undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

This is an absolutely perfect jumping-on issue. There’s little reference to what happened in the previous six issues and we open on a flashback that I’m not sure is canonical, but definitely fits within the narrative of the story on Black Widow doing some wetwork in San Francisco in that nebulous time known only as “Years Ago” and having a run-in with Daredevil, who was operating out of the City at the time. We pick up in the present with Widow arriving back in San Francisco. Now that Murdock’s back in town, his appearance again was only a matter of time, but he actually plays a very minor role, all told. We get to see Natasha’s daily preparation on a more mundane level than we usually get. The world’s most together Russian spy has her rituals but she’s usually portrayed as ultra-glamorous, so seeing her go through motions like brushing her teeth humanizes her to an almost shocking degree. This is, indeed, her life outside of the Avengers. Nathan Edmonson is doing so much in an incredibly short amount of time to develop what was already a strong character into the kind they make entire franchises out of.

Phil Noto’s art continues to be absolutely gorgeous, and the fact that he handles it from top to bottom is nothing short of incredible. He uses color expertly to instantly set a tone and mood in every single panel: the night time opening is grim, dark and dreary while the daytime is almost blindingly bright and overwhelming, mimicking the covert operative’s discomfort on being in the open. There’s so much more to the art than simply communicating what exactly is happening on the surface, there are layers upon layers and it makes rereads a treat.

The Bad

Daredevil’s presence in this issue is extremely secondary, and while he may play into the storyline later, he just seems to be here for the sake of being here. This issue feels like both the beginning and end of a storyline because there are a TON of loose ends introduced, but the issue’s end has an odd sense of finality.

The Verdict

Whether it’s a standalone one-shot, or the beginning of something new, it’s worth checking out. Black Widow has never been better than this and the writing and visuals compliment and work off of each other so amazingly well, that I’m having a hard time envisioning her being done better than this in the future. There’re very few superheroics to be found here, and the few there are don’t contradict the tone, but don’t let that dissuade you: this is one of the most interesting, ongoing books being put out by ANY publisher.

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

havent read this issue yet but this book continues to deliver every month.. good review

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

havent read this issue yet but this book continues to deliver every month.. good review

it was great

Avatar image for twix_right_side
Twix_Right_Side

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dotwilson said:

it was great

Agreed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

This book is just soooo good.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This tale could absolutely work as a one shot. But I'm seeing a lot of foreshadowing. Natasha is starting to lose herself to the job, I expect trouble to come looking for Isaiah and I wouldn't be surprised to see this cyberterrorist cell pop up again. Really looking forward to the next issue.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Those few panels with Daredevil are better than anything Waid has done since he started writing the character.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those few panels with Daredevil are better than anything Waid has done since he started writing the character.

QFT!!!!

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

This issue was fantastic. This is one of my favorite series right now

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@aliltron said:

This issue was fantastic. This is one of my favorite series right now

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Havent checked this out yet but the good CV reviews plus my new found appreciation for Nathan Edmonson and his Punisher series definitely makes me want to.

Avatar image for brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie
brinkthemoviemyfavoritemovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HA!

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

Really liked the book as well

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

QFT!!!!

I would commit crimes if we could AT LEAST get DD drawn/colored like that on a regular basis

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

QFT!!!!

I would commit crimes if we could AT LEAST get DD drawn/colored like that on a regular basis

That's the dream

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

Am I the only one who was bugged by how Natasha was able to go from underwater to the top of a building seemingly in a matter of seconds to get the drop on the sniper?

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This had one shot written all over it. Good issue but can we get back to story arcs?

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep thinking the quality of writing will have to give at some point with this title and I feel such relief when I am proven wrong with each new book. This job wasn't as interesting as Natasha's previous ones but getting to see her showcase her physical abilities and skill is always a plus. And Noto is Noto. Every page deserves to be framed and mounted.

I lingered over those panels with him, just because I had my Matt back. If only for a little while.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By daredevil21134

I keep thinking the quality of writing will have to give at some point with this title and I feel such relief when I am proven wrong with each new book. This job wasn't as interesting as Natasha's previous ones but getting to see her showcase her physical abilities and skill is always a plus. And Noto is Noto. Every page deserves to be framed and mounted.

@jonny_anonymous said:

I lingered over those panels with him, just because I had my Matt back. If only for a little while.

I like you,you should come join our Daredevil discussion in the Daredevil forums

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

del_alejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm liking this book so far and i absolutely loved those final 2 pages with Nat in Costa Rica! Great to see actual places i walk by every day in comics! Thanks Noto.