• 58 results
mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mickey-mouse

How would you rate Ben's Fighting Skills(For a Brick)?

Garbage? Below Average? Average? Above Average? Excellent?

Please Provide Scans or Feats(At Least Issue Numbers) If You Can.

No Caption Provided

Bonus Question: Which Brick has the best H2H? Not Powerhouses like Thor or Superman, or Sentry, but True Bricks, Like Thing, Hulk, Hercules, Etc.

Ultragreenboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What skill :/

FukYouRenchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By FukYouRenchamp

Hercules or She-Hulk

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jashro44

@lukehero: I was gonna answer you in the other thread but I can give some feats here LOL:

Here is a fight between sasquatch and thing from marvel two and one annual. Sasquatch has the edge in size and strength and thing manages to even the tide with the use of his boxing. He manages to roll out of sasquatches hits, and sasquatch even comments thing is more battle wise than he is. He also rolls out of the way of sasquatches blows.

I'll see what else I can dig up.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: Thanks, nice to see OLE Blue Eyes using his head. I'll have to read that story sometime. Anything of recent comics as well you can think of?

Hercules or She-Hulk

That's the two that pop up in my mind, but what about DC's Bricks? Or Indie Bricks?

FukYouRenchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FukYouRenchamp

@lukehero said:

@jashro44: Thanks, nice to see OLE Blue Eyes using his head. I'll have to read that story sometime. Anything of recent comics as well you can think of?

@pr0metheus said:

Hercules or She-Hulk

That's the two that pop up in my mind, but what about DC's Bricks? Or Indie Bricks?

No DC or Indie bricks come to mind really, DC doesn't really have brick characters,mainly powerhouses. (Try naming a couple, I'm drawing a blank)

Only one I can think fits the bill is Aquaman.

For Indie, Apollo has decent skill (although its mainly through fighting dirty), and I believe Maul does too.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr0metheus: Yeah, that's the thing DC loads their characters up with powers. Solomon Grundy is a Brick though, also there is the Brick, King Shark, Kalibak, Big Barda, Rampage, Devastation, Blockbuster, Mammoth, etc...

I think the most skilled DC Brick is Big Barda, due to WW not really being a brick. WW has too much super speed. Even though Barda uses weapons, I believe she still counts as a brick. Also I I think Kalibak is pretty decent.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Which skill?... Is he Bats?...

- TAS

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DarthAznable

I think Savage Dragon is a bit more skilled than Thing.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

For a brick? Top-tier. We've seen his training history and background, we know he can and usually does apply it in fights with other bricks, hell we've even seen him rely on it during the times he was depowered/cured.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lukehero marked this as the best answer

For a brick? Top-tier. We've seen his training history and background, we know he can and usually does apply it in fights with other bricks, hell we've even seen him rely on it during the times he was depowered/cured.

Any specif comic issues or scans?

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

@lukehero said:

@juiceboks said:

Any specif comic issues or scans?

I'll have to get back to you on the issues, but here's one showing I have from when Ben was "cured" for the first time and was fighting some Olympians or something like that..

No Caption Provided

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@lukehero: He's got pretty solid pedigree for a brick, I know that he knows how to box, a bit of wrestling and I vaguely recall him using smart fighting techniques before a few times, I think @serrure is pretty familiar with Big Ben.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mickey-mouse
juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

@lukehero One of the things that makes Ben a unique brick is that unlike 98% of Marvel's bricks, he's been without powers multiple times for extended periods of time. Regardless, he's still considered a valued member of the F4 and has shown he can still throw down without the super-strength and durability and has the feats to show.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I'm quite familiar with Ben Grimm's strength, striking power and durability but I haven't seen some of these boxing skill showings before. Very impressive to see Grimm fighting with finesse as well as brute force.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a battle

Baronu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was a collegiate wrestler

SirDmanIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hercules has the best fighting skills for a brick, he's spent thousands of years honing his skills.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero One of the things that makes Ben a unique brick is that unlike 98% of Marvel's bricks, he's been without powers multiple times for extended periods of time. Regardless, he's still considered a valued member of the F4 and has shown he can still throw down without the super-strength and durability and has the feats to show.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hercules has the best fighting skills for a brick, he's spent thousands of years honing his skills.

Yet all he does is punch stuff.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jacthripper

@comicstooge: And outwrestle Thor

But he doesn't need to do much else.m

Kingant27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kingant27

I rate him above average, just below excellent, depending on what your expectation of excellent is.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

I rate him above average, just below excellent, depending on what your expectation of excellent is.

for a Brick the Thing has some of the best knowledge... but compared to everyone hes alright

Kingant27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@serrure: I agree, he's very good compared to a human etc; but against a lot of the character, he would only rank above average IMO.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BlackWind

He is definitely one of the best guys that you're going to find off Yancey Street when it comes to bare knuckle brawling. Not to mention when when against someone stronger, Thing just has way too much heart to go down easily.

So outside exotic martial artist, he is a very good fighter.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: @sovereign91001: @lvenger: @jacthripper: @serrure: @kingant27: @blackwind: @wolverine08: @comicstooge:

In case you're further interested in the topic, this is what @god_spawn said in the Brick vs Anti Brick Thread.

=======================================================================

#33 Posted by God_Spawn (38088 posts) - 8 hours, 36 minutes ago - Show Bio

@lukehero: 95% of Marvel's bricks are brawlers as is. Very rarely do any of their heavy hitters display impressive skill feats, and in comparison to the actual skilled fighters like Cap, T'Challa, Iron Fist etc, they look poor. So I'm not surprised that someone like Shatterstar, who is an accomplished fighter and is significantly faster and more agile, was able to dodge around the Thing for awhile. The Thing has his military training, was a collegiate wrestler, is an exceptional boxer, which helps his brawling style, and is self taught in Judo as well IIRC. He even taught She-Hulk how to box, and Jen is one of the few bricks that displays a consistent level of h2h training. And it doesn't help Ben's case when he is generally treated as an underdog brick with an unstoppable will. So usually being outstatted, he compensates with his skill. His skill displays aren't exactly blatant like the kung-fu types, but go through some of his fights over the years and see how he fights. At times it is pretty obvious he can be seen incorporating his boxing quite a bit, but for specific issues, I'll have to get back to you on that.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mickey-mouse

@wolverine08: Always. I am also interested in opening up a thread about who the best Anti-Bricks are.

Kingant27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kingant27
serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

@lukehero: God-Spawn hits it right on if you ask me. Me and Him enjoy so many of the same Characters.

Ben does incorprate allot of boxing in his fights. its part of the reason he can hang with many other bricks (and it helps hes a legit bad A$$)

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mickey-mouse
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@lukehero: Wow very nice post, thanks for tagging me. That was a good read.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: No problem. I'll see if I can find some more showings.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Like I said in a previous thread, most bricks aren't the most technical of fighters. It's very rare they bust out showings that the street leveler martial artists would use, but that doesn't make them terrible fighters by brick standards. The Thing has always generally been considered an underdog over the years, but he has his military background, collegiate wrestling career, and spent hours upon hours of training in boxing, and has learned Judo. Ben generally gets by because of his willpower, grits, and his ability to fight. As Jashro mentioned he was outclassed by Sasquatch and used his skill there. Ben's been in dozens of fights with the likes of the Hulk and Namor over the years despite both being stronger, and the Thing I believe has beaten them once or twice in the past. The Champion mopped the floor with Ben due to a huge stat edge in a boxing match, but the Champion praised Ben's determination and ability to fight in a strictly boxing style format. This was also all after the Champion beat Sasquatch, Colossus, and Wonder Man all in a row.

And Ben has shown Shulkie some of his boxing and wrestling techniques, as well.

But, it isn't always stated that Ben is using his technique, but do we have to? Even in recent times, he managed to fight evenly with a freshly hydrated Namor that just decimated Luke Cage and one shot She-Hulk from behind with Luke Cage as a bat. And Ben held his own against Colossus as the Juggernaut before getting dragged out of the blue area and beaten on while being suffocated from the lack of oxygen.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mickey-mouse
jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jashro44

@lukehero: I have a few more thing fights if you want to check them out:

Fantastic four 25 and 26. Dodges tires which are thrown at speeds close to the speed of sound, hulk tosses him which thing uses a building to catch himself, manages to catch hulk off balance and ties him up for a bit before hulk breaks out and the fight begins again. Its also said thing is faster and more agile than hulk. Thing uses the environment quite a bit
Again Thing uses the environment, he is said to be faster than hulk, hulk has him in a hold at one point towards the end and thing manages to escape the hold using skill. He gets one shotted when he gets distracted because Alicia shows up.

This is one of the fights god_spawn referenced. He takes on colossus when he was juggernaut. He loses but he does pretty OK, and he uses the environment (tosses something down colossus throat which is a good showing of use of the environment and accuracy)

Full fight between thing and champion in the marvel two in one annual. Thing ducks some punches, breaks his ribs, and refuses to quit.

Here is how sasquatch (who is stronger than thing) and colossus (who is fairly well trained) did:

There are other showings. I can probably dig up some more.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#42  Edited By cosmicallyaware1

@lukehero: way cool bro, thanks for tagging me in this, it's right up my alley.....

as far as Ben Grimm is concerned:

Ben is a very accomplished fighter. That's not to say he's exceptional but he is above the average fist thrower. Before he was even the Thing he had training in H2H,

No Caption Provided

and let's not forget that he was in the UCW (Unlimited Class Wrestling federation) for a time.

No Caption Provided

SO he has more than the average brick mentality of just "punch, punch, punch". He understands the concepts of leverage, momentum, and using maneuvers to his advantage. And as most heroes in the MCU have, he spent some time learning fighting techniques from Steve Rogers.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cream_God

Excellent, hes very skilled compared to other bricks

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is absolutely, positively, not a battle.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmicallyaware1: Thanks great stuff.

@johnnyz256: It's a battle topic mate. No mod has moved it, in fact look up. Mod gave the best answer for it.

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JohnnyZ256

Battles are supposed to be "Character X vs. Character Y." This is not asking if the Thing would defeat a certain character. This thread belongs in General Discussion or the Thing forum.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnnyz256: Not really. There are plenty of questions in the battle forum, questions about Superman's striking power or who is the best H2H fighter in Marvel, etc.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, seems this has already been pretty much answered. Thing is a darn good and proficient fighter for a brick.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a brick excellent.

CosmicOrochi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers