• 128 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#51 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio
Captain Atom said:
"Ultimate Spiderman
New Avengers
HOUSE OF M
MIGHTY AVENGERS
Ultimate X-Men



I've read bendis' work.  He's among the worse writers of the day.  Period."
points  ATTENTION WHORE!!!
Moderator
#52 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

New Avengers is good.

#53 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
"Batman: Year One?
Dare Devil?

Elektra?
"
Batman:Year One is absolute garbage.I baby brother could have written better dialouge
He ruined DD
He turned Elektra in a heroine addicted whore
Moderator
#54 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"John Valentine said:
"Batman: Year One?
Dare Devil?

Elektra?
"
Batman:Year One is absolute garbage.I baby brother could have written better dialouge
He ruined DD
He turned Elektra in a heroine addicted whore
"
Elektra was on drugs? I thought Karen Page was?
#55 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
"Vance Astro said:
"John Valentine said:
"Batman: Year One?
Dare Devil?

Elektra?
"
Batman:Year One is absolute garbage.I baby brother could have written better dialouge
He ruined DD
He turned Elektra in a heroine addicted whore
"
Elektra was on drugs? I thought Karen Page was?"
Elektra was and she got killed by Bullseye...they retconned both of those incidents..well they didn't act like she didn't die they had her revived with a ninja technique.
Moderator
#56 Posted by inferiorego (28313 posts) - - Show Bio
Captain Atom said:
"Ultimate Spiderman
New Avengers
HOUSE OF M
MIGHTY AVENGERS
Ultimate X-Men



I've read bendis' work.  He's among the worse writers of the day.  Period."
You're ridiculous. And I believe you're looking for "worst writers".... Sassyness out of the way.... How can you say he's one of the worst writers of the day when Claremont has a chunk of books on Marvel? Or how about the numerous terrible indy writers that are popular? i.e. Grimm's Fairy Tales & Tarot, for starters.

If he is as terrible as you think he is, why does everyone like him? Are you the only person in the world that knows his true being?


Ult Spiderman- Has is good and bad issues, overall a 3 star book
New Avengers- You know you have to read this book right? You just can't look at the pictures to get the story. Phenomenal book, especially when it gets into the conspiracy/skrull arc. 5 stars overall
House of M- No idea why everyone rags on this, it was fun... It's ok to have fun while reading a comic. 3 star book
Might Avengers- Again, fun book... 3 stars
Ult X-Men-I've never read an issue, but judging from everything else, it's probably not terrible.

As for Halo, it sucks. Terrible franchise, terrible book....

Not every comic he writes can be gold, or at least silver. He's a talented writer.
Staff
#57 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"John Valentine said:
"Vance Astro said:
"John Valentine said:
"Batman: Year One?
Dare Devil?

Elektra?
"
Batman:Year One is absolute garbage.I baby brother could have written better dialouge
He ruined DD
He turned Elektra in a heroine addicted whore
"
Elektra was on drugs? I thought Karen Page was?"
Elektra was and she got killed by Bullseye...they retconned both of those incidents..well they didn't act like she didn't die they had her revived with a ninja technique."
Okies... I've never been into Daredevil that much... I mean i like him but I've never bought any issues.
#58 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
"Vance Astro said:
"John Valentine said:
"Vance Astro said:
"John Valentine said:
"Batman: Year One?
Dare Devil?

Elektra?
"
Batman:Year One is absolute garbage.I baby brother could have written better dialouge
He ruined DD
He turned Elektra in a heroine addicted whore
"
Elektra was on drugs? I thought Karen Page was?"
Elektra was and she got killed by Bullseye...they retconned both of those incidents..well they didn't act like she didn't die they had her revived with a ninja technique."
Okies... I've never been into Daredevil that much... I mean i like him but I've never bought any issues."
Well people like the credit Millar with making DD who he is but for me it was Karl Kessel..he made DD fight opponents that weren't random street levelers..and he had a purpose.He wasn't jut going out and beating the sh#t out of people for no reason.Bendis and Brubaker did alot for making DD a great character lately.
Moderator
#59 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"Captain Atom said:
"bendis is the worse writer...ever."
Correction..Frank Miller is the worst writer ever."
Correction, the worst writer is Bruce Jones

Bruce Jones literally turned Jason Todd into a squid
#60 Posted by inferiorego (28313 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Captain Atom said:
"bendis is the worse writer...ever."
Correction..Frank Miller is the worst writer ever."
Correction, the worst writer is Bruce Jones

Bruce Jones literally turned Jason Todd into a squid
"
My favorite thing about that whole horrid storyline, is that it was never mentioned again....
Staff
#61 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
"Vance Astro said:
"John Valentine said:
"Vance Astro said:
"John Valentine said:
"Vance Astro said:
"John Valentine said:
"Batman: Year One?
Dare Devil?

Elektra?
"
Batman:Year One is absolute garbage.I baby brother could have written better dialouge
He ruined DD
He turned Elektra in a heroine addicted whore
"
Elektra was on drugs? I thought Karen Page was?"
Elektra was and she got killed by Bullseye...they retconned both of those incidents..well they didn't act like she didn't die they had her revived with a ninja technique."
Okies... I've never been into Daredevil that much... I mean i like him but I've never bought any issues."
Well people like the credit Millar with making DD who he is but for me it was Karl Kessel..he made DD fight opponents that weren't random street levelers..and he had a purpose.He wasn't jut going out and beating the sh#t out of people for no reason.Bendis and Brubaker did alot for making DD a great character lately."
I like Echo a lot: she was/is probably my second favorite New Avenger...
Plus I generally like Bendis's and Brubaker's (not as of late though) stuff.
"
I agree I love Echo but I still like Bendis and Brubaker's work.
Moderator
#62 Posted by inferiorego (28313 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah

Staff
#63 Posted by inferiorego (28313 posts) - - Show Bio

The nightwing/jason todd stuff was awesome until that stuff happened

Staff
#64 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
"The nightwing/jason todd stuff was awesome until that stuff happened"
Tbh I don't really like Nightwing, the series that much... 
#65 Posted by inferiorego (28313 posts) - - Show Bio

The mobbed up run was really good, but sadly that is about it

Staff
#66 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
"Haha Nighthunter told me not to get that trade... but I wouldn't listen....
@ Vance: I'm not a fan of Brubaler's X-Men atm, that's what I meant.
"
haha told you, you should have listened...

inferiorego said:
"The mobbed up run was really good, but sadly that is about it"
no, all of the run sucked in so many ways...

We are going off-topic though so let's return to the general conversation, I don't consider Bendis a bad writer in any way, he is a good one actually, but I have a few issues with his work, one of them is that I feel that he writes all female characters the same way, but amybe that's just me
#67 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
"Haha Nighthunter told me not to get that trade... but I wouldn't listen....
@ Vance: I'm not a fan of Brubaler's X-Men atm, that's what I meant.
"
I see what you mean..Brubaker's X-men stuff isn't great but it won't drastically change X-men though..I don't think.
Moderator
#68 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

The guy's got talent but he's lazy as all hell.

If you take his work on Ultimate Spider-Man, that was good.  Why?  Because he couldn't possibly make a continuity error or write somebody out of character if he had written the whole thing.

Now, put him on a book like New Avengers and suddenly everybody is acting out of character, dead characters are showing up and nobody questions it, power levels are all skewed, etc.  The man has no business writing established characters.  None whatsoever.  He's simply too lazy to read backstory.  All characters are just going to act like however they need to act like for his story.

Still, he's not as bad as Winnick, Austen or Hudlin even on his worst day.

#69 Edited by grkpektis (141 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to love his work on daredevil, powers, alias and ultimate spider-man (not at all avengers).  But now everything he writes is garbage except for ultimate spider-man (most of the time).  I hate his dialogue no one talks like that, plus he is such a lazy bastard, he will fill half his books with bull just so he can take more of our money.  I remember an issue of spider-man were he was just explaining his life to aunt may and she kept on saying wow or thats amazing (you call that good dialogue).

#70 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope Bendis doesn't turn into Frank Miller.Miller went from a writer who gave you a new look at a character to the biggest piece of sh#t ever.Bendis has written some amazing books.SI was a bit of a let down but you know what it's not over..there are still some tie-ins that aren't finished.I like Bendis's work overall though.

Moderator
#71 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis doesn't bother me. In fact I quite enjoy most of his work.

#72 Posted by inferiorego (28313 posts) - - Show Bio

Secret Invasion=Garbage
Bendis overall=Awesome

Staff
#73 Posted by TheDrifter (26563 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Captain Atom said:
"bendis is the worse writer...ever."
Correction..Frank Miller is the worst writer ever."
Correction, the worst writer is Bruce Jones

Bruce Jones literally turned Jason Todd into a squid
"
Bruce Jones and Frank Miller = Epic fail
#74 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with everyone who thinks Bendis is solid with dialogue and character development. When he writes the heroes of the Marvel universe they all feel like real people to me and he has an ear for how people really talk. Unfortunately, he doesn't  always do his research when it comes to continuity which leads to things like the sudden resurrection of the Purple Man. He also can't do big, blockbuster stories. All his crossover events pretty much suck. It took him most of House of M to get all the heroes together in one place (in fact getting everyone in one place felt like the point of it) and we spent most of Secret Invasion in the goddamn Savage Land. He doesn't know how to pace big stories and his battle scenes end up being quick, confusing cluster-flubs. I wish more writers would take a lesson from his characters and dialogue, but I never want to read another Bendis crossover again.

#75 Posted by gunswordfist (2669 posts) - - Show Bio

Love him. Ultimate Spider-Man is beyond great.

#76 Posted by Strafe Prower (11892 posts) - - Show Bio

After What he did to Avengers Hate isn't big enough of a word.

Before that he was ok.
#77 Posted by Night Thrasher (3709 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis is okay on a single book. But when an entire universe has to take his lead in company crossover after company crossover, then his material is saturated and blacks out other great writers and characters

#78 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio
Nighthunter said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Captain Atom said:
"bendis is the worse writer...ever."
Correction..Frank Miller is the worst writer ever."
Correction, the worst writer is Bruce Jones

"

Correction. the worst writer in the world is Geoff Johns

M
#79 Posted by King Hyperion (3714 posts) - - Show Bio
Methos said:
"Nighthunter said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Captain Atom said:
"bendis is the worse writer...ever."
Correction..Frank Miller is the worst writer ever."
Correction, the worst writer is Bruce Jones

"

Correction. the worst writer in the world is Geoff Johns

M
"
Correction. The Worst Writer in the World is Jeph Loeb.
#80 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

it's not a popularity contest

#81 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
King Hyperion said:
"Methos said:
"Nighthunter said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Captain Atom said:
"bendis is the worse writer...ever."
Correction..Frank Miller is the worst writer ever."
Correction, the worst writer is Bruce Jones"

Correction. the worst writer in the world is Geoff Johns

M"
Correction. The Worst Writer in the World is Jeph Loeb."

Bruce Jones is horrible.

I guess none of the rest of you have ever read a comic by Jones...or Chuck Austen...or Judd Winnick...or Hudlin.

Which, you know, is a good thing. :-D
#82 Posted by Night Thrasher (3709 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce Jones killed the Hulk

#83 Posted by Night Thrasher (3709 posts) - - Show Bio
Night Thrasher said:
"Bruce Jones killed the Hulk
"
Meaning that after his run; the hulk was dead to me
#84 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"John Valentine said:
"Haha Nighthunter told me not to get that trade... but I wouldn't listen....
@ Vance: I'm not a fan of Brubaler's X-Men atm, that's what I meant.
"
I see what you mean..Brubaker's X-men stuff isn't great but it won't drastically change X-men though..I don't think."
Brubaker shouldn't write characters with powers imo
#85 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio
Zoom said:
"King Hyperion said:
"Methos said:
"Nighthunter said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Captain Atom said:
"bendis is the worse writer...ever."
Correction..Frank Miller is the worst writer ever."
Correction, the worst writer is Bruce Jones"

Correction. the worst writer in the world is Geoff Johns

M"
Correction. The Worst Writer in the World is Jeph Loeb."

Bruce Jones is horrible.

I guess none of the rest of you have ever read a comic by Jones...or Chuck Austen...or Judd Winnick...or Hudlin.

Which, you know, is a good thing. :-D"
Geoff Johns is probably the best of the worst.There's no way he's worse than Hudlin,Miller,Winnick,or Loeb.
Moderator
#86 Posted by ComicCrazy (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he did a great job on POWERS and ULTIMATE SPIDERMAN but apart from that he is just alright.

#87 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"Geoff Johns is probably the best of the worst.There's no way he's worse than Hudlin,Miller,Winnick,or Loeb."
Methos is just sore about all the Green Lantern retcons.

Which is fair.  He really has just piled up retcon after retcon and mediocre story after mediocre story on that book.

But he's done really well on other comics and just okay on some others.  Green Lantern is the only book Johns has flat out sucked on besides maybe Infinite Crisis.

As opposed to Hudlin, Jones, Winnick, Loeb, Austen and Bendis who suck at pretty much everything they do.
#88 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio
Zoom said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Geoff Johns is probably the best of the worst.There's no way he's worse than Hudlin,Miller,Winnick,or Loeb."
Methos is just sore about all the Green Lantern retcons.

Which is fair.  He really has just piled up retcon after retcon and mediocre story after mediocre story on that book.

But he's done really well on other comics and just okay on some others.  Green Lantern is the only book Johns has flat out sucked on besides maybe Infinite Crisis.

As opposed to Hudlin, Jones, Winnick, Loeb, Austen and Bendis who suck at pretty much everything they do.
"
Bendis IMO is the best of the worst.I think someone made him think it was ok to write bullsh#t because he started off good.
Moderator
#89 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"I think someone made him think it was ok to write bullsh#t because he started off good."
That'd be Marvel Comics.  They still pay Hudlin month after month.  Clearly, writing bad stories won't make you lose your job at Marvel.

Not that DC is any better about that.
#90 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio
Zoom said:
"Vance Astro said:
"I think someone made him think it was ok to write bullsh#t because he started off good."
That'd be Marvel Comics.  They still pay Hudlin month after month.  Clearly, writing bad stories won't make you lose your job at Marvel.

Not that DC is any better about that.
"
I can't argue with that.
Moderator
#91 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (261 posts) - - Show Bio

Big fan of Bendis, his characters always feel authentic and his dialogue is interesting if a bit too verbose at times. 
 
I have to give him huge respect for his positive influence on the Marvel universe as a whole: who knows where the company would be creatively without voices such as his, Mark Millar and Ed Brubaker this decade.

#92 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

ROFLMAO it went from the beginning of the thread, which was like, praising Bendis and ragging on his haters, to where EVERYONE hates him. xDDDDDDDD
#93 Edited by OhTru (1556 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gottheit said:
"

He killed Hawkeye?! He's my favorite writer ever!

"
Sentry really became his pet character and the most powerful telepath on Earth  

then Sentry went back to being a wimp, a cry baby
and hides in the corner during the whole Skrull business. The Skrulls who once owned an entire Galaxy are also pretty pathetic, the green aliens can barely invade Earth and the conclusion was lame 

Wanda gets turned into this mass murdering psychopath, Strange became a fool, Tony a broken mindless vegetable, the Gods in Asgard get taken out by Daken
and Bendis loves Norman Osborn

 
 As a writer he was given way too much control over Marvel
Bendis disassembled the entire Marvel Universe
#94 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7968 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think anyone should really have that much influence over the entire Marvel or any other comic universe for that matter. It's unhealthy for the variety that can be achieved by several people working to there strengths in diffrent areas.

#95 Posted by BatDance (2206 posts) - - Show Bio
@Methos said:
" Correction. the worst writer in the world is Geoff Johns
 
M "
Bendis made more screw ups
#96 Posted by burr787 (2422 posts) - - Show Bio

Other than Ultimate Spiderman, everything else that I read from him has been pretty mediocre.

#97 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVED ultimate spiderman when written by Bendis. It was just...Ultimate ! (Yeah, Iknow this one was easy !) 
 
I am a HUGE fan of POWERS, period, it was one of his best work. 
 
BUT... 
 
The whole work on the Marvel Universe, Dark Reign (Too long...), Sentry (I haven't go there...), Secret Invasion and Civil War (Good concept badly handled) was a ajor pain in the @$$ for me. 
 
So it's an all or nothing for me. There' no middle ground when I think of Bendis. 
#98 Posted by Dane (10649 posts) - - Show Bio

hate.

#99 Posted by Vance Astro (91415 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dane said:
" hate. "
Moderator
#100 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15040 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Dane said:
" hate. "
"
Not what you were saying the first two pages =]