisBardock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Try adding butter.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 owie  Moderator

Still having trouble with this. Is this not a problem for others, or do others just not caption their own images?

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#4 pikahyper  Moderator

@owie: works whenever I add captions, what browser? are you adding the caption by putting the mouse cursor in the box then typing or are you mousing over the image and in the popup toolbar hitting the Caption button so that it auto moves the text caret into the caption box? I always hit the button.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 owie  Moderator

@owie: works whenever I add captions, what browser? are you adding the caption by putting the mouse cursor in the box then typing or are you mousing over the image and in the popup toolbar hitting the Caption button so that it auto moves the text caret into the caption box? I always hit the button.

Oh, I might have been confusing...I mean captioning images on my images cache in my profile page, not in a post. So I hit "Edit/Delete Images," then the thing at the top says "entering edit mode." The "Editing 1 Images" box shows up, and I fill in a caption and/or tag. Then I hit Save. But it doesn't do anything. No caption appears, and often no tag appears, although I can usually get the tag to appear after a couple tries.

Sometimes if I put in the caption, nothing happens, but then if I go to the "folder" for that tag, the image will now be captioned. So it's sort of like the page doesn't refresh automatically.

But usually even that doesn't help, and I can't get the captions to work at all, and adding tags only works some of the time.

This is on both Chrome and Firefox.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pikahyper  Moderator

@owie: ah, the whole gallery system has been glitchy all year, tags can't even be deleted so captioning is probably a problem as well. It has been a while but I think it got broken when they tried to fix a wiki point loophole where adding captions in your own gallery awarded points.

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I remember adding captions took a lot of refreshing. If I try to add more than one caption, a window pops up asking if it's okay to leave the page. I had to add one caption at a time and save then refresh. I don't think I had same issues here.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 owie  Moderator

@owie: ah, the whole gallery system has been glitchy all year, tags can't even be deleted so captioning is probably a problem as well. It has been a while but I think it got broken when they tried to fix a wiki point loophole where adding captions in your own gallery awarded points.

Huh, OK. It was working fine until recently, maybe about a month ago was the last time I did much captioning of my own images. I don't think I've ever gotten any wiki points for captioning my own images though (as I certainly shouldn't, that's an important loophole to have closed).

It's just hard because I try to keep my pics pretty ordered and without captions it's hard to remember what's what without going in to every image separately.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pikahyper  Moderator

@owie: I don't work with images that much so all my knowledge is just generalized "common" knowledge or stuff other users have reported to me so if its just recent I'm not sure. It could be like taka's post above though, about a month ago the ability for a page to auto refresh after a change is made to an image was broken by an update, for me it means that when I make an image default the page no longer auto reloads and instead I have to refresh the page manually, for you it could be that it is affecting the caption system making you have to manually refresh things before they take effect, you might have to do a little trial and error.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 owie  Moderator
Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the same problem on Android Galaxy Note Edge.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By owie  Moderator

As a tip for others who have have this issue, I have found, based on pika's advice about refreshing above, that if I hit return on the web address bar (or hit the refresh button) after I caption an image, it will caption the image.

It doesn't work if I caption several images in a row and then refresh.

I have to caption, refresh, caption, refresh, etc.