#1 Edited by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

Antonio Banderas Zorro

VS.

Wesley as the Dread Pirate Roberts

Round 1:

Both are in character, morals on. No prep. Each has one sword.

Round 2:

Both are bloodlusted, no morals, no prep. Each has one sword.

Round 3:

Battle of Wits. 1 hour prep for both.

All fights take place here:

Bonus Round:

Both fight Left-Handed.

Who wins and why?

#2 Edited by schillenger420 (821 posts) - - Show Bio

Now this is an interesting fight..... I'll have to go Dread Pirate Roberts all rounds as he's been shown to be essentially ambidextrous..... and he wins the battle of wits because he already beat a Sicilian... and we all know that's right up there with winning a land war in Asia. Neat fight though.

#3 Posted by MandoViking (347 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dread Pirate Robert is here for your souls.

Wesley wins the first two rounds in a good fight, and takes it quite handily in round three. Wins the bonus round as well.

#4 Posted by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#5 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8720 posts) - - Show Bio

Think Wesley takes all rounds.

He has show to be an excellent swordsman with both hands. I think he might even be able to take Zorro with his left.

As for the battle of wits... I don't remember Zorro being that witty other than his banter, So Wesley takes that round too.

Honesty, for Zorro to win this one would be...

#6 Edited by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#7 Edited by Saint_Michael (114 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think people are giving Zorro enough credit here.

Sure he would loose the battle of whits, but his sword fighting feats in his movie(s) are better than DPR.

DPR had one serious sword fight in his movie. Zorro had numerous fights in his. At one time he fights two opponents at the same time with a sword in each hand. One of these opponents was a "professional soldier" as described be the Original Zorro. This clearly shows that Zorro is ambidextrous in his fencing abilities. This is easily comparable to an opponent who has "more pursued than studied" swordplay.

Zorro had contests against 10+ opponents and emerged victorious. Again, this is more than Wesley did.

Both of them overcame "Giant" opponents in hand to hand fighting as well.

I'm not going to say Zorro is the clear victor, but at least it's a draw if not Zorro 6/10 in rounds 1, 2, and the bonus.

#8 Posted by russellmania77 (15838 posts) - - Show Bio

i love this battle btw. anyways when it comes to feats, wesley has beatin people with out even moving just by talking

#9 Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost (3599 posts) - - Show Bio

I've read some interesting comics with Zorro, however this is the movie version, and Banderas lacks a large amount of feats so I give it to Wesley, 6 out of ten.

Round 1: Wes

Round 2: Zorro

Round 3: Wesley.

#10 Posted by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

@saint_michael: Ah but Inigo said that he had actively studied for more than 10 years before spending less time on his practicing. BTW, thanks for bringing another opinion to the thread, it has been pretty one-sided so far.

#11 Edited by WillPayton (9823 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh... clicked thinking this was going to be the awesome Tyrone Power Zorro, but it's just the crappy Antonio Banderas one.

=(

#12 Posted by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: Sorry the Zorro movies I have seen were those ones. Would you recommend any others?

#13 Posted by Saint_Michael (114 posts) - - Show Bio

@greatcaesarsghost:

Zorro lacks feats?

Let's see compare. In swordplay, Wesley...

A) Beat Inigo. Inigo claims he had pursued/studied swordplay for 20 years. But we have no idea who he studied under. His master may have been a fool. After all, he was chosen by Vecini. Vecini overestimated his own intellect and Fesak's strength. He obviously over estimated Indigo's steel!

B) Stared down Humperdink in a fight. Being as Humperdink was a coward (as stated by Buttercup), this is hardly a feat of note.

C)Never killed anyone in a fight during the movie.

While Zorro:

A) Simultaneously held off a career trained soldier and an opponent who had sparred with the original Zorro, fighting both at the same time and dueling each one with a separate sword in each hand. He then proceeds to continue the fight with these two while adding in about a dozen soldiers with guns who are firing at him. He bests these odds, escapes and then proceeds to:

B) Fight Elena in the stables. The truly noteworthy thing here is he proceeds to disrobe his beautiful adversary with his blade while not harming an inch of her wonderful skin. Marvelous feat!

C) Fought a barracks worth of soldiers while starting the fight unarmed and stealing his steed

D) Sparred with the original Zorro and got to where he was good enough to, not just win, but to take his sword from him easily!

E) He ultimately avenges his brother's death by:

1) Carving an "M" on his killer's neck during the duel

2) Running the bastard through

3) Setting him into position to drop a million dollars worth of gold bricks on him

I'm sorry people may want to think Wesley is cooler. But if you look at feats alone Zorro simply did more in his movies than did the Dread Pirate Roberts.

#14 Posted by WillPayton (9823 posts) - - Show Bio

@mortium said:

@willpayton: Sorry the Zorro movies I have seen were those ones. Would you recommend any others?

No prob. The 1940 Mark of Zorro with Tyrone Power is a classic. It also has, IMHO, the best sword fighting scene I've ever seen in a movie. Both Tyrone Power and Basil Rathbone were expert fencers of the time, and it shows in the scene. It not only plays out as an amazing sword fight, but it's not dumbed down or slowed down like most in movies. From a fencers point of view, the fight is pretty realistic and impressive.

#15 Posted by Pokergeist (22351 posts) - - Show Bio

@saint_michael:

I think the facts Wesley for years was the most notorious pirate in history as well trained for near a decade under that said pirate who had the title before him is a good indication his swordplay skill. Inigo was a great swordsman in the movie and Wesley beat him handily.

Another great showing of skill is NOT killing your opponent. Wesley skill is great enough to win with a handicap against foes he felt were not worthy of death.

Zorro looks good cause he uses less skill and kills his threats or maim them.

Wesley is by far and large the smarter fighter. Thats not even questionable. Zorro in the first movie was guided by the hand by the original Zorro.

Wesley amassed infamy and cred on his own.

Anyway I think Swordplay can go either way as far as skill, however Wesley tactics and skill in holding back on skillful opponents puts him up there IMO.

#16 Posted by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: Wow. That was impressive. I am going to have to look for that on Netflix now.

#17 Posted by Saint_Michael (114 posts) - - Show Bio

Wesley is by far and large the smarter fighter. Thats not even questionable. Zorro in the first movie was guided by the hand by the original Zorro.

Wesley amassed infamy and cred on his own.

Anyway I think Swordplay can go either way as far as skill, however Wesley tactics and skill in holding back on skillful opponents puts him up there IMO.

Wesley had one swordfight in his movie against one opponent. Zorro had multiple fights. Some against one opponent. Some against multiple opponents. Some against multiple opponents WITH GUNS. It is highly questionable that Wesley is the smarter fighter. The fact is Zorro displayed more tactics and had to handle a greater number of different fight scenarios than Wesley did. If you have watched both movies, there is no debating this.

Wesley did not amass infamy and cred on his own. Certainly not any more than Zorro did. There were 2 DPRs before him. Being guided by the hand of DPR is less impressive than being guided by the hand of Zorro.

As for not killing being a demonstration of skill, his quick disarming of the original Zorro and his disrobing of Elena shows that Zorro is quite capable of non-lethal swordplay as well. Indeed, he clearly left more people alive after his duels than he did dead. He had Captain Love at swordpoint and at his mercy at one point in the movie. He then returned his sword to him (after he kicked the 2 soldiers out of the window) and proceeded to kick his ass.

It seems to me that the bottom line is this. Feats are what matters on these battle boards. Characters claim things all the time. Unless it is demonstrated, it does not matter. Wesley had one demonstration of his fighting capabilities. The rest is hearsay. Zorro had multiple demonstrations under multiple scenarios.

The winner is clear if you look at the facts presented in the movies.

#18 Posted by Joygirl (19954 posts) - - Show Bio

Westley clears.

#19 Posted by Saint_Michael (114 posts) - - Show Bio

@mortium: Thanks. These are two of my favorite movies. But the lack of respect for Zorro is annoying.

#20 Edited by schillenger420 (821 posts) - - Show Bio

@mortium: Thanks. These are two of my favorite movies. But the lack of respect for Zorro is annoying.

It's not that there's a lack of respect.... Personally i'm just not willing to bet against the guy who beat a Sicilian in a battle of wits........

#21 Edited by TheIrishDoctor (583 posts) - - Show Bio

I say Westley, although Zorro is not slouch. People are harping on Westley only having one showing of swordsmanship, but here's the thing, he was up against Inigo Montoya. Inigo Montoya, according to the books (of which the movie was meant to be a recreation of), was the greatest swordsman in the word, so great that they invented a new level of swordsmanship just for him, above master. Sword Wizard. Which might be a little goofy, but hey, the guy wrote it for his daughter. Either way, Westley beat him because he had more of a reason to win, his need to get Buttercup back. At least according to the book. But more drive or not, Westley was still skilled enough to fight on equal terms with the greatest swordsman in the world. That puts him just a notch above Zorro for me.

#22 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (20260 posts) - - Show Bio

Now this is interesting.

Going with zorro.

#23 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Montoya is a better match for Zorro Banderas. I'd love to hear their dialogue most of all. :D

#24 Edited by Mortium (666 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#25 Posted by CaptainMarvelThunder (1107 posts) - - Show Bio

Close Match. Wish it was the other Zorro (Diego Delavaga), if it was him in his prime I think he would win the duels.

#26 Edited by Racob7 (6123 posts) - - Show Bio

Wesley