#1 Edited by Misterwizz (204 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/01/30/captain-marvel-officially-becomes-shazam-in-dc-comics/

Man I expected this to happen sooner or later. But now he won't have anything to do with Captain Marvel. Damn.

What does that make Shazam the wizard? Mince-meat?

#2 Posted by Izaiah (5236 posts) - - Show Bio

It already happened to Freddy Freeman in Trials of Shazam, so surely this isn't too unexpected.

#3 Posted by cattlebattle (13166 posts) - - Show Bio

lame 
lame 
lame 
lame 
lame 
lame 
lame 
lame 
lame

#4 Edited by Misterwizz (204 posts) - - Show Bio

@Izaiah:

Yeah but they never officially announced the Captain Marvel title as a whole being Shazam, until now.

#5 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13600 posts) - - Show Bio

Long time coming

#6 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

predicted this months ago and I love it.

#7 Posted by Vance Astro (91356 posts) - - Show Bio

KILL DC.

#8 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff's interview here and at newsarama had confirmed that. I honestly don't have an issue with it, just curious as to how they'll call the wizard from now on, too.

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34295 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:

Geoff's interview here and at newsarama had confirmed that. I honestly don't have an issue with it, just curious as to how they'll call the wizard from now on, too.

#10 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't make him any less/more appealing.

#11 Posted by Afro_Warrior (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't really change a whole lot in my opinion. I assume the Wizard will just be called The Wizard from now.

#12 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

A shame but it does make sense that since he says Shazam to atain his adult superpowered form that there's nothing wrong with that being his new name. If Johns butchers Billy's character though I shall not be best pleased.

#13 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Ive always called him that so make sense to me.

#14 Posted by Deranged Midget (17826 posts) - - Show Bio

Not judging until I read the series.

#15 Posted by inferiorego (27697 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I won't have to explain which Captain Marvel I'm talking about.

@Deranged Midget said:

Not judging until I read the series.

Most logical and smartest post of the day goes to this. ^^^

Staff
#16 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12233 posts) - - Show Bio

It's simple: Drop CM, add the SHAZAM, change Shazams name to The Wizard, and mix it all together and what do you get? The magic word is now THE WIZARD! which means he needs a whole new list of Gods to give him powers :P

#17 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

This leaves opening to rename the marvel family. There will be allot of editing in Comicvine.

#18 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

Now I won't have to explain which Captain Marvel I'm talking about.

Still will. People aren't going to stop calling him Captain Marvel in the forseeable future.

#19 Posted by Billy Batson (58265 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a bid deal.
BB

#20 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the name "Captain Marvel."

He'll always be Captain Marvel to me.

#21 Posted by ARMIV2 (8801 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

I like the name "Captain Marvel."

He'll always be Captain Marvel to me.

Same here.

#22 Posted by CrazyScarecrow (1584 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Edited by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by Deadcool (6818 posts) - - Show Bio

That... is pointless, isn't it?

#25 Edited by Black_Claw (3042 posts) - - Show Bio

Well at least we won't have to worry about legal disputes with Marvel right?

#26 Posted by joshmightbe (25009 posts) - - Show Bio

DC can kiss my ass I'll call Billy Captain Marvel til I die.

#27 Posted by BigMaraSpence (74 posts) - - Show Bio

Just so long as there isn't any "Black Adam tricks Shazam into speaking his name and then beats him down while he is Billy Batson" bull, I'm not too concerned.

#28 Posted by JediXMan (31222 posts) - - Show Bio

This is stupid.

#29 Posted by JediXMan (31222 posts) - - Show Bio

Well at least we won't have to worry about legal disputes with Marvel right?

I don't think there were any to begin with. And even if they were, Captain Marvel has been referred to as such since 1940, back when Marvel Comics was still called Timely.

#30 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2258 posts) - - Show Bio

Similar to how DC changed Captain Marvel's name to Shazam, the New 52 would've been the perfect opportunity to change Black Lightning's name to something less racist instead of giving him black lightning bolts.

#31 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait, so what's the wizard's name gonna be now?

#32 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

Just the Wizard. That's what he was called by Pandora in the back up to Justice League #0 - Shazam!; Questions He was also a part of a group called the Council of Wizards who sentenced the Trinity of Sin made up of Pandora, The Phantom Stranger (who is implied to be Judas) and the Question. It was a very good origin issue actually. One of my favourite single issues of the New 52. The more brattish Billy seems to be polarising in contrast to the pure hearted pre Flashpoint Batson but I like the character evoltution Johns is putting Billy through.

#33 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18306 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this a bad thing? I'm completely clueless here :/

#34 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34295 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2258 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@veshark said:

Just the Wizard. That's what he was called by Pandora in the back up to Justice League #0 - Shazam!; Questions He was also a part of a group called the Council of Wizards who sentenced the Trinity of Sin made up of Pandora, The Phantom Stranger (who is implied to be Judas) and the Question. It was a very good origin issue actually. One of my favourite single issues of the New 52. The more brattish Billy seems to be polarising in contrast to the pure hearted pre Flashpoint Batson but I like the character evoltution Johns is putting Billy through.

Then what happens to the the golden age villain the Wizard?

#36 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@veshark said:

Then what happens to the the golden age villain the Wizard?

I literally have no idea. Cast into the depths with Wally West and Donna Troy I suppose :P