Who is faster??

Who has better vision?

Who has more balance?

Who has better finishing?

Who is a better striker?

Who is a better playmaker?

Whose passes are more accurate?

Who has better discipline?

Who will win in a fight? R:1 No headbutts allowed R:2 Head butts are allowed .

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

Zidane will headbutt messi. LOL

phlox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By phlox

Who is a better player overall? Zidane

Who has better dribbling? Zidane

Who has better ball control? Zidane

Who has better finishing? Messi

Who is a better striker? Messi

Who is a better playmaker? Zidane

Whose passes are more accurate? Zidane

Who has better discipline? Messi

Avatar image for theamazingbatman
theamazingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theamazingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zidane will headbutt messi. LOL

LOL , but seriously , who is better?

@phlox said:

How does zidane has better dribbling and ball control?

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingbatman: Allez Zidane !

:-)

More seriously, I want to see Messi helping his national team winning titles before comparing him to Zizou.

Anyway, to answer to your quizz: I give Messi the point for better discipline and striker.

Tie for finishing because Zidane scored the two first goals in the 1998 final.

Zidane above for the rest.

theamazingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr said:

@theamazingbatman: Allez Zidane !

:-)

More seriously, I want to see Messi helping his national team winning titles before comparing him to Zizou.

Anyway, to answer to your quizz: I give Messi the point for better discipline and striker.

Tie for finishing because Zidane scored the two first goals in the 1998 final.

Zidane above for the rest.

World Cup 2018 going to Argentina :P

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@theamazingbatman: Idk man. The only thing I know about zidane is that he headbutted that Italian dude.

leito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Messi is better in almost every aspect of the game.

He is obviously a much better striker, faster, a much better dribbler, more accurate on free-kicks and he is probably just as good a passer as Zidane (Iniesta and Xavi have nothing on Messi when it comes to playmaking, pass accuracy or vision). And he does it with a consistancy never seen before (Zidane was famous for "hiding" during away games).Zidane is probably stronger physically even though Messi rarely goes down when he is challenged.

The only player of the last 30 years that can be compared with Messi is Diego Maradona, but he was not as consistant and did not score nearly as many goals as Messi.

Messi is Iniesta (who can be compared with Zidane) + 40 goals a season !

PS: I'm french.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Who is a better player overall?

Who has better dribbling?

Who has better ball control?

Whose free kicks are better?

Who is faster??

Who has better vision?

Who has more balance?

Who has better finishing?

Who is a better striker?

Who is a better playmaker?

Whose passes are more accurate?

Who has better discipline?

Who will win in a fight? R:1 No headbutts allowed R:2 Head butts are allowed .

Messi

Messi

Messi

Draw if we include Passing

Zidane

Messi

Zidane

Messi

Messi

Zidane

Zidane

Zidane

Messi

Zidane Zidane

7 a piece :)

phlox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Zidane's ability to control the ball especially in tight spots and turn it into a positive is one of his best attributes. Dribbiling wise, I think he's a little more skilled. This isn't a knock on Messi who does these things at an elite level as well. We're comparing two of the best ever here.

Here's a vid that shows Zidane's ball control:

Loading Video...

@theamazingbatman said:

Avatar image for theaterofdreams
theaterofdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From my little knowledge of soccer i would say Zidane is the better overall player and takes most of the aspects except striking and finishing. He is far more skilled than Messi and a complete master of the ball.

leito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Messi is actually more skilled than Zidane, Baggio or Iniesta, even if it's usually less flashy (no step-overs or fancy backheels). Remember he does everything at a much higher speed than these guys.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Messi

Messi

Zidane

Zidane

Messi

Zidane

Zidane

Messi

Messi

Zidane

Zidane

Messi

In a fight? Easily the French Algerian.

TheKing47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux:

Zidane faster than Messi? lol

1. Zidane

2. Messi

3. Zidane

4. Zidane

5. Messi

6. Zidane

7. Zidane

8. Messi

9. Messi

10. Zidane

11. Zidane

12. Messi

And Zidane in both fights.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theking47: Did I say that? If so, that's a mistake.

Though, I like this thread. I forgot how good Zidane was

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Messi absolutely curbstomps every category except maybe the fight

Saw Zidane play several times. He was good but he was no Messi

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thedailybagel  Moderator

@thegrayghost: zidane at his best makes calling this a curbstomp laughable. Anyone who watches and enjoys football knows that this should be decently close. Although I do agree that messi wins most category's.

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheGrayGhost

@thedailybagel: It isnt close. Messi at his best is better than Zidane at his best at everything he does and then some.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thedailybagel  Moderator

@thegrayghost: not everything, zidane is better in several areas. Messi is better overall, but acting like he blows him out of the water is ridiculous. Messi is consistently good but he's only ever been at that "no one who's ever kicked a football is remotely close to him" level for a few games in his career. Which, if going purely by those performances, Id agree with you. Sadly the other several hundred games in his career count as well, making this closer than your making it seem.

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheGrayGhost

@thedailybagel: Ok

For one thing, we cant judge if Messi has ever played better football than " anyone who's ever kicked a ball" without using some umm...subjective logic

What we can judge is , how long Messi's been leagues better than anyone else from *his* era, and when it comes to that, Im thinking at least 5 odd years

Thats better than anyone else in the history of football imo.

I guess we can cut Zizou some slack for playing in an era with a far larger number of all time greats but still

What Messi had done consistently , for so long, is pretty incredible , for any era

He is the best player of this generation by the proverbial mile

Zidane cant claim anything like the same

Finally, Zidane isn't better than Messi in any category except when it comes to using both feet and ..maybe heading.

Messi wins on every other count, in every other category.

That would actually constitute a curbstomp

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thedailybagel  Moderator

@thegrayghost: you know what I meant. Whenever he's in that mood no one can claim to be even close to him, but he isn't always like that.

He isn't *leagues* better than someone like Ronaldo. Sure, I think he's better, but by leagues? No. as for the best in his era, I agree with that as well. The problem is that him and Ronaldo are really the only people in that ballpark. It's not like peles or zidanes era where there were a ton of amazing footballers.

Pele and maradona had a similar time of being the best.

Yep, that's definitely a factor. Seeing as he was playing during the time of guys like david beckam, Ronaldinho, Thierry Henry and so on. Whereas the only guy in messi's ball park is Ronaldo at this point in time.

Fair enough, although guys like George best, maradona and pele have done the same, technically speaking.

Ronaldo is close as well. I mean, speaking purely from a stats standpoint ronaldo has scored more goals, granted he has two years on messi.

Zidane as you already mentioned had MUCH greater competition than messi does. It's not exactly fair to say what your saying. It's like claiming floyd mayweather is the most dominant boxer ever, when if you dragged him back to the golden age of guys like ali I doubt he'd be top dog since there was much more competition back then.

Control, he's better in the air, more shot power, stronger etc.

I disagree, but to each his own.

Sure, it would if that was actually the case. And even then it wouldn't constitute a curbstomp. In a fight a guy could be slightly faster, slightly stronger, slightly better skilled, but the other guy could still give him hell because the difference isn't big enough.

pateuvasiliu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pateuvasiliu

Messi all of them except the fight. Not even a contest. I don't get where people got the idea that Zidane is comparable to Messi.

Bunch of hipsters. No one compares to Messi.

Avatar image for the_caped_crusader
The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Messi, no contest.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Messi is the better player overall.

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheGrayGhost

@thedailybagel: Ok I dont want to get into the little things or get sidetracked by a ronaldo vs messi debate but....

I think he is indeed, leagues better than Ronaldo. Goals arent the end all of football, or Zidane himself wouldnt have been in the reckoning

But, even if you want to compare that one thing, Ronaldo has scored like 10 more goals than Messi .......having played a 100 more games, without even going to his attitude regarding even things like his teammate scoring ( and Messi outright offering penalties to his teammates ) and stuff like the end of the 2010-11 season, after Mourinho's Real were already out of the reckoning, the team officially admitting they were only playing to give him the golden shoe ( he scored 10 odd goals in 3 games iirc)

I would say there are plenty of players from the current generation whom I would classify as all time greats, and yet they are not in Messi's league

This is the point I'm trying to make

David Beckham for instance, on his best day , isnt in Zidane's league himself, but he was indeed a world class player, a legend even

Likewise the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Kaka , Robben etc are all true greats of the game , who if they had played in any other era, would stand a decent chance of winning the Ballon Dor themselves

But they are not in Messi's league.

Henry, Rivaldo , and the original Ronaldo definitely ,just to pick 3 there , were all in Zidane's league just fine . No one would have batted an eye if they had won the ballon dor for a specific year in there where zidane won it.

People would literally lose it ( because it doesnt make sense) if say Robben or Xavi won a ballon dor in a year Messi played well

There is a reason. And I personally dont think say Xavi , is much worse than Rivaldo , if at all

Messi is just so much better than anyone else right now

Zidane never was

See my logic?

Anyway other things

Best was never at the top for too long

Maradona same thing, though he played in arguably the toughest league of all time, at that time. The world cup tends to take away from the fact that say van Basten in the late 80s wasnt considered too far off Diego

Also, Maradona kept it up for 5 years at best , Messi has been world class for at least a decade now, and the undisputed or disputed , "best in the world " for nearly the same period

Maradona wasnt considered the best in the world for more than 5 years

Messi has greater longevity at the top and a wider gap between his rivals than diego ever had

Pele is harder to call because of the insufficient data back then, and the fact that he didnt play in europe

Even so , barring Pele no one has been among the top 2 at least footballers of their time, as long as Messi has

the analogy with Mayweather doesnt work. There were more players at that time indeed, but many of todays players would fir in just fine in that era too. It isnt so big a gap

Messi is stronger on the ball

In the air? Eh...i already said heading...but Messi isnt too bad in the air himself for a guy his size

Shot power is a really stupid criterion. Roberto carlos had more shot power than zidane, what does it matter if he misses 9/10 chances?

Anyway Messi's shot *accuracy* is far better than Zidane's or indeed his finishing

Control is debatable I guess, but I don't think Zidane had *better* control than Messi. Messi miscontrolling any kind of ball is rare. Zidane did it in more showy way

I guess

Personally the main reason I think this would be a stomp is that there is no category in which messi is ridiculously worse than Zidane, while speed, pressing back/ tackling ,finishing and dribbling are stomps for leo

Which is a scary thought when you consider than zidane was one of the best dribblers of recent memory. Messi though, is statistically the best dribbler of all time ( yes, better than even Pele)

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thedailybagel  Moderator

@thegrayghost: fair enough, I can see where your coming from, and although I disagree on certain things it's probably just best to agree to disagree.

Nice to have a calm talk for once.

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedailybagel: Heh. We should simply agree not to talk about the hulk, then we probably wouldn't run into so many problems

btw check this out ( this was a year ago mind)

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/messi-is-better-than-maradona-but-maybe-not-pele/

Stats are not everything but it seems at this point Messi is second only to Pele o_0

We are priveleged to see him play week in week out

Beavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Beavy

Whose free kicks are better? Zidane

Who is faster?? Messi

Who has better vision? Zidane

Who has more balance? Zidane

R1: Zidane

R2: Zidane

While Messi is a superb Striker he depends to much on the people around him, Zidane made every team he played on better and you can'r say the same about Messi because he only played for barca (one of the best teams around) so far and didn't amount anything in the national team.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thedailybagel  Moderator

@thegrayghost: yea, best to just steal clear of that from now on.

I remember reading somewhere that peles stats (like goals scored) arent 100% legit, because he counted friendky and charity games or something like that. But I'll check it out.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall better player is Zidane.

Anything that is associated with the midfield section is for zidane, dribbling is also for ZiZu, but striking speed, goes to messi, zidane has better vision, better passes and the best HEAD(ask Materrazi).

theamazingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phlox said:

I think Zidane's ability to control the ball especially in tight spots and turn it into a positive is one of his best attributes. Dribbiling wise, I think he's a little more skilled. This isn't a knock on Messi who does these things at an elite level as well. We're comparing two of the best ever here.

Here's a vid that shows Zidane's ball control:

Loading Video...

@theamazingbatman said:

And here's some videos showing Messi's ball control and dribbling .

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

theamazingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beavy said:

Who is faster?? Messi

While Messi is a superb Striker he depends to much on the people around him, Zidane made every team he played on better and you can'r say the same about Messi because he only played for barca (one of the best teams around) so far and didn't amount anything in the national team.

1) Every person depends on the people around him .

2) Zidane made every team better? Then why was Real getting ripped apart when makele left? And why didn't he win anything with real in his last 3 seasons? So , no , Zidane didn't make a team better .

3) Zidane only won 5 trophies in 5 seasons with Real madrid (and only 2 of them were major trophies) , and this was during the galactico era . ( Zidane failed to get a lot of trophies when he was playing with the best players in the world )

4) Messi has won way more trophies than Zidane ( even though Zidane was playing with the galacticos , who were mostly far superior to barca players ) .

5) Messi took argentina to the world cup final .

Beavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingbatman:

@beavy said:

Who is faster?? Messi

2) Zidane made every team better? Then why was Real getting ripped apart when makele left? And why didn't he win anything with real in his last 3 seasons? So , no , Zidane didn't make a team better .

3) Zidane only won 5 trophies in 5 seasons with Real madrid (and only 2 of them were major trophies) , and this was during the galactico era . ( Zidane failed to get a lot of trophies when he was playing with the best players in the world )

4) Messi has won way more trophies than Zidane ( even though Zidane was playing with the galacticos , who were mostly far superior to barca players ) .

True, but some players need more help than others.

2) Zidane made every team better? Then why was Real getting ripped apart when makele left? And why didn't he win anything with real in his last 3 seasons? So , no , Zidane didn't make a team better.

He made Bordeaux, Juve and Madrid better when he joined them and as you said every team suffers when good players leave them

Why are 5 trophies in 5 seasons bad, also Real wasn't nearly as dominant as Barca some years later (la bestia negra ring a bell)

As stated in 4 Barce was/is a way better team than the galacticos were, there really was no team that could challange them in head to head comparrison.

5) Messi took argentina to the world cup final.

No Javier Mascherano did, as Messi only scored against the lower Tier teams in the group stage and not once in the knock-out stages like every other tournament.

The national teams isn't nearly as strong as Barca, so he doesn't shine there as much as at Barca.

But as always in football it comes down to personal preferences. :)

For example i think it's a shame that Philip Lahm hasn't won the golden ball once (worlds best left and right defender and a world class holding midfielder), especially Ronaldo looked lost every time he played against him, but as i said personal preferences.

QuakeBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theamazingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beavy said:

@theamazingbatman:

@theamazingbatman said:
@beavy said:

Who is faster?? Messi

True, but some players need more help than others.

2) Zidane made every team better? Then why was Real getting ripped apart when makele left? And why didn't he win anything with real in his last 3 seasons? So , no , Zidane didn't make a team better.

He made Bordeaux, Juve and Madrid better when he joined them and as you said every team suffers when good players leave them

Why are 5 trophies in 5 seasons bad, also Real wasn't nearly as dominant as Barca some years later (la bestia negra ring a bell)

As stated in 4 Barce was/is a way better team than the galacticos were, there really was no team that could challange them in head to head comparrison.

5) Messi took argentina to the world cup final.

No Javier Mascherano did, as Messi only scored against the lower Tier teams in the group stage and not once in the knock-out stages like every other tournament.

The national teams isn't nearly as strong as Barca, so he doesn't shine there as much as at Barca.

But as always in football it comes down to personal preferences. :)

For example i think it's a shame that Philip Lahm hasn't won the golden ball once (worlds best left and right defender and a world class holding midfielder), especially Ronaldo looked lost every time he played against him, but as i said personal preferences.

How does Messi depend more on his team mates than Zidane??

Zidane never made Bordeaux better . He won no trophy with them .

He also didn't make juve better . Juve was a team good enough to win the champions league without him

And I don't think he made madrid any better either .

Zidane won only 2 major trophies with Real in 5 years . That's really bad , especially considering that he had several legends and world class players playing with him .

How was barca a better team than Madrid when it had inferior players to those of madrid?

Messi not scoring means that he is not helpful to the team?? Absolutely false . + He was a big threat to his opponents , scored goals and provided assists in the world cup . What more do you want from him?

Messi does shine at argentina as well .

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Messi in the semis today tho

Woof

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kfabz-23

Messi is the best to ever play the game.

theamazingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Messi in the semis today tho

Woof

He is in the finals now :D

@kfabz-23 said:

Messi is the best to ever play the game.

Yup , no one comes close to him . He is near perfect football player .

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who is a better player overall? Messi without question

Who has better dribbling? Messi

Who has better ball control? Messi just though tbh

Whose free kicks are better? Messi's

Who is faster?? Messi

Who has better vision? Tough but probably Zidane tbh

Who has more balance? Messi easily

Who has better finishing? Messi in terms of being clinical

Whose passes are more accurate? Zidane's maybe but pretty equal

Who will win in a fight? R:1 No headbutts allowed R:2 Head butts are allowed. Zidane stomps both rounds

AgentofChaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who has better ball control? Zidane easily

Who is faster??Messi

Who has better vision?Zidane (he's the greatest playmaker)

Who has more balance?Zidane

Who has better finishing?Messi

Who is a better striker?Messi

Who is a better playmaker?Zidane

Whose passes are more accurate?Zidane

Who has better discipline?Zidane

Who will win in a fight?Zidane

Zidane both rounds

YIFY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By YIFY

Who is a better player overall: Zidane

Who has better dribbling: Messi

Who has better ball control: Zidane

Whose free kicks are better: Zidane

Who is faster: Messi

Who has better vision: Zidane (No contest)

Who has more balance: Zidane

Who has better finishing: Messi

Who is a better striker: Messi

Who is a better playmaker: Zidane (No contest)

Whose passes are more accurate: Zidane

Who has better discipline: Zidane

Who will win a fight: Zidane

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yify: messi is far and away a better soccer player. Many of the greats through the term GOAT with messi

YIFY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus said:

@yify: messi is far and away a better football player. Many of the greats through the term GOAT with messi

Remember this is all based on opinion.....and facts.

-yify

Andrelf7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm a huge soccer fan...Romário, Zidane and Messi are the 3 geniuses i've seen...

still in that order: Romário > Zidane > Messi

I'm still waiting for Messi to be relevant to Argentina, he disappeared in the most important games of the last world cup (belgium, netherlands and germany)...when his team needed him the most

Romário basically won the 94 world cup by himself, the brazilian team was average at best except for him. If it wasn't for an injury he should have been in the 98 WC and Brazil would probably beat France. The same for 2002 and he could have 3 world cups instead of 1. The thing about him, is that he decided to come back to brazil in his prime, at 28 years old after being elected best player on the planet and winning the world cup.

The guy has more official goals than Pelé, is one of 3 players to have scored more than 1.000 goals (official + friendly games)...it's a shame more people don't talk about him.

He is the best player in the history of PSV (Netherlands), he spent 2 (actually 1 and a half) seasons with Barcelona being national champion and the lead scorer...

and i won't even bother with people saying Messi should be above Pelé....that's laughable. Pelé is greatest soccer player by a large margin, the guy won a World Cup with 17 years, has 3 world cups, more than 1.000 goals and i can keep going. And this is coming from someone who dislikes him as a person.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who is a better player overall? Messi

Who has better ball control? Messi

Whose free kicks are better? Hmm, maybe Zidane

Who is faster?? Messi

Who has more balance? Messi

Who will win in a fight? R:1 No headbutts allowed R:2 Head butts are allowed .Zidane both rounds.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm i the only one who thinks Iniesta vs Zidane makes more sense?

theamazingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry for going off topic , but am I the only one who think that Pele is way too much overrated ??