• 68 results
#1 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been looking through past battles on this web site and I've noticed no one has been able to beat him.
Each character gets 2 day  prep time
No alternate realities
Who can beat him?

#2 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84536 posts) - - Show Bio

(I just like the picture lol)
#3 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler:  Well would you take a look at that....... when was this and who is the one in the middle, it looks like Green Goblin
#4 Posted by demifiend (3575 posts) - - Show Bio

#5 Posted by Freefa11 (2337 posts) - - Show Bio
@PikminMania: It's Eclipso. He was the Spectre's predecessor, but apparently he liked killing a little too much, so the Presence fired him and gave his job to Spectre. Eclipso got seriously depowered too though, so it's not like they're actually equals though.

Anyway, Michael has beaten Spectre before. In the Emperor Joker arc, it was shown that Mxyzptlk's power could overcome him, though I've heard this has been contradicted elsewhere, and personally I'd go with things not written by Loeb.

Living Tribunal should be able to do it.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what Full Strength Spectre is. In DoV I know he was unbound and not holding back. I don't know if that would mean he's at full strength though. If he was, then he's really not as impressive as a lot of people claim. And yes, I know his brains were completely addled so he wasn't fighting intelligently at all, but that doesn't mean his raw power was necessarily reduced.

Based on that though, I would suspect several of Marvel's high tier cosmics and mystic beings could beat him, although some of the mystic beings would have to be in their own realm to do it.
#6 Posted by TheBatman586 (6316 posts) - - Show Bio

What is meant by "full power"? His strongest incarnation? Because if that's the case, there are very few characters that could beat him.

#7 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheBatman586:  yeah his strongest
#8 Posted by the darknessss (2750 posts) - - Show Bio

great evil beast
#9 Posted by Devias (297 posts) - - Show Bio

Would the strongest incarnation of Spectre be 'Day of Vengeance' or 'Crisis on Infinite Earths'?

#10 Posted by Freefa11 (2337 posts) - - Show Bio
@Devias: He was stronger in CoIE, but that's because he was also being amped by what was left of the positive matter universe (or something like that; it's been a while so the details are a little fuzzy), so while that would be the strongest he's been, it wasn't really him at "full strength," it was him at notably higher than his own, normal full strength.

Basically, it's the same thing as comparing normal Captain Marvel to Day of Vengeance Captain Marvel. We know that was waaaay beyond his normal limits.

Unfortunately, with the Spectre it's a lot harder to tell what his normal limits are.
#11 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio
@beatboks1:  I wasn't aware Shuma-Gorath was that strong
#12 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio
@Freefa11:  Was Kingdom Come Spectre overpowered or like the original one because I've only read a few stories with Spectre and he seemed strongest in Kingdom Come.
#13 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

The Presence of course, and without a doubt the Overmonitor

#14 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio
@beatboks1:  Huh, no wonder why he kicks so much ass in MvC3 =)
#15 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (23229 posts) - - Show Bio

hands of god ion

crissis on infinite earths anti monitor

zero hour parallax

they would take spectra to the brinks may evan win
#16 Posted by Freefa11 (2337 posts) - - Show Bio
@PikminMania: Sometimes I wonder if I read the same Kingdom Come as everyone else, because I often hear references to "KC Supes" or "KC Captain Marvel," but the only person in the book who seemed to be demonstrably superior to his normal self was Flash, as far as I could tell.

Anyway, I really don't remember the Spectre doing much of anything in KC. I've only read it once though. I'll skim through it later to see if I missed it, but I'm honestly just not sure what he did that you might be referring to.
#17 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio
@Freefa11:  Well he was like a god in way during KC, it seemed like no one could do anything to Spectre.
#18 Posted by capall2 (1428 posts) - - Show Bio

Spear of Destiny (object)...
#19 Posted by spiderbuck (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

Chaos War Herc.

#20 Posted by _Courage_ (1183 posts) - - Show Bio
@Freefa11 said:
" @PikminMania: Sometimes I wonder if I read the same Kingdom Come as everyone else, because I often hear references to "KC Supes" or "KC Captain Marvel," but the only person in the book who seemed to be demonstrably superior to his normal self was Flash, as far as I could tell.

Anyway, I really don't remember the Spectre doing much of anything in KC. I've only read it once though. I'll skim through it later to see if I missed it, but I'm honestly just not sure what he did that you might be referring to.
"
It has been stated that Earth-22 Superman is stronger than the current one since he has absorbed more solar radiation because he is older. Earth-22 Captain Marvel wasn't exactly stronger in my opinion, he just wasn't holding back any.
#21 Posted by Hero1921 (149 posts) - - Show Bio

At full strengths? Doesn't that mean God or the Presence (Equivalent of God in the Dc universe) is backing him up fully? Then he is unstoppable. I can maybe think of God. He jsut turns off his abilities.

#22 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hero1921:  yeah I guess so
#23 Posted by TheBatman586 (6316 posts) - - Show Bio

Spectre's strongest incarnation was during Crisis on Infinite Earths, and he was able to stalemate Anti-Monitor.

Therefore, here are the characters that could DEFINITELY defeat him:

Presence/One-Above-All

Great Evil Beast

Here are the characters that could POSSIBLY defeat him:

Pre-Retcon Beyonder

Living Tribunal

Lucifer Morningstar

Michael Demiurgos

Pre-Retcon Molecule Man

#24 Posted by Nefarious (18702 posts) - - Show Bio

Pre-Crisis Beyonder.

Art by Jim Cheung.
#25 Posted by IZZR (4289 posts) - - Show Bio

No one thats the truth.

#26 Posted by Outside_85 (8129 posts) - - Show Bio

Mandraxx the Dark Monitor managed to take him and the Radiant, the Spirit of Mercy out during the final (and completely unnessesary) pages of Final Crisis, just so the GL's and all the wierd parallel universes thing could have something to do.
Michael, Lucifer and the Presence are also above and beyond the Spectre.

Eclipso and Azmodeus are close to being on his level of power.

All 5th dimensional beings like Mxy, the Thunderbolt and Bat-Mite are beyond him as the Joker showed when he turned him into a grinning idiot with Mxy's powers.

Possibly Krona has the power needed now that he's in control of the emotional entities.

#27 Posted by CapitolPunishment (2303 posts) - - Show Bio

This guy

#28 Posted by CapitolPunishment (2303 posts) - - Show Bio
@Outside_85 said:
"

Mandraxx the Dark Monitor managed to take him and the Radiant, the Spirit of Mercy out during the final (and completely unnessesary) pages of Final Crisis, just so the GL's and all the wierd parallel universes thing could have something to do.
Michael, Lucifer and the Presence are also above and beyond the Spectre.

Eclipso and Azmodeus are close to being on his level of power.

All 5th dimensional beings like Mxy, the Thunderbolt and Bat-Mite are beyond him as the Joker showed when he turned him into a grinning idiot with Mxy's powers.

Possibly Krona has the power needed now that he's in control of the emotional entities.

"

I have to disagree with you on the 5th dimensional beings, there power base in mainstream DC is dependant on magic users. After DOV when the Spectre killed off most magic users Mxy couldnt even remember his own name, because of that huge depowering SBP was able to torture and hold him captive.

A complete Eclipso is on par with the Spectre but he has not been complete being since the Spectre has been around.

Aside from that I approve your post :P.

#29 Posted by karrob (4278 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbuck said:
" Chaos War Herc. "
#30 Posted by Outside_85 (8129 posts) - - Show Bio

@CapitolPunishment:
Well, 9th Age of Magic 5th dimensional beings then.

Btw it wasnt as much of a depowering as it was a shift in how magic works, all magic users were affected by it, but not actually permanently depowered. Unless you happened to be Dr. Fate.

#31 Edited by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman with his jobber aura turned up to full:

#32 Posted by CapitolPunishment (2303 posts) - - Show Bio
@Outside_85 said:
"

@CapitolPunishment:
Well, 9th Age of Magic 5th dimensional beings then.

Btw it wasnt as much of a depowering as it was a shift in how magic works, all magic users were affected by it, but not actually permanently depowered. Unless you happened to be Dr. Fate.

"

Yeah, its tricky when it comes the 5th dimensional characters. At one time it was said the the tech from the 5th dim was just so advanced that it looked like magic in the 3rd, It was later changed back to plain magic.

Full powered Spectre is no joke, The Word would wreck him though.

#33 Posted by battlexlordx (314 posts) - - Show Bio

the specter is the eqale of the living tribunal so his power is only second to the precence his loss to micheal was becaus the precence wanted his to lose because micheal was sent to stop the spectre

#34 Edited by Fire Star (3478 posts) - - Show Bio

@CapitolPunishment:
Why would The Word wreck him ? There true power source can be traced back to The Presence ? Also, this entity should be able to hold off The Spectre.

#35 Posted by Sherlock (7240 posts) - - Show Bio
@isaac_clarke: I was gonna post that
#36 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sherlock said:

" @isaac_clarke: I was gonna post that "

Buwahahaha.

#37 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio
@battlexlordx said:
"

the specter is the eqale of the living tribunal so his power is only second to the precence his loss to micheal was becaus the precence wanted his to lose because micheal was sent to stop the spectre

"

Nope.
#38 Posted by battlexlordx (314 posts) - - Show Bio
@isaac_clarke:
explaine your answer is interseting
#39 Posted by battlexlordx (314 posts) - - Show Bio
@isaac_clarke:

i can send you to the dc.wikia page of the spectre i have to admit that dont read alot of specter more batman superman spiderman ironman not x-men and wonder woman. so i ll just say that the wikia is te main source of info for the specter

the wiki said that his ass was handed to hil or it because micheal was sent to stop it.

#40 Posted by CapitolPunishment (2303 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fire Star said:
"

@CapitolPunishment:
Why would The Word wreck him ? There true power source can be traced back to The Presence ? Also, this entity should be able to hold off The Spectre.

"

The Spectre was a fallen angel (Aztar) who rebelled with Lucifer, he later realized his mistake and wanted redemption for his crimes. The Presence (the Voice) erased his memories and turned him into “the Spectre” who from then on would serve the Presence as “the wrath of the Presence”.

The word was the first being created by the Presence, outdating even Lucifer and Michael. He has jurisdiction over things that Spectre does not, he is also considered the older brother of the Spectre. Although his showings were limited he was even shown to be able to do things that Michael and Lucifer were not able to do. One example would be Destiny, Michael and Lucifer were not able to take the “Book of destiny” from him and read it as they wished. While “The Word” on the other hand already knew the entire text of the completed book, he sometimes would recite the text of the book as he passed judgment saying “Accept what is written in the book of Destiny”. The Phantom stranger once called upon him for help to defend the reputation of God because the Spectre and himself were both powerless against the elemental gods. The Phantom Stranger meets him there, reminding him of the danger, The Word’s reply is "Gaze upon the heavens and remember this always. The Word forgets nothing, fallen one". He was shown as the only one who knew the origin of the Phantom Stranger as a once Fallen Angel, not even he himself knew where he came from or who he once was. The word is Pretty much supposed to be Je2us.    

That entity that you posted was able to stalemate the Spectre in her first appearance.

#41 Posted by King Saturn (223816 posts) - - Show Bio
perhaps... Solar - Man of Atom
#42 Posted by Nefarious (18702 posts) - - Show Bio

The In-betweener.

#43 Posted by battlexlordx (314 posts) - - Show Bio

the power of LOVE?????

#44 Posted by PikminMania (4628 posts) - - Show Bio
@battlexlordx:  YES
#45 Posted by Jorg (724 posts) - - Show Bio

#46 Posted by vuviper (5530 posts) - - Show Bio
@beatboks1 said:
" @Freefa11:   It wasn't that Eclipso "killed to much" it was that the Presence changed his outlook. Eclipso was the Spirit of "Wrath" in the time of the Old Testament (a role he fulfilled after the Word). When the Presence got in touch with his feminine side in the times of the New testament he appointed the Spectre as his Spirit of Vengeance (which is tempered a lot more than Wrath). Also it's not even that Eclipso has been all that depowered. When the Presence appointed his replacement Eclipso ended up in the Black Crysta. The Crystal was split into many equal pieces which on occasion take someone as a host. Non of the Eclipso's that we've seen have been the full entity. When you consider that these "portions" of the former spirit of Wrath have almost destroyed the Earth (defeated by the Phantom Stranger at the 9th hr) in the Phantom Stranger mini in 87, as well as again in Eclipso "the Darkness within" in which he faced the combined Earths heroes and required the Will Peyton Starman to sacrifice himself by going nova so his light would hurt Eclipso's darkness. A full powered Eclipso (from all the pieces of the Dark Crystal) Should give Spec' quite a fight (especially if it possesses enough).

Aside from that as already stated the Great Evil Beast (who is the equal and opposite of the Presence the Spectre's power source), Micheal, Lucifer Morningstar, LT, Shuma-Gorath, and any of the Vishanti should have a decent shot. We also have to remember those who have already defeated the Spectre. He has a few arch enemies that have defeated him and he's only ever been able to defeat with help. Zor, and Kulak. Admittedly Zor has been powered down a little in recent years but in the GA the only times that Spec' defeated him was after asking the "voice" (Presence) for help. Like this one
"
Quality post
#47 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
mmmm...does Shazam have a chance at pulling this off?
#48 Posted by CapitolPunishment (2303 posts) - - Show Bio
@beatboks1 said:
" @CapitolPunishment said:
While “The Word” on the other hand already knew the entire text of the completed book, he sometimes would recite the text of the book as he passed judgment saying “Accept what is written in the book of Destiny”. The Phantom stranger once called upon him for help to defend the reputation of God because the Spectre and himself were both powerless against the elemental gods. The Phantom Stranger meets him there, reminding him of the danger, The Word’s reply is "Gaze upon the heavens and remember this always. The Word forgets nothing, fallen one". He was shown as the only one who knew the origin of the Phantom Stranger as a once Fallen Angel, not even he himself knew where he came from or who he once was. The word is Pretty much supposed to be Je2us.    
Just want to point out that the Stranger doesn't know his origin because even DC doesn't know it. There are actually four possible origin stories for the Phantom Stranger and DC has never really decided which if any is the true and only one. There have been references mad by many writers which give credence to each.1. That the Stranger is actually the only angel that would not choose sides when Lucifer lead his revolt, hence he fell only to the mortal world and not all the way to hell. To atone for his betrayal of the presence he now offers hope to all2. That he was a scientist who survived the last big crunch through to this new universe.3. That he was soldier who pierced Christ's side on the Cross with the spear of destiny and was made to live unending as a result. He slowly learned magic and sought redemption by fulfilling the Presences will by becoming his agent of hope.4.That he is the proverbial "wandering Jew" from the bible. "

Good point and very true to date.

I know about the origins, but thank you for writing them out for the readers and myself. I find the reference to the Galactus story funny.

The reason I mentioned it was because at that time when "The Word" was still being written actively in comics he made that statement just to show how "all knowing' he was, as in that case knowing the unknowable, who the PS really was.

#49 Posted by Fire Star (3478 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't make any sense. The Spectre and The Word draw essentially from the same power source, The Presence wouldn't allow one to kill the other.

And your point ? The Radiant is one of few who can stand up to The Spectre at full power, just like The Word.

#50 Posted by JackKnight (2969 posts) - - Show Bio