Alt Accounts and getting banned.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By rick

I know lots of you guys create alt accounts for various reasons and that's not against our rules and its probably even part of the Comic Vine zeitgeist. The thing is, spammers do the same thing and as I've said before we're getting hit particularly hard lately. That behavior is now considered a trigger to get your alt account and your original account banned. I would suggest you don't do that at least from the same location. Create one at home and one at work and then you'll be fine. Create two or more at home and you won't. Also don't use proxies because that will get you banned just as quickly.

I'm really sorry about all of this. I hope its not a permanent thing but I'm sure you would prefer spam-free forums to having multiple alt accounts. We'll look into seeing what we can do to make this work for you but I can't promise anything and definitely can't even speculate on when.

If you did get caught up, send an email to support@comicvine.com and we'll get you restored.

Avatar image for morgana_wilshere
Morgana_Wilshere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just to clarify, does this target pre-existing accounts and people who have more than one account on a single IP address, or does this simply apply to the creation of new accounts going forward?

Gwahlur_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking strictly for myself, spam is a lot easier to ignore than getting auto-banned, frankly.

CutthroatBitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure you would prefer spam-free forums to having multiple alt accounts.

Just personally, y'know. I can ignore spam, but alternate accounts are a crucial part of my RP experience.

And let's not forget the whole "there's a range of topics - you don't know what they are and we're not going to tell you - but don't talk about them or you're getting a ban and have a nice day!" deal.

Gwahlur_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait...look at the date. This is an elaborate April Fools Day joke, isn't it?

CutthroatBitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CutthroatBitch

@gwahlur_rising: It's March 31st. And I'm pretty sure they're behind EST in time zones, not ahead.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rick

This is not April Fools joke and it only applies to newly created accounts.

Sorry, I can't ignore spam and either can the moderators. I was up until 4AM one night last week during a concentrated spam attack. These measures are necessary right now. I hate these filthy spammers for it.

If you guys need to create alts, go ahead just be aware they'll be instantly banned and you'll have to send an email to support@comicvine.com to get that undone. Just send the name of the first account, we can figure out the others.

Speedster101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: Hey. This may be a stupid question since im REALLY non techy, but what if me and say i have this account now and say my little brother wants to join CV (which is what i was hoping to do in the near future) but we have the same IP address correct? So would this not be allowed?

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gwahlur_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to lie; this still feels like the honest users are being punished for what the dishonest ones are doing, but if this is really the only way you guys can think of to deal with the matter, then I guess that's that.

Well, I got used to having my toenail clippers confiscated at the airport, so I guess I can get used to this, too.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gwahlur_rising: Honestly this does feel like that to me too. It doesn't make me happy, trust me.

@edgework: Hey. This may be a stupid question since im REALLY non techy, but what if me and say i have this account now and say my little brother wants to join CV (which is what i was hoping to do in the near future) but we have the same IP address correct? So would this not be allowed?

Its only for recent sign-ups. If your account is at least a few days old then your brother will be fine creating his.

Gwahlur_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: Wasn't trying to imply that it was being done maliciously; please don't take my frustrations personally.

Just to be extra clear, though, it sounds to me like what you saying is not "never make an alt account," but more "don't make accounts in rapid succession; wait a few days between." Am I getting this right?

Gwahlur_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: That's actually monumentally less traumatic than what it sounded like, at first. Thank you for the clarification! ^_^

The_Shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: That's actually monumentally less traumatic than what it sounded like, at first. Thank you for the clarification! ^_^

Yeah, 'Wait a few days between alts' is completely different than 'Make an alt and your instantly banned from here on out'. Nowhere nearly as bad (if that is actually the case) and possibly not even a problem at all.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't RP, but id imagine this is gonna hurt the RPrs, why not introduce a account linking function when you create a new account with # limits and any alt without linkage gets banned?

Alpha_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cgoodness: If it's really just a matter of alt account creation needing to be spaced out, this isn't that big of a deal for us. Mercy's gonna make sure there's a pinned thread in the forum that explains things. Appreciate you looking out for us, though. ^_^

Avatar image for the_caped_crusader
The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm Batman.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm Deathstroke.

BlueLuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: but this does say it's against the rules:

http://www.comicvine.com/help/#toc-0-17

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Mercy_

@blueluna said:

@edgework: but this does say it's against the rules:

http://www.comicvine.com/help/#toc-0-17

Giant Bomb is Comic Vine's sister site, and those rules were written with that site in mind, and then applied to both in the communal TOS and help pages. Alternate accounts are allowed on Comic Vine (our RPG forum thrives on them). The only time an alt comes into question is if it is being used to skirt the rules (IE ban dodge, harass other users, troll, flag relentlessly etc). Other than that, alternate accounts are definitely allowed here. It's GB where you run into problems with them, which is what that rule is referencing. The wording is a little unclear/not specific enough. But alt accounts are definitely allowed here.

Grim187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Grim187

This should have some leeway. What if there are multiple people in one household using CV??? I'm not going to share accounts so that my brother can post blasphemy on my account lol. We favor different characters and he's more "so and so stomps" versus my "so and so loses- here's why" approach.

Zeon Liafador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zeon Liafador

Something should be posted in the RP section about this because I had no clue about this and I've been having issues with banning with alternate accounts. @mercy_ can we get a post pinned over there explaining the situation?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

@zeon_liafador: Yeah. I've been meaning to do that, but have gotten caught up with schoolwork and work work. Will do so as soon as I get home today.

Zeon Liafador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

QueenAnt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers