Big Hero 6 movie on the way...

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

Ever since Disney's purchase of Marvel in 2009, fans have dreamed about seeing their favorite comic book characters brought to the big screen in animated form. Now, rumors are pointing to a surprise Marvel property that could be arriving in theaters as early as 2014.

A report today from Oh, It's on the Grid has been backed by Blue Sky Disney (with thanks to reader T. Miller for bringing it to our attention) that says that Walt Disney Animation has plans to develop Big Hero 6 as an animated feature film with Don Hall (Winnie the Pooh) directing.

The superhero team (which very recently made in appearance in Dan Slott's "Ends of the Earth" storyline in "The Amazing Spider-Man") is a Japan-based group created in 1998 that originally included Silver Samurai, Sunfire, GoGo Tomago, Honey Lemon, Hiro Takachiho and Baymax.

It is uncertain which, if any, of the original characters would make it to the big screen, especially as Silver Samurai and Sunfire originated in the "X-Men" comics and the film rights fall with 20th Century Fox. Samurai, especially, is rumored to make a live-action appearance in 2013's The Wolverine

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

Huh. Of all the possible characters to... You know what? I don't care. Go for it, Disney.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cattlebattle

It's so random....

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

if this is true IT. IS. AWESOME. 

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gambit1024

If Silver Samurai and Sunfire can't be used (I doubt Fox would let Disney use them), then what's the point?

ExtraLarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ExtraLarge

Really? Wouldn't it make sense to do a movie about a group that actually sold comics? Are they even popular in Japan?

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Baddamdog

Must of been a really good movie pitch...

This could either be forgettable or extremely awesome. I think it'll be good, those guys at Disney how to make good cartoons.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Gambit1024 said:

If Silver Samurai and Sunfire can't be used (I doubt Fox would let Disney use them), then what's the point?

I like there current line-up better

Versasovantare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Versasovantare

@Gambit1024 said:

To be honest, I don't see the problem with them not using the first two characters to be dropped from the roster. After all, it's not like Sunfire or Silver Samurai are major draws of the franchise.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gambit1024

@Versasovantare said:

@Gambit1024 said:

To be honest, I don't see the problem with them not using the first two characters to be dropped from the roster. After all, it's not like Sunfire or Silver Samurai are major draws of the franchise.

They're not? Admittedly, I have no idea what this team's all about, but those are the only two characters that I know, and would draw me in.

Versasovantare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Versasovantare

@Gambit1024 said:

@Versasovantare said:

@Gambit1024 said:

They're not? Admittedly, I have no idea what this team's all about, but those are the only two characters that I know, and would draw me in.

They'll be going for a much larger general audience rather than for people who know or care who Silver Samurai or Sunfire are, as those two characters' fanbases must be pretty tiny.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gambit1024

@Versasovantare said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Versasovantare said:

@Gambit1024 said:

They'll be going for a much larger general audience rather than for people who know or care who Silver Samurai or Sunfire are, as those two characters' fanbases must be pretty tiny.

True, but their fanbases are probably a heck of a lot bigger than the team's in general, as small as they may be... But then again, a lot of today's comic readers probably don't know who any of those characters are (SS and Sunfire included), so... yeah. Obscure team is obscure.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By KainScion

that comic sucked. movie will probably suck too.

Versasovantare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Versasovantare

@Gambit1024 said:

@Versasovantare said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@Versasovantare said:

@Gambit1024 said:

True, but their fanbases are probably a heck of a lot bigger than the team's in general, as small as they may be... But then again, a lot of today's comic readers probably don't know who any of those characters are (SS and Sunfire included), so... yeah. Obscure team is obscure.

Yeah, Sunfire and SS probably have more fans than the rest of the team, but I doubt Disney's aim here is really to court a tiny niche of comics fans(especially given that we comic fans are a pretty small niche ourselves).

It's not really a project designed to tap into the characters fanbase, I'm sure the guys who pitched and decided to go through with this thing thought that there was something about the concept that could appeal to people who'd never heard of Big Hero 6 before.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By papad1992

@cattlebattle: I just found out about this via Wikipedia (I was browsing)... can anyone say random much!?

Shadowsnake89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@papad1992: I'll still see it though. It could be fun depending on how they handle it and the team roster.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: I'll still see it though. It could be fun depending on how they handle it and the team roster.

It could be fun... but how they chose to make a movie about this team, I will never understand!! Very random... I'd like to see the Runaways movie that they "mentioned" like forever ago!

Shadowsnake89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By Shadowsnake89

@papad1992: Well this will technically be the first Disney movie to take place in Japan. Though I doubt Silver Samurai will be in it seeing as how he'll be in the new Wolverine movie. They'll probably go with the current roster of unknowns. And I haven't really heard anything new about the Runaways movie. They've said more about the new Mockingbird show than them recently.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992: Well this will technically be the first Disney movie to take place in Japan. Though I doubt Silver Samurai will be in it seeing as how he'll be in the new Wolverine movie. They'll probably go with the current roster of unknowns. And I haven't really heard anything new about the Runaways movie. They've said more about the new Mockingbird show than them recently.

Well that's both comforting and troubling... why announce a Runaways movie if it's only going to get shelved, and why make a Japanese movie with a bunch of unknown superheroes!? Marvel/Disney confuses me!!