This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by SwordandShields (712 posts) - - Show Bio

Thing

vs

Ares(Marvel)

Rules:

Morals None.

Equipment Standard.

Starting Distance 25m.

Win by: KO, unable to fight or death.

Round 1- Hand to Hand Combat Only.

Round 2- Rules Apply

Give a reason who should win thx.

#2 Posted by Ddecourt (796 posts) - - Show Bio

Thing - H2H

Ares - With weapons

#3 Posted by Bo88gdan (4393 posts) - - Show Bio

Ares both rounds

#4 Posted by Qpzmg (976 posts) - - Show Bio

Round 1: Thing. Round 2: Ares.

#5 Posted by NeonGameWave (7703 posts) - - Show Bio

Ares wins both Rounds.

#6 Posted by God_Spawn (37344 posts) - - Show Bio

Thing kicks the sh*t out of Ares in both rounds. He's vastly stronger and more durable and no reason at all he won't disarm Ares with a thunderclap. For all of Ares' supposed fighting skills, he hasn't even shown much either that puts him ahead of Ben if at all.

#7 Posted by Ddecourt (796 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: He gave Herc a good fight once, Herc himself has made a joke out of Ben.

#8 Posted by Nefarious (18760 posts) - - Show Bio

Thing wins both rounds.

#9 Edited by God_Spawn (37344 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ddecourt: Herc would beat the crap out of him it weren't for plot. Ares is class 70 and has been knocked back by a suped up handgun from Bucky Barnes and floored from a regular handgun bullet to skull IIRC. Thing is well into class 100's at this point and physically more durable and smart+ skilled enough to disarm Ares.

#10 Edited by Ddecourt (796 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@Ddecourt: Herc would beat the crap out of him it weren't for plot. Ares is class 70 and has been knocked back by a suped up handgun from Bucky Barnes and floored from a regular handgun bullet to skull. Thing is well into class 100's at this point and physically more durable and smart enough to disarm Ares.

I agree about Herc beating him. Yes Ares is class 70 but he has shown to handle someone as A-Bomb who is class 100 and someone very highly durable as Man-Thing, so I don't think this would be an easy fight for Ben.

#11 Posted by God_Spawn (37344 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ddecourt: Flipping A-bomb isn't good enough. A-Bomb was also an idiot, Ben is rather battle savvy. Ares' only advantage here is weapons. His advantage is not enough since they can be gotten around quite easily by someone that is multiple times his strength class and above him in durability with something like a thunderclap. If it doesn't disarm him, one from Thing's strength is still more than enough to disorient or stun Ares to where Ben gets the immediate upper hand.

#12 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6948 posts) - - Show Bio

When I think of this battle. All I can see in my head is this...

Guess this is how I feel about this match up.
#13 Edited by Ddecourt (796 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Regardless A-Bomb is still class 100 and though I believe he could do the same feat to someone as slow as Ben. I've heard many times of Ben's fighting skill and many times I've seen him lose against individuals that are arguably inferior. Ben's thunderclap is not at the same level as Hulk's, I don't really think it will do anything significant to Ares.

#14 Edited by Ddecourt (796 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmgOmgWtfWtf: Ben's strength is nowhere near to that of Sentry/Void.

#15 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

Ares.

#16 Posted by God_Spawn (37344 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ddecourt: It does matter cause A-Bomb was still a moron. I'd have to go over the fight myself again to see if I would call BS on that too since I haven't read it in awhile. If A-Bomb is struggling with Ares' blows, I would call it BS considering he's shown to be able to throw down with Rulk pretty well and he is definitely above Ares. Ares fight with Skaar would also be questionable since he was able to clash swords with Skaar, yet Skaar is also leagues beyond him in strength. No reason he should struggle in a sword fight when they clash because of a huge strength edge.

Ben's grown into a near older Hulk class character . Ares has not. Hulk back then was able to KO class 90 characters IIRC. While Ben may not be as strong as Hulk was even at that time, his t-clap should be nearing a level like Hulk's and it should be more than enough to stun Ares or disarm him or blow him away. Luke Cage being a class 25 character can throw a person around and through a door (albeit them being unharmed), Ben being leagues above him should be able to do much more and considering Ares isn't heavy enough to not get back or durable enough to deal with it, I find no reason he can't. Ben has improved on fighting considering he's trained in boxing, wrestling, military combat and self taught himself Judo IIRC. Ben's primary fighting style being boxing, his "brawling" is his skill cause I have seen him duck, bob and weave, hook, body shot, uppercut etc.

#17 Posted by 18hunt (2891 posts) - - Show Bio

Ares, he went head to head with Herc

#18 Posted by Illuminatus (9491 posts) - - Show Bio

Thing.

#19 Posted by laflux (14223 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

Thing kicks the sh*t out of Ares in both rounds. He's vastly stronger and more durable and no reason at all he won't disarm Ares with a thunderclap. For all of Ares' supposed fighting skills, he hasn't even shown much either that puts him ahead of Ben if at all.

Does Ares have a Adamantine Ax as standard weaponry? Because without that, he will get curb-stomped.

#20 Posted by Floopay (8610 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Ares go Head to Head with Herc back when he had his Gauntlets that boosted his strength to match Hercules?

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#21 Posted by laflux (14223 posts) - - Show Bio

@Floopay said:

Didn't Ares go Head to Head with Herc back when he had his Gauntlets that boosted his strength to match Hercules?

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

As far as I'm aware they are not part of his Standard Equipment.

#22 Posted by Floopay (8610 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@Floopay said:

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

As far as I'm aware they are not part of his Standard Equipment.

I would think not, he gave them to his daughter about 15 years ago :P

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#23 Posted by Hyperlight (5491 posts) - - Show Bio

round 1 - personally i dont see thing touching ares if he really wants to win..... ares is not nearly as strong or durable but he has thousands of years of battle experience and anything the thing can do ares can do better ( as long as strength isnt a factor).

round 2- second fight ares definitely wins

#24 Posted by God_Spawn (37344 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hyperlight: You realize thousands of years of battle experience equates to absolutely nothing in comics? Seriously. All of Ares' "thousands" of years of battle experience is fighting people with sticks and stones that can't even harm him. Same thing with Namor. Fish-face has been alive for quite some time yet he couldn't even recently beat the Thing. And no, I am not talking about AvX versus fight where Thing fishtusked Namor to the seafloor, cause that was PIS. They had a second fight and Namor was fresh out of water and gained no upperhand. Thing actually laid more shots off. Ares is VASTLY below him in strength and durability. He can't even KO Ben and you think he beats him in h2h? Seriously? Hell, I'd even go as far as to say Namor is a better fight than Ares considering Ares tried to cheap shot Namor from behind and he got his axe taken away.

If thousands of years of experience actually equated to something, then the gods wouldn't be such mediocre fighters and have issues when the Hulk was no smarter than a first grader because they were statistically close to him.

The whole "I've lived longer than character X" argument is old and completely false.

#25 Edited by Hyperlight (5491 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

@Hyperlight: You realize thousands of years of battle experience equates to absolutely nothing in comics? Seriously. All of Ares' "thousands" of years of battle experience is fighting people with sticks and stones that can't even harm him. Same thing with Namor. Fish-face has been alive for quite some time yet he couldn't even recently beat the Thing. And no, I am not talking about AvX versus fight where Thing fishtusked Namor to the seafloor, cause that was PIS. They had a second fight and Namor was fresh out of water and gained no upperhand. Thing actually laid more shots off. Ares is VASTLY below him in strength and durability. He can't even KO Ben and you think he beats him in h2h? Seriously? Hell, I'd even go as far as to say Namor is a better fight than Ares considering Ares tried to cheap shot Namor from behind and he got his axe taken away.

If thousands of years of experience actually equated to something, then the gods wouldn't be such mediocre fighters and have issues when the Hulk was no smarter than a first grader because they were statistically close to him.

The whole "I've lived longer than character X" argument is old and completely false.

You're right...I have noticed that. Experience doesnt mean as much is it should comics. If it did we wouldn't have beings like hulk threatening greek gods and mutants threatening cosmic beings. I understand what you are talking about but I wouldnt say its completely false... just never explored or used

#26 Posted by Floopay (8610 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hyperlight said:

@god_spawn said:

You're right...I have noticed that. Experience doesnt mean as much is it should comics. If it did we wouldn't have beings like hulk threatening greek gods and mutants threatening cosmic beings. I understand what you are talking about but I wouldnt say its completely false... just never explored or used

Yes and no. Characters like Hercules really have shown that superior experience can mean quite a bit. Same goes with people like Wolverine, Sabertooth (pre-jobber), Thor (yes Thor has bad showings, but he also has a lot of good ones too, they just get overshadowed by some of his lower showings), Thanos, and many others.

However, there are also a lot of "prodigy" fighters out there, as I like to call them. Characters who are born with a talent for violence, and they always have a horrible background, and always grow up with some demented mentor that teaches them the art of lethality. Daken, X-23, Wade Wilson, Batman, Cassandra Cain, etc. etc.

Ares is an example of a Marvel character I really felt like had a lot of untapped potential. Supposedly a master of every weapon, supposed to be the god of war, etc. etc. Yet Marvel did nothing with him, and left him to be nothing more than another brick for people to pound on. To me it's just such a waste of a good character concept.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#27 Posted by Hyperlight (5491 posts) - - Show Bio

@Floopay said:

@Hyperlight said:

@god_spawn said:

Yes and no. Characters like Hercules really have shown that superior experience can mean quite a bit. Same goes with people like Wolverine, Sabertooth (pre-jobber), Thor (yes Thor has bad showings, but he also has a lot of good ones too, they just get overshadowed by some of his lower showings), Thanos, and many others.

However, there are also a lot of "prodigy" fighters out there, as I like to call them. Characters who are born with a talent for violence, and they always have a horrible background, and always grow up with some demented mentor that teaches them the art of lethality. Daken, X-23, Wade Wilson, Batman, Cassandra Cain, etc. etc.

Ares is an example of a Marvel character I really felt like had a lot of untapped potential. Supposedly a master of every weapon, supposed to be the god of war, etc. etc. Yet Marvel did nothing with him, and left him to be nothing more than another brick for people to pound on. To me it's just such a waste of a good character concept.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

floopay.. you just became a homie hahaha. so are you saying someone like ares should be able to win against someone like the Thing... because thats what i like to think...

...even though has a point

#28 Posted by Illuminatus (9491 posts) - - Show Bio

Thousands of years of fighting experience and he only lasted a few panels against Sentry.

#29 Posted by ShootingNova (15627 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

Umm... not to sound like a smarta$$ but if you believe so, shouldn't this be locked now?

#30 Posted by ShootingNova (15627 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

Thousands of years of fighting experience and he only lasted a few panels against Sentry.

And was getting stomped the whole fight.