Adding Images Only Awards Points Maybe Half the Time

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

First, Internet Explorer never works. Second, both Google Chrome and Firefox seem to work only about 50% of the time. Third, when points are awarded, they are added to your overall total and never to your point total for the character for which you added the image. Under the old system, points were always awarded and they were added to your total for a particular character, as well as your overall total and this is very important to accurately show the top 5 point persons for each character. Please help.....

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2261

User Lists: 3

I know currently images are not stored to a characters wiki history, therefore the points are not associated with the character page. Pika mentioned this awhile back but I cant recall if its working as intended or on the bug list. Now if your points are not increasing on your personal page the engineers will need to investigate.

Also when you say browsers are not working the engineers will probably need more details. Are you implying that if you use IE you never get points and the others half the time. Or the browsers dont't allow you to upload images at all?

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By catfightfan

No, no, all three browsers allow me to add the images. However, I never get points with Internet Explorer. I was advised yesterday when I complained in a different thread to try different browsers. I tried both Firefox and Google Chrome. I got points with them, but only about half the time

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By wmwadeii

And you are captioning each image individually? I have used multiple browsers and have recieved points as long as I caption (5pts) or tag (1pt), so not sure. Also you will not get points if you add an image from another page, or upload it to more than one page, as far as I know only the first counts. Maybe @mrpibb can shed some light on this.

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By catfightfan

Yes, I do caption each image individually. Sometimes I get 5 pts, sometimes 1 pt, but half the time -0- pts.

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wmwadeii

And this is only the little screen-pop, or if you check your profile it doen't increase either? I know when I add a cover it says 0 points but on my profile it does increase by 2.

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always get the little pop-up screen saying I have been awarded 5 pts or 1 pt, but when I go to check my profile, again, half the time it does not change.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By mrpibb

thanks, we'll look into this. Can you provide the objects you added images to? It'll let us track this down.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 owie  Moderator

I've found that I only get points for images if I add them to a tag, and then only 1 point for the entire set of images. So I could add 20 images at once, and get 1 point. If add them one at a time, then I'd get 20 points. This is a little annoying. On the other hand if I just add them to a character's gallery in general, with no tag, then I don't get points at all.

I get points if I write captions on images that are directly on a character's page, but if I write the captions on my profile page, then add those captioned pics to a character's page, I get no points (unless I tag them, in which case I get points for the tag, but not the captions).

I use Firefox/Mac with Mountain Lion.

wmwadeii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie: @x35 mentioned this in another thread, it's basically because this site is designed for wiki content not images. Most of the images can be found online thru a google or bing search. Now if you are taking the time to actually scan the images like I know she does, then you would probably also take the time to caption each image with the actual issue # and information. This will give you 5pts for the caption and 1pt for the tag if you so choose to tag it. Again not a lot of points but better than nothing.

I do agree that however if you tag multiple images you should get 1pt per image tagged, I also think there should be a way to click an image, edit the caption/tag, unclick and do the next image, rinse and repeat. Right now if say you upload 5 images you have edit, caption/tag save, edit caption/tag save.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 owie  Moderator

@wmwadeii said:

@owie: @x35 mentioned this in another thread, it's basically because this site is designed for wiki content not images. Most of the images can be found online thru a google or bing search. Now if you are taking the time to actually scan the images like I know she does, then you would probably also take the time to caption each image with the actual issue # and information. This will give you 5pts for the caption and 1pt for the tag if you so choose to tag it. Again not a lot of points but better than nothing.

I do agree that however if you tag multiple images you should get 1pt per image tagged, I also think there should be a way to click an image, edit the caption/tag, unclick and do the next image, rinse and repeat. Right now if say you upload 5 images you have edit, caption/tag save, edit caption/tag save.

Yes, I do all my own scanning, color-correcting, cropping, etc., plus specific captioning. I certainly don't need more than 5 points per image. I'm happy to get 1 or 2. I'd just like to get the points for all the images at once without having to add them separately. And it's a bit easier to caption them all at once in my profile page right after I upload them, and then distribute them to various pages, rather than caption them after I start distributing, so I normally don't get the captioning points.

I totally agree about the ability to caption multiple images in a row without constantly hitting the edit button. It takes me forever to caption things now. Plus, since there's no page numbering, it's almost impossible to caption multiple images if they're far down on a page now.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#12  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

because of some random glitch I haven't received a single point for adding tens of thousands of covers over the past two years, no biggie.

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The set of images I first referenced were ones for Sue Storm/Invisible Woman. I since added a few for other characters and again, I only got pts maybe half the time.

catfightfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update .... it appears lately that I receive two points for uploading an image, but only if I upload it with the issue # and assigning it to the proper sub-section. When I upload the message says that I have been awarded six points, but this rarely, if ever, happens. I tried uploading an image just now without any accompanying information and it said I received -0- points.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 owie  Moderator

Captioning doesn't seem to actually add points to my total, from what I can tell. I used to just caption images in my own profile, which I know is not supposed to give me any points. But today I was doing it in the characters' pages. I kept getting the message saying I got 6 points for each one, but when I checked my total points on my page, it didn't add them (even after a couple hours). But I did get other points instantaneously, like for tagging the images or making a new character.