#1 Posted by Adam Warlock (723 posts) - - Show Bio

Leonidas with the 300 vs Mathayus (Scorpion KIng) and the black scorpions vs Vlad Dracula (the warlord) and his Romanian army

No distance weapons, spartans have speers, Black Scorpions of the persian swords (curved blades) and the romanians of Longswords

who takes this?

#2 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Are the numbers even?  Does anyone have horses?  Is the armor only what has been seen on them?  Do they have any support weapons?  What does the battleground look like?  Who is situated where on this battleground?  These are some of the questions I would need answered to give a decent answer to this question.

#3 Posted by Adam Warlock (723 posts) - - Show Bio

No horses no shields, leather armor, battleground is sahara.

#4 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

The numbers....

And the Spartans dont even have their shields?  That really lessens the effectiveness of their phalanx.

#5 Posted by Adam Warlock (723 posts) - - Show Bio

3 hundred each and they all face of in a trivium order pointed inwards

#6 Posted by Dynamis (136 posts) - - Show Bio

i'd give it to vlad, based on his scare tactics and his prowess as a strategist. The spartans would lose because of lack of shields and the black scorpion army are less advanced as the romanians.

#7 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Then even without their shields the Spartans are at a distinct advantage.  Spears are practically long distance weapons in and of themselves and they would work well at keeping opponents armed only with long swords and scimitars from getting into their ranks.  The Spartans should be able to break the formations of their enemies.  The only problem is facing two opponents at once and in a completely open field.  The others could outflank them, (manuevering with a long spear in a tight formation is not very easy) and if the land is too open then that makes the men with the shorter weapons decidedly more manueverable.

The fight would depend on several things.  Do the Romanians and Scorpions try to stay in formation?  If they do they get torn apart by the long spears.  Do they break and run?  If they do the Spartans kill them from behind.  If they have experience with phalanxes or troops fighting in tight formation, and I cant remember if either side did, then they would be less likely to run and more likely to try flanking manuevers and possibly even work in small teams like the Romans did.

I think the Romanians and Scorpions are too undisciplined (that's just how I remember them from military history anyway) to contend with the Spartans and so in all liklihood I think the Spartans would emerge victorious.

#8 Posted by Adam Warlock (723 posts) - - Show Bio

I said no Long range crap, it all comes down face to face all 3 armies led by their warlords

#9 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio
Adam Warlock said:
"I said no Long range crap, it all comes down face to face all 3 armies led by their warlords"

You said spears for the Spartans.  You misspelled it but you said it.  Even if you dont throw them (and why would you?) a spear gives you a range advantage over someone with a sword.
#10 Posted by Adam Warlock (723 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Scimitars can disarm them

#11 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really.  Scimatars are nice slashing weapons that will open a long gash on someone but they were made for slashing fles, not for disarming a spearman.  They are no more effective at that than longswords would be.  The spearman would stand back and force his spear into the swordsman with a quick thrust.

#12 Posted by Adam Warlock (723 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Dynamis (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Romanians would still win, Vlad would impale the dead if this was a strategic battle such as multiple rounds of combat. In a open enviorment 300 none shielded spartans would get flanked fairly easily with two armies coming at them. Spears are made of wood except for the tips which in a spartans cas was bronze as well as the scimitars of the black scorpions while Romanians had iron weapons which are stronger and denser giving them a weapon advantage. Vlad was also a better strategist while Leonidus and Scorpion King were warrior kings, i no for a fact Sorpion King wasn't a battle master while Leonidus would rather rely on formation than complicated battle positions giving me this order.

1. Romanians
  2. Spartans
  3. Black scorpions
#14 Posted by Perfect Cell (3470 posts) - - Show Bio

Genghis Khan come out of nowhere and flanks them all.

Mongols for the Win!

#15 Posted by Adam Warlock (723 posts) - - Show Bio

I should put some Super Soldier Nazi's combined with bayonette's and without ammo in here,.... which i just did.

#16 Posted by Dynamis (136 posts) - - Show Bio
Perfect Cell said:
"Genghis Khan come out of nowhere and flanks them all.

Mongols for the Win!"
on horseback they were relentless but this is the case of horsemen so...ya easily destroyed.

If you want a curbstomb throw in armored samurai and Viking berserkers.
#17 Posted by Adam Warlock (723 posts) - - Show Bio

Beowulf and his fellow Scandinavians are in it aswell

#18 Posted by Dynamis (136 posts) - - Show Bio
Adam Warlock said:
"Beowulf and his fellow Scandinavians are in it aswell"

so here are the armies....
  1. romanians
  2. black scorpions
  3. spartans
  4. scandinavians
  5. nazi super soldiers
  6. monguls?
  7. samurai?
  8. Vikings?

I got money on the samurai for they're battle tactics, training, katanas are custom so they are harder than any other armies. Armored and straight up unstoppablity. but if they are not included Scandivians because of the ferocity.

#19 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio
Dynamis said:
"Romanians would still win, Vlad would impale the dead if this was a strategic battle such as multiple rounds of combat. In a open enviorment 300 none shielded spartans would get flanked fairly easily with two armies coming at them. Spears are made of wood except for the tips which in a spartans cas was bronze as well as the scimitars of the black scorpions while Romanians had iron weapons which are stronger and denser giving them a weapon advantage. Vlad was also a better strategist while Leonidus and Scorpion King were warrior kings, i no for a fact Sorpion King wasn't a battle master while Leonidus would rather rely on formation than complicated battle positions giving me this order.
  1. Romanians
  2. Spartans
  3. Black scorpions
"

Impale the dead?  He should worry more about the living first.  I wonder why you have the two armies working against the spartans.  Are they not just as likely to all fight each other or to one team up with the Spartans against the other army?

Spears are made of wood but have you ever tried cutting through a spear?  It's not easy.  Not with a sword, not even with an axe.  Iron weapons are more advanced than bronze weapons, but even in the day of iron weapons, spear shafts were made out of wood.  because it was light and still more than hardy enough.  When iron became available they made spear tips out of iron, but only because it needed to be that way to pierce the iron armor that was in use.  But in this battle Adam has decided that everyone is wearing leather armor.  Because of that, the iron weapons of the Romanians do not give them nearly as distinct an advantage as the range of the spears gives the Spartans.
#20 Posted by Adam Warlock (723 posts) - - Show Bio
Dynamis said:
"Adam Warlock said:
"Beowulf and his fellow Scandinavians are in it aswell"

so here are the armies....
  1. romanians
  2. black scorpions
  3. spartans
  4. scandinavians
  5. nazi super soldiers
  6. monguls?
  7. samurai?
  8. Vikings?

I got money on the samurai for they're battle tactics, training, katanas are custom so they are harder than any other armies. Armored and straight up unstoppablity. but if they are not included Scandivians because of the ferocity.

"
all of em yes. Plus Ninjas and Pirates for the hell of it
#21 Posted by Perfect Cell (3470 posts) - - Show Bio

Samurai were grade B horseback riding warriors and class C Archers. The Samurai and depending on their weapon of choice would be a class A ground warrior.

The Mongols were AAA on horse back swordsmanship and archery. On foot they're pretty ruthless too, because the Mongol didn't follow a marching style battle system as with the ancient Romans and Alexander the Greats army.. They're battle system was basically dirty tactics. Shoot from all angels while moving on horse, cause confusion, surround, and destroy.

Another good army to throw in here are the ancient chinese.. Namely the period of the Three Kingdoms.

#22 Posted by Adam Warlock (723 posts) - - Show Bio

GRaah and Shaolin Monks!!

#23 Posted by Dynamis (136 posts) - - Show Bio
Forever said:
"Dynamis said:
"Romanians would still win, Vlad would impale the dead if this was a strategic battle such as multiple rounds of combat. In a open enviorment 300 none shielded spartans would get flanked fairly easily with two armies coming at them. Spears are made of wood except for the tips which in a spartans cas was bronze as well as the scimitars of the black scorpions while Romanians had iron weapons which are stronger and denser giving them a weapon advantage. Vlad was also a better strategist while Leonidus and Scorpion King were warrior kings, i no for a fact Sorpion King wasn't a battle master while Leonidus would rather rely on formation than complicated battle positions giving me this order.
  1. Romanians
  2. Spartans
  3. Black scorpions
"

Impale the dead?  He should worry more about the living first.  I wonder why you have the two armies working against the spartans.  Are they not just as likely to all fight each other or to one team up with the Spartans against the other army?

Spears are made of wood but have you ever tried cutting through a spear?  It's not easy.  Not with a sword, not even with an axe.  Iron weapons are more advanced than bronze weapons, but even in the day of iron weapons, spear shafts were made out of wood.  because it was light and still more than hardy enough.  When iron became available they made spear tips out of iron, but only because it needed to be that way to pierce the iron armor that was in use.  But in this battle Adam has decided that everyone is wearing leather armor.  Because of that, the iron weapons of the Romanians do not give them nearly as distinct an advantage as the range of the spears gives the Spartans."

i never attempted to cut through a spear before no.....i did however participate in Dagohir which is live action role playing and i fought against several people with spears and i had a long sword which i pwned them all, see spears have a range advantage but when you parry them and get the tip behind you they have no way of guarding you attack because of the range "advantage" because they have no cutting edge and based on the fact that being in an all out war and your side guard (other person to the right or left) has to keep himself alive you will die.
#24 Posted by Adam Warlock (723 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice

#25 Posted by Dynamis (136 posts) - - Show Bio
Adam Warlock said:
"Nice"
thanx^^