TPM Darth Sidious(WollfMyth209) VS Darth Plagueis(JKBart)

• 53 results
WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By WollfMyth209

Darth Plagueis VS Darth Sidious(TPM)

No Caption Provided

Plagueis is defended by:

JKBart

No Caption Provided

TPM Sidious is defended by:

WollfMyth209

No Caption Provided

Rules:

• As the title indicates, this is Sidious from the Phantom Menace
  • Plagueis is also as he was at the time of TPM.
  • Battle takes place inside an empty Jedi Temple after Order 68
  • Starting distance is 45 feet

Now then, let us begin.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkbart As per our agreement, you go first. Kicks things off bro :)

LuckyStrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Money's on Sidious

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JKBart

@wollfmyth209 I'll keep it short, as I prefer short openings to avoid huge textblocks in future responses, so I'll begin rather shortly. Generally, I fully believe Plagueis to be superior to Sidious by that timeline. Of course Sidious went on to surpass Plagueis greatly, but by TPM timeline, Plagueis is superior due to advantage in his Force power and mastery by that time, and what works towards his advantage, is also actually his status as the Sith Master.

Lightsaber mastery

Plagueis is usually rated very variously throughout these forums, I noticed. There’s a reason for it of course, as he is one of the few from RotE era that doesn’t share any common opponents with other Jedi/Sith of the era. As probably most of us know, he was considered a master combatant by Darth Tenebrous, but Tenebrous isn’t very reliable here as an obscure character, and accolades similiar to this one are simply fairly common, and just nothing special.

What actually supports Plagueis as a very skilled swordmaster is the fact that he emerged victorious in his duel against Venamis. Venamis, throughout the duel, was never the outright slower, weaker warrior, and they were seemingly physical equals. Venamis was trained in the exact same arts, and he was preasumably trained after Plagueis, in all of the arts that Plagueis mastered, and was simply more prepared for fighting Plagueis, as that was his task. Plagueis shown incredible adaptability to outplay his own style and adapt to different methods suitable for outdueling Venamis – largely his physical equal of the time and the one more prepared for the encounter.

The capabilities he displayed there are also key for this battle, as it will be a fight between two Sith that perfectly know each other, and share the same legacy of lightsaber arts. They were also presumably often training with each other, simply because there were only the two of them. It is a battle of two persons that share similiar combat styles, derive from the same lineage – while Plagueis has shown he can cope with such a setting perfectly.

The Force

This is the area in which Plagueis shines. While they’re both capable of monstrous telekinetical assaults, Plagueis has displayed telekinetical prowess in his fight against Maladian assassins, heavily wounded, with one of his hearts failing, providing a display of power rivaling everything replicated by Sidious in terrible circumstances and against more dangerous opposition that Sidious faced before. With the nature of Force’s flow and its connection to the life energy, and scale of Plagueis wounds, which I will be happy to explain precisely later, it shows Plagueis’s either largely superior power, or extreme mastery over his energy, and most probably – part of both of them. In terms of telekinesis and Lightning, Plagueis is simply better, and while Sidious exerted more impressive telepathical influence, when these two are one of the most powerful beings in history, with their sheer willpower, I find it unlikely that telepathical influence can come into play. Plagueis is superior in terms of Absorption, Deflection, and the whole mechanism of energy dissipation, which can be important here because of, well, lightsabers. Force Scream, mechanical energy influence, Midi-chlorian manipulation and such are generally out of the equation, albeit they represent their certain power and mastery and can serve very well for later comparisons.

My general idea is that Plagueis is inferior as a lightsaber combatant, but he can take more benefits from their common knowledge on each other’s capabilities than Sidious can, and he is also more powerful, with an inclination to actually use his power and mastery required to directly utilize the Force combatively. For now, I would support Plagueis for 6/10.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ShootingNova

Ah, not bad. Might change the mentality of some of the people here who seem to have a preference for Plagueis. Or it might just prove that mentality correct. This debate will rely on a lot of inference, but these are also two smart people so I expect it go along nicely.

Best of luck to you both.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

itzxsloth345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very cool battle, one I much look forward to. Tag for votes?

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WollfMyth209

@jkbart: Alright, you made the opener, now for me to counter.

No Caption Provided

Alright, first of all, it has been mentioned that by the time of Plagueis's death, Sidious had all the skills he needs to kill him then and there.

In truth, Palpatine was well versed in the ways of the Force, having been apprentice to Darth Plagueis the Wise, a Sith Lord who was a master of arcane and unnatural knowledge. In true Sith tradition, Palpatine murdered his Master upon receiving the skill and ability to do so.

Source: Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia

However, this might not exactly mean Palpatine has all the skill and ability he needs to beat Plagueis in a battle, just the skill and power to know how to kill him and when.

Combat/Dueling skill

Here is where Sidious has the advantage.

He had the ability of easily beating and brutalizing Darth Maul in a Lightsaber duel. And he used a training saber which isn't lethal, while Maul was using a lethal and real Lightsaber and Sidious didn't even need to try.

I take a step toward him. I know this is my final test. I summon up the dark side of the Force. I take all my pain and anger and form it into a tightly packed ball. I set that ball aflame in my chest. I feel a trickle of strength enter me. That encourages me. I use that strength to stoke the fire inside me.

"You cannot be as pathetic as you look," my Master says. He raises his lightsaber and attacks.

I parry the blow and reverse, come at him from the opposite side. But he is already gone by the time I am able to make my attack. The lunge throws off my balance. I weave, the cave walls blurring. He laughs.

"I take it back," he says. "You are that pathetic."

He tells me I am weak, not worthy of being a Sith Lord. He tells me he has misjudged me. I attempt to attack him. The ball of anger inside me turns to howling rage. It is painfully obvious that he is playing with me. He can kill me in a heartbeat. Yet something in me will not accept this, even from my Master. My life force won't allow it. I struggle on, even in the face of his laughter. He tells me that he has expected my failure. He saw my weaknesses long ago. Secretly, over the long years, he has trained another apprentice. I have not been alone.

I point out, gasping, that more than one apprentice is against the rules of the Sith.

"You are right," he says. "A spark of intelligence at last."

The second apprentice is on the other side of the planet. He conquered all the assassin droids sent after him. He did not sustain more than a flesh wound. He is healthy and strong.

"Unlike the pathetic weakling I see before me," my Master says.

I realize dully what this means. My opponents had not really been the droids. My opponent had been someone I had never seen. My enemy has been chosen by my Master. He will become a Sith Lord. He will receive the honor I was due. He will reap the glory I had punished my body and disciplined my mind in order to receive. A slow rage begins to burn through me. It is a terrible anger, no less fierce because it starts as a kernel of disbelief and then builds. I have never felt anything like it. I know it can consume me.

No. I can direct it. My rage will consume my enemy. It will consume my Master.

Yes, my Master is now my enemy. He is my betrayer. Hatred sears me, hardens me.

"Can you make the next leap in logic?" Lord Sidious asks me contemptuously. "Try to focus, Maul. If there can be only one apprentice, then one of you must die. Who do you think I have chosen to die. Maul?"

The rage rockets within me, pumping energy into my muscles. I can do anything. I can kill my Master. Iwant to kill him. My hatred is so huge it blots everything else but my desire for his blood.

With a howl torn from the depths of my belly, I spring at him. He barely misses the first blow from my lightsaber, for even in my rage I have employed strategy, coming at him from below, hoping to rip him in two. He parries my next blow. Sweat stings my eyes as I move across the rough cave floor. I do not stumble. I am nothing but the pulse of my anger, pure energy, pure darkness. I streak across the cave floor and come at him again, somersaulting through the air. My lightsaber whirls in the darkness. When he parries the blow, he staggers.

I am going to kill him. Every beat of my blood exults in my power. Every blow I deliver is meant to be the killing blow. I use reserves of strength I did not know I had. My blows are sure and precise, my footwork flawless. I gather in the power of the dark side. I feel my power clash with his. The air is thick, charged with our dark, titanic powers.

He parries every blow. But I see that he has to work hard to keep me at bay. Triumph roars through me at my Master's weakness. He is not as powerful as he appears.

"You want to kill me?" he taunts. "You want to kill your Master?"

"Yes," I grunt.

"You hate me?"

"Yes!" I scream out the word through gritted teeth.

But I have been weakened by my ordeal, and my Master maneuvers me against the cave wall. I am gasping, trying to suck in enough air to keep going. My vision blurs as Lord Sidious raises his lightsaber. I parry the blow, but my lightsaber suddenly flies out of my hand, torn by the power of my Master directing the dark side. I realize then that he has just begun to tap into his own reserves. Mine are played out.

I will not be able to deflect the next blow. It will rend me in two. In a blur of heat and pain I see the mighty power of my Master raised against me, see the lightsaber come toward me, see my death as clearly as a bone-white moon in an ebony sky.I lunge forward and sink my teeth into his hand. I strike like an animal, so quickly he doesn't have time to step away. I taste his blood and spit it back at him in contempt.

Yes, he will kill me. But I will die with his blood on my lips.

The lightsaber comes down. I wait for the pain and shock. I wait to die.

Source: Episode 1 Journal: Darth Maul

On the other hand, Plagueis has no such feats of skill. He has accolades from Tenebrous and the feat of holding off Darth Venamis, but I personally feel that TPM Sidious is superior to them both, and thus I feel he has the skill advantage.

Speed/Strength/Durability

Here is where I believe is a tie. I'm unsure of which one of these two is faster or stronger. Both have crushed bones with their strength, both moved immensely fast and they both have shown alot of durability, though I feel Sidious is superior in the category of durability.

For example, Sidious calls on the Force to inhance his durability to survive a pretty massive fall:

Following directions furnished by Pestage, Sidious rode turbolifts and pedestrian walkways to a meager balcony ten levels above the upper story of the residence. His fury notwithstanding, he would have preferred to linger until nightfall, which came early to that part of Coruscant, but he was certain that the Gran were expecting word that the Maladians had satisfied the terms of the contract, and he couldn’t risk having them flee for the stars before he got to them. So he lingered on the balcony until it and the walkway in both directions were unoccupied, then jumped from the overlook and called on the Force to deliver him safely to a narrow ledge that ran beneath the lowest floor of the residence.

Source: Darth Plagueis

So this would give Sidious the extremely slight physical advantage I should say.

Force power

Here is where I feel that they are perfectly equal. Plagueis has never been shown using Midi-chlorian manipulation in combat as far as I can remember. So Plagueis's best option against Sidious in terms of offensive Force powers is Lightning or TK. And Sidious matches Plagueis nicely in both of these categories.

Sidious even killed Plagueis via Lightning and then a Force Choke.

Crackling from his fingertips, a web of blue lightning ground itself on the Muun’s breathing device. Plagueis’s eyes snapped open, the Force gathering in him like a storm, but he stopped short of defending himself. This being who had survived assassinations and killed countless opponents merely gazed at Sidious, until it struck him that Plagueis was challenging him! Confident that he couldn’t be killed, and in denial that he was slowly suffocating, he might have been simply experimenting with himself, actually courting death to put it in its place. Momentarily taken aback, Sidious stood absolutely still. Was Plagueis so self-deluded as to believe that he had achieved immortality?

The question lingered for only a moment, then Sidious unleashed another tangle of lightning, drawing more deeply on the dark side than he ever had.
Sidious peered at Plagueis through the Force. "Oh, yes, by all means gather your midi-chlorians, Plagueis." He held his thumb and forefinger close together. "Try to keep yourself alive while I choke the life out of you."
Plagueis gulped for air and lifted an arm toward him.

“There’s the rub, you see,” Sidious said in a philosophical tone. “All the ones you experimented on, killed, and brought back to life... They were little more than toys. Now, though, you get to experience it from their side, and look what you discover: in a body that is being denied air, in which even the Force is failing, your own midi-chlorians can’t accomplish what you’re asking of them.”

Though to be fair, Plagueis had his guard down. But even if we take into account feats, Sidious has casually ragdolled Darth Maul, killed multiple Weequay, collapsed a ceiling, threw about large stones and boulders with ease and so on. This is, in my opinion, comparable or downright equal to Plagueis's own TK showings and I believe Plagueis is only superior in the area of Lightning, which Sidious can deflect with his Lightsaber.

So I feel that Plagueis and Sidious are equally as fast, strong and powerful in TK, Sidious is more skilled and more durable and can counter Plagueis's Lightning and counter with his own, which Plagueis can deflect with his own Lightsaber or Tutaminis. And while yes, Plagueis does have expirience over Sidious and also knowledge of his apprentice, so does Sidious of his master. Sidious has grown massively powerful over the course of his training under Plagueis and he has learned most of Plagueis's weaknesses and strengths and he also has the knowledge that Plagueis passed down to him.

So I'd personally say that TPM Sidious wins 6/10 in this battle.

Your move now.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkbart Are you still in this debate bro? I await your reply on my counter to your opener.

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209: Don't worry, I'm writing rather slowly, I have a busy weekend. Await my response tomorrow.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Vag for totes

DarthSamburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DarthSamburger

Tag meeeee

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209

Alright, first of all, it has been mentioned that by the time of Plagueis's death, Sidious had all the skills he needs to kill him then and there.

In truth, Palpatine was well versed in the ways of the Force, having been apprentice to Darth Plagueis the Wise, a Sith Lord who was a master of arcane and unnatural knowledge. In true Sith tradition, Palpatine murdered his Master upon receiving the skill and ability to do so.

Source: Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia

However, this might not exactly mean Palpatine has all the skill and ability he needs to beat Plagueis in a battle, just the skill and power to know how to kill him and when.

There are few things regarding this quote that actually support Plagueis could hypothetically still get the majority over Sidious. First of all, it mentions that Palpatine “murdered his Master upon receiving the skill and ability to do so” and that is absolutely true. Palpatine certainly has everything he needs to be able to kill Plagueis, but that doesn’t regard how high his chances actually were. It doesn’t mean he had better chances, only he had the possibility, and ability to kill Plagueis, which everyone can agree on seeing how close they actually are.

Second of all, it’s actually ironic that it mentions “true Sith tradition”, which rarely meant some actual contest. Plagueis murdered Tenebrous in a trap and later they “battled” on the plane of microscopic influence after Tenebrous was already dying, Sidious himself murdered Plagueis after drugging him and Plagueis actually didn’t try to defend himself at the beginning. It generally shows that Rule of Two doesn’t actually secure that the Sith Apprentice will be more powerful than the Master – of all the known examples, actually most of them had nothing to do with actual direct contest between them as Force wielders, and even not all of them were “contests of minds” (such as when Plagueis trapped Tenebrous). While Sith Apprentice certainly gains power at the murder of his master because of the simple fact that he begins to be the sole embodiment of the Force’s corruption (Dark Side), this quote is kinda... wrong. The actual tradition rarely was actually based on the apprentice killing the master on basis of his power by that point.

Lightsaber dueling

He had the ability of easily beating and brutalizing Darth Maul in a Lightsaber duel. And he used a training saber which isn't lethal, while Maul was using a lethal and real Lightsaber and Sidious didn't even need to try.

On the other hand, Plagueis has no such feats of skill. He has accolades from Tenebrous and the feat of holding off Darth Venamis, but I personally feel that TPM Sidious is superior to them both, and thus I feel he has the skill advantage.

The main difference is that Plagueis, fighting Venamis, was fighting someone who was his successor in training within the same arts under Tenebrous, and, as the one that initiated the challenge, was actually prepared to fight someone representing “his own school” – meaning he could actually prepare throughout unknown period of time to fight against someone like that. Plagueis could not.

That’s of course only one of the factors differentiating this fight. Venamis was equal to Plagueis physically, they both fought at inhuman speeds, and performed similiar feats throughout the whole combat. Yes, Plagueis eventually turned out to be faster, but only after a prolonged combat – before, they fought as equals. And Plagueis never held back there:

Worse for Plagueis, Tenebrous had made Venamis an expert in Plagueis’s style, and so the Bith could not only anticipate but counter Plagueis’s every move. In short order, Venamis penetrated his defenses, searing the side of Plagueis’s neck.

Realizing that the fight could go on indefinitely, he took himself out of his body and began working his material self like a marionette, no longer on the offensive, instigating attacks, but merely responding to Venamis’s lunges and strikes. Gradually the Bith understood that something had changed—that what up until then had been a fight to the death seemed suddenly like a training exercise. Exasperated, he doubled his efforts, fighting harder, more desperately, putting more power into each maneuver and blow, and in the end surrendering his precision and accuracy.

At the height of Venamis’s attack, Plagueis came back into himself with such fury that his lightsaber became a blinding rod. A two-handed upward swing launched from between his legs caught Venamis off guard.

This is hardly any form of holding back. Plagueis changed his way of fighting, his connection to the body, altered his methods – granted, for something better suited, for something that obviously allowed him to do better. Venamis also didn’t actually get better physically – he also changed his style because of that, surrendered some attributes of his swordplay to the other ones (precision and accuracy to power and desperation). Only after that Plagueis came out to be superior, but that doesn’t prove Venamis was physically inferior – skillfully, yes, definitely, as Plagueis adapted much better to that fight, but not physically. Therefore, it was contest of physical equals.

Sidious, going against Maul, had every physical advantage possible, and that’s why it doesn’t necessarily translate well into his skill. Now, of course Sidious is the better duelist than Maul, but that doesn’t show sheer skill, mental alacrity and such as much as when Plagueis outplayed Venamis. He had to rely solely on his skills and personal understanding.

Sidious, on the other hand, had displayed capacity to hold off Maul and Savage’s strength simultaneously later on, speed totally beyond Agen Kolar and Saesee Tiin’s perception, speed beyond Anakin’s clarity of perception, when Anakin has also displayed being faster than Obi-Wan Kenobi, who never shown any speed disparity in comparison to Maul within their encounters (and his individual feats actually tend to be better, but that’s another story). The amount of Force energy flowing through him and sustaining him is also obviously on an insanely another level when compared to Maul. Palpatine simply had every advantage possible besides the skill.

Of course, nothing supports that Plagueis would be superior to Maul in skill, and I myself doubt that. Showing against Venamis and Kursid warriors place him high, but they alone are not enough to safely put him in that tier.

What supports Plagueis here is that the Sith of his era train in an obviously strict lineage, within which they learn without outside interference. Basically, almost everything Maul has been trained in, derives from Sidious, and everything sidious learned up to TPM, derives from Plagueis’s teachings.

Plagueis, in his fight against Venamis, showed that he could perfectly adjust his style to fight against someone fully trained in the same exact arts, being on the receiving end of this relation, with Venamis prepared specifically for his skills. With that capability, and having his own student know everything from him, his adaptation to circumstances based around those familiarities should help him greatly.

Physical edges

Well, if you mean durability as strictly body’s physical resistance, then I agree, but in terms of general endurance Plagueis displaying ability to fight unarmed, displaying ability to crush skulls and windpipes after having 2 of his 3 hearts failing and losing a great amount of blood, shows incredibly higher endurance overall. Although every Force augmentation comes from the same way of Force conscious and subconscious channeling, here, in this area, Plagueis surpasses anything Sidious has done, actually.

Basically, he did what pre-TPM Sidious did to his family and their guards, but being multiple times weakened due to his critical wounds that would leave most people dead, and against better prepared opponents (that should be considered better by simple logic, as they were elite assassins, not regular bodyguards).

Of course, the Force allowed him to fight past these wounds, but he first needed more Force energy to just have it sustain his body. Obviously, if the body itself was two times weaker, the energy required was equally larger, etc.

So actually, while their speed is without a doubt comparable (with Sidious surpassing Maul so much, he certainly matches Plagueis’s speed displayed throughout the novel), in terms of sheer strength channeling and affinity for strictly physical body support, Plagueis could be better, if you look at what Plagueis fought through.

That is especially important with the whole Plagueis-Sidious relationship I mentioned and Muun’s adaptation, because, as seen in the quote, how Plagueis adapted was greatly based on energy conservation. Edge in that regard is therefore actually very important, as these two are so deeply connected seeing Venamis/Plagueis duel, that they could greatly affect the contest. Plagueis shown every capability to deal with someone of his own school, on the better side of the training etc. I mentioned. And against Sidious, he is not a student of the lineage, being trained specifically in one way throughout his whole life, having an opponent trained by the same person in exact countermeasures for his own training. Here he is the source of the knowledge – the same relationship, but now Plagueis completely on top. Their training together actually provides benefits for Plagueis, not Sidious.

There is more on the Force, but that’s 3 pages and 6 AM, so tomorrow :P I will also add the Maladians quote.

MErulezall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tag!

Baztet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow what an interesting debate, tag me I want to know more about these two people.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WollfMyth209

@jkbart:

Dueling Skill

While I would agree that Plagueis could adjust to Sidious and combat him, despite Sidious's superior skill, but that doesn't change Sidious's edge over Plagueis in raw skill and the fact that Sidious himself could adjust to battle fairly well and that Sidious is familiar with his master weaknesses and strengths aswell, namely his breath mask. The best example is when Sidious shot torrents of Force Lightning at Plagueis's breath mask before choking him out, because he knew that Plagueis's mask is a serious weakness, and I think that if Plagueis get's any advantage over Sidious, Sidious would use Plagueis's disadvantage to his gain.

So I'd still favor Sidious as a duelist considering his own ability to adjust and exploit weaknesses and superior raw skill.

Speed/Strength

I honestly don't see why Plagueis and Sidious are not equal in speed and strength. For one thing, Sidious and Plagueis have been shown in the exact same situation where they showed equal, or near equal, speed to each other.

An example of this is when both Plagueis and Sidious move as fast a herd of animals

In mad pursuit of their prey and all but taking flight, the two Sith, Master and apprentice for eleven years now, bounded across the grassy terrain, their short capes snapping behind them, vibroblades clenched in their hands and bare forearms flecked with gore; blood caked in the human's long hair and dried on the Muun's hairless brow. Twisting and swirling around them was a herd of agile, long-necked quadrupeds with brown-and-black fur; identical and moving as if possessed of a single mind, leaping at the same instant, reversing direction, cycloning gregariously over the short-napped savanna.

And another is example is when they both used their speed and skill to deflects rings of droids. While Sidious's own showing wasn't depicted, it was noted that Plagueis seemed to distract Sidious while he was doing this

When it came Sidious's turn to demonstrate his skill, Plagueis spoke continuously from behind him, adding distraction to the distinct possibility of inadvertent disintegration.

And both Sidious and Plagueis faired extremely well against the rings of droids.

And another thing that supports my claim that they are near equals in speed is that both have fought Kursid warriors without getting a single blow on them and incapacitated all of them with force pikes, while Plagueis killed the last one standing with his Lightsaber.

And your point that Plagueis is superior in unarmed combat, while understandable, isn't fully true in my eyes. While it is true that dismembering armored torso of highly skilled assassins rather than it is to crush your families bones and tear up the limbs of two bodyguards. But the Palpatine family was respected family and they should've had atleast semi-capable bodyguards. And this is Sidious before even having training. He wasn't even trained and he didn't even master his skills and yet he did so much to them.

Considering how it has been stated that Sidious became far more powerful by the time of TPM, I feel that it isn't far fetched to assume that Sidious is, by the time of TPM where he is almost ten times more powerful than he was at the state where he killed his family, on par with Plagueis in unarmed combat and strength. And Sidious should still have slightly superior durability.

So I'll still back TPM Sidious for a 6/10 majority.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tag me for votes.

DarthManhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tag for votes as well please! Very nicely done to both of you thus far. Specially considering the time period. Rock on!

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wollf taking on one of the big boys. Nice, tag for votes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bfd5d714c687
deactivated-5bfd5d714c687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems interesting. Tag fur votes!

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WollfMyth209

@jkbart We're still waiting for you.

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209: Whoops, my notifications still failing, with today receiving 99 (with wrong users attached... nevermind, might have been my fault for messing with the account).

Dueling skill part

While I would agree that Plagueis could adjust to Sidious and combat him, despite Sidious's superior skill, but that doesn't change Sidious's edge over Plagueis in raw skill and the fact that Sidious himself could adjust to battle fairly well and that Sidious is familiar with his master weaknesses and strengths aswell

There is one specific difference. As I mentioned, Plagueis was fighting someone who trained from the same source as him, but with inclusion of how Plagueis was trained from that source. So while they both know each other here, obviously very well, that's the surface of the fight where it is Plagueis who takes advantage. His ability to work around that aforementioned problem of facing pretty much an excellently designed tool against him speaks volumes about him. It is simply impossible to find a worse "tactic clashing" when you fight someone whose skills derive from the exact same source, but are also designed from the same source to hinder you. And as both Venamis and Plagueis demonstrated similiar physical traits during the fight, Plagueis's victory derived only from that adaptation. You can't get anything worse to outplay in a duel, when you're fighting a physical equal.

So, basically, Plagueis actually derived his victory there from his extremely negative position in terms of their knowledge on each other and preparation. Yet he still properly adapted, and against Sidious he is in a position almost as good as Venamis. This time Plagueis is the "source" I've been describing. Of course Sidious might have had his own training, his other sources, but there is a very slim possibility for that. In Rule of Two:

• You train directly from your Master and his own sources.
  • All your sources of knowledge are what your lineage have gathered and extended.
  • Even when the student is training somewhere else, he is usually sent there by his Master.
  • You pretty much don't have any external knowledge sources.

And Plagueis, first of all, was a scholar. He was studying everything, treasured knowledge, and his knowledge about the Force was immense. There is little to support that he wouldn't lay a hand on anything he and Sidious discovered, or on any of the prievous sources gathered by Banite lineage.

Plagueis has perhaps the most notable ability to actually capitalize on all those training "relationships" of all known Sith - I haven't seen anything similiar to his duel against Venamis in this regard. What I mean here is that Plagueis isn't more skillful than Sidious, and I would never suggest that, but he used terrible knowledge-combat style-preparation setup possible, and used it to prevail. In case against Sidious, this setup is the best he can get.

master weaknesses and strengths aswell, namely his breath mask.

I actually disagree with how often those elements are considered weaknesses. I would agree if they only required insignificant cuts to provide debilitating damage, and they sometimes do, but usually, like here - they don't. Breath mask, Vader's suit's panel - they're all installed in vital points of the body. If you suffer a hit around your throat, or around your jaw (just not the jaw itself) you're usually dead, mask or not. Even around the jaw there are so many veins and crucial parts of the skull's interior, deep cuts around there can be as deadly as if you're hit somewhere along your breath mechanisms. Basically, head and upper parts of the chest are the most protected areas in sword-fighting, and pretty much every art of fighting. If you can get hit around mask's cables on the throat, I don't see why you can't have your throat itself cut.

Additionally, the case can be made for someone's body being able to sustain heavier blunt damage than such mechanical parts, but here we're talking about lightsabers and Lightning mostly. And the mask Plagueis had was actually protected by armored parts.

Speed/Strength part

I honestly don't see why Plagueis and Sidious are not equal in speed and strength. For one thing, Sidious and Plagueis have been shown in the exact same situation where they showed equal, or near equal, speed to each other.

I never said that, I even put this: "So actually, while their speed is without a doubt comparable (with Sidious surpassing Maul so much, he certainly matches Plagueis’s speed displayed throughout the novel)". They are exactly equal, with their individual feats obviously displaying a similiar level, and often they are within the same situations as basically equals in terms of movement speed. I see the difference only in terms of their strength/endurance mix.

While it is true that dismembering armored torso of highly skilled assassins rather than it is to crush your families bones and tear up the limbs of two bodyguards. But the Palpatine family was respected family and they should've had atleast semi-capable bodyguards.

Maladians were elite warriors of high enough calliber to challenge Jedi Master and prevent him from saving senator's life - namely Ronhar Kim. So they're entirely different story, but that's only loosely supporting my argument.

He wasn't even trained and he didn't even master his skills and yet he did so much to them.

He doesn't need to. In fact, his best strength feat overall would be stalling Maul and Savage in physical lock, and in fact it was the only time he was strained in their contest. It is that impressive because of Maul and Savage's personal capabilities, but that is also RotS Palpatine, who should be stronger in the Force (and by extension, in such an augmentation), and that barely compares to Plagueis being able to smash armors and skulls in the state he woke up. Plagueis suffered damage that would left any normal being unable to fight at any cost - pretty much any body would be rendered useless in that state. We don't know how much is a "great deal of blood", but any heart damage together with that would make even extremely healthy people succumb to unconsciousness. We're taking about inhumanely powerful Sith of course, but that means he had to rely on the Force extremely to just sustain his body, and while focused on simply enabling his body to work, where it obviously shouldn't, he performed such enormous feats of strength as destroying armors and skulls. That enormous amplification allowing him to simply use his body was joined together with enabling it to perform such feats simultaneously, so with divided attention, what works for the Force channeling terribly, as it relies on sheer willpower and focus (where both are divided). When you tie it together - that is something Sidious never replicated. Even crushing doors can't compare here, if you include the magnitude of Force support needed for Plagueis to just use his body.

Just for the clarity, I will put the quote here, but it seems unnecessary as we both know it.

Having run himself through a similar test, Plagueis knew that he had lost a great deal of blood, and that one of his subsidiary hearts was in fibrillation. Sith techniques had helped him perform chemical cardioversions on his other two hearts, but one of them was working so hard to compensate that it, too, was in danger of becoming arrhythmic.

The wait lasted only until Plagueis attempted to unleash lightning. His second subsidiary heart failed, paralyzing him with pain and nearly plunging him into unconsciousness. The assassins wasted not a moment, throwing themselves at him in groups, though in a vain attempt to penetrate the Force shield he raised. Again he rallied, this time with a ragged sound dredged from deep inside that erupted from him like a sonic weapon, shattering the eardrums of those within ten meters and compelling the rest to bring their hands to their ears.

In blinding motion his hands and feet smashed skulls and windpipes. He stopped once to conjure a Force wave that all but atomized the bodies of six Maladians. He spun through a turn, dragging the wave halfway around the room to kill half a dozen more.

Force Powers part

Here is where I actually believe Plagueis to be superior. Plagueis has been stated to "atomize" Maladians, and while I personally believe it to be rather hyperbolic (although it seems I'm in minority actually), the damage he has done to them would obviously need to be insane. And, as before, he has done that when huge reserves of Force were needed to sustain his body, which was also utilized to its maximum. If what Sidious himself said was correct, he could easily collapse a restaurant if he wanted to, but that doesn't match shattering force of destroying human's armored body, as destroying a building actually requires more of precision and targeting proper spots. Sidious never replicated any similiar telekinetical feats by this time. Plagueis should be superior here.

Of course Force power comes into play variously. As we know by now, to even think about actually fighting with the Force alone and having it directly affect the fight you need to be enormously powerful, as even small 1% margin of Jedi simply can't direct such a power to make it viable within physical contest. Basically, two options. First - both combatants have to be on such an insanely high level to exert power on that scale throughout the regular fight. Suffice to say, both individuals' can be so powerful that they can use the Force regularly within their contest. There can be a slim advantage of one over another, but it's still viable. Second option - just you have to possess such a huge advantage that your powers can affect your opponent to large enough extent. Of course, Plagueis and Sidious belong to the first "category" (like Yoda vs. Sidious).

What pretty much seals it is the fact that Plagueis has also displayed enough mastery to use the Force during regular lightsaber combat. He mixes the two frequently, while Sidious actually resorted to primarily lightsaber dueling against all of his opponents, unless eventually separated (and, implied by the script, disarmed) from Yoda. Plagueis, on the other hand, utilized lightsaber throw, destroyed a tree with the Force in mid of his heated duel against Venamis.

Spying Blir’ and Semasalli, the Muun hurled the lightsaber in a spinning arc that took off the Balosar’s antenepalps and scalp and most of the wrinkled Dresselian’s left shoulder, misting the already agitated air with teal-colored blood. As alarms continued to wail and foam continued to gush, Blir’ folded and fell face-first to the slickened deck, while Semasalli, screeching in pain, collapsed to one side, reaching futilely for his severed arm with the other.

At one point he leapt onto an overhanging greel branch and, when Plagueis severed it with a Force blow, hung suspended in the air—no mean feat in itself—and continued the fight, as if from high ground.

He also brought down the ceiling so fast that Tenebrous (whose speed we both know, too) couldn't react - that's somewhat worth mentioning.

A few meters away Plagueis, hurled face-first to the ground by the intensity of the vaporizing blast, lifted his head in time to see the underside of the domed ceiling begin to shed enormous slabs of rock. Directly below the plummeting slabs sat their starship.

“Master!” he said, scrambling to his feet with arms lifted in an attempt to hold the rocks in midair.

His own arms still raised in a Force-summoning posture, Tenebrous swung around to bolster Plagueis’s intent. Behind him, the fireball’s final flames surged from the mouth of the tunnel to lick his back and drive him deeper into the grotto.

The cave continued to spasm underfoot, sending shock waves through the crazed ceiling. Cracks spread like a web from the oculus, triggering collapses throughout the grotto. Plagueis heard a rending sound overhead and watched a fissure zigzag its way across the ceiling, sloughing layer after layer of stone as it followed the grotto’s curved wall. Now, though, it was Tenebrous who was positioned beneath the fall.

And in that instant Plagueis perceived the danger Tenebrous had foreseen earlier: his death.

His death at Plagueis’s hands.

While Tenebrous was preoccupied holding aloft the slabs that threatened to crush the ship, Plagueis quickly reoriented himself, aiming his raised hands at the plummeting slabs above his Master and, with a downward motion of both arms, brought them down so quickly and with so much momentum that Tenebrous was buried almost before he understood what had hit him.

So, to sum it up. Plagueis doesn't stand a chance in a strict lightsaber duel - but his perfect ability to adapt, to utilize his knowledge, and to use "knowledge-combat style-preparation" combination to his advantage even in the worst situation, when faced against Sidious, provides him with large chances. He can't win via sheer lightsaber dueling, of course, but their knowledge on each other, and Plagueis's capability to actually use his opponent's knowledge and preparation against him closes the gap, and allows Plagueis to use his superior telekinetic powers. He also manages his energy channeling better, has seemingly better reserves for physical augmentation, and actually the energy management was what he used against Venamis in his way of adapting to his superior knowledge/preparation/tactical setting. Here, he also seems to be better in that physical area, which has proven crucial in similar situation before. And he is on the setting almost as good as Venamis was in the relation between two combatants - or at least in between, and he could use that relation when it was the worst possible. That's why I support Plagueis for 6/10.

And there are things Sidious could achieve that Plagueis wouldn't, or would fare worse in. But here, that physical edge, that relation, and Plagueis's adaptivity are what puts him on top. He is just better suited against Sidious, not necessarily better overall. You could say the same about Savage Opress - he isn't far behind Obi-Wan, but their skillsets and traits connect terribly against Savage, for instance. It's a similiar instance here.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WollfMyth209

@jkbart: Well ComicVine deleted my original reply. Now I have to write that whole reply again.

Loading Video...

So, let me write a summary of why I still think TPM Sidious wins a majority.

Physicalities:

They are perfectly equals, or near equals, in every physical category(speed, strength, durability). And it is true that Plagueis's feat against the assassins is superior to Sidious's against his family, but Sidious did this decades before TPM, so he should be capable of replicating Plagueis's feat against the assassins by the time of TPM. It is true that Plagueis being injured makes the feat even more impressive, but Sidious's durability should be on par, if not superior(he survived falling off a building, surviving crawling through a tundra while not having food or drink for weaks and having burns from Plagueis's Lightsaber), to Plagueis's, so I'm still unsure why Sidious couldn't replicate that feat of Plagueis against the assassins.

Combat/Dueling skill:

I fully agree that Plagueis is more adaptable and him being the "source" of Sidious's knowledge would give him the advantage, but this advantage is marginal in my opinion. Remember the first quote I presented, it says that Sidious had all the skills and abilities he needed and killed Plagueis and Sidious killed Plagueis after the Muun Sith served his purpose. That means that Sidious killed Plagueis when he learned everything he needed from him, so that means their knowledge should at least be on par with one another, so Plagueis's only advantage in this category is adjustability, and that isn't enough to fill in the gap between their respective skills.

Force power:

Plagueis's combat applicable powers are only marginally more powerful than TPM Sidious's. I'd place them as on par in TK, or nearly on par. It is true that Plagueis used TK to tear apart assassins, collapses a cave, uses a saber throw amongst other things. But Sidious used it to casually ragdoll Darth Maul, threw large rocks with ease, collapsed ceilings, killed a dozen Weequay soldiers(the last feat is especially impressive, considering how Weequay's are noted for their durability).

In keeping with their rough appearence, Weequay have a unique resilience to injury.

Source: The New Essential guide to alien species

And I would agree that Plagueis can use the Force mid-combat better than Sidious, but Sidious's own ability to use the Force in mid-combat should not be underestimated and as soon as Sidious sees Plagueis is starting to gain the advantage via his power, Sidious would use his own power in combat and that combined with his superior skill, equal knowledge and physicalities and comparable power would allow Sidious to seize a 6/10 majority still.

Well I'm ready to tag people for votes, if you are that is.

LamLam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tag me for this.

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollfmyth209: Perhaps my one final remarks and short summaries on your own points. :)

And it is true that Plagueis's feat against the assassins is superior to Sidious's against his family, but Sidious did this decades before TPM, so he should be capable of replicating Plagueis's feat against the assassins by the time of TPM.

I addressed that notion before, here:

He doesn't need to. In fact, his best strength feat overall would be stalling Maul and Savage in physical lock, and in fact it was the only time he was strained in their contest. It is that impressive because of Maul and Savage's personal capabilities, but that is also RotS Palpatine, who should be stronger in the Force (and by extension, in such an augmentation), and that barely compares to Plagueis being able to smash armors and skulls in the state he woke up.

Remember the first quote I presented, it says that Sidious had all the skills and abilities he needed and killed Plagueis and Sidious killed Plagueis after the Muun Sith served his purpose. That means that Sidious killed Plagueis when he learned everything he needed from him, so that means their knowledge should at least be on par with one another, so Plagueis's only advantage in this category is adjustability, and that isn't enough to fill in the gap between their respective skills.

Yes, they have the same knowledge, but Plagueis shown how perfectly he can use all those knowledge-sources-preparation combinations to his advantage when they should be disastrous for him. Here those setups are favoring Plagueis. I don't think their knowledge is any different, yep.

It is true that Plagueis being injured makes the feat even more impressive, but Sidious's durability should be on par, if not superior(he survived falling off a building, surviving crawling through a tundra while not having food or drink for weaks and having burns from Plagueis's Lightsaber)

Sheer durability and physical resistance is a different thing than your ability to fight through wounds that already happened. Basically, Sidious is better in mitigating damage, resisting it and minimizing. What Plagueis shown is his ability to endure this damage, and that Maladian feat was strictly physical, with utilization of physical body, which was heavily damaged, so the actual empowering Force flow simply had to make up for the "tool" being shattered. Yes, Sidious is definitely more durable, but that has less value in fight with lightsabers, while Plagueis, for me at least, shown better flow within direct strength empowering and managing Force reserves - and managing them has proven crucial for his whole "adaptation" described before, so advantage within them is even more crucial here.

I think that will be all from me for now. :)

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkbart:

Just a few things:
1. Sidious wasn't that strained when he stalemated Maul and Savage Opress in their first blade lock. Heck, he even laughed at them and was shown having little difficulty in matching and outmatching their physical blows, and I already adressed why Sidious could possibly replicate the Maladian feat.
2. I will concede that Plagueis can use his knowledge better, simply because of his greater expirience. But, like I said, Sidious's own power and knowledge makes Plagueis's advantage marginal.
3. Sidious did indure damage and still leaped at Plagueis with great speed when he wasn't even trained, and he did this after being burned by Plagueis's Lightsaber, going days without food or water and crawling through a tundra.
4. The adaption advantage is still somewhat marginal and minimal IMO, especially considering Sidious's own knowledge, skill, power, physical prowess which either surpasses or rivals Plagueis and this adaptability and expirience advantage can only go so far.
5. I'll still support Sidious for a 6/10 majority for the simple reason that Plagueis's advantages are minimal and marginal, while Sidious has to advantages that are either clear, or bigger than the advantages Plagueis holds over him. And since adaptability can only compinsate for so much and knowledge is mostly irrelevant.

That'll be it for me, so should I tag people for votes now?

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JKBart

@wollfmyth209: Yeah, I think so. I would be only repeating myself now :)

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JKBart

@wollfmyth209: Aye, you did nice job! Always fun to dwelve into such topics and practice some English on the way. :D

itzxsloth345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vote goes to JK. Great debate you two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkbart said:

practice some English on the way. :D

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? You speak better English than some who have it as a first language, man.

Anyway, I'll give this a thorough re-read and then cast my vote.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkbart said:

@wollfmyth209: Aye, you did nice job! Always fun to dwelve into such topics and practice some English on the way. :D

Thanks, you also did a great job. And it is really fun. :)

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: And still my primary reason for signing up here was to practice it after 3 years of my skills degrading because of sucking lessons at university. :P

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vote goes to JK.

Well ComicVine deleted my original reply. Now I have to write that whole reply again.

Use the back page button of your web browser next time. It happened to me too.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erkan12 said:

Use the back page button of your web browser next time. It happened to me too.

Thanks for the advice :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5bfd5d714c687
deactivated-5bfd5d714c687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vote goes to JK.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'll have to read this over but it looks great.

MErulezall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MErulezall

I'll have to read this over but it looks great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54
deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"While Sith Apprentice certainly gains power at the murder of his master because of the simple fact that he begins to be the sole embodiment of the Force’s corruption (Dark Side)," is this true? Is the force a finite supply of power that is split among its users?

Baztet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@martinceld said:

"While Sith Apprentice certainly gains power at the murder of his master because of the simple fact that he begins to be the sole embodiment of the Force’s corruption (Dark Side)," is this true? Is the force a finite supply of power that is split among its users?

Yeah, pretty much. Which is why the Sith Brotherhood was slaughtered in place of the Rule of Two. The power spread between the Sith was diluted, whereas if there were only two, in theory, they have far more power available for them to draw on.

Not sure if this was literally intended to be a means of dividing up power, or just a philosophical outlook on how training in the Force should be conducted. I don't think the former makes sense - if Sidious was the embodiment of the Dark Side by Revenge of the Sith, then how was Yoda, who lived among 10,000+ other Jedi, able to match him? Mind you it was after Order 66 that they fought..... eh, I dunno.

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@martinceld: @i_like_swords:

It's not something I necesarilly agree on, but that would actually make sense if you consider Dark Side of the Force just a taint, a corruption at its heart, whereas the Light Side is just the Force. Actually none of the movies ever mention the "Light Side", and it was Lucas's concept that there is just the Force and its taint. So the Jedi basically have access to the Force as it is, the pure energy, while Sith rely on the darkness and corruption at its heart, which is somewhat limited.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkbart: That's true actually. It's kind of weird, though. There are several groups who view balance differently.

Some believe that perfect balance in the Force means being able to draw on both sides of it - the "Light side"/balance, and the dark side. Which makes sense, but then, you could also argue that the dark side is just another facet of the Force and that it has it's place among the balance like everything else, opposed to being a different entity entirely.

Then there's the view that there are two distinctions - the light, and the dark. The light side being balance, and the Force itself, whereas the dark side is as you said, it's taint.

I'm quite puzzled by it personally.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54
deactivated-5e385ee5c8c54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@martinceld said:

Yeah, pretty much. Which is why the Sith Brotherhood was slaughtered in place of the Rule of Two. The power spread between the Sith was diluted, whereas if there were only two, in theory, they have far more power available for them to draw on.

Not sure if this was literally intended to be a means of dividing up power, or just a philosophical outlook on how training in the Force should be conducted. I don't think the former makes sense - if Sidious was the embodiment of the Dark Side by Revenge of the Sith, then how was Yoda, who lived among 10,000+ other Jedi, able to match him? Mind you it was after Order 66 that they fought..... eh, I dunno.

@jkbart said:

@martinceld: @i_like_swords:

It's not something I necesarilly agree on, but that would actually make sense if you consider Dark Side of the Force just a taint, a corruption at its heart, whereas the Light Side is just the Force. Actually none of the movies ever mention the "Light Side", and it was Lucas's concept that there is just the Force and its taint. So the Jedi basically have access to the Force as it is, the pure energy, while Sith rely on the darkness and corruption at its heart, which is somewhat limited.

hmm interesting. well thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. This kinda puts my mind at ease as to why the jedi are so weak and such fodder to the few dark side people even if they have only had such short amounts of training under the sith (im looking at you ventress and savage!)

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: I have much to say about it, I've been naturally dwelving into this topic much because of 6 years of training in the Force in roleplaying... but that would be offtopic. Make a thread in Offtopic/General Discussion maybe? :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, here's my analysis.

Dueling/Lightsaber Skill

The main points presented here from each party were:

• Plagueis's ability to adapt to the fighting style of an opponent who was trained in the same arts as himself, allowing him to take an edge in a fight that otherwise end as a stalemate or defeat
  • Palpatine's advantage in raw lightsaber, and his equal knowledge of the lightsaber to his master

I believe inherently Bart was in a tougher spot, here, because we barely have any content on Plagueis as far as his standing as a duelist is in relation to most established characters, including Sidious. So he had to forfeit that Sidious was the more skilled duelist. However, what he did extremely well was highlighting Plagueis's ability to adapt, which was fortunately very relevant due to Sidious being trained in more or less identical lightsaber arts to himself. This was actually something I had never considered before when thinking about this fight, and was a great point of debate for Bart's side. From reading, Wollf didn't refute this point and basically conceded that Plagueis is in fact the more adaptable fighter and that this is a noteworthy advantage. He did state that Sidious has equal form knowledge to Plagueis, marginalizing the advantage, and primarily pushed the point that Sidious is the more skilled fighter, and that this is the more important edge.

The issue for me was that he didn't explain why as much as I'd of liked him to. It's all well and good that Sidious is more skilled, but how does that give him a distinct edge over Plagueis aside from in the most basic sense? Bart thoroughly described Plagueis's adaptability, and managed to transfer the Venamis showing over to a fight with Sidious extremely well, in such a way that this usually overlooked edge ended up becoming very relevant and important to my analysis.

What would have been good for Wollf is if he made more of an effort refuting this point specifically. He could have made a solid defence for Palpatine in regards to his emotional control, and his own capacity to manipulate emotions (which was Venamis's shortcoming in the end). If he had brought up some relevant excerpts of Palpatine managing to control his emotions in order to make the correct decisions in-the-moment, it would have seriously hurt Bart's case on the dueling front.

What's worth noting is that Wollf pointed out that Sidious targeted Plagueis's breath mask as a means of evidence for Sidious also being tactically adept. This wasn't the most compelling piece of evidence for tactical skill and didn't refute what Bart said, however, Bart probably should have made a point of it to counter the tactical application of this evidence, since a big part of his argument was Plagueis's tactical mindset. He probably could have argued that Palpatine didn't targets Plagueis's mask but rather just shot him with lightning and damaged the mask in the process, which isn't necessarily a tactical showing. I can't remember if Sidious did target the mask in the novel or not, but you get my point - defending the tactical side of the debate was a must for Bart. Slight slip up, but nothing major. What was good was how Bart pointed out that even if Plagueis's mask was hurt in the process of this fight, it wouldn't matter too much because when certain areas of the head and neck are cut through, it'll be causing massive damage anyway, making the mask less of a disadvantage than one would initially presume.

As it is, what we have is one fighter who has the skill advantage, while the other has a greater tactical mind and ability to manage energy distribution. In terms of who presented a more stellar debate in this section, I would give the edge to Bart, due to his ability to work with what little he had and really make a compelling case for his character on one of their weakest fronts. However, Wollf successfully pointed out why Sidious's skill advantage is at least as important as Plagueis's adaptability. So based on the points presented, I can't give an edge either way. Bart made the more compelling case while Wollf had more compelling evidence at the root of his argument.

Physicality

This is where a slight edge will be given. A lot of the discussion here was Bart and Wollf trying to find some common ground, and they ended up agreeing that the Sith are more or less equals in terms of strength and speed. Based on arguments and evidence presented, this is plausible. Where they differed was that Bart made a very compelling case for Plagueis's ability to endure terrible injuries and continue to perform incredible physical feats. Wollf attempted to make the counter-argument that while Plagueis was in a worse state than Palpatine when performing their relatively equal strength feats, Palpatine was nowhere near his prime. However, Bart quickly shot that argument down by making a point of it that losing two out of three hearts and a great deal of your blood, and having to distribute Force energy to counter-act said injuries instead of placing it all into augmentation, is a worse circumstance to be in than simply being years from your prime. Plagueis really should have been dead, or at the very least unconscious, when in actuality he was performing feats of strength that rival anything Palpatine has done, even after TPM, close to RotS, where Palpatine was actually better than his TPM counterpart (referring to his straining while holding off Maul and Savage at the same time).

Bart made note that whether Plagueis would be stronger without his injuries, and would have more energy to distribute to augmentation in general than when he was injured, or, is simply better than Sidious at enduring terrible injuries and continuing to perform, Plagueis has a distinct edge over Palpatine in physicality because of the case made here. He'll be taking more damage and continuing to perform, and what was also nice is how this ties in with the general theme presented about energy conservation and management, which at this point it is clear that Plagueis is the superior.

At this point, Plagueis's ability to conserve and distribute his energy tactically, and fight through awful circumstances, is greater than Palpatine's noticeably. Edge: Bart.

Force

This is a pretty simple area to conclude. Both parties proved and agreed that Plagueis is slightly more powerful as a Force user, and slightly more combat viable with his telekinesis and lightning. Even by comparing their Force showings in a list format, as was done, it's plainly obvious that Plagueis is a little bit more powerful at this stage in time.

The edge is quite minute, but for what it's worth, Plagueis is the superior Force User in this fight (which will no doubt be very physical in the end). Edge: Bart.

Overall

Great debate from both parties. I applaud the amount of effort you both put into this. However, in my mind, the winner is clear. Bart gets my vote, particularly because of his points on physicality, the agreement on Plagueis being the better Force user, and his excellent job of mitigating Sidious's advantage as a duelist. My criticism would be that Wollf just needed to press Bart a lot more on his points, and try not to concede to anything too quickly, and also, should work on being more creative. Like I said, countering Plagueis's adaptability argument with points about Sidious's own emotional control would have crippled Bart, and some heavier offence on the front of physicality and the Force would have served you well.

For example, you could have made it a point to say that in a lightsaber duel, Plagueis's endurance doesn't matter much due to the likelihood of what injuries will occur in a lightsaber duel, i.e dismemberment, severe organ damage, and so. Such injuries can kill instantly, or at the very least injure someone enough to tilt the fight in one direction. By making the point above, in combination with some points about Palpatine's emotional control, you very well could have taken this debate. Making Bart sweat on the Force front would have sealed the deal, as well, although that section was very minor overall.

I hope you guys do more of this. It was a great read, and I'd love to debate either of you one day myself.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WollfMyth209

@i_like_swords: I just read your analysis and I'm glad you enjoyed the debate. Having a high name like yourself give me(and Bart) a compliment is flattering, even if I didn't win lol. I honestly never expected to win, but there's still hope if the other people I tagged vote for me. And I would one day like to have a debate with you.

JKBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JKBart