Throwing knifes vs Sword

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By moywar700

Who would win in a fight between a sword wielder or a knife throwing user.

The battle starts from 6ft apart

The knife user only has 2 throwing knifes.

Ready Set Fight.

Mad8Baller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mad8Baller

How long is this sword?
Cause a xiphos isn't going to blocking any knives.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By moywar700

@Mad8Baller said:

How long is this sword? Cause a xiphos isn't going to blocking any knives.

The second sword is what the sword user is using.

FourthDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By FourthDeity

Can't scale this for many reasons.

-Skill level is unknown

-Does the throwing knife user have to pull it or is he ready

-How long is the blade

-Can either contender retreat to think of a plan

-How illusive are the fighters.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By moywar700

They have their weapons ready before the match starts.There's no need to draw their weapons out already.

The arena is in middle of nowhere which is 50 ft long and wide.It also has an invisible wall.

The fighters are extremely skilled and illusive.

Avatar image for 7am_waking_up_in_the_morning
7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SPIRAL!!!

PROOF!!

Mad8Baller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mad8Baller

Multiple endings -
1.  If this is some Chinese Karate movie such as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or House of Flying Daggers and both warriors are at their highest level.  Technically it would be a stomp for the swordsman who would just block every dagger thrown.  Course the other knife wielding warrior would know this and instead use the knives as assassination type weapons by holding them backwards/reversed and using them like how you see people use knives in a knife fight.  In that case it would be who gets tired or makes a mistake first.  Swordsman would have advantage of reach.  Knife fighter would have advantage of having 2 blades.
2.  There is the OMG Rounin Kenshin Samurai 1 hit ko light speed slasher style and the knife fighter would instantly lose.
3.  There is the Ninja approach and the Knife fighter wins because he throws his knife and never misses and he has two so he could do some weird teleporting stuff and jump around and just throw when he sees an opening.

Edit: Other approach - Draw  - both throw their weapons the instant the wall goes down and both die.

FourthDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FourthDeity

@moywar700:How long are the knives? If its a one shot kill for sure I'll give it to the knife user although once he misses twice its game over.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By moywar700

@FourthDeity said:

@moywar700:How long are the knives? If its a one shot kill for sure I'll give it to the knife user although once he misses twice its game over.

JediWaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JediWaffles

Sword wielder probably wins. Throwing knives is honestly the least practical way to use a knife. The best knife is the one in your hand. This is coming from someone who's been throwing knives for a long time now.

The only time i'd throw a knife over wielding one is to use as a distraction so i could get up close and finish the deal off. Knife throws rarely kill. First off, they're easy to dodge. Second, they're not likely to hit a vital spot that would kill you outright. The best you can hope for is to hamper your enemey's movements so as to weaken him in h2h.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By ShootingNova

@JediWaffles said:

Sword wielder probably wins. Throwing knives is honestly the least practical way to use a knife. The best knife is the one in your hand. This is coming from someone who's been throwing knives for a long time now.

The only time i'd throw a knife over wielding one is to use as a distraction so i could get up close and finish the deal off. Knife throws rarely kill. First off, they're easy to dodge. Second, they're not likely to hit a vital spot that would kill you outright. The best you can hope for is to hamper your enemey's movements so as to weaken him in h2h.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Erik

@moywar700 said:

They have their weapons ready before the match starts.There's no need to draw their weapons out already.

The arena is in middle of nowhere which is 50 ft long and wide.It also has an invisible wall.

The fighters are extremely skilled and illusive.

Based on this, I would say the sword wielder has the best chance. He does not lose his weapon after two attempts.

TheSuperHuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By TheSuperHuman
@FourthDeity said:

Can't scale this for many reasons.

-Skill level is unknown

-Does the throwing knife user have to pull it or is he ready

-How long is the blade

-Can either contender retreat to think of a plan

-How illusive are the fighters.

I agree. But the throwing "knives" have greater versatility.
ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShootingNova

@TheSuperHuman: But they can also be easy to predict and dodge and leave you vulnerable.

TheSuperHuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheSuperHuman
@ShootingNova said:

@TheSuperHuman: But they can also be easy to predict and dodge and leave you vulnerable.

That's very true. But throwing knives also have the unpredictability to ricochet, whereas using a sword that slams into something won't necessarily have the same reaction. Plus, you have to worry about the weight of the sword, and even then if you're dual-handed.
ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShootingNova

@TheSuperHuman: Well, typically, I don't prefer two-handed swords and prefer to wield them one-handed, two hands for support. I don't throw knives unless its compulsory. More or less, there are far more sword fighting styles than ways to throw a knife.

JediWaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JediWaffles

@TheSuperHuman said:

@ShootingNova said:

That's very true. But throwing knives also have the unpredictability to ricochet, whereas using a sword that slams into something won't necessarily have the same reaction. Plus, you have to worry about the weight of the sword, and even then if you're dual-handed.

Nope. Lemme tell you know, outside of a comic book, you will never be able to ricochet a throwing knife and still land a hit. Even if, by the grace of lady luck, you DO land a hit off a ricochet, its force will have been severely lessened due to the ricochet, leading to a weak and essentially useless throw.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShootingNova

@JediWaffles: Not always. Striking arteries or vital organs can make it more effective. Some people throw knives with certain ways in order for a more effective "rebound effect", as they call it.

TheSuperHuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheSuperHuman
@JediWaffles said:

@TheSuperHuman said:

@ShootingNova said:

Nope. Lemme tell you know, outside of a comic book, you will never be able to ricochet a throwing knife and still land a hit. Even if, by the grace of lady luck, you DO land a hit off a ricochet, its force will have been severely lessened due to the ricochet, leading to a weak and essentially useless throw.

I won't argue that, I've had that happen. I don't mess with them anymore, but I threw a dagger and ricocheted it off a flimsy cardboard cut-out, miraculously striking the groin of the image. I was aiming for the belly, actually, so it kind of humored me. Then again, I had to try a second time and it fell short. While getting back on the real topic; swords don't have that long-rage attack method that throwing knives do. Though your shots might be limited to how hard and fast you throw, it won't always hit the target. The sword is generally for close-quarters. We all know that, lol.
ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShootingNova

@TheSuperHuman said:

@JediWaffles said:

@TheSuperHuman said:

@ShootingNova said:

I won't argue that, I've had that happen. I don't mess with them anymore, but I threw a dagger and ricocheted it off a flimsy cardboard cut-out, miraculously striking the groin of the image. I was aiming for the belly, actually, so it kind of humored me. Then again, I had to try a second time and it fell short. While getting back on the real topic; swords don't have that long-rage attack method that throwing knives do. Though your shots might be limited to how hard and fast you throw, it won't always hit the target. The sword is generally for close-quarters. We all know that, lol.

I know this sounds absurd, but in desperate situations, people have been known to throw swords as well...

JediWaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JediWaffles

@TheSuperHuman: Yeah, but in an actual fight, all the sword wielder has to do is run in and slash. At 50 ft apart, that's at best, 2 throws. Which could miss, be dodged, not hit anything vital, blocked, etc etc.

@ShootingNova said:

@JediWaffles: Not always. Striking arteries or vital organs can make it more effective. Some people throw knives with certain ways in order for a more effective "rebound effect", as they call it.

Yeah, but it just reduces your chances of hitting your target even more. Also, this is a moving target that can react, as opposed to a stationary target that is typically practiced upon.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShootingNova

@JediWaffles: I have heard of curve throws where the knife flies in a curve back towards you.... have you heard of such a thing?

TheSuperHuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheSuperHuman
@ShootingNova said:

@TheSuperHuman said:

@JediWaffles said:

@TheSuperHuman said:

@ShootingNova said:

I know this sounds absurd, but in desperate situations, people have been known to throw swords as well...

Yeah, but to what level of accuracy? Something like that sounds about 1/10.
JediWaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JediWaffles

@ShootingNova: Yeah, but only if you don't hit anything. Which is obviously not what we're looking for here haha.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ShootingNova

@TheSuperHuman: It depends on the thrower, I'm just saying that that has happened before. I'm sure a true swordsman wouldn't do that...

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ShootingNova

@JediWaffles: Yup.

TheSuperHuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheSuperHuman
@ShootingNova said:

@TheSuperHuman: It depends on the thrower, I'm just saying that that has happened before. I'm sure a true swordsman wouldn't do that...

I've scene several Ninja movies where the Ninja throws the sword straight (as if caught on a wire and quickly piercing their target). It's a common move, mostly, but how effective it is in the real world is beyond me.
Mad8Baller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mad8Baller
@TheSuperHuman said:
@ShootingNova said:

I've scene several Ninja movies where the Ninja throws the sword straight (as if caught on a wire and quickly piercing their target). It's a common move, mostly, but how effective it is in the real world is beyond me.
Probably in real life, it would fall from it's weight before it actually hit a target more than like 20 ft away.
Swords aren't light things unless it's those ninja swords that are only about 1-2ft long and basically long daggers.
_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By _Black

Sword.

TheSuperHuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheSuperHuman
@Mad8Baller said:
@TheSuperHuman said:
@ShootingNova said:

Probably in real life, it would fall from it's weight before it actually hit a target more than like 20 ft away. Swords aren't light things unless it's those ninja swords that are only about 1-2ft long and basically long daggers.
My thoughts exactly.
ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ShootingNova

@TheSuperHuman said:

@Mad8Baller said:
@TheSuperHuman said:
@ShootingNova said:

Probably in real life, it would fall from it's weight before it actually hit a target more than like 20 ft away. Swords aren't light things unless it's those ninja swords that are only about 1-2ft long and basically long daggers.
My thoughts exactly.
FourthDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FourthDeity

Yeah I give it to the throwing knife user if he's very skilled for the reasons stated above.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By nefarious

Throwing Knives.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Sword. If they are extremely experienced he could easily block it. Also after a few attempts, they would be lucky for a legshot, and they could probably tank that. Basicly sword vs hand 2 hand.

Sword wins. (in this case)

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By moywar700

@JediWaffles said:

do you think throwing knifes are good in a zombie Apocalypse?

JediWaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JediWaffles

@moywar700 said:

@JediWaffles said:

do you think throwing knifes are good in a zombie Apocalypse?

Serious question? If so, then absolutely not. Why would you waste a knife? You're essentially throwing away your best shot at survival to take out a single zombie.

Avatar image for blacklightning13
Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Blacklightning13

If both people are experts the thrower should be able to throw faster then the sword wielder can block. But the thrower would need to let the sword user get into the 5-3 meter range before throwing all the daggers in rapid secession.

kajitatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kajitatsu

Sword because the knife thrower will find it more difficult to land a lethal strike and it costs them their weapons. A sword slash or stab would be a lot more fatal. The open setting gives an edge to the larger weapon even more. Also there are no characters in this fight.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Throwing a knife at a master swordsman is not really a great plan. There is only so fast a human can throw a knife, if they are lucky they might get it up to 50MPH, even as a master thrower. At a distance of more than like 20 feet the swords man will have time to block/dodge, closer and he will close the distance before the knife is thrown. It takes much more movement to throw a knife than to swing a sword.

Also they started 6 feet away, at that point screw throwing anything, just attack with the 2 knives.

Equal skill Thrown knife vs Sword, the sword is almost always going to win.

Equal skill 2 knives vs sword, 50/50 maybe even 60/40 leaning to the knife user.

P.S. That is a crappy looking sword.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By moywar700

I remember this thread.I think 2 is too little.How about 6 or 5 knives?

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Matchstick

I've gotta go with the sword. Throwing knives just are not practical in a combat situation. Considering the small starting distance the knife guy has 1 throw, if he's really quick, before the swordsman cuts him down.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By moywar700

@Matchstick said:

I've gotta go with the sword. Throwing knives just are not practical in a combat situation. Considering the small starting distance the knife guy has 1 throw, if he's really quick, before the swordsman cuts him down.

ok about how 17 ft then?

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By moywar700

and the knife thrower has more knives.Like 9 or 7.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Matchstick

@moywar700: Then I've got to give it to the knife thrower.