Which is more powerful, Mjolnir or gl ring?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Mjnoir.

Avatar image for thewhitelantern
TheWhiteLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I thought about saying mjolnir in terms of raw power, but as I thought about how the rings only real limit is the user, it outclasses mjolnir by a long shot(when used to potential). How do I know? The most powerful user of a lantern ring. Mogo.

kidman560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 27

Green Lantern would be more fun to use, but Mjolnir is more powerful.

this is pretty much it!

antiwhipped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By antiwhipped

Does the ring still need to be recharged? That's its main drawback. Also I bet nearly all of us would be very very low end GLs and none of us could even lift the hammer. So I guess being a crappy GL is better than having a hammer I couldn't lift.

In general Mjolnir is more powerful. But these two weapons heavily depend on who is using them.

Shouldn't use feats from Thor. It's hard to tell what are Thor's power's and what are the Hammer's powers. Even Beta Ray was already able to match Thor -before- he had the hammer.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Mjolnir has a pre-established set of abilities, whereas the ring has unlimited power dependant only on the user's willpower. So, theoretically, the Green ring has the most potential, making it logically the most powerful item.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Dratini1331
1-Jon makes a world, 2-Kyle contains the big bang, 3-kyle overloads Oa, 4,5- Kyle withstands the destruction of a solar system

Eh, they're pretty close IMO. As a quick shout out, I would LOVE some epic thor scans with Mjolnir plox :3

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Green Lantern would be more fun to use, but Mjolnir is more powerful.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

every thor fan always says "mjolnir doesnt increase his power it just focuses it" so by that logic the GL rings are leaps and bounds more powerful

ntb101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By ntb101

Green Lantern ring

IRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this not an easy question? I thought a green lantern ring's only limit was the user, but the potential of the ring itself was limitless. Is this not true?

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: @sog7dc: @thewhitelantern: @blazinghell: @irs: The ring has its limits and Stewarts hit them in the past trying to recreate the star system he failed to save.

Ignoring the inherent limitations to usage: Mjolnir by a mile. Sure the ring is powerful, it is a tool bound by creativity - which is really cool... But the hammer turns you into a God. Whosoever wields it gains the the power of Thor - getting a thunder god treatment and access to a plot hammer with few limits.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assuming we think about their full potential. It's pretty close, and the term "powerful" is pretty broad.

In sheer versatility, the Power Ring takes it.

In sheer destructive force, the Mjlonir takes it.

JudgeNeptune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By JudgeNeptune

A GL ring might not be as powerful as the Mjlonir ... but is way cooler

No Caption Provided

ForeverEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

every thor fan always says "mjolnir doesnt increase his power it just focuses it" so by that logic the GL rings are leaps and bounds more powerful

thor fans seem to change their story to fit the argument. just earlier the argument was that thors lightning was NOT magical, but when its thor vs superman they change their tune and say that his lightning IS magical. faboys will fanboy

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isaac_clarke: You didn't really read my post did you? I have made a thread before and asked thro die Garda what mjolnir does. They all told me it only focuses Thors power. It doesn't give him any. And honestly the ring having "limits" was the definition of bad writing. The whole idea behind the ring is that it only limit is its user

FukYouRenchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#218  Edited By FukYouRenchamp

Mjnolnir might have more raw power but I'd actually think the Green Lantern ring is more powerful because of its versatility and convenience.

Also i think i could overcome fear before i became worthy because isnt Odin the one that decides who is worthy not the hammer?

The only thing bad about the ring is you have to recharge it,although its not that bad to the point you have to do it every hour. Isnt it like every 24?

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By isaac_clarke

@sog7dc: The main enchantment for the hammer is receiving Thor's power; that means becoming the God of Thunder. The hammer does amplify what innate powers Thor has to extent - but Thor can't manipulate matter or absorb blasts of energy / throw them back multiplied. Same for teleportation, opening portals etc. A good example of Thor with and without Mjolnir can be found in God of Thunder.

It's writers acknowledging that the rings have limits - something that has been done time and time again. If those limits being intentional by the Guardians or just plainly there because the ring isn't a miniature Infinity Guantlet. No-limits fallacy is no way to write such a common item like a Lantern ring.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isaac_clarke: You miss the theme of the lanterns. They do have limits. The users. But that is the only limit. That is why they are "the most powerful weapons in the universe" this fact is evident by looking at the difference in power between Hal and someone like gnort. Gnort has hit a limit Hal has surpassed. Facts. And I'm glad you brought up god of thunder. As the only difference I noticed was lightening blasts being aimed by the hammer. What did the with mjolnir do that young Thor could not do?

Avatar image for magnusthemagnificent
MagnusTheMagnificent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does the ring still needs to be recharged?

Because if it does, there is a good chance a Mjolnir-wielder can drain it, making it powerless.

Mjolnir!

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

No Caption Provided

Are you suggesting that Mjolnir in this scan focuses Captain's power?

TheWhiteLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isaac_clarke: Yeah you really didn't read my post either. Unless your saying that mjolnir is more powerful then a lantern ring being used by someone like Mogo, (that power is obviously a planet buster) then you can't say mjolnir's power is anywhere close to a ring used to full potential.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewhitelantern: I keep hearing this muttering about not reading post, yet your reponse is talking about plant busting. That's not the main reason for why I poked at Mjolnir and when did Mogo create anything on Stewarts scale as I mentioned above?

And since when was planet busting a big deal? Individual Lanterns have done it and it sure as heck isn't the upward limit to Mjolnir striking power.

Spartan101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hammer,its just more in almost all areas.

TommyJones1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By TommyJones1945

Power ring. Mjolinir is cool but its too plot devicey, and the details about it are sketchy at best.

CIN.

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mjolnir.

Avatar image for your_friendly_azn
Your_Friendly_Azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foreverevil said:

@sog7dc said:

thor fans seem to change their story to fit the argument. just earlier the argument was that thors lightning was NOT magical, but when its thor vs superman they change their tune and say that his lightning IS magical. faboys will fanboy

This, Supe fanboys do the same doe.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Nelomaxwell

Isn't this against the rules?

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kyle with the GL ring could hold the explosion of the sun. And seeing how Alan Scott and Parallax have used the ring, it can result in much destructive power (I know Alan's is the Starheart ring and not a GLC ring, but their functions are similar).Besides you get constructs and costumes! :D

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By slimj87d

Mjolnir doesn't seem to run out of energy, and gives the user the POWER of Thor, so you have all of Thors physicals.

Now at Classic Levels, Mjolnir could do a ton of matter manipulating stuff and allow you to transverse dimensions and teleport your way out of things which is pretty awesome.

I think there are a variable of things and it depends on what task you need to do.

Are we using Classic level Thor? Or current Thor? Are we using Silver age feats for the green lantern ring? Etc.

If a plane was falling, I would want the green lantern ring. If I had to make my way over across the galaxy in one jump, I would want Mjolnir. If I needed to put out a fire, I would want Mjolnir so that I could control the weather. If I wanted to save the polar bears due to global warming, I would want again Mjolnir.

Answer is, both have their pros and cons IMO.

TheWhiteLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isaac_clarke: Has Mogo ever created any kind of construct? I think if he attempted what John did, things would be different since he takes the ring's power to new heights as its user. Power (and obviously versatility) greater than Mjolnir on any day. Also how is planet busting not a big deal? You make it sound like anyone can do it. If mjolnir actually did have the striking power to even put a visible dent in a planet (without PIS) then thor wouldnt have half trouble with he does against physical opponents since he's a brawler. But he does.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By SOG7dc

@bigcimmerian: So that would mean that if you separate thro from the hammer he is either powerless or severely depowered....take your pick.

And I clearly said that Thor fans said that. Go look up the thread I made called "Thor fans are cnfusing the crap out of me..."

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foreverevil said:

@sog7dc said:

This, Supe fanboys do the same doe.

Take this conversation outside to PM's rather than flame bait people into arguing with you guys.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isaac_clarke: Has Mogo ever created any kind of construct? I think if he attempted what John did, things would be different since he takes the ring's power to new heights as its user. Power (and obviously versatility) greater than Mjolnir on any day. Also how is planet busting not a big deal? You make it sound like anyone can do it. If mjolnir actually did have the striking power to even put a visible dent in a planet (without PIS) then thor wouldnt have half trouble with he does against physical opponents since he's a brawler. But he does.

As far as I know - none - which why making the claim of him being the pinnacle of all things GL seems off. What exactly has Mogo done to show greater versatility or power than Mjolnir?

As for planet busting: Any Lantern worth their ring could do in the past - at least before Lanterns started getting written a lot weaker. Thor was shattering the adjacent planets slamming his hammer into Gorr's face in God of Thunder # 9. In the same instance he actually pulls a planet back-together before being destroyed because people are on it. In the past we've seen him destroy mountain tops smashing Celestials with his hammer or shattering mountain sized pieces of Ego before falling into the Earth. And what brawlers are you referring to?

@slimj87d said:

If a plane was falling, I would want the green lantern ring. If I had to make my way over across the galaxy in one jump, I would want Mjolnir. If I needed to put out a fire, I would want Mjolnir so that I could control the weather. If I wanted to save the polar bears due to global warming, I would want again Mjolnir.

Why would you need to have the ring to stop a plane from falling? Between Thor's ability to manipulate the wind and actually catching jumbo-planes falling out of the sky during Chaos War it seems a little of a non-point. Same with fire - you could easily use a ring to cut the air supply to it and smother it. Well if you wanted to fix most of the worlds woes - between nature and crime - Mjolnir seem like the best bet. Thor in the initial depiction of God of Thunder brought back water to a desert worlds in the matter of moments during a little girl's prayer.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#236  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@slimj87d said:

Mjolnir doesn't seem to run out of energy, and gives the user the POWER of Thor, so you have all of Thors physicals.

Now at Classic Levels, Mjolnir could do a ton of matter manipulating stuff and allow you to transverse dimensions and teleport your way out of things which is pretty awesome.

I think there are a variable of things and it depends on what task you need to do.

Are we using Classic level Thor? Or current Thor? Are we using Silver age feats for the green lantern ring? Etc.

No Caption Provided

:P

AngryHulks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on your usage, I would want Mjolnir if I need pure physical power to deal with mystical beings, or when I need to change the weather to suit my needs.

However, if I need a makeshift furniture or some sort of objects, I prefers GL ring. But the power of GL ring ultimately depends on your creativity and your concentration.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By bigcimmerian

@sog7dc said:

@bigcimmerian: So that would mean that if you separate thro from the hammer he is either powerless or severely depowered....take your pick.

And I clearly said that Thor fans said that. Go look up the thread I made called "Thor fans are cnfusing the crap out of me..."

He's neither powerless nor severely depowered without it. He's just as strong, fast, durable, has equal stamina and healing factor with or without hammer. Without Mjolnir he can control weather and fly by manipulating winds, use Godblast and control earth because he's son of Gaia. But Mjolnir gives him matter and energy manipulation, teleportation, faster means of flying, other powerful attacks like soul draining or winds of thousand worlds and it channels his godblast into single target. This is about it and believe me this is 100% right.

Avatar image for deactivated-1358091
deactivated-1358091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@isaac_clarke: Has Mjolnir created a being that was capable of destroying the universe? Read Green Lantern Circle of Fire.

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@The Stegman said:

A GL ring is more versatile and has more practical implications but in terms of raw destructive power, I'd say Mjolnir

I'd have to agree with this right hur.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thewhitelantern said:

As far as I know - none - which why making the claim of him being the pinnacle of all things GL seems off. What exactly has Mogo done to show greater versatility or power than Mjolnir?

As for planet busting: Any Lantern worth their ring could do in the past - at least before Lanterns started getting written a lot weaker. Thor was shattering the adjacent planets slamming his hammer into Gorr's face in God of Thunder # 9. In the same instance he actually pulls a planet back-together before being destroyed because people are on it. In the past we've seen him destroy mountain tops smashing Celestials with his hammer or shattering mountain sized pieces of Ego before falling into the Earth. And what brawlers are you referring to?

@slimj87d said:

Why would you need to have the ring to stop a plane from falling? Between Thor's ability to manipulate the wind and actually catching jumbo-planes falling out of the sky during Chaos War it seems a little of a non-point. Same with fire - you could easily use a ring to cut the air supply to it and smother it. Well if you wanted to fix most of the worlds woes - between nature and crime - Mjolnir seem like the best bet. Thor in the initial depiction of God of Thunder brought back water to a desert worlds in the matter of moments during a little girl's prayer.

if I plane was falling, I would create a polarity magnet that changes the acceleration of the whole plane gradually so no one would get hurt.

First I would ask the ring at what rate of acceleration the plane was falling and then work from there.

I can't do any of that math with Mjolnir. That thing is pretty mute.

There are a lot of things I could do with the green lantern ring as I am a Engineer.

Again, both have their pros and cons.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just because I'm an Engineer, I think the Green Lantern ring would benefit me personally the most. There's already a lot of things I'm imagining I could help society out with so if I were to die or lose my powers, I could help a giant jump in technological advancement that society would be able to carry on without me.

Of course, there are a lot of things I could do with Mjolnir also, but there are a lot of things I personally can't imagine doing and leaving for people to continue on.

The AI of the Green Lantern ring would benefit me the most.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

First I would ask the ring at what rate of acceleration the plane was falling and then work from there.

I can't do any of that math with Mjolnir. That thing is pretty mute.

There are a lot of things I could do with the green lantern ring as I am a Engineer.

Again, both have their pros and cons.

I've seen Mjolnir calculate the destination of a planet-sized object moving at hyperspace speeds. =P

@isaac_clarke: Has Mjolnir created a being that was capable of destroying the universe? Read Green Lantern Circle of Fire.

Most of the time the ring operates no-where near the same range Mjolnir does anyways so it comes down to a big resounding 'whatever' if Kyle dreams up an opponent over a decade ago that was a lot more powerful than he was. Queue the Enterprise Holo-deck created Data's intellectual superior.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isaac_clarke: I'd like to see those scans, sounds pretty cool. If Mjolnir has an AI that is as smart as a Green Lantern ring, then it would make my decision rather difficult.

Avatar image for deactivated-1358091
deactivated-1358091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@isaac_clarke: It does not change the fact that ring is potentially much more powerful than Mjolnir. Just because a bunch of no name featless Lanterns were slain quite easily does not mean that ring is inferior to the Mjolnir.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian: So now we get to the root of the issue at hand. If mholnir neither increases Thors power or gives him any power. Then what does mholnir mean to Thor? What's the point of mholnir if it does nothing that any other hammer coulnt do? A GL ring can do anything it's wearer can imagine..so if mholnir does so little how is it more powerful than a GL ring?

TheWhiteLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isaac_clarke: Mogo hasnt shown versatility, I'm using him as an example of power, since that what the thread is asking. We all know what a beam of green energy from Mogo can do and all I'm saying is that power is obove Mjolnir's power. Why is that so arguable?

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

@isaac_clarke: I'd like to see those scans, sounds pretty cool. If Mjolnir has an AI that is as smart as a Green Lantern ring, then it would make my decision rather difficult.

• http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/9/91339/2995485-prv7564_pg5.jpg
  • http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/9/91339/2995486-prv7564_pg6.jpg

@isaac_clarke: It does not change the fact that ring is potentially much more powerful than Mjolnir. Just because a bunch of no name featless Lanterns were slain quite easily does not mean that ring is inferior to the Mjolnir.

Considering the ring created something more powerful than it was that point is lost on me. In almost all instances - the ring operates at best at a planetary level - short of Jon-Stewart who reached its limit of replicating multiple planets momentarily before the ring called quits. It's just another TNG episode.

@sog7dc said:

@bigcimmerian: So now we get to the root of the issue at hand. If mholnir neither increases Thors power or gives him any power. Then what does mholnir mean to Thor? What's the point of mholnir if it does nothing that any other hammer coulnt do? A GL ring can do anything it's wearer can imagine..so if mholnir does so little how is it more powerful than a GL ring?

The hammer by design is meant to be used by Odin and has assortment of random powers / enchantments that give Thor ability to smack around with beings normally way more powerful than he actually is. Not to mention allows that weather control to not be limited by say a lack of something to generate lightning from.

Except multiple instances conclude that is not remotely the case.

@isaac_clarke: Mogo hasnt shown versatility, I'm using him as an example of power, since that what the thread is asking. We all know what a beam of green energy from Mogo can do and all I'm saying is that power is obove Mjolnir's power. Why is that so arguable?

His 'power' seems to be on a lower tier than Stewart if he can't match him for versatility and at best is being described as a planet-buster. He clearly has nothing on Mjolnir with the way you're arguing it. How powerful do you think the hammer is?

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isaac_clarke: Hmmmm, not much calculation was really done there. He just knew ego's straight path and asked Mjolnir to follow this straight path and keep going on that straight line.

TheWhiteLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By TheWhiteLantern

@isaac_clarke: Now your saying Mogo isn't as powerful as Stewart, when every lantern + the guardians regard him as the one with the most power. Also, the ring is limited only by will and imagination. So don't you think that maybe the reason John couldn't re-create those planets is because he couldn't imagine enough detail about those planets to resurrect them? Wouldn't that mean the ring is again only limited by the user? John almost recreated a miniscule solar system, and Simon baz (after only being a lantern for less than a day) brang someone out of a coma. The upper end showings of what a lantern ring can do, and unknown potential of a ring just top Mjolnir's showings. If you can prove different then go ahead but so far i think its obvious a GL ring's power tops mjolnir's.