• 128 results
#1 Posted by Captain Cascader (1284 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis seems to be one of those polarizing writers. Some people love him, others can't stand him. I've got a buddy who simply refuses to talk about Bendis Daredevil.

I seem to be iffy on him. I liked his early Daredevil stuff when he took over from Smith, but at a certain point he just became a broken record.

What I really enjoyed of his though was Powers which I thought was one of the cooler books for a couple years. Anyways, since we're all new here I figured it'd be interesting to see which side of the fence everyone stands on.

Staff
#2 Posted by tyger_raven (74 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I've read of Powers and his other created stuff, he's not a bad writer. But, I take issue with his work at Marvel. To me, he ruined the Avengers in a way that I don't know will ever be fixed. And, House of M was a major yawner. I used to read his Ultimate Spider-Man, that is until the Ultimate Hobgoblin arc where it took four of the five issues before Hobby even made an appearance! That to me was too much. I know that Marvel (and DC) want to create nice long stories that can fit into a trade easily, but c'mon, if it takes you four issues to get to the main part of the story, then something is just really, really wrong.

#3 Posted by NerdMan (19 posts) - - Show Bio

I absolutely love the early issues of USM, so I don't think I can ever truly hate Bendis no matter what he does. Sure, his stories are ridiculously expanded, but he has written some absolutely fantastic dialogue (see anything involving Ultimate Spidey and the Kingpin) and does a young Peter Parker better than I've seen...well, just about anywhere.

#4 Posted by venomjr (243 posts) - - Show Bio

Love his work Ultimate Spiderman and New Avengers just kicked butt. I think he is one of the best comic book writers period.

#5 Posted by Labor__Days (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man and his Avengers stuff. However, it was reading Powers (Daredevil too) that ultimately won me over. Love Bendis' writing.

(I should have prefaced this by saying I read a lot of trades. So I'm behind some books.)
Post Edited:2006-12-13 23:21:43

#6 Posted by Greigh (29 posts) - - Show Bio

After reading some of the later Daredevil issues, I've completely turned away from his reading.

Hate him.

#7 Posted by Zero (31 posts) - - Show Bio

First of all, his dialogue and character developments have no rival.

From what i have read/heard his crime/noir stories are great (daredevil, alias, the pulse) but his more super heroe oriented work is not so good.

#8 Posted by Chediablo (101 posts) - - Show Bio

He makes for interesting reading, his dialog, as Zero mentoned before me, has no rival (a bit of hyperbole there).

He generally has very good work, but has two main issues.

1. He miserably fails at some classic comic book conventionalities. Ex: Comic book science. He basically explains Utltimate Carnage as evil DNA with legs. WTF?

2. He lets his preferences be shown too often. His likes and dislikes become a very determining factor in his writing. Ex: The way he screwed Scarlet Witch over in Avengers: Disassembled, and immediatly screwing her some more in House of M.
    Post Edited:2006-12-14 21:58:09

#9 Posted by Greigh (29 posts) - - Show Bio

I was browsing through my local comic shop and I saw the first issue of Powers for 21$! I have to say after flipping through it I am considering picking up the series.

#10 Posted by Zombie Boy (35 posts) - - Show Bio

i love powers and im ok with the rest... although i am a huge spidy fan and i cant seem to get into ultimate, im not saying its bad im just saying i cant really feel for the ulitimate peter since ive read the 616 peter for so long

#11 Posted by Burning Spade (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally like Bendis, but writers need to adopt a new way of telling stories like Robert Kirkman. Stories would be better if there were no arcs or anything. Just one great story.

#12 Posted by Mind (256 posts) - - Show Bio

I freaking love Bendis, he was born to write spiderman, USM is the best. What i've read of him in daredevil I loved, Alias = awesome. I liked what he did in UFF too.

#13 Posted by Kaiho13 (37 posts) - - Show Bio

I am a "Bendis bitch" to tell you the least. Not in the degree of my Ellis "bitchness" but close enough.

he can kill all the Hawkeyes he wants if you ask me, as long as he writes marvel comics.

ok .. he should avoid killing Havok ;-)

#14 Posted by Teh_Exploder (80 posts) - - Show Bio

He killed Hawkeye and sometimes he gets long winded, but his dialouge is great and I love Daredevil and Ultimate Spiderman. Also, He brought back Luke Cage and now I am in his Debt.

#15 Posted by Scarlet (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I love his writing. I just like how the dialog reads, and Bendis wrote the only comic that has ever made me cry (House of M #7). What I do hate is how he seems to have trouble with continuity. Grr.

#16 Posted by Intervener (453 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a big fan of Bendis (Ultimate Spider-Man is the book that got me into comics.)

I actually have to write a letter to him tonight for English, asking what book he would recommend that I read, as well as why I chose him.

Anyone think that he'll actually write back?

#17 Posted by Walkingstone (10723 posts) - - Show Bio

Well why not? A lot of writers reply to their fans.

#18 Posted by Prodigal Son (3472 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

And for the record, I'm ok with Bendis, but not a huge fan or hater either way.

Post Edited:2007-03-29 16:26:40

#19 Posted by Mind (256 posts) - - Show Bio

Have I mentioned my undying obsession with the man?

#20 Posted by Fourpower (R.I.P) (2021 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Ultimate Spider-Man. The Avengers thing is okay, but I like his dialogue. I'll ride the fence on this one.

#21 Posted by Icoop (310 posts) - - Show Bio

His stuff is okay, I like that his massive crossover events have, or at least appear to have lasting effects, where past events such as Onslaught have pretty much no reprecussions in the long run. Avengers: Dis., House of M, the whole one event leading to another and even things like Secret War, taking Fury out as a player in Civil War...it might just be because the Marvel U. hasnt had any stability since he got his hands on it though.

I don't see whats so great about his dialogue. I read the hardback for USM and it seemed overrated and almost tedious to read, like I was reading it just to prove something.

I haven't read Powers but I love the premise and the penciller, if that amounts for anything.

#22 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's overrated. Marvel act like he's the second coming of Stan Lee, but he's not that good. The whole ultimate line is rehashing stuff other people did (generally pretty well). It's good for newer readers and I like some of them, I just don't think it warrants a great deal of praise.
Post Edited:2007-03-29 19:07:08

#23 Posted by The Mighty Thor (7470 posts) - - Show Bio

i think bendis gives out good points

#24 Posted by War Cry (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I like what I've read so far from him. I haven't read too much of his Ultimate Spidey stuff so I can't comment about it.

#25 Posted by G-Man (30213 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Spider-Man has been great. Sad to see Bagley go but Bendis' writing has been top notch.

Staff
#26 Posted by The Mighty Thor (7470 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"Ultimate Spider-Man has been great. Sad to see Bagley go but Bendis' writing has been top notch."

i like ultimate spiderman i just don't like ultimate venom and carnage

#27 Posted by zero edge (3692 posts) - - Show Bio

He needs to start working on Spider-Woman damnit.

#28 Posted by G-Man (30213 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you mean Ultimate Spider-Woman or regular?
Post Edited:2007-07-25 01:11:10

Staff
#29 Posted by The Mighty Thor (7470 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"Do you mean *Ultimate* Spider-Woman or regular?
Post Edited:2007-07-25 01:11:10"

i think he means ultimate spider woman

#30 Posted by G-Man (30213 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked how he did Ultimate Spider-Girl. I'd take either if he did it. The guy writes so much though. How many books can he handle?

Staff
#31 Posted by zero edge (3692 posts) - - Show Bio

I meant regular... she was supposed to get her own series after Origins. But he says he'll do it after Halo.
Post Edited:2007-07-25 01:16:56

#32 Posted by G-Man (30213 posts) - - Show Bio

Halo...that's a title I won't be reading.

Staff
#33 Posted by Dr. Jackal (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically, if he writes it, I'll read it. He brought characters back to comics. Does he hit it EVERY time? Okay, not every time ("Not like this...like THIS!"). But most of the time, his stuff is such a pleasure to read that I wish he was writing even MORE books than he is now.

#34 Posted by Vance Astro (91052 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Bendis (no-homo).

#35 Posted by sora_thekey (8149 posts) - - Show Bio

Love him best writter. Plus all things that go against his writting in USM we have to remember it is Ultimate things are re-made so there can't be expectation to recreations. House of M affected the whole universe so whatever your opinons are aout his writing he made Scarlet Witch destroy the universe. I look up to his art I mean someone who can keep Avengers make them intreasting and USM at the same time must be a genius or maybe a Skrull...

#36 Posted by cadaver (143 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't seem to research his topics. Soy milk is common in Canada. (New Avengers #22)

#37 Posted by Gottheit (3473 posts) - - Show Bio

He killed Hawkeye?! He's my favorite writer ever!

#38 Posted by Hawkingbird (350 posts) - - Show Bio

He has great moments and bad moments.

Alias : Phenomenal. Awesome. This should be considered an American classic.
New/Mighty Avengers?: They can fail and they can do good. A good example of doing good is the way the story flows, like how he didn't bring Daredevil into the book even though he (and I!) wanted to, because it wouldn't have made much sense. A good example of bad is how he pretty much ignored the fact that Maya Lopez took down the entire Hand clan by herself, and focused entirely on her needing rescue.

#39 Posted by Captain Atom (52 posts) - - Show Bio

bendis is the worse writer...ever.

#40 Posted by _Obsidian_ (5028 posts) - - Show Bio
Captain Atom said:
"bendis is the worse writer...ever."
Somehow I disbelieve you've read enough comics to be authorized to say that ;)
#41 Posted by G-Man (30213 posts) - - Show Bio

It's pretty impressive.  Look at the sales figure this guy has.  If he's the worst writer ever, Marvel must be making a killing off the sales from all their other writers that must be better than Bendis since he's the "worst."

Staff
#42 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio
Gottheit said:
"

He killed Hawkeye?! He's my favorite writer ever!

"
He then brought him back.
#43 Posted by Vance Astro (91052 posts) - - Show Bio
Captain Atom said:
Correction..Frank Miller is the worst writer ever.
#44 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"Captain Atom said:
Correction..Frank Miller is the worst writer ever."
What about Dark Knight?
#45 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

He's my Fav!. Here's why. (I couldn't figure out how to link the single blog but it should be the first one from the top.)

#46 Posted by Captain Atom (52 posts) - - Show Bio

you realize there's a difference between Ray Palmer and Captain Atom...right?

#47 Edited by inferiorego (21094 posts) - - Show Bio
G~man said:
"

Halo...that's a title I won't be reading.

"
Don't worry only three issues have come out since you're post... which was over a year ago. So you can still catch up!
Staff
#48 Posted by Vance Astro (91052 posts) - - Show Bio
John Valentine said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Captain Atom said:
Correction..Frank Miller is the worst writer ever."
What about Dark Knight?"
I'm not going to call someone a good writer for writing one good book.
#49 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman: Year One?

Dare Devil?

Elektra?
#50 Posted by Captain Atom (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Spiderman
New Avengers
HOUSE OF M
MIGHTY AVENGERS
Ultimate X-Men

I've read bendis' work.  He's among the worse writers of the day.  Period.