inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

While there are currently no directors attached to the project, Marvel may be closing a deal with a writer. According to The Wrap, writer Joe Robert Cole is nearing a deal to write the upcoming Black Panther film. At this point, Marvel had no comment on the information.

Joe Robert Cole is known for the 2011 film Amber Lake, as well as being attached to the 2019 Inhumans film from Marvel as well. If this turns out to be fact, it would make sense, since Cole is already attached to another film.

Kevin Feige will produce the film, which will star Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa. Andy Serkis is expected to return as Klaw, who was seen in Avengers:Age of Ultron.

Black Panther is set to come out on July 6, 2018.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 86

Awesome...I'm looking forward to it.

TheSpoiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

You mean his writing history doesn't consist of bad comedies? Pretty surprising since it's Marvel.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

who? never heard of this guy or amber lake.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wish there was more info about the inhumans movie. I know it's ages away but excited to see how everyone will look with it presumably being the most heavy sfx movie they will do

scbetton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never heard of him or Amber lake but marvel studios hasn't messed up yet

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never heard of him or anything he's done. As I type this message I'm watching the Marvel Knights Inhuman animated movie(motion comic) it's interesting. Imo The Inhumans has to be a very dark movie. I hope they make Black Bolt's costume faithful to the comics.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Explain to me, like a rational person, with no second thoughts, why the Captain Marvel director has to be a woman, and why Black Panther's writer has to be black?...

Again, like a rational person.
I don't feel the need to say "btw, i'm not a racist", i think this would insult everybody's intellect.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

So a guy with one writing credit to his name, for a movie that I have never heard of that has a 33% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Wow, I can see Marvel is taking this film really seriously...

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the people in marvel currently were nobodies before mCU.

Chris Hemsworth

This guy

Star lord actor(Still a nobody to me as can't remember his name *Winking smiley face*)

etc.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#10  Edited By RavenVice01

@asjmooney: I wrote a list consisting of a cast for the Inhumans movie

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Explain to me, like a rational person, with no second thoughts, why the Captain Marvel director has to be a woman, and why Black Panther's writer has to be black?...

I don't feel the need to say "btw, i'm not a racist", i think this would insult everybody's intellect.

Dude.......I was going to ask the same exact thing. I just don't get it at all. This is a bit similar to what's happening in new comic series.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mysoulz: maybe, he understands the character and history of Wakanda.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He hasn't written that much at all so he must of had one hell of a pitch/screenplay if he's being considered.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really hope Black Panther isn't a typical Marvel comedy.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ostyo: me too. its getting too repetitive in most Marvel films.

scbetton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: yeah the same thing happens in comics. I just understand that some characters that written by someone who is the same race and/or gender can produce a better quality story. Usually writers provides a voice when they write a character or bring something new when they write a character like christopher priest on black panther or g willow wilson on ms marvel. Male writers have a problem capturing a female voice when the main character is a female.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mysoulz

@cloakx14 said:

That's true.

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully he takes some cues from Priest's run when writing the script. And please don't have T'Challa saying one-liners.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Ostyo
King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ostyo: I won't be surprised if he says that in Civil War or his movie.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenvice01: feel free to share :)

I can't wait to see how medusa, Gorgon and Lockjaw look. Also Karnak will be amazing.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14 said:

The character, yes, the history on Wakanda, i don't think it requires for you to be black to understand the history of a nation.

@scbetton said:

@punyparker: yeah the same thing happens in comics. I just understand that some characters that written by someone who is the same race and/or gender can produce a better quality story. Usually writers provides a voice when they write a character or bring something new when they write a character like christopher priest on black panther or g willow wilson on ms marvel. Male writers have a problem capturing a female voice when the main character is a female.

That's reasonable, but i can't imagine that they're not doing it, at the very least for the "diversity" thingy that's been walking around Marvel offices....

scbetton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: I think it's also cause of that too. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing but I don't think that should be the only focus. They should also give it to someone who will take the character forward in a good direction. I have books that I like that the writer doesn't any relation to the characters at all. But they had an interesting story so I gave it a shot and liked it. As long as it's good is all matters to me

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scbetton: I'd like it to happen naturally.

Diversity shouldn't be a thing.....if a writer's good, then he'll write a movie, no matter if he's white as the clouds, or black as Kobe Bryant.This should not be a factor.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheThe

@punyparker said:

Do you ask the same question for every movie starring a straight white male as the leading character ? Like : Why the directors of Iron Man, Thor, Green Lantern, Man of steel, Batman and SO MANY MORE MOVIES SINCE THE HISTORY OF TV AND MOVIES has to be straight white males ?

Or do you only ask yourself this question when the gender or race of the director and the character match, but are not straight white male ?

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thethe: And that's why i did not even want to go into this thread.....because someone would start something like this, and make me the bad, racist, nazi, anti-whatever guy.

Of course.
America is super sensitive.
I forgot this.
My bad.

And yes, i ask this only aboutthe writers.
Because the characters must be portrayed as they are in the source material.
You can now tear me to shreads for my "extreme" and racist opinion.

Feel free.

scbetton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: You're right it shouldn't be a thing, but society makes it that way. Everybody deserves a chance for anything. But because there's so much outcry and attention towards race that it's become the main focus now. But personally I'm ok with that to an extent. I like that race isn't a negative factor but I don't want it to be the reason why they get the job

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's actually a rational (and not at all racist) question. I too fail to understand why the writer of a Captain Marvel movie (and also the director) needs to be a woman. There seems to be this notion that someone who shares the character's ethnicity/sex has a better understanding of what they would be like. At the end of the day, black, white, male, female, they just need to be written as people.

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thethe: And that's why i did not even want to go into this thread.....because someone would start something like this, and make me the bad, racist, nazi, anti-whatever guy.

Of course.

I forgot this.

My bad.

Feel free.

Where did i suggest one of those things ? Stop assuming things. Lol. You did not answer my question, by the way. Also, in your first post, you asked people "Explain to me, like a rational person, with no second thoughts, why the Captain Marvel director has to be a woman, and why Black Panther's writer has to be black?..."

1) Who told you it HAS TO BE ? How did you come to such conclusions ?

Catwoman was a movie about a female character, but wasn't it directed by a the straight white male director Pitof ? X-men the days of future past was a movie about a bunch of straight superheroes. Wasn't it directed by the gay director Bryan Singer ?

So, my question still stands. How did you came to such a conclusion like "it has to be" (you're implying a purpose, so give some proofs).

2) And even though, do you bother asking those questions for all the straight white male superheroes i've listed earlier, and the straight white males directors counterparts ?

I never suggested you were whatever you think i suppose you are. I'm just curious to know where and how works your arguments.

Hyena_Lobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course.

I forgot this.

My bad.

Feel free.

In this situation Joe R Cole is a writer who has worked with Marvel for a while, been put in "think-tank" writer groups for other MCU movies and already works for Marvel. So a lot of people saying he is unknown, when his resume makes him an ideal person to be part of the "possibles" list of writers, any topic of his race feels completely out right field, if it is the actual talent that is in question.

So though you didn't intend to make it about race, the context sets an idea similar to affirmative action scrutiny. Is this person of color/gender only getting this job to fulfill social obligations, when a white male writer would be better qualified?

Again here, Nicole Pearlman and Joe R Cole, both work with Marvel's writing program. Both have relationships with the company, understand the industry/limitations, worked as writers for some time. Pearlman originally scripted Guardians and worked with Gunn who ended up directing it. Cole is being considered for Black Panther AND Inhumans. So their race/gender shouldn't be a big deal.

But just as there is the argument of there needs to be more diversity, there is always an argument of diversity crippling the creative progress in Hollywood. As a comicbook fan, I agree all I want is good material. But you have to understand how it looks, when asking for rational understanding, means irrationally focusing only on race and gender.

Hyena_Lobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So a guy with one writing credit to his name, for a movie that I have never heard of that has a 33% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Wow, I can see Marvel is taking this film really seriously...

Actually he is from Marvel's own writing program for a while, a writing group that has been working on all the MCU. Rather they get credit or not. Like a lot of writers, you don't get your name billed, but you do get a check, but it seems he is good enough to be considered for scripting 2 significant MCU movies, so I'm willing to give him a chance.

Comicvine just seems to do a poor job on reporting on Comic related news. I'm sure people's scrutiny wouldn't be so harsh if they included more information, that we want to know. But Comicvine has been feeling more like the Reddit of comic sources lately.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's actually a rational (and not at all racist) question. I too fail to understand why the writer of a Captain Marvel movie (and also the director) needs to be a woman. There seems to be this notion that someone who shares the character's ethnicity/sex has a better understanding of what they would be like. At the end of the day, black, white, male, female, they just need to be written as people.

Look at some of the responses to me, and you'll understand why i tried emphasising on "rational" .....

@thethe said:

Captain Marvel, and Black Panther.
Marvel properties.
We're talking Marvel.

You mentioned a DC film and a FOX film.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stellar421 said:

Look at some of the responses to me, and you'll understand why i tried emphasising on "rational" .....

@thethe said:

Captain Marvel, and Black Panther.

Marvel properties.

We're talking Marvel.

You mentioned a DC film and a FOX film.

Ah. That's unfortunate. Rest assured it's a valid question. In their efforts to be PC, studios have gone overboard.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stellar421: How can you say such a thing?!!....you must be a nazi.There's no other explanation. ;)

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stellar421: How can you say such a thing?!!....you must be a nazi.There's no other explanation. ;)

I apologize for not being clear. I meant your question was valid, not the response you got.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:

I apologize for not being clear. I meant your question was valid, not the response you got.

It was a joke.

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stellar421 said:
@punyparker said:

It was a joke.

Gotcha vee Nazis need clarification, ya? ;)

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:
@stellar421 said:
@punyparker said:

It was a joke.

Gotcha vee Nazis need clarification, ya? ;)

Exactly.

jason55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: lol like we don't have enough white writers and plus we could do with a black person perspective and idea also if history and culture is involed why not

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

bp is the best

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By modsbehating

@punyparker: new age marvel , i didnt read the back comments but you prolly got called a racist, maybe even a nazi , i understand your question. why instead of talented writers/ directors , do they get these scrubs of the street with no real directing/ writing in the super hero genre? and is it cause he is black? yup

(its weird that the internet cares more about fictional characters then real issues) but the fact remains the back lash they would of gotten from hiring a Chinese / Korean / Japanese / white/ native american director would of been ridiculous

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PunyParker

@modsbehating: The amount of sensitivity about this matter is out of hand.

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Panther has been moved up to February 16 :)

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there any news on who is directing Black Panther?

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daingermouz20: No. There were talks that F. Gary Gray might do it, but he confirmed that he's doing Furious 8 instead.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Because if the director is white a lot of person like Spike Lee wil complain about that LOL.