Maul has a red one. 
No morals. 
Condition: Death.  
Movie versions.
Random encounter. 
Close range distance. 

Who wins? 

#2 Posted by jashro44 (23702 posts) - - Show Bio

Yoda. He stood up to the emperor himself.

#3 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

#4 Posted by _Black (2302 posts) - - Show Bio

Wins, Yoda does.

#5 Posted by 0blivion_ (623 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Black said:

Wins, Yoda does.

#6 Posted by Blob (576 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeanroygrant said:

@jashro44 said:

@_Black said:

Wins, Yoda does.

#7 Posted by AweSam (7376 posts) - - Show Bio

Maul lost to a Padawan, what makes you think he can beat the best?

#8 Posted by RemyLeBeau (414 posts) - - Show Bio

@0blivion_ said:

@_Black said:

Wins, Yoda does.

^This, plus I reckon Dooku would give Yoda a harder time than Maul.

#9 Posted by JediXMan (31227 posts) - - Show Bio

Yoda stomps.

@AweSam said:

Maul lost to a Padawan, what makes you think he can beat the best?

Through CIS, but who cares about little technicalities like that....

Also, Yoda isn't the best. Just one of the best.

Moderator Online
#10 Posted by AweSam (7376 posts) - - Show Bio

Still lost to a padawan.

#11 Posted by jashro44 (23702 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan: Who's better then yoda besides luke?
#12 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio

Does this even require any explanation? Yoda just wins. 

@AweSam said:

Still lost to a padawan.

If we want to lowball characters, Yoda once had a hard time with a single droid.  

Let's stop using poorly written instances as the standard for character abilities and instead provide a more objective assessment of their skills.
#13 Posted by Zauberin (4356 posts) - - Show Bio

Yoda. Didn't you see the commercial?

#14 Posted by Joygirl (20146 posts) - - Show Bio

Yoda stomps this... Mace Windu is supposedly tougher but Yoda is obviously way cooler, and more than enough to take out Maul. Not that Maul isn't a badass, but the Force will be with the green one

#15 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio

Mace is not tougher than Yoda in any capacity. Yoda is faster, more skilled with a lightsaber, and considerably more powerful with the Force. 

And, no, this is not my opinion. It's a fact.

#16 Posted by GREGalicious (486 posts) - - Show Bio

YODA with ease.

#17 Posted by JediXMan (31227 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silver2467 said:

Does this even require any explanation? Yoda just wins.

@AweSam said:

Still lost to a padawan.

If we want to lowball characters, Yoda once had a hard time with a single droid. Let's stop using poorly written instances as the standard for character abilities and instead provide a more objective assessment of their skills.

Plus, if we want to be technical, then it is more appropriate to say that he lost to "Obi-Wan Kenobi, badass master of the high ground!" In which case, it is hardly a poor showing. Luke and Palpatine combined can't stand up to that kind of power.

Moderator Online
#18 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan: LOL. No argument there.
#19 Posted by Butcher_Pete (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Yoda, no contest.

#20 Posted by TheBane2890 (1958 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be that guy that says Maul for this battle, just because he's so much cooler and badass, but Yoda would win

#21 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheBane2890 said:

I'll be that guy that says Maul for this battle, just because he's so much cooler and badass, but Yoda would win

#22 Posted by TheBane2890 (1958 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus: said:

I'm sorry, but I had too!

#23 Posted by kcaz (1371 posts) - - Show Bio

yoda wins easily, he stalemates with the emperor, and won the battle against count dooku easily

#24 Posted by qawsed12345 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah Yoda wins. He is THE most powerful jedi besides NJO Luke.

#25 Posted by Deranged Midget (17829 posts) - - Show Bio

Yoda with no morals? I'd hate to be Maul right about now...

#26 Posted by capfan80 (348 posts) - - Show Bio

Yoda

#27 Posted by DieHard200904 (103 posts) - - Show Bio

@AweSam: If this were an arena-style fight, that would technically have meant Maul won, again, Maul lost by distraction, and arrogance against Obi-Wan, but at technique, he was superior to Obi-Wan.

Other than that, yoda would own Maul easily.

#28 Posted by DieHard200904 (103 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: He stalemated the emperor, which was priceless when the emperor asked his clone troopers to try searching for Yoda to confirm the kill post-battle.

#29 Posted by TheBatman586 (6316 posts) - - Show Bio

Yoda.

#30 Posted by Crimsonsentry (34 posts) - - Show Bio

yoda destroys maul

#31 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio

Yoda would not beat Maul easily, anymore than he didn't beat Dooku easily. Maul may not be as skilled as Dooku, but he is very close. There is no reason to assume Yoda would somehow perform with greater efficiency here. Maul would lose, but he can provide a decent challenge.

#32 Posted by CaptainRodgers (1656 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll point out the elephant in the thread ; Yoda would Maul him .

#33 Posted by Harddrivexxii (514 posts) - - Show Bio

Surviving for 900 years - a majority of that as a Jedi - and eventually dying of old age proves how skilled Yoda is.

Movie Maul would not be a major challenge.

#34 Posted by NEEK_03 (1200 posts) - - Show Bio

ahha yoda FTW easily. he is the sickest. no contest here.

#35 Posted by JediXMan (31227 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silver2467 said:

Yoda would not beat Maul easily, anymore than he didn't beat Dooku easily. Maul may not be as skilled as Dooku, but he is very close. There is no reason to assume Yoda would somehow perform with greater efficiency here. Maul would lose, but he can provide a decent challenge.

I have my doubts, primarily because I don't think it would come down to a lightsaber confrontation. I think it would end with Force powers, not lightsabers.

Moderator Online
#36 Posted by Jedi Wolverine (176 posts) - - Show Bio

Yoda uses his experience and wisdom against Maul for an easy win - maybe not quick though.

I see Maul being his usual aggressive self which plays into Yodas hands, Yoda could lead Maul on to think that he was getting the better of him and after Yoda sizes Maul up he takes him out.

#37 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan: Why would it be decided by Force powers instead of blade work?
#38 Posted by JediXMan (31227 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silver2467 said:

Because I think Yoda will try that first before he'll engage him in a duel. I don't think Maul will be able to compete with Yoda on that level. And depending on the distance of the battle, Yoda would also have the benefit of range.

Moderator Online
#39 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan: You mean similar to when Yoda casually disarmed Ventress via TK in TCW or when he confronted Dooku in AotC? If so, good point. I have been considering this as a duel the entire time. So point conceded on that. 

So now my consensus is: If Yoda's initial move is a Force attack, he would win without much difficulty. If not, I could see a decent duel ensuing before Yoda ultimately wins. Agreeable?
#40 Posted by Jedi Wolverine (176 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

@Silver2467 said:

Because I think Yoda will try that first before he'll engage him in a duel. I don't think Maul will be able to compete with Yoda on that level. And depending on the distance of the battle, Yoda would also have the benefit of range.

If i may, OP says they start close so im not sure Yoda would have the oppotunity to use powers before Maul is on top of him.

I certainly agree that Yoda's powers far outweigh Mauls though.

#41 Edited by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

Yoda easily. His force skill could very easily give him a quick win and Darth Maul did get beat by a padawan in lightsaber combat. Granted, it was Obi-Wan, but still... Yoda would smite him.

#42 Posted by JediXMan (31227 posts) - - Show Bio

@Silver2467 said:

@JediXMan: You mean similar to when Yoda casually disarmed Ventress via TK in TCW or when he confronted Dooku in AotC? If so, good point. I have been considering this as a duel the entire time. So point conceded on that. So now my consensus is: If Yoda's initial move is a Force attack, he would win without much difficulty. If not, I could see a decent duel ensuing before Yoda ultimately wins. Agreeable?

I don't remember too much about the Asajj fight... wait, wasn't that in the first episode or something? Then yeah, more or less. But unlike the Dooku fight, I doubt Maul would even be capable of fighting him on an even level.

I suppose. But I still don't think Maul can compete in lightsaber combat, either. Yoda is faster, more agile, has more experience, etc. Maul never really impressed me. I'm not saying he's bad, but I wouldn't compare him to Yoda, Palpatine, or Dooku. I'd even argue that Obi-Wan as a knight/master is better than Maul, primarily due to his use of Soresu. Asajj might even be better than him. As far as I am concerned, Maul is a tank - he can take a lot of pain and cut straight through the enemy lines, But he can't fight more skillful opponents. I'm just looking at it from the perspective of their accomplishments. I recognize that, without the benefit of the great high ground, Maul beat Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon rather easily. But I also recognize that:

A. Obi-Wan was still a padawan.

B. Qui-Gon exactly renowned for his lightsaber combat.

C. They had little exposure to true, brutal lightsaber combat.

So I'd question Maul's skill level, personally.

I admit that I don't know all too much about Maul outside of a handgun of stories, and that I don't really care much about that time period (outside of Plagueis), so I could of course be wrong.

Moderator Online
#43 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan: Your point is well-received, but I disagree with it. Obi-Wan was a Padawan, true, as was Darsha Assant, whom Maul also defeated. However, Qui-Gon was actually was a renowned duelist in the Order, among the best, and so was Anoon Bondara. Maul beat all of them. I would place Maul a tier below Dooku and Mace and another tier below Yoda and Palpatine as well, but the disparity is not that huge, in my opinion. Yoda and Palpatine may be more skilled than Dooku or Maul but not to such a great degree that the latter would be incapable of fighting them if their physical stats were level. I do believe Yoda would win a duel but not with the ease that most people are attributing to him.
#44 Posted by izbighulk (640 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree Maul would put up a good fight after all he did fought Qui Gon and Obi Wan at the same time and he killed Qui Gon a former student of Dooku

#45 Edited by SpidermanWins (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

@izbighulk said:

I disagree Maul would put up a good fight after all he did fought Qui Gon and Obi Wan at the same time and he killed Qui Gon a former student of Dooku

true, but Yoda has shown he is capable of using his incredible force power and prowess to render combat-dependent enemies who use the force with far less prowess and normally depend on weapon based combat (like Asajj Ventress) harmless. What's to stop him from doing that here? Would he put up a fight? Yes, but not for long.

#46 Edited by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@SpidermanWins: Yoda has never disarmed another Force sensitive with the Force during a duel. If he were to accomplish that, he would have to do so before he and Maul cross blades. Once they do, it will be a fight. Again, I have no idea why everyone assumes Yoda would easily win a duel when he has never shown to easily beat characters of Maul's skill class.
#47 Posted by JediXMan (31227 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467

Fair enough.

Here is how I would arrange them in order of skill (you will notice that Anakin has been left out. I flip-flop on where he should be)

Palpatine
Yoda 
Dooku / Mace 
Obi-Wan 
Asajj
Maul
Moderator Online
#48 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@GREGalicious said:

YODA with ease.

#49 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
@Silver2467:   Fair enough.  Here is how I would arrange them in order of skill (you will notice that Anakin has been left out. I flip-flop on where he should be)  Palpatine Yoda  Dooku / Mace
I agree with this... 

Obi-Wan  AsajjMaul
...but not as much with this. Maul, Obi-Wan, and Ventress is fairly debatable, but if anything, they would be roughly equal in my opinion. 

And I agree with you about Anakin as well. He can be hard to place.
#50 Posted by JediXMan (31227 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467

I think an Obi-Wan vs Maul fight would be interesting, personally. Perhaps we should make that thread (not as our thread, though. I'd rather do something different)
Moderator Online