#1 Posted by (((Prodigy))) (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

Both have basic knowledge of the other's powers/abilities 
Morals are on 
Gambit has a bo staff and two decks of cards. Assume Toph can not metalbend Gambit's staff or his lower-leg armor. 
Toph can not open up the ground to swallow Gambit, encase him in a giant earth cocoon, or use any other tactics that people like to mention in debates despite the fact that she never even used said tactics in the show. 
Win by KO or death. No incapacitation or BFR. 
They start 50 yards apart in the middle of this construction site, within view of each other 

#2 Posted by RoyalDivinity (3172 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly have no idea. I'll think about this a little.

#3 Posted by rpgr (331 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambit. His ability to charge all inanimate objects make his power set tailored to take down Toph, even if you gave her metal bending and everything else..

#4 Edited by God_Spawn (37587 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd have to give Gambit the majority for this. I'll just do the response now.

Seeing as how the area is rather large and there are plenty of objects for Gambit to use cover or leap upon to employ his agility, I see Toph as having a bit of trouble tagging him since you limited her best options of attack for someone of his speed and agility (even though she hasn't used them in the show). With basic knowledge, I see this also coming into play with Gambit constantly leaping around which could mess with Toph's ground detection sonar. I think between Gambit's ability to dodge and keep on the move and the cover he would eventually tag Toph. He doesn't need a whole lot of power to KO her. Now on Toph's side, I see her making it troublesome for Gambit. Knowing Gambit's powers, I would see her making walls of stone herself or maybe even a cocoon or armor for herself. It maybe protect her initially as I don't see Gambit using the necessary force at first since she is a 12-13 year old girl and that could play against Gambit's character. Eventually Gambit should be able to get through her defenses and on the note of that, the explosions IMO could be sending rock shards inward like shrapnel which could also be damaging to Toph herself or depending on the severity, leave an opening for Gambit to finish the fight.

Moderator Online
#5 Posted by pooty (11011 posts) - - Show Bio

Toph wins if they start on the ground

#6 Posted by SC (12914 posts) - - Show Bio

To me battle is contingent on whether Gambit knows Toph is blind and uses the Earth to see. If he is, then he just needs to confuse her and get to a vantage point where she won't be able to see or sense him, if he doesn't then Toph's powers work and move faster than his and she has more ammo so to speak.  

#7 Posted by pooty (11011 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC: Very true. if he knows she is blind that can win it for him

@(((Prodigy))): you say they know each others powers and abilities. being blind is a weakness. does Gambit know that she is dependent on earth vibrations?

#8 Posted by FourthDeity (2234 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambit wins this quite comfortably.

#9 Posted by (((Prodigy))) (2443 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC:  
@pooty:  

Let's say that Gambit is aware she can use her powers to sense her opponent's exact location, but isn't aware that she is blind.
#10 Posted by pooty (11011 posts) - - Show Bio

@(((Prodigy))): gambit wins. the sneaky SOB will throw a card across the area and cause something to explode and take advantage of the distraction to beat Toph. i'd say gambit 7/10

#11 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10252 posts) - - Show Bio

With the OP's limitiations to her bending, I think Gambit would take a majority as well.

#12 Posted by God_Spawn (37587 posts) - - Show Bio

Ze bump?

Moderator Online
#13 Posted by Sherlock (7252 posts) - - Show Bio

Even without knowing she is blind id give this to Gambit.Due mostly to the fact that he has projectile attacks that Toph wouldnt see coming

#14 Posted by ThinkingCape (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambit is agile and can explode anything Toph sends at him. I figure Gambit running around until he figure out she is blind when he is in the air and then getting the drop on her. It wont be easy but it is a win.

#15 Posted by JediWaffles (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sherlock said:

Even without knowing she is blind id give this to Gambit.Due mostly to the fact that he has projectile attacks that Toph wouldnt see coming

Great point, Toph won't see projectiles coming her way. Yeah i'd give this to Gambit as well.

#16 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambit i guess.

Tough fight

#17 Posted by IfDCRuledTheWorld (653 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say 50/50. It's close. Gambit's agility won't be a big deal IMO. She faced Ty Lee, who is by far the most agile character on Avatar, and held her own. She only got taken out from Ty Lee after she had given up. As far as projectiles go...she's dealt with them before. She's defended herself against Earthbenders, Firebenders, as well as Mai and her shurikens. The only advantage Gambit has is that his projectiles explode upon impact. If she can adjust to that she can win. If Gambit stays on the ground for too long , Toph can win this. She can just encase his feet to ground, similar to the way she did against Ty Lee, and drop a boulder on him. Yes, she has encased a few people before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Ko7VusR04&feature=related

#18 Posted by joewell (6290 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Toph would win

She can stop Mai's projectiles

He can't explode a huge rock wall if its still in the ground ( can he? )

#19 Edited by YoungJustice (6748 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambit stomps.

#20 Posted by joewell (6290 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice said:

Gambit stomps.

How

#21 Posted by YoungJustice (6748 posts) - - Show Bio

@joewell said:

@YoungJustice said:

Gambit stomps.

How

Toph is blind when in the sand, then its not guaranteed that she will be able to manipulate any of the surrounding materials either, since none are rock.

#22 Posted by joewell (6290 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice said:

@joewell said:

@YoungJustice said:

Gambit stomps.

How

Toph is blind when in the sand, then its not guaranteed that she will be able to manipulate any of the surrounding materials either, since none are rock.

Thats Rock

just has alot of dust on top

#23 Posted by YoungJustice (6748 posts) - - Show Bio

@joewell said:

@YoungJustice said:

@joewell said:

@YoungJustice said:

Gambit stomps.

How

Thats Rock

just has alot of dust on top

No its not.....

Even if it was, it would be concrete under it. Which still doesnt guarantee she will be able to manipulate it.

#24 Posted by joewell (6290 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice:

Why would there be concreat under the whole construction site?

Is that the only reason you think he'd win ( yeah I'm challenging you )

#25 Posted by YoungJustice (6748 posts) - - Show Bio

@joewell said:

@YoungJustice:

Because that is how construction sites work, matter of fact, that is how roads, sidewalks, pavement, etc. works.

You also can see it.

Nope.

Gambit has the reflexes and agility to dodge all and any of Toph's attacks.

He has the stealth (being a thief and all) to sneak up on Toph.

The power to (in a literal meaning) to blow her up.

#26 Posted by YoungJustice (6748 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice said:

@joewell said:

@YoungJustice:

Because that is how construction sites work, matter of fact, that is how roads, sidewalks, pavement, etc. works.

You also can see it.

Nope.

Gambit has the reflexes and agility to dodge all and any of Toph's attacks.

He has the stealth (being a thief and all) to sneak up on Toph.

The power to (in a literal meaning) to blow her up.

You know, if it came to that.

Which it might.

#27 Posted by joewell (6290 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice: Ok fine, but let say for the sake of the battle its rock

You can't sneak up on some one who can see all around them

She can stop the projectiles

and he'll hasatate to attack, she won't

#28 Posted by YoungJustice (6748 posts) - - Show Bio

@joewell said:

@YoungJustice: Ok fine, but let say for the sake of the battle its rock

You can't sneak up on some one who can see all around them

She can stop the projectiles

and he'll hasatate to attack, she won't

She cant see above her (Gambit will most likely use the environment to his advantage), or projectiles in the air.

Not after she throws a rock or 2 at him.

Gambit may be a ladies man, but he isnt stupid.

#29 Posted by joewell (6290 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice:

Yeah she can, you can jump with out making any sound at all, i mean she could here ants cralwing on the ground from 25 feet away

she can hit them out the sky

well......

Oh and she can sand bend now

#30 Posted by YoungJustice (6748 posts) - - Show Bio

@joewell said:

@YoungJustice:

Yeah she can, you can jump with out making any sound at all, i mean she could here ants crawling on the ground from 25 feet away

well......

Im sorry, but as yoda would say

"No sense, that makes"

Yes, but does she have the feats to suggest she can see at projectile (A very small and thin projectile might I add) in the air in time for her to react.

I want to see scans, because I have seen every single Avatar episode twice, and Toph never sand bended, just metal bended.

The only time this could have been possible is in The Promise, in which I dont think Toph would have had the time to make a new technique, so you need to provide scans.

If you dont have them, provide an issue number, or the source you got this from.

Until then, it is irrelevant to me.

#31 Posted by God_Spawn (37587 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

I'd have to give Gambit the majority for this.

Moderator Online
#32 Posted by (((Prodigy))) (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice said:

@joewell said:

@YoungJustice:

Yeah she can, you can jump with out making any sound at all, i mean she could here ants crawling on the ground from 25 feet away

well......

Im sorry, but as yoda would say

"No sense, that makes"

Yes, but does she have the feats to suggest she can see at projectile (A very small and thin projectile might I add) in the air in time for her to react.

I want to see scans, because I have seen every single Avatar episode twice, and Toph never sand bended, just metal bended.

The only time this could have been possible is in The Promise, in which I dont think Toph would have had the time to make a new technique, so you need to provide scans.

If you dont have them, provide an issue number, or the source you got this from.

Until then, it is irrelevant to me.

Sozin's Comet Pt 1: The Phoenix King.

Toph sandbends a miniature replica of Ba Sing Se.

#33 Posted by YoungJustice (6748 posts) - - Show Bio

Really? How in the world did that get by me. Anyway, it doesn't matter much. Since Toph still doesn't have the reaction or speed feats to win this.

#34 Posted by (((Prodigy))) (2443 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice said:

Really? How in the world did that get by me. Anyway, it doesn't matter much. Since Toph still doesn't have the reaction or speed feats to win this.

Really? I'd say Toph has pretty decent reaction time feats. Remember her fights with the other earthbenders in Earth Rumble 6? Pretty much all she did in those fights was wait for her opponents to make the first move, and then immediately dodge or counter-attack accordingly. A lot of her moves in that episode involved split-second timing.

#35 Posted by FourthDeity (2234 posts) - - Show Bio

@(((Prodigy))) said:

@YoungJustice said:

Really? I'd say Toph has pretty decent reaction time feats. Remember her fights with the other earthbenders in Earth Rumble 6? Pretty much all she did in those fights was wait for her opponents to make the first move, and then immediately dodge or counter-attack accordingly. A lot of her moves in that episode involved split-second timing.

Nothing Gambit hasn't seen before.