Why don't people think out of the box for prep battles' discussions?

RichardCranium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've noticed that lately there's been less and less threads involving prep battles. My guess is that prep battles are either no longer popular, or its perhaps something more worrying... --> prep battles require critical thinking which people hate?

Battles involving Batman, for instance, when pitted against opponents of far higher power level than he usually operates, will usually have comicvine posters saying that its a stomp against Batman.

Of course in a straight up fight, Batman will not be any match for Silver Surfer, Luffy, Naruto, or any of these characters. However, if you give him prep, Batman has shown to be able to think out of the box and find out a way around a situation. For instance, exploiting the weakness of Superman, or talking his way out of near-certain death and then sucker punch the foe into unconsciousness. Don't just say that there are no feats of Batman comparable with that of Superman, because as an alternative, Batman have feats that show him outwitting opponents on the power level of Superman.

Couple of infamous prep battle threads back in 2014:

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/batman-vs-nate-grey-read-op-1569635/

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/batman-vs-thor-1581017/

So why don't comicvine users resort to arguments as the users in the above threads had done too?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Because it's harder to be objective.

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've noticed that lately there's been less and less threads involving prep battles. My guess is that prep battles are either no longer popular, or its perhaps something more worrying... --> prep battles require critical thinking which people hate?

Battles involving Batman, for instance, when pitted against opponents of far higher power level than he usually operates, will usually have comicvine posters saying that its a stomp against Batman.

Of course in a straight up fight, Batman will not be any match for Silver Surfer, Luffy, Naruto, or any of these characters. However, if you give him prep, Batman has shown to be able to think out of the box and find out a way around a situation. For instance, exploiting the weakness of Superman, or talking his way out of near-certain death and then sucker punch the foe into unconsciousness. Don't just say that there are no feats of Batman comparable with that of Superman, because as an alternative, Batman have feats that show him outwitting opponents on the power level of Superman.

So why don't comicvine users resort to arguments as the users in the above threads had done too?

Batman, even with prep, isn't above superman.

RichardCranium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richardcranium said:

Batman, even with prep, isn't above superman.

Who says he's above Superman? Nobody is saying that. But it is still arguable that with prep he can find a winning situation out of a battle with someone on the level of Superman.

its not just Batman. Other intelligent characters like Spiderman, Iron Man, etc etc faces the same thing when it comes to their battle threads.

All i see is people using H2H/destructive feats and not feats where Spiderman/Iron Man outwits his opponents.

batmanprep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is omnipotent unbeatable being with some seconds of prep

Artyom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not a battle.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richardcranium: argue like that guy in batman vs nate grey thread and you will get banned in the long run

sacredweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cause chew force.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Because there is a thin line between finding creative solutions for your character and just wanting them to win regardless of reason ie 'character wanking'. The problem with these 'prep battles' is that it gives some of the more zealous fans a blank check to cook up ridiculous scenarios for their characters since, technically anything goes. From what I have seen, it is particularly bad with battles involving Batman, Dr Doom and Ozymandias.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

schillenger420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By schillenger420

For the record, Batman himself has said that if Superman really wanted him dead, there wouldn't be a thing he could do about. In a true Batman v. Superman fight, apparently even Batman admits that no amount of prep can save him.

As for prep battles in general, it's my opinion that a lot of those battles have already more or less been decided. And yes, of all the preppers, Batman, Spiderman, and to a certain degree even the vaunted Tony Stark pale in comparison to either Dr. Doom or Reed Richards.... with the edge going to Doom. That guy... even if you think you've won... all you really did was beat a Doombot while the real Doom was back at your base stealing your tech. That's just how Victor rolls.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I just really hate when people ignore prep altogether and treat the thread like it's a random encounter.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just really hate when people ignore prep altogether and treat the thread like it's a random encounter.

RandomSid82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because, for some characters, no amount of prep is going to give Batman a win. Batman uses prep mostly to take advantage of weaknesses that the other character has. Some characters have no weaknesses that he can exploit.

StrictlyAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StrictlyAnime

Personally, I don't debate with characters who benefit from prep. Characters like Natsu, Ryuko, King Bradly, and Luffy and the like don't really plan their next moves. That's why I normally stick with random encounter threads.

Though I feel I could debate Shikamaru, Ussop, and LELOUCH VI BRITANNIA fairly well.

mr-luxcipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because there is a thin line between finding creative solutions for your character and just wanting them to win regardless of reason ie 'character wanking'. The problem with these 'prep battles' is that it gives some of the more zealous fans a blank check to cook up ridiculous scenarios for their characters since, technically anything goes. From what I have seen, it is particularly bad with battles involving Batman, Dr Doom and Ozymandias.

This, basically.

DonatelloRawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DonatelloRawks

@never_give_up said:
@allstarsuperman said:

Pretty much this.

FFS people, everyone knows in a straight up fight Batman will lose to the majority of the super-powered characters. But Batman is not someone who goes on a straight up fight with superhumans. He always has prep, and will find a way to win therefore.

Which is why I will always back Batman if he faces up with impossible odds.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Because there are only certain people you can use in prep battles:

• The Doctor
  • Batman
  • Reed Richards/Maker.
  • Iron Man

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@never_give_up said:
@allstarsuperman said:

Pretty much this.

FFS people, everyone knows in a straight up fight Batman will lose to the majority of the super-powered characters. But Batman is not someone who goes on a straight up fight with superhumans. He always has prep, and will find a way to win therefore.

Which is why I will always back Batman if he faces up with impossible odds.

We all know that Batman even with Chewforce would lose to The Doctor.

ggrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

becos prep battles aren't fun to discuss

IAmVerySmart1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people lost their creativity

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both if these.

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz said:
@brucerogers said:

@i_like_swords said:

Both if these.

Signed, and QFT

Con7879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My problem with the prep time fights is that the more prep time you give a character the less it becomes "would character x beat character y in a fight" and the more it becomes "could character x conceivably get or make a deus ex machina that would let him beat character y"

sure there are some match ups where prep time won't really swing it the other way, but mostly I feel prep fights are less about who would win based on feats/powerset/characterisation and more could you imagine a story where this character beats that one because he's been preparing for it for years.

RR79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me, prep battles can be fun but at the same time you have to stay within a certain area.

For example. Lets say you have character A with two weeks prep and you say that character A makes a device that would allow them to time travel to beat character B. Does character A have any feats of making similar devices? Does character A have the necessary skill to make such a device? Would character A do that sort of thing in character? If the answer to all of those is yes, then sure, they could do it. But, if the answer to any of those is no, then it wouldn't be feasible that they could do it. Then you also have to look at if they have ever made a device like that in that amount of time as well.

So yeah, prep battles can think outside the box, as long as you stay within the capabilities and character of said character.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Feats