• 60 results
departed402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By departed402

A lot people say: Sidious > Bane  and  Sidious > Yoda. Where do these two fit together?

1. Yoda vs Darth Bane Pre-Orbalisk Armor

2. Yoda vs Darth Bane  with Orbalisk Amror as seen on Tython

3. Yoda vs Darth Bane Post-Orbalisk Armor

demifiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By demifiend
YODA
BANE
BANE
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

1. Possibly Yoda.
2. Bane.
3. Bane.

bag_o_x_men

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bag_o_x_men

1.  Depends on exactly how far before the orbalisks.  Any time within about a year...Bane.  More than a year, less than three Bane, but it's close.  Before that...Yoda.
2. Bane easily.
3.  Bane.  Again, easily.  He destroyed his own orbalisks, almost impossible to do.   And he survived, even more unlikely. 
For the record, I don't see Sidious as above Bane.  He was basically equal to Yoda.  Their prequel battle showed that.   He got the better of Yoda more from circumstance and luck than skill or ability.  The only reason people place Sidious higher is because he can do a Force Storm and open a wormhole.  Impressive, yes.  But having a force ability someone else doesn't have,  doesn't automatically make you a better force user.  Just because Ganner Rysode or Cilghal can use tk doesn't make them more powerful or better than Corran Horn.  Sidious has a few impressive feats, but ultimate lost to some relatively poor characters.  Vader was a shadow of his former power yet easily killed our dear old Emperor, in spite of the fact that Sidious was in a younger body than Vader himself.  And Empratoyos Brand?  C'mon.  I wouldn't even put Sidious in the top five.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Silver2467

Yoda on the first. Bane on the second and third in close fights.

@bag_o_x_men said:

For the record, I don't see Sidious as above Bane.  He was basically equal to Yoda.  Their prequel battle showed that.   He got the better of Yoda more from circumstance and luck than skill or ability.  The only reason people place Sidious higher is because he can do a Force Storm and open a wormhole.  Impressive, yes.  But having a force ability someone else doesn't have,  doesn't automatically make you a better force user.  Just because Ganner Rysode or Cilghal can use tk doesn't make them more powerful or better than Corran Horn.  Sidious has a few impressive feats, but ultimate lost to some relatively poor characters.  Vader was a shadow of his former power yet easily killed our dear old Emperor, in spite of the fact that Sidious was in a younger body than Vader himself.  And Empratoyos Brand?  C'mon.  I wouldn't even put Sidious in the top five. "

I like how none of this is even remotely true.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@bag_o_x_men:

... so much wrong, but I'll comment on the immediate thing which is relevant to Bane (that and because Silver already covered the Palpatine parts)

@bag_o_x_men said:
" 3.  Bane.  Again, easily.  He destroyed his own orbalisks, almost impossible to do.   And he survived, even more unlikely.  "
You act as if he did this all on his own. First off, he didn't destroy the orbalisks intentionally - his own lightning was redirected on him by a Jedi. The orbalisks were vulnerable against electricity. It isn't hard to remember them if you know how - it's just how to keep the guy alive when you do it. Bane almost died and would have died if not for the healer Caleb. He removed them and treated him for the toxins.
demifiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By demifiend
@Silver2467 said:
" Yoda on the first. Bane on the second and third in close fights.

@bag_o_x_men said:

For the record, I don't see Sidious as above Bane.  He was basically equal to Yoda.  Their prequel battle showed that.   He got the better of Yoda more from circumstance and luck than skill or ability.  The only reason people place Sidious higher is because he can do a Force Storm and open a wormhole.  Impressive, yes.  But having a force ability someone else doesn't have,  doesn't automatically make you a better force user.  Just because Ganner Rysode or Cilghal can use tk doesn't make them more powerful or better than Corran Horn.  Sidious has a few impressive feats, but ultimate lost to some relatively poor characters.  Vader was a shadow of his former power yet easily killed our dear old Emperor, in spite of the fact that Sidious was in a younger body than Vader himself.  And Empratoyos Brand?  C'mon.  I wouldn't even put Sidious in the top five. "

"
MMMM why people keep doing this, i dont care if sidius did a lot of things in UE, he was beat by mace and stalemate yoda. whats the point of this? if mace wouldn't be dead im sure he could do a lot of things more impressive that palpatine, but as you can see, george decide to kill him, and then decide sidius make a lot of stupid feats
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@demifiend said:
"MMMM why people keep doing this, i dont care if sidius did a lot of things in UE, he was beat by mace and stalemate yoda. whats the point of this? if mace wouldn't be dead im sure he could do a lot of things more impressive that palpatine, but as you can see, george decide to kill him, and then decide sidius make a lot of stupid feats "
It's strongly debated that Palpatine let him win. I've discussed this many times.

Also, we're going by feats. Palpatine's feats > Yoda's feats > Mace's feats, EU or otherwise. Because George likes to use WIS doesn't matter.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Silver2467
@demifiend said: 

MMMM why people keep doing this, i dont care if sidius did a lot of things in UE, 

The EU, not "UE," is all canon. Thus, it is perfectly legit.

he was beat by mace

In a duel he arguable threw. Not to mention, Sidious had not even reached the height of his power when he fought Windu.

and stalemate yoda. 

Yoda completely lost outright. This was made extremely clear in the RotS novel.

whats the point of this?

The point is it showcases his feats in an organized manner and is more convenient to provide a link to than explain all of his feats.

if mace wouldn't be dead im sure he could do a lot of things more impressive that palpatine, 

What? He was not even more powerful than him when they fought, and like I said, Palpatine was not in his prime at that point. Sidious simply decided not to use all of his Force powers against him but was still so much faster than Mace that he appeared as a blur to him. 

but as you can see, george decide to kill him, and then decide sidius make a lot of stupid feats "

Lucas never even wrote half of Sidious' feats. This is not even true.
spystreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By spystreak
@demifiend said:
"

@Silver2467 said:
"

Yoda on the first. Bane on the second and third in close fights.

@bag_o_x_men said:

For the record, I don't see Sidious as above Bane.  He was basically equal to Yoda.  Their prequel battle showed that.   He got the better of Yoda more from circumstance and luck than skill or ability.  The only reason people place Sidious higher is because he can do a Force Storm and open a wormhole.  Impressive, yes.  But having a force ability someone else doesn't have,  doesn't automatically make you a better force user.  Just because Ganner Rysode or Cilghal can use tk doesn't make them more powerful or better than Corran Horn.  Sidious has a few impressive feats, but ultimate lost to some relatively poor characters.  Vader was a shadow of his former power yet easily killed our dear old Emperor, in spite of the fact that Sidious was in a younger body than Vader himself.  And Empratoyos Brand?  C'mon.  I wouldn't even put Sidious in the top five.

"

"
MMMM why people keep doing this, i dont care if sidius did a lot of things in UE, he was beat by mace and stalemate yoda. whats the point of this? if mace wouldn't be dead im sure he could do a lot of things more impressive that palpatine, but as you can see, george decide to kill him, and then decide sidius make a lot of stupid feats

"

exactly this girl knows her stuff.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@spystreak:

Not really.
spystreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By spystreak
@JediXMan: 
well I think so
demifiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By demifiend
@Silver2467: @JediXMan:  It's strongly debated that Palpatine let him win. I've discussed this many times.
What? He was not even more powerful than him when they fought, and like I said, Palpatine was not in his prime at that point. Sidious simply decided not to use all of his Force powers against him but was still so much faster than Mace that he appeared as a blur to him. 

source please. i really would like to see prove of this, and not argument from palpatine fanboys.    mace beating sidius its CANNON,   
deal with it.
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Billy Batson

1. Yoda

2. Bane

3. Bane

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@demifiend said:
" @Silver2467: @JediXMan:  It's strongly debated that Palpatine let him win. I've discussed this many times.

source please. i really would like to see prove of this, and not argument from palpatine fanboys.    mace beating sidius its CANNON,   
deal with it.
"
1. It's debated. Fact.

2. His source is the Revenge of the Sith novel - canon.
departed402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By departed402

The films trump the novelizations though. It hardly matters with Sidious vs Mace anyway. Both the battle in the film and the novel don't make clear as to whether Sidious threw the battle or not. (Silver's Sidious Respect thread outlines the fight if you [ramdom viners] haven't read it.)

Back on topic though, I was thinking Yoda, Bane, Bane too.

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By silentbat

Woah woah woah woah. I would think Yoda would take this at a 7/10 majority for Round 1 & 3. I think Bane would take a majority 8/10 in Round 2 though. Yeah, Bane gets better and less sloppy in Round 3 but Yoda matched Sidious.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yoda stomps rounds 1 and 3. 2.... Yoda should still win, but it's unlikely to be an outright stomp.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jedixman: 3 years later, your opinion change at all? :P

fenderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Yoda in a stomp, 10/10.

2. Yoda would be hard-pressed to cut Bane down, but Bane has nothing to harm him either. 8/10 in fights both long and without much risk from Yoda.

3. Yoda 8/10. Shorter fights, but with much more impressive displays from Bane.

Bane is far, far behind Yoda in lightsaber skill. Bane is significantly below likes of Anakin or Obi-Wan, and there is no real comparison with Yoda. Yoda is extremely faster, is far superior in telekinesis, he absorbed Lightning much more powerful than that of Bane, and could keep up physically with Sidious, whose strength completely outmached Maul and Savage at the same time.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fenderek: Why would Yoda lose two rounds in the last fight? He is vastly faster and vastly more skilled, more powerful, stronger, etc. He has virtually every edge.

fenderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova Yeah, you're probably right about that. It was rather accidentaly typed, as I got used to a system where you would give 8/10 if the fights occured one shortly after another, as if killed Bane is "regenerated" and Yoda can regenerate his stamina only after failure and a "respawn". Just a system from a gaming board when it was treated like fighting the character 10 times in a row, with the guy respawning after the death, and the victor staying with his stats until death and respawn. I just forgot it has a different meaning here, lol :P

BTW, I'm quite surprised with the opinions posted here 3 years ago. I would have never thought that Bane > Yoda.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JediXMan  Moderator
JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jedixman: Don't shoot the messenger, I didn't bump this thread. xD

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yoda stomps the first and third round and wins the second in a decent battle.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yoda stomps the first and third round and wins the second in a decent battle.

this

Avatar image for imboredletsdebate
ImBoredLetsDebate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yoda is stomping all rounds. Orbalisk doesn't not cover Bane's entire body, and Bane is not nearly fast enough to react or keep up with Yoda.

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JKBart
.@shootingnova said:

@fenderek: Why would Yoda lose two rounds in the last fight? He is vastly faster and vastly more skilled, more powerful, stronger, etc. He has virtually every edge.

He quite certainly wouldn't. I do not believe there is any chance for Bane to win any of 10 duels against Yoda in versions 1 and 3. The gap between their mastery of the lightsaber is extreme (I believe it to be pretty obvious), the speed disparity is relatively huge - both in terms of movement speed and reaction speed, in somewhat of a conjunction with agility are shown when unarmed he dodges attacks from Koon, Billaba and Tiin, if someone has doubts about the reaction speed (I can't see such doubts for the rest of my points).

I can only argue that Bane is much more versatile fighter - I've seen this argument once or two times. Yoda's style, tactics, and the whole approach to any situation were simply always depicted as the same, no matter what he faced, while Bane as a whole adopted differently to the circumstances. Still, it doesn't matter much, as Yoda, while his overall approach was always the same, was quite aware of his surroundings, adopting to them, and while he may be straight-forward in his approach, I still can't find Bane able to outsmart him. It is best depicted in "Ambush" episode of TCW, to give an example. And still, it's SW - most of the people have their strict methods and style of solving any combat-related situation. Bane might have been able to outsmart Kas'im, utilize many different methods against mercenaries in DoE, outsmart Zannah in an unarmed fight against her, and many more, but thing is, it doesn't change much, when you have offense and speed good enough to be the best solution for everything, and Yoda is not the one to outsmart easily. So while I understand such a point, it doesn't convince me.

Yoda's speed I mentioned is extreme enough that characters of Obi-Wan and Anakin level are significantly below, as is easy to notice when comparing their feats - they come from the same era and have many showings related to each another. At the same time, thanks to the number of sources depicting Kenobi, one can easily put him very closely around Bane - perhaps even higher, as his extreme reaction speed and ability to defend against thousands of blaster bolts completely surpasses Bane's ability to defend against rain (came only from one direction, and was simply a smaller barrage). Sheer movement and reaction speed of Yoda is something totally above Bane.

Yoda's strength (of course only combat-wise under Force influence, lol) while it may surprise many, is still above Bane, though it's not a gap as huge as in terms of speed. Suffice to say, Yoda was able to keep up with Sidious, who could hold both Maul and Opress in a saberlock at the same time - with Maul in conjunction wirh Opress possessing feats outstripping Bane completely. Yoda did the same against Dooku in a direct bladelock, a person contending with Anakin Skywalker's strength, General Grievous's strength and capable of physically flooring Obi-Wan and Anakin many times (although, judging by the scenes in which it happened, it was more a result of a specific melee technique, with similiar move existing in aikido, when flooring Obi-Wan in TCW Season 6). I do not consider it a ABC logic, because Yoda has only few "direct" strength feats, it's just not in his style to utilize it. I'm including multiple characters that Yoda faced and their multiple opponents, who all have a wide area of feats allowing it to provide a broad approach. However, there are few things to consider. Yoda doesn't use strength itself in any battle, he relies on speed, technique, acrobatics and overwhelming his opponent with them. His technique effects in actually avoiding a direct strength confrontation because of that, as he doesn't meet his opponent head-on in a traditional meaning. His fighting style is straightforward, but the exact nature of his Ataru usage simply disallows any direct strength contests. And in the few moments when it was needed - Yoda could hold his own against mentioned decent beings that I already described.

Bane is certainly no slouch in the Force department. He has a wide range of knowledge, he can direct the Force in many different ways and is outright amazing in this ocean of hundreds of established characters. However, he has no start to Yoda. Yoda has much more precision, control and subtlety, commanding great energy very precisely in direct applications (exluding Control area, affecting speed and strength respectively). His casual defense against Dooku's assaults, Force Disarm of Asajj Ventress, holding a crane second after being mid-combat, levitating an X-Wing (which should count at least 25 tons - even a LEGO real-life model weighed around that), an ability to levitate himself - all tell that. Back to the Control area I mentioned - Yoda's size, his age, his normal reliance on a walking cane when compared to his fighting speed tell everything about a sheer amount of energy he can harness and direct - and in direct usage such as telekinesis he seems equal. Bane's best feats would be choking Qordis (featless, largely unknown) and sending Lehon temple to its fall (decent). He could heavily rely on the Dark Side for a perverted healing and many applications of Force Rage, but I already discussed their physical abilities that would be affected by it. Yoda could work on the energy of Force Lightning of Sidious and Dooku - first outmatching Bane completely, and in case of Dooku being comparable in the worst case. Bane's draining abilities are simply too weak to have any effect on Yoda, and he would need a space and time to properly channel the Force in order to Drain a powerful Jedi, seeing as it required exterior energies when fighting random cultists - and we're talking about the green guy, not even just a powerful Jedi. We also have Yoda capable of projecting Force Light, but he is featless in this regard and I find it hard to believe that he would affect Bane with it. Orbalisks, maybe.

Their sense and mind affection abilities are irrelevant, as they are both too powerful, too strong-willed to succumb to each other. Bane or Yoda would need an outstanding advantage to work on each other this way. Bane's Essence Transfer can't work on a Jedi of Yoda's level and willpower, but this time it's just an overall opinion based on their comparison in any other area.

Orbalisks wouldn't save Bane - he will indeed by outstandingly hard to hit and kill, and we can speculate that it would take Yoda a time to adapt to it and find a weak spot, but it is of no matter - Bane is too inferior to do Yoda any harm, even if orbalisks can save him from being harmed himself. And in fight against someone who can throw so many hits at Bane, he wouldn't be able to just bash through his opponent, forgeting the defense, like he did on Tython - simply because Yoda would still be able to defend himself, and have better way of hitting him even accidentaly in such a barrage of hits. Such a berserk tactic would do him no good, and there is still the Force.

Summarizing finally...

PoD Bane: Yoda 10/10 in a stomp.

RoT Bane: Yoda 9-10/10 in extremely prolonged fights.

DoE Bane: Yoda 10/10 in a decent, awesome, but one-sided duels.

Also - yes, the posts here from 2011 are quite surprising.

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yoda is stomping all rounds. Orbalisk doesn't not cover Bane's entire body, and Bane is not nearly fast enough to react or keep up with Yoda.

I'm not too sure about that. Bane exercise with Soresu would indicate he could keep up with Yoda. He defended himself against a rainstorm for ten minutes without getting wet.

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imboredletsdebate said:

I'm not too sure about that. Bane exercise with Soresu would indicate he could keep up with Yoda. He defended himself against a rainstorm for ten minutes without getting wet.

That depends on what you meen by "keeping up". If by just not being speedblitzed and capable to react while being still completely outmached, then based on what I wrote before - I can agree. The feat you brought up, however, isn't indicating an ability to defend against Yoda. It is a feat that brings him close to Kenobi's capability of defending against omnidirectional blaster fire, a character who would be totally outclassed by Yoda. Bane would certainly be able to react, it would take someone of Sidious's speed to outright stomp Bane via fighting speed.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 juiceboks  Moderator

@jkbart: Yoda is on Sidious' level of combat speed though..

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: Right, but is Bane also of that level?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

With combat speed, Sidious can move faster than just about most people can see. That includes Bane. Yoda being able to keep up with him evenly is an indication that he's also of this speed class. I believe if Yoda fully exercised his speed, he could overwhelm most beings, including Bane. Too fast to see? Not quite. But fast enough to blitz or toy with them, regardless.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkbart: Round 3 is not a decent fight. Yoda stomps again.

ImBoredLetsDebate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkbart: Round 3 is not a decent fight. Yoda stomps again.

Would any be a "decent" fight? Depending on morals, I can see R2 and possibly 3 taking longer than R1, but whether it is morals off or on, I can't see how any of them wouldn't be a stomp.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imboredletsdebate: Round 2 is a "decent" fight in the slightest sense, but the others are not.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 juiceboks  Moderator
silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: But but ... his feat with the rain storm ... never got wet ... 10 minutes.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 juiceboks  Moderator

@silentbat: For any notable force-sensitive that's not that impressive. I guess it's a good feat of endurance, but speed-wise not all that special.

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: It's a good showing for endurance and speed. Raindrops fall at 20 mph without consistency. It would take someone great speed to have their lightsaber deflected rain from one side to the next.

I don't think Bane wins overall, I think he only has a chance in Round 2, but I would not say Yoda stomps his speed. I would say Bane may have been a touch slower than Yoda but only marginally.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 juiceboks  Moderator

@silentbat: That still doesn't make it anymore impressive than Maul and Luke forming webs of light around themselves or Anakin appearing to be several places at once in Dooku's eyes..let alone what Yoda is capable of.

Bane is much more than "a touch" slower than Yoda. Yoda has straight up moved faster than Anakin could perceive, who has greater speed feats than anything Bane has produced. The difference between Bane and Yoda's combat speed is quite notable.

ImBoredLetsDebate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova: Would you mind elaborating on R2? Summary of feats or something quick.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: When has Yoda moved faster than Anakin could perceive?

Would you mind elaborating on R2? Summary of feats or something quick.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/shootingnova/blog/darth-bane-respect-thread/97390/ (Scroll down to the Orbalisk Bane section)

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/silver2467/blog/yoda-respect-thread/72865/

Yoda has eclipsing strength feats, much greater speed feats, vastly greater skill feats, and greater power feats. Bane's durability and regeneration are his only edges here. And he can deflect Bane's Lightning, which would be disastrous for the Dark Lord.

ImBoredLetsDebate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: When has Yoda moved faster than Anakin could perceive?

@imboredletsdebate said:

Would you mind elaborating on R2? Summary of feats or something quick.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/shootingnova/blog/darth-bane-respect-thread/97390/ (Scroll down to the Orbalisk Bane section)

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/silver2467/blog/yoda-respect-thread/72865/

Yoda has eclipsing strength feats, much greater speed feats, vastly greater skill feats, and greater power feats. Bane's durability and regeneration are his only edges here. And he can deflect Bane's Lightning, which would be disastrous for the Dark Lord.

I believe he means when he fought Sidious.

Thanks.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imboredletsdebate: Yoda is slower than Sidious. Yoda has slowed since the years Mace had known him. Yoda has no showings that rival Palpatine's, technically. He did reach the exit of the office before Palpatine did, but there are sources that depict that as Yoda having a pre-determined edge. Yoda never moved faster than characters such as Dooku could see, when they fought. He also sparred with Mace, but he never moved faster than Mace could see either.

ImBoredLetsDebate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imboredletsdebate: Yoda is slower than Sidious. Yoda has slowed since the years Mace had known him. Yoda has no showings that rival Palpatine's, technically. He did reach the exit of the office before Palpatine did, but there are sources that depict that as Yoda having a pre-determined edge. Yoda never moved faster than characters such as Dooku could see, when they fought. He also sparred with Mace, but he never moved faster than Mace could see either.

Source on where that is stated? He did slow, but he was still faster than any other jedi. He was never trying to kill them either. When he sparred Dooku, he was either trying to capture him and/or turn him back to the light side. When they fought in AotC, Yoda did not move faster than Dooku, yet, and I could be wrong, when they fought in Dark Rendezvous, I assume Dooku was able to fight faster, but he was still not faster than Yoda, which is evidence to my claim that he has never went 100% again Dooku. He was sparring with Mace, so he had no reason to go faster than Mace could see, otherwise the sparring would have been pointless.

Yoda was able to keep up with Sidious, in their lightsaber duel, and Anakin could not see Sidious and Mace fight. I don't see why Sidious would fight slower against Yoda, when he wanted to kill Yoda, per the novel.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imboredletsdebate:

Though it was true that he had slowed slightly in the years that Mace Windu had known him, Yoda's skill with a lightsaber was still second to none on the council.

Source: Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter

The idea of not wanting to kill somebody being equivalent to holding back is wrong. Dooku didn't want to kill Anakin in RotS - he hardly was holding back when he was desperately trying to save his life from Anakin's onslaught. Any Jedi's greatest victory occurs by winning without killing an opponent, or better yet, not even fighting them to begin with. Yoda himself believes in that philosophy (based off many sources, such as Jedi Apprentice: The Rising Force, the RotS novel and junior novel, etc.). Not wanting to kill an opponent means nothing. Mace didn't want to kill Palpatine until the latter unleashed his Lightning - does that mean Mace was holding back int he duel? Any Jedi tries to win without killing an opponent first. That has no bearing on whether they were holding back or not, or else you would be arguing Jedi are holding back in 99% of fight scenarios within the SW universe.

That said, there are sources such as the junior novel which depict Yoda as holding back tremendously against Dooku, and yet there are several other sources which depict his aggressive assault on Tyranus. It is a conflicting issue. Regardless, just because he was faster than Tyranus even after Dooku was amped on Vjun (a Dark Side nexus of unknown power, although the nature of how it became a Dark Side nexus seems to me that it wouldn't be a powerful one regardless) means nothing. Who didn't know Yoda was faster than Tyranus? Tyranus was perfectly capable of holding his own regardless.

Where did I ever say anything about Sidious holding back his speed against Yoda?

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JKBart

@imboredletsdebate said:

@shootingnova said:

Source on where that is stated? He did slow, but he was still faster than any other jedi. He was never trying to kill them either. When he sparred Dooku, he was either trying to capture him and/or turn him back to the light side. When they fought in AotC, Yoda did not move faster than Dooku, yet, and I could be wrong, when they fought in Dark Rendezvous, I assume Dooku was able to fight faster, but he was still not faster than Yoda, which is evidence to my claim that he has never went 100% again Dooku. He was sparring with Mace, so he had no reason to go faster than Mace could see, otherwise the sparring would have been pointless.

Yoda was able to keep up with Sidious, in their lightsaber duel, and Anakin could not see Sidious and Mace fight. I don't see why Sidious would fight slower against Yoda, when he wanted to kill Yoda, per the novel.

But point is, you don't have to be as fast as someone to be able to perceive his movements and react to them. Sidious's speed feats are significantly above Yoda, and while Yoda is certainly close to "god tier" in speed, he is still slower. Yoda has many speed feats, as Sidious does, and in direct comparison Yoda achieves usually much slower speed. As Nova mentioned - Dooku, someone of Anakin's class (who couldn't perceive Sidious), was capable of holding his own temporarily against Yoda, although he was obviously completely outmatched. But that's just one part, as I mentioned - both have loads of speed feats and Sidious is simply more impressive. Yoda could keep up with Sidious's speed, but many characters could do that against even faster opponents, and - Yoda lost. Yoda is a god in terms of speed, but Sidious is simply higher. As for the quote you want from @shootingnova - I'm almost certain that's this one:

Though it was true that he had slowed slightly in the years that Mace Windu had known him, Yoda's skill with a lightsaber was still second to none on the council. (Shadow Hunter)

EDIT: Damn, I write too slow. Nova already posted before me.

EDIT 2: I know, I was just writing slower than you lol.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkbart: I've already given him the quote.