Tonraq/Unalaq vs Katara/Ming-Hua

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arcus1

In this battle, some of Avatars waterbending masters will face off in a classic battle of the sexes

Boys: Unalaq and Tonraq

Girls: Katara and Ming Hua

Both groups are working well together. They are in character.

Fight takes place at the North Pole. Starting distance is 50 feet. It's night time with a crescent moon. Victory by ko or death

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By GXrevolution96

This is an interesting battle. Katara and Ming-Hua is the perfect combo. They compliment each other's styles. I think Katara & Ming-Hua wing mid-high difficulty. Tanraq would is the weak link here. If he is taken out, I doubt Unalaq would be able to hold off both Katara and Ming-Hua

Z___

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Team 2.

Z'

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z___: why do you think team 2?

Z___

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Z___

@arcus: Agility, precision, versatility and complementary abilities.

Z'

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z___: the brothers aren't lacking in skill either, and they've got great power. Remember Unalaq was hanging with a fully realized Korra (most of that fight was without the Dark Avatar State)

Rijehu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my gosh this would be so GOOOOOOOOOOD

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rijehu said:

Oh my gosh this would be so GOOOOOOOOOOD

lol I forgot about this. Who do you see winning?

Rijehu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unalaq is a beast and was going toe to toe with Korra, BUT I wasn't as impressed with her feats of water as I was with Katara and Ming Hua, and then you have those two working together...TOGETHER. I have seen Tonraq in action and he is formidable as well and Unalaq but...Korra and Ming Hua together sounds like a massacre. Keep in mind, we just discussed Ming Huas agility and Katara's power...you have those benders compensating for each other's weakness...Oh my Gosh lol. Team 2...I think.

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rijehu said:

Unalaq is a beast and was going toe to toe with Korra, BUT I wasn't as impressed with her feats of water as I was with Katara and Ming Hua, and then you have those two working together...TOGETHER. I have seen Tonraq in action and he is formidable as well and Unalaq but...Korra and Ming Hua together sounds like a massacre. Keep in mind, we just discussed Ming Huas agility and Katara's power...you have those benders compensating for each other's weakness...Oh my Gosh lol. Team 2...I think.

Katara's got power, MIng Hua has speed and agility, but Unalaq's got an excellent combination of both, and Tonraq's pretty formidable in his own right. Remember almost all of Unalaq's feats when fighting Korra in their final fight were under his own power and skill

Rijehu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arcus: True, but Team 2 is a complete force. Together every angle, every source of water in any form and the scale of which it reaches would be VASTLY potent and at their dispense constantly...

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rijehu said:

@arcus: True, but Team 2 is a complete force. Together every angle, every source of water in any form and the scale of which it reaches would be VASTLY potent and at their dispense constantly...

Fair enough. Another thing to consider is that Team 1 (imo at least) is more durable than Team 2

Sean12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Team 2, Tonraq is decently powerful, but he's kind of there as a meat shield for Unalaq. Basically comes down to if Unalaq could defeat either of the two waterbenders in time so Tonraq could be aided. However, Katara and Ming Hua are amongst the upper echelon of waterbenders so I kind of doubt it. Perhaps if you throw in another waterbender in Tonraq's place like a Tarrlok strictly using waterbending. That would be an awesome fight.

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sean12345: you think Tarrlok's better than Tonraq? I'd favor Tonraq, even if only due to Tarrlok's lack of feats in just waterbending

Sean12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arcus: Well Tarrlok was augmenting water very skillfully in the chamber fight to a point where he overwhelmed the avatar briefly. Tonraq hasn't shown nearly that kind of degree of mastery imo. Plus lets look at the facts, Tonraq has lost just about every fight he's been in.

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Arcus1

@sean12345:

Tarrlok landed some hits on an inexperienced, not fully trained Avatar who then proceeded to destroy him. Not counting bloodbending, Tarrlok's lost the one fight he was in too. It's worth noting that Tonraq only lost in the North Pole because of P'li, he was stalmating Zaheer

Sean12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arcus: From what I remember Tonraq got owned in the North. Zaheer dodged all his attacks and got some hits on him, the P'li managed to hit him to finish him off. I'd hardly call that stalemating. Nevertheless Korra season 1 >>Tonraq. Just because she didn't master air bending and the avatar state doesn't mean she was weak at all. She's still an avatar. Also to master bloodbending is a strong indicator that a person's waterbending prowess is very impressive.

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arcus: From what I remember Tonraq got owned in the North. Zaheer dodged all his attacks and got some hits on him, the P'li managed to hit him to finish him off. I'd hardly call that stalemating. Nevertheless Korra season 1 >>Tonraq. Just because she didn't master air bending and the avatar state doesn't mean she was weak at all. She's still an avatar. Also to master bloodbending is a strong indicator that a person's waterbending prowess is very impressive.

Zaheer might have landed one hit, but there was no indication that Tonraq was getting owned by Zaheer. Obviously he didn't stalemate Zaheer and P'li

Well Korra beat Tarrlok so it's kinda irrelevant. We just don't have enough pure waterbending feats for Tarrlok to give us a good idea of his capabilities

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I love Tonraq's style, I'm not sure if he's on the same level as the others here. He's got a very direct, physical style that more augments his natural abilities as a warrior with his bending rather than actually using his bending to win. Main point being when he was fighting Unalaq he spent the entire fight trying to get close to his brother because he couldn't win with pure bending.

On the other hand Unalaq is a few steps above either Katara or Ming. His power is about even with katara's but he has much better mobility, both on foot and with his waterspout technique. Meanwhile he has a clear power edge over Ming and his waterspout makes him very difficult to gain an edge over him with mobility alone. I doubt he could beat both together, but he'd be a serious threat to them even in a 1v2 scenario.

In the end I can see team 1 taking it IF Tonraq is able to close the distance on Katara, which I believe he can achieve with support from Unalaq. Katara could likely take Tonraq in a straight fight, but in hand to hand Tonraq would quite easily overpower the young girl who has some really, really bad close combat showings. With Katara out Ming would get overwhelmed pretty quickly.

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I love Tonraq's style, I'm not sure if he's on the same level as the others here. He's got a very direct, physical style that more augments his natural abilities as a warrior with his bending rather than actually using his bending to win. Main point being when he was fighting Unalaq he spent the entire fight trying to get close to his brother because he couldn't win with pure bending.

On the other hand Unalaq is a few steps above either Katara or Ming. His power is about even with katara's but he has much better mobility, both on foot and with his waterspout technique. Meanwhile he has a clear power edge over Ming and his waterspout makes him very difficult to gain an edge over him with mobility alone. I doubt he could beat both together, but he'd be a serious threat to them even in a 1v2 scenario.

In the end I can see team 1 taking it IF Tonraq is able to close the distance on Katara, which I believe he can achieve with support from Unalaq. Katara could likely take Tonraq in a straight fight, but in hand to hand Tonraq would quite easily overpower the young girl who has some really, really bad close combat showings. With Katara out Ming would get overwhelmed pretty quickly.

Well the main reason Tonraq couldn't beat Unalaq with pure bending is because Unalaq's an extremely good bender. That is a fair point about his direct physical style

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arcus:

True, but he did the same with Zaheer. Tonraq's bending style is just used to get him close to his target so he can smash it with raw strength or an ice blade fist. I actually love the way he fights. I hope we see more of that.

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arcus:

True, but he did the same with Zaheer. Tonraq's bending style is just used to get him close to his target so he can smash it with raw strength or an ice blade fist. I actually love the way he fights. I hope we see more of that.

Me too, he's kinda like Lin in that he seems to be an awesome fighter who never gets to actually win a fight...that needs to change

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arcus:

Legend of Korra should've had full 20 episode seasons to be frank. It has a much, much bigger caste than TLA did and half the time to tell the tale of all these characters.

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arcus:

Legend of Korra should've had full 20 episode seasons to be frank. It has a much, much bigger caste than TLA did and half the time to tell the tale of all these characters.

That would have been much better. Unfortunately short seasons seems to be common, happened to Young Justice too

Sean12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arcus: It isn't irrelevant, it's considered a feat when someone manages to briefly overwhelm the avatar. Even so, Zaheer dominated Tonraq at laghima's peak even when he had Korra to help him out. Going off that logic its safe to assume the Tarrlok is an extremely powerful waterbender.

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Arcus1

@arcus: It isn't irrelevant, it's considered a feat when someone manages to briefly overwhelm the avatar. Even so, Zaheer dominated Tonraq at laghima's peak even when he had Korra to help him out. Going off that logic its safe to assume the Tarrlok is an extremely powerful waterbender.

Maybe not irrelevant, but it's not like it's the same as him actually beating Korra.

Tonraq had a very limited supply of water at Laghima's peak, you could consider it a feat that he managed to hit Zaheer at all

Sean12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arcus: despite not having sufficient water, Tonraq still had Korra there to help him out which imo leaves Tonraq without any excuse for why he shouldn't have beaten Zaheer. She did manage to knock him down but Tonraq failed to kill him. I could also say that Tarrlok didn't have a sufficient water source since Korra earth bent the wall down. I'm actually thinking about making this a thread since you have me talking about it haha.

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sean12345:

I wouldn't say it leaves him without any excuse, but that's just my thought

Go for it

Avatar image for deactivated-57d57a3174063
deactivated-57d57a3174063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Physically, Ming Hua outclasses both Tonraq and Unalaq in speed and agility. Without her arms, she has more experience using waterbending to move and dodge. I believe she can take Tonraq while Katara holds off Unalaq. Then they both gang him. Unalaq is the main threat for team 1.

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hypnosis: by moving without her arms do you mean doing the ice-skating thing? I'm pretty sure Tonraq's done that too, maybe not quite as fast though. Unalaq had his water spout

Avatar image for deactivated-57d57a3174063
deactivated-57d57a3174063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arcus: No just maneuvering in general like around the ice during her fight with Eska and Desna. She focuses her waterbending on movement whether it is climbing or jumping around to compensate for the loss of her arms. Tonraq has a more muscular build which gives him durability but slows him down a lot. Ming Hua is slim so she can literally dodge him all day.

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hypnosis said:

@arcus: No just maneuvering in general like around the ice during her fight with Eska and Desna. She focuses her waterbending on movement whether it is climbing or jumping around to compensate for the loss of her arms. Tonraq has a more muscular build which gives him durability but slows him down a lot. Ming Hua is slim so she can literally dodge him all day.

Oh ok, I was figuring climbing and swinging and stuff would be using her arms (water arms), but I see what you're saying.

Tonraq's pretty maneuverable too though, maybe not the same as Ming Hua but he's not slow. An example would be in his fight with Unalaq, and he used the water whip technique to climb Laghima's peak

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd give it to team 2 due to Ming Hua, she just fights in a completely unique way, as well as the fact that any attacks against her only strengthen her here

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacthripper: Tonraq's got a pretty unique style too. Technically all waterbenders redirect attacks, though Ming Hua does have a uniquely effective way of doing it

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 anthp2000  Moderator

@arcus1: Katara > Ming Hua > Unalaq >>>> Tonraq. Team 2 wins a very solid majority.

vengefulshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tonraq is fodder to team girls. Especially Ming since he's a very CQ fighter which is just a terrible idea here.

Unalaq beats both 1v1 but Katara especially would give him serious problems. Tonraq is too much of a liability. Team 2 8-9/10.

Avatar image for deactivated-597fe3e7af56f
deactivated-597fe3e7af56f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vengefulshot:

While I agree that team 2 wins because of Tonraq's weak link status, he's not fodder.

vengefulshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mial42: He is to Ming but that's more due to matchups than a huge gap in ability (though the gap is fairly large). He is capable of giving Katara a low-mid diff fight which really isn't good enough when Katara has MingHua to hold off Unalaq.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vengefulshot:

I'd say he could give Ming a mid-dif fight. He has knowledge on the RL, he's smart enough to know not to try and punch Ming. Tonraq's got good enough movement speed to at the very least run away for a while:

He wasn't fodder to a dark spirit that could handle the AS, he's not fodder here, even if he goes down mid-dif.
He wasn't fodder to a dark spirit that could handle the AS, he's not fodder here, even if he goes down mid-dif.

vengefulshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mial42: If Tonraq doesn't try and punch Ming then yes, he is capable of giving her a mid dif fight, but as well as losing the long range game, Ming has the ability to chase him down even when he is iceboarding. Both Katara and Ming can melt his ice prison or smash out of it, though that is a pretty good feat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unalaq Would Beat Ming Hua and Katara Would Beat Tonraq so Katara VS Unalaq, Katara will win in a hard battle

Unalaq would take them both in a 2v1 honestly. Post-Fusion Unalaq is the best fighter we have seen with waterbending.