I've been getting a lot of 500 errors on volume pages for about a week now, tried the same pages on multiple computers always getting 500 errors, the two most recent are The Crow: Midnight Legends and Doctor Who.
Hmm, yeah they're bugging out for me as well. I'll file a bug and see if the engineers can find anything systemic that might be causing this. Otherwise, post any other volume links that you see with the same error and we'll see about fixing them manually. Thanks!
@rorie: I can visit that Doctor Who page now but not the other. I found Star Trek and Transformers: Robots in Disguise as well, oddly enough all the volume pages that I found last night with 500 errors are all volumes published by IDW even though I was on over a hundred volume pages last night, it wasn't every IDW volume I looked at though, I don't really see how volumes attached to a single publisher could cause such a bug but I dunno maybe that can help them narrow something down.
Edit: Slightly scrap that. Superman worked when I opened the link here, but it still doesn't work on the search link. This no longer affects me as I'll keep the page open, but just though I'd inform for others.
@johnkmccubbin91: I get 500 errors on both of those, if you want it for reviews though search for the specific issue, adding the pound sign will switch to issue searching and you can go directly to the issue instead of the volume page.
I've been having a lot of problems with this over the last week or so and it's been a lot of different volumes. I found that some of them could be fixed by adding a '-' where one is missing but some of them have no place to put one without it being completely wrong.
@rorie: whatever it is it is getting worse, at least half the existing volumes I go to these days are showing 500 errors, this might be seen as a small problem but this could be having a negative impact on CV's search engine rankings.
I can't give any helpful specifics but I've had trouble loading most pages (or even getting the homepage to open) on and off for the last hour or so. Several times I didn't even get to the 500 page, but I did hit it at least once.
This happened to me too.
Not sure if related or separate issue, but my notifications no longer seem to work either. None of the mentions of me in the last couple hours have generated notifications. Of course it's a minor miracle I was able to view the pages on which I was mentioned in the first place, haha.
I was scurred. Like an hour ago I thought the whole site crashed.
whole site did crash, GB too.
I actually presumed it was the other way around. With the tragedy GB faced today, I imagine their site traffic was inordinately high.
It seems to be a totally random error in terms of what volumes are affected or not - old and new, different publishers (though I have not seen any affected Marvel volume yet), number of issues listed (less and more). The only patterns is it only affects some volume and no other pages.
It's a mystery!
@akbogert: I don't think it was traffic, pretty sure it was an update that was pushed out, it was fixed after an hour and a half but it looks like some other stuff got broken.
Anyways the site problems yesterday are not what this thread was about so time to get it back on track.
@donfelipe: hmm you are right, I have yet to land on a Marvel volume that produced a 500 error since this started, so far it has been Dark Horse, Viz, DC, IDW, Dynamite, Boom and Vertigo, don't think I've seen it happen with any other publishers yet.
The volumes should be working now. Turns out some of the larger lists associated with those volumes were taking longer then we expected.
Thanks for fixing the volume pages.
Wow! Some of those lists have +10k list items; for instance the first 2 lists associated with DC comics presents Metal Men. I think there should be a maximum number for list items. These lists don't make sense. It takes ages to browse such long lists in this format. Maybe it's just me preferring small lists. Anyhow, I think the performance problem here has something to do with a bad query (join) selecting and caching too much data at once that isn't necessarily needed for the view/page.