#1 Edited by nj06 (248 posts) - - Show Bio

Who would win in a fight between the Princess of the Amazons and the King of Atlantis?

Wonder Woman

vs.

Aquaman

The fight takes place here:

The Twist: These are the DCnU versions of each character. Meaning, only their respective feats from Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Justice League can be used.

-Wonder Woman gets her lasso and Aquaman gets his trident.

Who wins?

#2 Posted by nj06 (248 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman has the edge in strength (on land) and can fly, so that is a definite advantage for her. However, Aquaman is still quite strong and if he can bring this battle to the water then he could definitely improve his chances. Both have special weapons in the lasso and trident so it would be interesting to see which weapon is superior.

#3 Posted by Pokeysteve (8235 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman impressed me shattering two of Hal's constructs. Arthur impressed me tanking gun fire. She definitely has the strength advantage but is it enough to overcome his (so far) superior durability.

#4 Posted by nj06 (248 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve: That's a good question and I'm not 100% sure on the answer. I do think though that in one of the more recent Justice League issues, she kicked Superman in the face and managed to make him bleed. if she can make him bleed then maybe she can get past Aquaman's durability.

#5 Posted by Pokeysteve (8235 posts) - - Show Bio

@nj06: I think that was the last issue. I don't remember him bleeding but I do remember her kicking him pretty far. A very good point though.

#6 Posted by TheGraySon (457 posts) - - Show Bio

Well im not sure which of them is more durable but im pretty sure ww is stronger. however if AM could take her to the water i think it would be a pretty close match. Im not sure if breaking hals constructs in DCnU is a feat though... Whoever theyve battled has been able to do it so far and aquaman was able to damage darkseid where hals constructs broke against him. Maybe arthur can break his constructs too.

#7 Posted by Pokeysteve (8235 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGraySon said:

Well im not sure which of them is more durable but im pretty sure ww is stronger. however if AM could take her to the water i think it would be a pretty close match. Im not sure if breaking hals constructs in DCnU is a feat though... Whoever theyve battled has been able to do it so far and aquaman was able to damage darkseid where hals constructs broke against him. Maybe arthur can break his constructs too.

Aquaman was able to damage him with his Trident. Not with a punch or a kick. Wonder Woman was also able to damage him with her sword. It's possible he could break Hal's constructs. I guess we'll never know till they fight. I think she is the superior fighter though and with the strength advantage she should win wherever they fight. If we take Arthur and Diana from just their solo series than he kills her. She's pathetic so far.

#8 Posted by nj06 (248 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve: Good points. Do you think of he managed to fight her close to the beach, and thus closer to the water, that he would have a better chance at winning? If she can get her lasso around him then I think he would be done as she could just drag him away from the water. However, he may be fast/skilled enough to dodge and replenish himself with the water. Also, has he displayed any offensive psychic abilities to non-aquatic beings? Would he be able to telepathically harm Wonder Woman?

#9 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman.

#10 Posted by Pokeysteve (8235 posts) - - Show Bio

@nj06: I'm not sure how much water enhances AC's abilities. I don't remember it being shown. Her speed hasn't been shown either. There are so many variables like that that we just don't know yet. Aquaman has never been a match for Wonder Woman and I think after a few years these two will be shown to be the same way.

#11 Edited by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve: we don't know if he's more durable,she has her vulnerability against piercing weapons,that's why she didn't take the bullet like aquaman,but maybe she is still more durable against everything else,like it has always been.

#12 Posted by ChaosBlazer (3930 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman is still alot faster/ has better reaction speed, like when she blocked machine gun fire with her bracelets. She is also strong enough to hurt Aquaman, she should win here.

#13 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

Wondie in a good fight.

#14 Posted by Pokeysteve (8235 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@Pokeysteve: we don't know if he's more durable,she has her vulnerability against piercing weapons,that's why she didn't take the bullet like aquaman,but maybe she is still more durable against everything else,like it has always been.

All completely true and with some time, that's probably how it's going to turn out (hopefully). As of now though, we don't KNOW these things, you know. It's all assumption. What we've seen is that he is more durable and she is stronger and faster. Where don't even have an inkling of their potentials yet.

#15 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@ChaosBlazer: she isn't way faster than him anymore,she was before the new 52,well,actualy she was way faster just when she was written right,because many times writers allowed street level characters to humiliate her,so with wonder woman depends on the writters more than any other character,because mopst writters don't respect her power standar,there are only a few writters that have written her well,and made her what she is supposed to be,just a few wriiters did a very good ob with her,but most writters seem to use her like she's nothing.

#17 Posted by Pokeysteve (8235 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@Pokeysteve: well i don't know,wonder woman is treated poorly many,many times outside her comic,and sometimes even on her own comic,so i don't know if things will be better for her in the new 52.

if you want,check this topic that i made,it appeared 2 times the same topic in the wonder woman's forum,i don't know what did i do wrong,but here is the link.

http://www.comicvine.com/wonder-woman/29-2048/is-wonder-woman-treared-poorly/92-685843/#3

I agree with you for the most part. I prefer the way she's portrayed in the Justice League than in her solo series. Her solo series is terrible. Complete crap. It takes years and a writer that actually gets a character like Perez with Wonder Woman or Ennis with Punisher. Fingers crossed it gets better. History hasn't been kind to Aquaman either lol.

Thanks for the link. Anything WW is worth checking out.

#18 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve: only writters like perez,or ruka have been able to make a good story and make her very powerful and consistent at the same time.

the problem is that her new 52 comic has a good story,but she's treated like a b list character in her own title,if at least they give her some good action,but NO,she's like a character just above a peak human,and she's supposed to be a semi-goddess,the story is good,but they need to increase her power level,much more,because after 12 issues,it's time to see the powerhouse amazon,but even if they start to make her very powerful in her comic,it's useless if writters from other comics just use her like a punching bag when she is featured in other comic outside her title,DC needs to be consistent about her,she can't be doing god level feats in one comic,and then have problems with human peak feats in other comic,that's like a bad joke,and it's one o the reason why she isn't as successful and relevant as she could be,they have to treat her right in her comic,and in all the other comics outside her own title,it has to be balanced and consistent in all her appearences.

#19 Posted by Pokeysteve (8235 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior: It's that demi goddess crap that gets to me. Now she's just a female Hercules. Weaker than she's ever been. Even depowered Kung Fu Wonder Woman was kickin ass hahaha. They just didn't do a good job reimagining her. At all.

#20 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve: that's my point,the story is good,but they haven't dveloped her power level,and even if they start to increase her power,it's useless if they aren't consistent about her power,they have to make her conistently powerful.

#21 Posted by Pokeysteve (8235 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior: I disagree. I don't think the story is good at all haha. Comic book abilities will never be consistent. different writers will write them differently. Can you give me some examples where you have problems with their consistency? Specific fights? I can't really think of anything other than the Deathstroke incident.

#22 Posted by Erik (32096 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@Pokeysteve: that's my point,the story is good,but they haven't dveloped her power level,and even if they start to increase her power,it's useless if they aren't consistent about her power,they have to make her conistently powerful.

The story is most certainly not good. At all.

#23 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve: they make her inconsistent,in the golden age,sometimes she was taggged and even knocked out by regular humans,beaten by paper man,in the silver age sometimes she had problems fighting regular robots,and peak humans,and she had god like powers,that kind of things,inconsistencies.

some versions like perez wonder woman,or ruka wonder woman are very good,but even they made some inconsistencies,when they let peak humans hurt her,or tag her.

during the george pereze run,some normal amazons were able to tag her,and hurt her,and where is her god like speed and durability there?,in other issue she was having problems with regular monsters,in other issue a sand storm took her down,and the list goes on,in WW v3 was a time where she was beaten by clayface,that's why i think that she'll never improve,if writters can't be consistent,perez and ruka were the most consistent,but they made some inconsistences too,writters need to be consistent about her feats,not just in some stories,they must be consistent all the time,contradictions betwen feats will never help her to be taken more seriously,she is capable of so much more,she deserves to be treated right,as the powerhouse that she is,and the female icon that she is.

#24 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Erik: well i think the story is interesting,how will she deal with the gods,and protect that child,it sounds interesting,but the problem is that it doesn't have enough action,they go back and forth with b the unborn child of zeus,and that wonder woman has to fight the gods to protect him,but nothing really happens,it doesn't have action to make the story more intense and more interestingh,it's supposed to be a big deal,but it falls short because of the lack of action,and the fact that at the end,wonder woman seems to be a B list character in her own story.

i'd like to have your oppinion about a topic that i made,here is the link.

http://www.comicvine.com/wonder-woman/29-2048/is-wonder-woman-treared-poorly/92-685843/

#25 Posted by tazze019 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman will win

#26 Posted by darktiger (4407 posts) - - Show Bio

@ChaosBlazer said:

Wonder Woman is still alot faster/ has better reaction speed, like when she blocked machine gun fire with her bracelets. She is also strong enough to hurt Aquaman, she should win here.

agreed

#27 Posted by Pokeysteve (8235 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@Pokeysteve: they make her inconsistent,in the golden age,sometimes she was taggged and even knocked out by regular humans,beaten by paper man,in the silver age sometimes she had problems fighting regular robots,and peak humans,and she had god like powers,that kind of things,inconsistencies.

some versions like perez wonder woman,or ruka wonder woman are very good,but even they made some inconsistencies,when they let peak humans hurt her,or tag her.

during the george pereze run,some normal amazons were able to tag her,and hurt her,and where is her god like speed and durability there?,in other issue she was having problems with regular monsters,in other issue a sand storm took her down,and the list goes on,in WW v3 was a time where she was beaten by clayface,that's why i think that she'll never improve,if writters can't be consistent,perez and ruka were the most consistent,but they made some inconsistences too,writters need to be consistent about her feats,not just in some stories,they must be consistent all the time,contradictions betwen feats will never help her to be taken more seriously,she is capable of so much more,she deserves to be treated right,as the powerhouse that she is,and the female icon that she is.

OK now we're getting somewhere.

Golden and Silver age Wonder Woman's powers fluctuated just like every other character in DC during that time. Remember Silver Age Superman? He's not pulling solar systems with big honkin chains anymore.

Perez's run took a little while to be established since he completely rebooted and redid the character. The sandstorm disoriented her. Some of the Amazons were able to keep up with her around issue 90 because her powers didn't work on Themyscira at that time. Clayface was able to fight her because she was made of clay and he could manipulate it (stupid but true).

Every character has inconsistencies and with Wonder Woman being one of the most difficult to find a writer who gets her, is definitely no exception.

#28 Posted by Zoch81 (248 posts) - - Show Bio

If this new 52 versions of Aquaman and Wonder Woman then I say its close from I seen from reading both their solo books so far Aquaman better strength feats in his solo book then Wonder Woman in hers. There one issue of justice league where Wonder Woman broke Hal constructions and kicked Superman sent him flying which was impressive ( shame her on book doesn't have this kick ass action) same time not say Aquaman can't do that and has one best strength feats in 52 so far lift up that cruise ship so I think be a draw between Aquaman and Wonder Woman not counting trident or lasso.

#29 Posted by Evil Incarnate (3808 posts) - - Show Bio

I was hoping that this new, younger Wonder Woman would show the trials that she would go through, which would enable her to be the hero she was a few years ago, but instead they've turned her into a shallow version of herself. They do this with her quite often, it's almost as if they have a hard time with her having a developed personality and powers to rival Superman at the same time. I think they lack direction with her. To me they've always kinda treat her as the token chick of the group, as if she's just there to meet a quota and not out of what she brings to the group. With all the liberties they've taken with Diana it seems like they took a left instead of a right. I for one would like to see new and unique powers and a better in depth story line, not just in her book, but when she's involved in others. Also I HATE the artwork on her solo series.

#30 Edited by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve: clayface could tag her,that's the inconsisten,because wonder woman with her god like speed should never be tagged by clayface.

she isn't hard to writte anymore,after 71 years and writters still don't know how to writte her without falling into inconsistencies?,sorry but i'm not buying that,there's no excuses for them.

it's not that hard to avoid inconsistencies,they must know the character level,if they know that they're writting a character with god like power,then don't make her have problems with characters that a peak human can beat,don't make her get hurt by a city buster attack,when she has taken much worse attacks,don't make her be tagged by slow foes,they should know the level of the fights that they have to use for her,they must know the level that her opponents must have to be a real thread for her,they must konw the standar of the character that they're writting,that's how you avoid inconsistencies,but no,many times writters are too lazy,and instead of thinking in real threads for her level,they just let her be humiliated by something that a character with god like power like her shouldn't have a problem to face it.

#31 Posted by GTG (7 posts) - - Show Bio

So if I have this correct Wonder Woman is still fast enough to block bullets and shatter hal jordons green energy? unless I am missing something here how could aquaman beat wonder woman in this situation?

#32 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Evil Incarnate: for me,the problem with her through the years,is that outside her titles,most writters treat her like a punching bagor just the helper,while superman and batman do all the important job.

and other problem is that many,many times,the writters make her power level inconsistent,in her comic and outside her comic,for me those are her big problems,that don'l her improve.

if you want,check this topic that i masde,here is the link.

http://www.comicvine.com/wonder-woman/29-2048/is-wonder-woman-treared-poorly/92-685843/#64

#33 Posted by Evil Incarnate (3808 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@Evil Incarnate: for me,the problem with her through the years,is that outside her titles,most writters treat her like a punching bagor just the helper,while superman and batman do all the important job.

and other problem is that many,many times,the writters make her power level inconsistent,in her comic and outside her comic,for me those are her big problems,that don'l her improve.

http://www.comicvine.com/wonder-woman/29-2048/is-wonder-woman-treared-poorly/92-685843/#64

That's EXACTLY what I've been saying for years. She's in Superman's physical level and Batman and her share a huge fighting prowess, but they always have to be the ones to save the day. Add in the fact that every major event (Infinity Crisis, etc) show her as an extra and not a major character. This is why there's no Wonder Woman movie or show. They severely nerfed her.

#34 Posted by TheGraySon (457 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly aquaman is written worse than WW... Sword of Atlantis was the worst thing ive ever read, the art was terrible too.

#35 Edited by drgnx (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

I think they do this for everyone but Batman & Superman and a select few from Marvel. Sooner or later a top 100 character/hero will get their time to shine and stand with the iconic characters, then be pushed back to "side-kick" status (if they are lucky). Marvel masks it better because they have multiple popular teams (to non-comic fans), but I think its nothing new or special. They need to push new characters while not completely ignoring current ones. But they also need to keep their top $$$ makers shinning.

As for the current JLA team, they've made it so everyone on JLA but Batman and Cyborg appears just below Superman and somewhat even. Superman even stated that Flash can't sneak up on him in his recent comics, so that is impressive, but hints that he is not OP fast right now and tag-able by others. So I think this is too close to call right not, though I would have thought WW should win before seeing A.M. lift a ship and tank bullets.

#36 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: but that's the problem,she is supposed to be one of the big 3,and yet,many writters treat her like the helper or the punching bag,and now evn other characters shine while her,an iconic character is in the shadows.

and many characters make her weak and inconsistent when she is in fact very powerful,and wonder woman doesn't

make more money for DC because they never promote her,they never invest in her,so they treat her poorly too many times.

#37 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@Evil Incarnate: glad to know that i'm not the only one that thinks that.

she is very powerful,she has the potential to do planet busting level feats like superman has done,and is one of the smartest and skilful fighters along with batman,but they show her like if she was less than them when she is around them,and that is unfair.

#38 Edited by drgnx (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@drgnx: but that's the problem,she is supposed to be one of the big 3,and yet,many writters treat her like the helper or the punching bag,and now evn other characters shine while her,an iconic character is in the shadows.

and many characters make her weak and inconsistent when she is in fact very powerful,and wonder woman doesn't

make more money for DC because they never promote her,they never invest in her,so they treat her poorly too many times.

You have an expectation that there is a big three and that she is part of it, and so you have the perception that she is getting the short end of the stick, when she is getting fair treatment.

I don't think DC every really committed to a big three as much as some artists wanting to promote the idea. IT been more of Batman and Superman, with Wonder Woman getting teamed with them more than the others. If you compare Earth 2 and Earth 1 in DCnU you'll see my point as E-2 did seem to push the idea of the big 3 ... for 1 issue, but that was more plot driven to create a certain environment/setting.

But to give you more perspective.

• In DCnU you see Barman indicating that the entire JL might have to go after Superman one day (Action Comics - I think), but then in JLA you see Wonder Woman kicking him across the town.
  • In Batman and Batwing comics, Batman the tech guy who builds his and his teams best toys, but in JLA he refers to Cyborg for most tech matters.
  • Superman is Supposed to have Kryptonian science and knowledge to surpass earths, but yet Batman does the vast majority of work in that area, before handing that over to Cyborg (for JLA), yet you see Superman reading a USB stick in his comics with his eyes.
  • Martian Manhunter ... had to be removed from JLA (self explanatory)

So even the Big two get dialed down when part of a team, so the big 3 are equal in that matter as the other characters.

#39 Edited by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: no,they aren't equal,in almost every important event in DC,superman and batman do the important job,and she is just the helper,or barely a featured character,most of the time they save the day,and she is in the shadows,they have saved the world many times,she has never done something that big,and it's the same in the animated series,movies etc,she is not as relevant as them,so she is treated poorly compared to them.

#40 Posted by TERMINATORXX (3899 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman

#41 Edited by drgnx (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

@drgnx: no,they aren't equal,in almost every important event in DC,superman and batman do the important job,and she is just the helper,or barely a featured character,most of the time they save the day,and she is in the shadows,they have saved the world many times,she has never done something that big,and it's the same in the animated series,movies etc,she is not as relevant as them,so she is treated poorly compared to them.

So at worst, she is treated like the rest of the DC universe (like 99.99999%)...

#42 Edited by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: i don't think so,because most writters make her inconsistent and weak,every character has inconsistensies,but most of the times,she is written even worse than anyone else,and now,even aquaman has much better development than her,she is very powerful and is an interesting characters,but most writters don't show that,they just make her look bad.

#43 Posted by senglord (1443 posts) - - Show Bio

What we have in the New 52 is a case of three versions of a character. Azarello's Wonder Woman in her title. This Diana is a legitimate contender for a match against Superman one on one.

The Charles Soule Wonder Woman, who is STILL Superman level. This is through her skills and training, not her physicals.

The Justice League Wonder Woman is a violent, emotionally unstable demigod who is not quote in the league of Aquaman or Green Lantern by her feats and lack of leadership ability.

Aquaman in his own title has the invulnerability to swim through molten lava. Lift tankers without the tanker taking damage. And Beat Ocean Master, who could one shot Superman and Wonder Woman.

If PIS like that is allowed, Aquaman could solo pre 52 Spectre, Aquaman has at most the strength to move an island size chunk of the Earth's crust. Superman can bench press the earth (pis) and Wonder Wiman is the hammer of the gods. And Aquaman loses to Diana HARD. Aquaman, like Namor, is only mid tier in his element. It is the difference of the franchises. Black Manta is not in the Joker's or Mad Hatter's level of intellect , yet he has given the ENTIRE Aquaman family serious problems.

If you want to know what the level of a hero is, compare their best nemeses against each other. How would Manta stand up against Cheetah? Or Ares? Or the First Born?

How would Aquaman fare against them?

For those who feel that Aquaman should be treated as high tier:

How would Aquaman fare against the Rogues? Against Sinestro? Against Brainiac? Against Lex Luthor? Against Clayface? Against Anton Arcane? Against killer frost? Against Multiplex? Against Mad Hatter? Against Scarecrow? Against Deathstroke? Against Brother Blood? Against Carnage? Against Venom? Against Hellspont? Against Sinister? Against Eclipso? Against Zod? Against Black Adam?

The only ones that would get solidly beat by Aquaman in a fight near the ocean would be the Spiderman and Batman villains. Which indicate a mid tier superhuman. He is not doing jack against Sinestro without massive PIS and nerfing. I honestly feel that this could be used as a way to shit down some of my fellow Batman fans from getting ahead of themselves for his actual level. If two characters are close in power, they would be able to deal with the other heroes rogues' gallery with only a change in tactics and reasonable prep. Batman would need years to get the resources to deal with Flash's rogues. And he would die in weeks. Aquaman would do little better. Arcane would wreck most of the League if they challenged him. Lex Luthor would also give most League members more than they could handle. Cheetah already showed that she is too much for Arthur when fully amped to fight Diana. Matter Master and Dr. alchemy would wreck most mid tier heroes.

Aquaman is around Iron Man level, with more TP and less durability. Especially New 52.

I have given up on reading anything decent during this run of the Justice League or JLA. I feel that Romita is being used to prop up an inferior writer. And the sad thing is that readers will have to deal with Johns Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman being the basis for all new writers to use for the characters. And that will seriously hurt the DC brand down shelf.