thesilentghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By thesilentghost

Let me dispel the misconceptions I am seeing:

travel speed(running) is a innate ability of thor, so is his combat speed(lightning), and reactionary speed(microsecond).

His flight speed(via mjolnir) has nothing to do with this gauntlet!

That said, stops at Superman.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#202  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@moldybutt70 said:

@Buckshot: look i get where your coming from. i honestly do. but heres the thing: do you think someone that has fought at microseconds, moved in a blur of motion, moves faster than the eye can comprehend, has reacted to things inches away from his fast, and swung him hammer 2x the speed of light should LOGICALLY be tagged by guys like wolverine or mongoose? i certainly think not. aside from poor writing, thor also holds back. he usually limits himself to casual speeds because of morals and the sake of plot. unfortunately for thor, he has more of these low showings than he does high in the speed/reaction area, but i honestly dont think that should overall label him as a slow character, because hes not at all.

so, i dont know man. frankly, it seems like writers nowadays could care less about thors character and his great history with stan lee and jack kirby.

you can label him whatever you wish, but in my opinion its simply false to view him as a slow character that can get blitzed easily when hes had a good amount of impressive feats in that area

He once threw a punch in the space of a few microseconds and then caught his hammer. The next few things you list off are things Cap and Wolverine can do. They can both move faster the people can see and react to things right in front of them. Swinging his hammer as fast as he does isn't actually a speed feat. Even ignoring what the hammer can do on its own, you can spin a weighted rope much faster than you yourself could operate. You could spin it faster than you are able to move, faster than you could react to it, even faster than you could see (the end of the rope clearly). You can't obviously spin it faster than light, but you also can't lift a building or do magic, and since the spinning of the hammer is almost always magical in and of itself (unless you think Thor opening portals or his flight or summoning lightning are things he could realistically achieve without magic and solely through the speed of his swing) I don't consider it wholly his ability. So do I think that a character that has one feat that places him in microsecond speeds and a bunch of other street level feats and then some feats that clearly show he has trouble reacting much faster than street level, would get tagged by street level characters? Yes, I do. It surprises me that you'd harp on what's logical, and then base your entire stance on feats that are outliers instead of what's consistent.You say "writers nowadays could care less about Thor's...great history" with lee and kirby, but why do a few showings there make anything that contradicts that wrong? If he was written as slow by lee and kirby and then decades of writing after that made him really fast, I'm sure you'd have no problem going with what was modern and consistent then. Or let's take strength, if he was written as weaker before, and was shown to be stronger now, would you refuse to accept his higher strength level? If he needed his belt of strength to lift a building in the past but could do such a thing now and consistently showed that level of strength, which would you accept? You talk about his "great history" but more of his history shows him to be a character with street level speed.

@thesilentghost: lol, you seem to be getting bent out of shape pretty easily. I didnt say Thor's hammer gave him combat or reactionary speed. Thor's hammer tows him at very high speeds and people can confuse its ability to avoid obstacles at this speed with thor's, giving him the appearance of high operational speed which he does not consistently have. It seems like you're trying pretty hard to correct an error I didn't make. I'd suggest you calm down.

@thesilentghost said:

Let me dispel the misconceptions I am seeing:

travel speed(running) is a innate ability of thor, so is his combat speed(lightning), and reactionary speed(microsecond).

His flight speed(via mjolnir) has nothing to do with this gauntlet!

That said, stops at Superman.

I'd disagree with that. You're basing his combat speed off a simile and his reaction speed off a single feat decades ago. You're crediting him with operational speed that is not supported by and is even clearly contradicted by modern and consistent showings. Basing his performance off his consistent performance and the majority of his feats, he stops at Spider-Man.

moldybutt70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By moldybutt70

@Buckshot: him fighting at microseconds is still a solid feat, and when exactly has wolverine or captain america moved or fought that fast? thor has also deflected artillary fire with mjolnir using his left hand only, and thats only something cap america might do because his shield covers a large radius. thor has tagged guys like silver surfer before, caught a speedster using his cape, reacted to phoenix with her own blast while dazed, and trapped the avengers including a zooming quicksilver in a trench. your acting as if thor as a very few amount of feats in this area, when hes had plenty to prove hes well above street levelers. also your quite wrong on your assumptions about me. i go by how the character was originally intended to be, not by what i want to see. if thor was originally written as a slow character, and he recently started getting a bunch of high speed feats, i would call that PIS. but its quite the opposite with thor. unless you want to tell me whats so significantly different about classic thor and modern thor, im going to call him getting hit a bunch of times and not being able to react to street levelers as crap writing.

and you know what? maybe thor really isnt that fast when it comes to combat compared to superman or wonder woman. but thats not my point.

the point im trying to make is hes not nearly as slow as everyone makes him out to be, and he wouldnt just get easily blitz by a someone that has superman level speed

ripcurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#204  Edited By ripcurl

@CitizenBane:

You sure that's thor? Looks like Thunderstrike.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@moldybutt70 said:

@Buckshot: him fighting at microseconds is still a solid feat, and when exactly has wolverine or captain america moved or fought that fast? thor has also deflected artillary fire with mjolnir using his left hand only, and thats only something cap america might do because his shield covers a large radius. thor has tagged guys like silver surfer before, caught a speedster using his cape, reacted to phoenix with her own blast while dazed, and trapped the avengers including a zooming quicksilver in a trench. your acting as if thor as a very few amount of feats in this area, when hes had plenty to prove hes well above street levelers. also your quite wrong on your assumptions about me. i go by how the character was originally intended to be, not by what i want to see. if thor was originally written as a slow character, and he recently started getting a bunch of high speed feats, i would call that PIS. but its quite the opposite with thor. unless you want to tell me whats so significantly different about classic thor and modern thor, im going to call him getting hit a bunch of times and not being able to react to street levelers as crap writing.

and you know what? maybe thor really isnt that fast when it comes to combat compared to superman or wonder woman. but thats not my point.

the point im trying to make is hes not nearly as slow as everyone makes him out to be, and he wouldnt just get easily blitz by a someone that has superman level speed

It's always the same sad feats over and over again. Thor tagging Surfer? Easy when Surfer's not actually operating at a high speed (or when Thor throws a hammer that can move faster than light and do whatever it needs to in order to tag a target). Catching a speedster? Clotheslining speedsters is standard streetlevel procedure, and Thor's also been unable to tag speedsters. Reacting to an energy attack? Not something unique to Thor since other characters with street level speed have done it, and Thor has since been attacked by Rachel and was unable to duplicate the feat. And on and on. The same feats have been gone over countless times and in the end, there are a small handful that actually show him having faster than street level speed, and ~5 out of thousands isn't a great track record when there are feats that clearly show that Thor doesn't have that kind of speed, like when Thor himself says street level characters are quicker than him or Cap clearly states that Thor's reaction times are less than impressive. You act like its only recently that his speed has been street level when he's been slow for longer than he was fast. You hang on to your stance, but I'm never going to understand why some people use contradictory outliers as the basis for their views when dozens (hundreds?) of writers have decided that Thor's speed isn't worth writing about.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@ripcurl said:

@CitizenBane:

You sure that's thor? Looks like Thunderstrike.

@CitizenBane said:

I'm aware that it's Masterson, but I don't see it making that much of a difference. Masterson had "the power of Thor" just like Beta Ray Bill and the other knockoffs do, and he was more or less competent at its usage, judging by how he did against people like Annihilus and Ronan. I understand that his showings as Thunderstrike never really amounted to a whole lot. But Captain America noted that even the original Thor had lousy reaction time after Masterson flunked that practice session at Avengers Mansion.

And it's not like regular Thor would do any differently against Spidey, honestly.

moldybutt70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By moldybutt70

@Buckshot: well maybe your right. i guess thor isnt that fast when it comes to combat speed, and i cant deny whats happening consistently in the comics. based on some of the good speed feats hes had, i think he should at least be able to effectively maneuver with high street levelers. i dont care what you say, but writers trying to put him below that is bad writing and highly discrediting him.

and overall, its not like this even proves a lot anyway. thor should still be able to dodge or block by swinging his hammer fairly well against even high speedsters like superman if hes actually written to what he can do. he doesnt always necessarily have to be as quick or skilled in combat as someone like wonder woman. and if you ask me, his power and versatility covers up pretty well for whatever "lack" of speed he has that isnt even as slow as people think it is

thesilentghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By thesilentghost

@Buckshot said:

I'd disagree with that. You're basing his combat speed off a simile and his reaction speed off a single feat decades ago. You're crediting him with operational speed that is not supported by and is even clearly contradicted by modern and consistent showings. Basing his performance off his consistent performance and the majority of his feats, he stops at Spider-Man.

Classic feats are still valid.

Some, if not most, of his modern showings are PIS.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@moldybutt70 said:

@Buckshot: well maybe your right. i guess thor isnt that fast when it comes to combat speed, and i cant deny whats happening consistently in the comics. based on some of the good speed feats hes had, i think he should at least be able to effectively maneuver with high street levelers. i dont care what you say, but writers trying to put him below that is bad writing and highly discrediting him.

and overall, its not like this even proves a lot anyway. thor should still be able to dodge or block by swinging his hammer fairly well against even high speedsters like superman if hes actually written to what he can do. he doesnt always necessarily have to be as quick or skilled in combat as someone like wonder woman. and if you ask me, his power and versatility covers up pretty well for whatever "lack" of speed he has that isnt even as slow as people think it is

I can agree with the bolded statement without issue.

@thesilentghost said:

@Buckshot said:

Classic feats are still valid.

Some, if not most, of his modern showings are PIS.

The feats happened and they can be considered, but I also consider his hundreds (thousands?) of feats that place him at street level speed and multiple feats that don't just suggest street level speed but limit him to it. You consider all these feats less valid because of some reason I can't fathom (your personal determination of where Thor's speed should be despite the hundreds of paid writers and artists whose job it is to portray his speed?), but I consider Thor's few classic speed feats (and please don't act like even classically Thor was consistently shown to have high operational speed) to be less valid because they are not consistent. Call all his street level feats invalid PIS if you like, but the evidence isn't really on your side.

Avatar image for lord_moldemvort
Lord_Moldemvort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Lord_Moldemvort

thor has reacted in microseconds and nanoseconds, beat loki and fenris so hard his fists were smoking, reacted to projectiles inches away from his face, moved in a blur of motion, caught a zooming speedster with his cape, and has many references of people acknowledging his speed. now im not sure where that exactly puts him on the list, but i believe based on some of those feats he should, at the very least, be able to easily fight with the highest street levelers. hes honestly not THAT slow

Charlie_Jade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Charlie_Jade

@darkazrael999 said:

Thor has the feats to show that he is fast.

Sentry was wrote to be faster than him

robertloucksjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By robertloucksjr

@AngryHulks said:

@CitizenBane said:

@AngryHulks:

Like I said, Thor stopping at Quicksilver is probably a generous estimate.

I don't read a lot of Thor comic, but how old is this?

That is not Thor. Isn't the Eric Masterson (Thunderstrike) using Mjolnir?

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#213  Edited By SoA

@Charlie_Jade said:

@darkazrael999 said:

Thor has the feats to show that he is fast.

Sentry was wrote to be faster than him

nice pic ,guessing this was from one of the Siege's one shots?

Old_Chris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Old_Chris

Stops at Spider Man.

XiiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at Spider-Man.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

He can't clear at all but either spider-man or Quicksilver he stops at .

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine. Trolol.

But he can't get farther than spiderman, much less quicksilver.

DarkRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at Superman. Maybe Sentry. Clears if he goes all out.

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can spider-man deliver a punch in a microsecond or millisecond, can he catch a tank shell, react to a blast of telepathy, strike twice before gladiator in blitzing mode could reach him?????

Show me a scan of Sentry reacting in a microsecond, and show me scans of Thor bloodlusted being blitzed by street-level guys? Thor holds back against speedsters even more then against others since the impact would be higher.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can spider-man deliver a punch in a microsecond or millisecond, can he catch a tank shell, react to a blast of telepathy, strike twice before gladiator in blitzing mode could reach him?????

Yes.

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By themadsurfer

@sheenlantern: He(spide) can punch in microsecond??? Does Sentry has any microsecond feat????

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By SheenLantern
Avatar image for alessandro_souzamarques
alessandro_souzamarques

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themadsurfer said:

Yes.

HELL NO!!

Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He doesn't clear this at all. Even if he somehow got past Quicksilver the remaining combatants knock him out.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By SheenLantern

@sheenlantern said:

@themadsurfer said:

Yes.

HELL NO!!

Thor is canonically slower than Spider-Man, if he can do it. Peter must be able to.

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By themadsurfer

@evil_incarnate: You're right he stops at Sentry in reaction speed due to microsecond although he was able to strike twice before a bloodlusted/determinate Gladiator(nanosecond feats) could blitz him with a distraction. Gladiator is faster than Thor although.

Park

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Park

Hammer swings only? He shouldn't be able to land a hit on Spider-Man

Avatar image for asgardianxeno929
AsgardianXeno929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's compile a list of high and low speed thor and compare huh? All the masterson ones are invalid, Thor was way too fast for him and he was even confused as to why masterson was fighting him. Thor went to talk to wolverine who thought Thor was sabretooth, Thor knows he doesn't have to worry about being hurt by wolverine, he just ended it so he could talk. Then there's quicksilver aoe that is canceled out by the trench before quicksilver could react feat. Hit me with feats instead of just saying that there are many. And mjolnir can auto lock as was shown against silver surfer.

Avatar image for alessandro_souzamarques
alessandro_souzamarques

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sheenlantern said:
@alessandro_souzamarques said:

@sheenlantern said:

@themadsurfer said:

Yes.

HELL NO!!

Thor is canonically slower than Spider-Man, if he can do it. Peter must be able to.

Why is Thor slower than Spider Man? Please show me why. Show me those two or three scans that I know it's all you got. I'll show you at least 8 feats showing the opposite.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#234  Edited By HolySerpent

he stops at Nightwing (round 1)

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Stop at quick silver

ForeverEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

might stop at round 1. but ill be nice and say he stops at quicksilver

themadsurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Suddenly Nightwing has microsecond reaction speed.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at 3, nicely, at 4.

Fodder76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at 2.

Avatar image for asgardianxeno929
AsgardianXeno929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is he able to use auto-pilot on mjolnir?

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

Apocalypse3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at Sentry

darkseid1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quicksilver hits him enough

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By dondave

Honestly he could stop at Nightwing but I don't need Thor fanboys hounding me.

As already shown, he stops at Logan.

cdiddyman911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@pyrogram said:

stops at sentry or gets past him and instantly stops at superman.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at webhead

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at Logan

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By lol
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#249  Edited By Wolverine008

Stops at Wolverine.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By deaditegonzo

Stops at Wolverine. He gets hit 10 times before he lands a blow.