• 62 results
StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By StrangeMan

I was really looking foward to see Captain Marvel in the DCnU, especially since all that we see is "extreme take-this-shit-seriously" on almost every book, i really wanted to see just a light-hearted fun title, and being that what the JLI went with wasn't that, the only hope that i had for something like that was Billy, and then i see this...

Yeah i didn't really like it, but hey, i'm not a guy that bases his opinions on first impressions, i didn't really liked Damian Wayne or Jason Todd as Red Hood either, but they developted into more likeable characters, and i hope that something similar with Billy will happen, i really do, it's ok if he still has a little bit of that teenage bitching and moaning in him, it's fine, but i want to see the optimistic CM again, i've had my share of dislikes with the New 52 but overall a thing that i really liked about the whole thing was that while i was reading a character, let's say Superman for example, i knew that this was a tad different Superman from the one i knew, but i was still reading Superman, even though he's still different from the Superman i'm used too, i still felt like i was reading Superman, but that doesn't happen with Billy. Sure this version is more "realistic", a teenager in that situation is probably gonna act like that, an extremely positive kid is something that you rarely come across, more so nowadays, but that was the charm to the whole thing, sure it's more realistic if Charlie from "Charlie & The Chocolate Factory" was a douchy little brat, but being so positive and optimistic was what brought charm to the character, and if you change that it doesn't feel the same (And yes, it is an important factor in a reboot, a pre-established character can feel new and different in a reboot, in fact, it should, but at the same time it should respect the character that it once was and again, make you feel like if you're still reading the same character, even though he's different).

Overall i'm gonna give this new Billy the benefit of the doubt, i'm gonna wait and see if the character develops into a more likeable, more in common with his pre-flashpoint counterpart, and it doesn't have to be the same character, this new rendition of him can bring more complexity to him, but i still want him to make me say: "This is Billy Batson".

Bushwhacker_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Bushwhacker_

Ah don't too much care about 'Shazam' at the moment either, but he hasn't had too much time to develop yet.. Let's wait an' see.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@gotwillpower said:

I don't really mind it. It leaves room for character progression. Besides, the only criticism I have ever heard anyone give Captain Marvel is that he's too "goody-goody," so now they don't have anything to complain about.

this

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By ComicStooge

Wait, does the fact that his actual name is now Shazam, mean you can't say his own name?

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Prior to reading the back ups of Shazam, I only knew of the character from the old JLU days, the episode where he and supes were toppling buildings lol. Anyways, after reading them back ups, i love the character, sure it's pretty darn corny dialogue, but he's a damn orphan with issues, corny contrasting his moodiness is fine... makes it feel more real, especially the issue where he beat those bullies up toooo....aooohhhhwwhhh godd that was satisfying =/

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By TeamUnitedNerds

Alright, I changed my mind. I don't like him thaaaat much anymore.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

I would prefer it if they made him somewhere inbetween what was before and what is now.

Agreed.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

I would prefer it if they made him somewhere inbetween what was before and what is now.

Agreed.

i think they are working on that...there was a scene where it showed him TRYING to be good, sooner or later he will be good without the over the top mickey mouse 100% smiles 24/7

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#59  Edited By Teerack

I like that Billy acts like an actual 16 year old now appose to Santa Claus from a movie in the 50's.

thebustman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wasnt the whole reason billy got his powers in the first place because he was pure he didnt succumb to the humans seven deadly sins?

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

This, I do like the abandonment issues and how Tawny is his only real friend, his shock at his new step father stepping in for him was also effective. But at the same time in certain parts of the book Billy did come of as too brat-ish. Maybe if a better mix between old and new happened should he ever get that much desired solo book, I would probably look into it.

The handling of Black Adam and Shivana was great though and Mr. Mind at the end was a great final wink to the audience. All I ask is Billy be a bit more like Billy.