undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Nate Edmonson has officially perfected Black Widow’s internal monologue as well as the tone and tenor of this book. From her first moments on-panel, we’re treated to an incredibly analytic series of text boxes that let the reader know, while things look bad, Romanova is completely in control. When the trap springs, it’s not surprising, but it still feels great to see. We get some closure on the series’ recurring antagonist, some backstory on what exactly brought Damon Dran to this low point, and an incredible ending that, once again, lets the reader know that this is only the beginning of the series, and storyline. We get more Maria Hill and her plausible deniability, and I love it when Hill is firing on all points, doing the full-on S.H.I.E.L.D. spycraft. There’s even an event near the end that winks about the similarities between this title’s mission statement and another “Avengers off-time” book.

As great as the writing is at setting tone, Phil Noto’s art and colors are the real stand-outs in that department. Even a bright, sunny day seems murky and mysterious in this comic, and there isn’t much sunshine to be seen. The scenes on the ship all look like they’re taking place in a dense fog that the characters can still, somehow, be seen through. The colors are muted and mellow, looking washed-out without looking dull. This is an extremely visually arresting book, no small feat for how subdued everything looks.

The Bad

We see the return of the Hammer of God, but his appearance causes two minor problems. The first is that he’s completely unrecognizable in his current state, so his reveal is kneecapped until it’s clarified who he is (he winds up looking EXACTLY like a larger version of the main antagonist, adding to the confusion) and the fight with him is extremely brief, feeling more like the tying up of a loose end than a real fight. Which may be an intentional choice, but either way it winds up ringing hollow.

The Verdict

An amazing debut followed by a great first arc has made this a must-buy and a book to eagerly anticipate. Its tone is even more geared toward espionage than Secret Avengers was and it is another great example of using the medium of superheroics to tell different, fresh stories. The art establishes the tone, the writing plays perfectly into it, the creators work amazingly together. If you were reticent about starting a new series, this one is absolutely worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

It sold out at my store again.. So bought it off Ebay. Sucks waiting..

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It sold out at my store again.. So bought it off Ebay. Sucks waiting..

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Loved that Hawkeye cameo

Avatar image for sleepbutnodream15
Sleepbutnodream15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I honestly had no idea that was the Hammer of God at first...his appearance here felt very random and seemed to only serve as a way of giving Natasha something to beat-up on.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Good issue, but man did it go quickly. Hammer of God, although I'm sure he won't be gone for long, was defeated was to easily.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like how the grittiness of the character is front and centre and also the respect (and expectation of success) given by Hill. SHIELD knows its operatives and Natasha deserves to be at the top which is shown here beautifully, and I mean that artistically as well.

The Hawkeye cameo made me laugh out loud (loved it!).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how the grittiness of the character is front and centre and also the respect (and expectation of success) given by Hill. SHIELD knows its operatives and Natasha deserves to be at the top which is shown here beautifully, and I mean that artistically as well.

The Hawkeye cameo made me laugh out loud (loved it!).

Loved that Hawkeye cameo

Wait, that was Hawkeye?

Anyway, awesome issue. Hope Molot comes back.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32