Who's the Smartest Person Spidey Can Beat in a Chess Match?

SpinnerComix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Just realized this makes him look stupid... Oh well.
Just realized this makes him look stupid... Oh well.

We're shakin' it up a little bit!

We all know that Peter Parker is a genius, and his intelligence is an important of him being Spiderman. And what better game for smart people, than chess?

So basic tournament chess rules.

Who is the smartest he can beat in a chess match?!

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By renamed040924

I'm not sure. Peter isn't really a classical, educated type of strategist who plays chess, he's an improviser, a guy who thinks on his feet and feels things out. I mean he'd probably be the best in the real world by virtue of sheer IQ, but in the comic world he wouldn't be very high up. It's hard to find that middle ground between the average guys and the super geniuses, so I can't really say who he would beat in comics, but in terms of chess he likely wouldn't stand a chance against the big boys like Stark, Wayne, Doom, Strange, McCoy, etc.

Actually, I think Peter Parker vs Clark Kent in chess is fairly interesting.

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bluejay4

Peter is one of the smartest on Earth which counts for something, but as both a chess player and a Spiderman fan I know Peter really shines with improvising and quick thinking which would definitely help him in something like bullet chess. On the other hand I can't say for certain if he'd honestly be that great in a standard game as intelligence doesn't equal skill. I suppose he could take Magnus Carlson or Kasparov in a bullet game, anything above this guys is pushing it imo.

Namasthetu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter is fundamentally an engineer in addition to being intuitive and improvisational. All that add-libbing comes from a solid and logical knowledge base. The problem I see here is that ll the people smarter than Peter, would probably find chess to be a boring and limited game of finite moves and counter moves. The people who move past his level of intelligence are really the ones who can not only memorize all moves but probably memorize entire games and patterns without effort. The real question is whether Peter has any competition that would be interested in a game.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cesar from Planet of the Apes. He's highly intelligent, but probably doesn't know how to play chess.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@nickzambuto: Shouldn't superman be able to think faster though? I was thinking Arrow vs Peter is a fair interesting match(assuming both know the rules of chess). Maybe Peter vs CW Zoom? Or is Zoom to brilliant and should also think faster?

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Peter's intellect has been compared to Reed Richards, and he WAS able to employ beyonder's powers to an excellent level with no prior knowledge or experience of using it. I'm betting he could take on Batman and pull off a win.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: All of this only works if we assume both parties know how to play chess. It's just a fun way of asking who is superior at mind games, tactics, and strategy. Be the same in a poker match.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lowlaville: The beyonder ia basically All Knowing, so if you would to have his powers you would know how to use them. Come on, Petes no where on Reeds level. Spiderman preps to beat Carange and Venom. Reed preps to take down Doom.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By tparks

@lukehero: I was just trying to find a loophole to look smart. Thanks for blowing it!

Anyways, I'd like to see what Spider-Man does with Tim Drake in chess.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By lowlaville

@lukehero said:

@lowlaville: The beyonder ia basically All Knowing, so if you would to have his powers you would know how to use them. Come on, Petes no where on Reeds level. Spiderman preps to beat Carange and Venom. Reed preps to take down Doom.

Of course. But Peter did create a time machine using nothing but a blender and a microwave. That is smart.

And no...Beyonder's powers were too much for Wolverine with a tougher body to handle. It takes a degree of intelligence to handle his powers. A monkey is not going to be able to control it.

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: While he isn't quite at Reed's level, both Hank Pym and Reed himself have alluded to Peter having the potential to get there.

wbr17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does he even chess?

chuckwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though I doubt Peter plays much chess he has the potential to beat anyone for one simple reason... his spider-sense would prevent him from ever making a wrong move, so the best his opponent could hope for is a stalemate.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

anyone who makes a stupid move and he takes advantage of it

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol I forgot about the spider sense, with it he could probably take grandmasters like they were amateur's.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider sense GG, he can beat anyone

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mindless hulk

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VashtaNerada88

Doc Ock

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9
deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely different skills really to intelligence.

It's not about just being able to invent stuff.

Will steve jobs beat the average GM? nope. Not at all.

I wouldn't really think Pete would really win that many games of chess to be honest. How does Pete deal with long term attacks from enemies? He doesn't, he's terrible at it really. Look how Doc Oc stole his body that's chess right there. Look at how myriads of spidermans were being killed off and they were left being chased 90% of the time. Forcing hands, baiting opponents. That's chess.

An intelligent person would be able to come with a means to victory from a sticky situation. In petes case he usually wins through sheer spideyness or intelligence alone.

A great strategist wouldn't be in a sticky situation but would be controlling the game.

His track record of letting his opponents get the upper hand shows how terrible he would be at chess.

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soaringturkeys: 1. The SS would allow him not to make a bad move sort of like a chess computer.

2. In things like blitz Peter could do really well, its much more fast paced with less thought which is were Peter really shines and excells in.

Quickfingers26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Peter Parker would be an average to slightely above average chess player. Chess relies heavily on strategy, with prepared openings and seeing several moves ahead. I like Spiderman and I play chess, but I have seen nothing that indicates he'd be a great chess player. With his intelligence and wit, I think he'd be fine and maybe even good, but I don't think this is an area he'd shine in.

I'd like to see Spidey vs Hawkeye in a chess match.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@nickzambuto: Shouldn't superman be able to think faster though? I was thinking Arrow vs Peter is a fair interesting match(assuming both know the rules of chess). Maybe Peter vs CW Zoom? Or is Zoom to brilliant and should also think faster?

He should, but that's what makes them a close match. Clark can spend years in his head just formulating the best strategy he can possibly come up with, but since Peter is actually more intelligent, his strategy might be something Clark couldn't even think of at all. But then again, Clark is a genius in his own right. So close match.

There was that episode of Flash where Wells had a flashback to when he was playing chess with Pied Piper. I think I picture both him and Oliver being better chess players than Peter, but it's definitely arguable.

Avatar image for ninjawarrior268
NinjaWarrior268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

Deathstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluejay4:

1. It really wouldnt. spider sense wouldn't know that he's baited 5 moves down the track.

2.no. blitz isn't that bad. the average game lasts 40 moves. the first 10 moved are usually already determined depending on the opening.

Being smart has nothing to do with winning a game of chess. It's tactics.

How many times has spiderman fallen for traps only for him to get out of it because of his spider senses or intelligence?

Nearly every issue.

Look at cap vs Tony, reed + hank.

with all the intelligence they had. The best tactic they could come up with was to sneak a mole into his group.

cap knew this, fed misinformation, and also put hulking in place of hank So that the super prison the geniuses built would release every prisoner to fight for cap.

That's tactics. Can cap build a tenth of the things they can build? No freaking way. Are those 3 more intelligent than cap? Yes

will cap beat them in a game of chess.

Most certainly

ask yourself this.

pick up any issue of spiderman and how often does he need to come up with an ingenious way of winning when favors aren't stacked to his favor?

Every issue.

Sure he has spider senses but no amount of pre caution or warning spiderman or time could have to make him win even against chess players when you are down a few integral pieces

Avatar image for deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5
deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter's best bet in winning is most likely against Tim Drake or Hawkeye, as already mentioned.

Like everyone said, Pete is a hands-on type of guy, then working to improvise or create something new based off of prior experience. He's a good on-the-spot thinker as well when under pressure. Though we just have never really seen him use that skill efficiently in prep, strategically, against his enemies.

And someone mentioned Peter's spider sense coming into play. That would be really intriguing to see it play out in a chess match, or if it does work in a chess match.

L. D.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@llehdevil: I don't really see spider sense to be too effective if he isn't that tactical to begin with.

If you walk yourself into a trap and find your last 10 moves to be forced or predetermined no matter how intelligent, how quick you perceive time, how much spider sense you have, you will lose.

Also no way Clint or Tim loses to spideY.

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soaringturkeys:

1. That's EXACTLY what it would do, it would warn Peter that it was a trap and NOT to make the move. All he has to do is rinse and repeat and he should be fine.

2. I'm not even sure what your trying to say, you contradicted yourself multiple times and if anything reaffirmed my position that Peter is a fast thinking guy. Which is a good quality to have when playing a 30 second to 5 minute game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluejay4:

1. No it wouldn't. Answer this. How many times has Pete walked into a trap? and pete had to improvise something or create something to his advantage? or beat his opponent through sheer strength or speed?

Nearly ever encounter. Don't tell me his Spidey Sense makes him avoid every traps possible. BS. He gets himself into sticky situations all the freaking time. He might be able to dodge the bullets and the punches but he got to the point of being shot at and his spidey sense & pure speed had to save his ass.

His track record of being put in compromising scenarios is pretty much every issue.

In chess this just means you lose a piece or lose a positional advantage..

Sure his spider sense might be going crazy in the last 20 moves, but what good would that do when the last 90% of the moves would be predetermined. Unless your opponents are stupid, end games should be forced.

His spider sense isn't programmed to win a game of chess. That's bollocks.

2. No i haven't contradicted myself once.

You are getting confused.

The first 10 moves of any chess game is action-reaction. 1.C4 The next person will immediately react with c5, e6 or Nf6 depending on if they want to be aggressive or defensive. No other moves need apply. Lets be ridiculous and say pete will move and go through the opening in 5 seconds, his opponent, assuming no-one makes mistakes (which on a pro level noone does) will take 30 seconds. That just means that eventually pete will lose and still have 4 minutes 50 seconds left on his clock while the pro would have allocated an appropriate amount of time

There's a reason magnus and other greats could beat other intelligent people easily and handily.

Look at Bill gates vs magnus. Magnus was given a severe time handicap, which meant he only had .5 seconds to move between turns. He still beat him anyway.

That's pretty much this game.

Pete could perceive the game in 10 minutes great. He will still lose against chess players.

Heck,

Pete can have a month to think of his moves but if the last 20 moves are somewhat predetermined, No amount of spider sense would save him.

P.S Blitz chess is not 30 seconds.

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soaringturkeys:

1. What are you rambling on about? That because of WIS, PIS and CIS the SS doesn't work anymore? If there's a trap Peter will know this just like every time he WAS warned.

2. Blitz involves quick thinking and strategy, which Peter absolutely excels at more than anything else, that combined with SS should make him pretty much damn near unbeatable.(Note: Blitz is usually only five minutes, but there obvious exception such as the Bill Gates vs Magnus Carlson where Carlson I believe only played with 30 seconds.) Also I never brought up intelligence as a point so why are you even bringing it up?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluejay4:

Scenario.

Comics.

Spidey villain lures spiderman into location X

and manages to throw a myriad of things at Spidey, spidey is outnumbered, clearly outmatched, and clearly underpowered

But due to Spideys resourcefulness and spidey senses matched with his sheer agility, he manages to win and all traps attacks and resources are moot because spidey is just awesome.

Chess.

Spidey opponent lures spiderman into position X

and manages to throw a myriad of things at Spidey, Spidey is outpositioned and clearly outmatched.

But because Spidey's resourcefulness doesn't matter anymore, no matter how much his spider senses tingle, the last 20 moves have been predetermined.

Please don't tell me the Comic scenario is not true. please tell me you actually read spiderman comics.

Note.

Also I only brought up 30 seconds because you said 30 seconds.

Which is a good quality to have when playing a 30 second to 5 minute game.

I was correcting you by saying Blitz chess is not 30 seconds. So for you to "note" me is false. I know how long blitz chess is. I was the one that corrected you.

The magnus vs gates comment shows what the game would be like scaled appropriately.

Gates (spiderman) has more time to think on his hands, the strategist (magnus) only has a few seconds relative. Strategist would still win.

I'm going to go out on a hyperbole here and say every because you don't seem to understand.

In every single issue Spiderman has been put in a position where he has to use his resourcefulness, sheer speed and agility coupled with spider senses to win a massive disadvantage.

He is still in a disadvantaged position.

He has in every issue managed to put himself in a disadvantaged situation.

What does this equate in chess?

Loosing pieces and putting yourself in a position where the last moves are predetermined. No amount of SS would help if the last moves are forced. His speed means nothing. His thinking speed means nothing. You will lose if you put yourself in a terrible position.

If you disagree with the fact that pete has been in disadvantaged position due to his opponent in nearly all issues then you don't read spiderman comics at all.

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bluejay4

@soaringturkeys: your entire argument relies on the fact that Peter's SS is somehow not going to work... I'm not even sure how to respond to this to be honest. Your also claiming Peter is put at a disadvantage in EVERY comic he's appeared in... I don't even... Once again why are you bringing intelligence up again? I never even used it as a point to begin with. Ill restate my points and then I'm done with this debate. Peter is a quick thinker and strategist with a warning sense, he should creme even the likes of Carlson and Kasparov based on those two facts alone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really see spider sense to be too effective if he isn't that tactical to begin with.

So you're saying Spidey sense depends on how tactical Peter is?

@llehdevil:

If you walk yourself into a trap and find your last 10 moves to be forced or predetermined no matter how intelligent, how quick you perceive time, how much spider sense you have, you will lose.

Then again, I never said Spidey sense would work, let alone how it would work. We don't know if Peter's spider sense would let him get into those situations as well.

@llehdevil: I don't really see spider sense to be too effective if he isn't that tactical to begin with.

How do you know this for sure?

L. D.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluejay4: Your entire argument relies on the fact that Peter's SS acts like a chess computer.

Does his SS know that A7 is 2% better than A8? Can his SS know that although Bg2 would give him a 38% chance of blitzing providing that his opponent doesn't do e5 or Nc6?

It doesn't.

Yes I said a hyperbole cause you didn't get it. I even warned you about the hyperbole.

But YES oh freaking yes.

Pick up any spiderman comic and tell me what issue it is.

A) Did spiderman put himself into a disadvantaged position.

B) Did his opponents put Spidey in a disadvantaged position.

What does it mean in chess?

Losing. No matter how quick thinking you are or whether or not you have pre-warning, if you or by yourself or by your opponent are put in a disadvantaged position (Which pete is clearly always in)

And don't tell me his Spider senses warns him about up coming conflict. BS.

Did his SS warn him that Tony would turn on him eventually if he dons his mecha spidey suit? Sure he was warned off his attacks when they came but he put himself in that position.

It's not about "oh shit don't move there cause in 2 moves it's going to be a no no. My spider senses are tingling I should move here"

It's oh wow i'm in such a disadvantaged position that no matter what I do I will lose. if you knew chess then you would know this to be true.

but good riddance, Good bye. you clearly don't read spiderman comics or play chess.

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soaringturkeys: Your right the SS isn't a computer, but if he's going to make a terrible move then it WILL let him know. Its as simple as that. Peter being a quick thinker IS going to help in a blitz game, reason being because of how used to fast paced decision making and on the spot plans, which count for a lot in blitz. But seriously this is the last time I'm responding, I suggest not acting like such a jack ass when debating next time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@llehdevil:

He put on Tonys suit during Civil war. That was clearly not the right move. No matter how much his SS tingled it was far too late.

He lost his body to Doc Oc. Clearly not the right move and no matter how much his SS tingled it was far too late.

He and several incarnations of Spiderman during the spiderverse conflict kept being put on the defensive by people without spider sense.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluejay4:

No, itl just mean he is defeated quicker.

Bye then. Sorry for hurting your feelings.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

Not a battle. \

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/battle-forum-rules-2-0-compulsory-reading-1505000/#1

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How the hell would any know this?

No Caption Provided

s1ckb0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. He can be a beast with tactics sometimes. And hes good with Math. So I would say Bane or Ras Al Gaul.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Johnny Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soaringturkeys said:

@llehdevil:

He put on Tonys suit during Civil war. That was clearly not the right move. No matter how much his SS tingled it was far too late.

He lost his body to Doc Oc. Clearly not the right move and no matter how much his SS tingled it was far too late.

He and several incarnations of Spiderman during the spiderverse conflict kept being put on the defensive by people without spider sense.

1. Perhaps that's a good example. Is this to discredit that spider sense may work in a chess match?

2. Peter didn't see that variable of body-switching coming, so that probability was near-to-zero to him. In Chess it's more straight-forward.

3. What's you point?

4. And you still never explained why you think this:

5. To your comment here:

I don't really see spider sense to be too effective if he isn't that tactical to begin with.

Like I said, Peter is more tactical when in the situation itself. And he's a hands-on and feel-it-out type of guy.

L. D.