Avatar image for darkknight96000
darkknight96000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By darkknight96000

Can the Sprectre at full power take on the Source?
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By AtPhantom

I'll give you the answer as soon as you explain to us what the Source is.

Superparody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Superparody

hmmm at full power? 
The Spectre's power is derived off the presence... 
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AtPhantom
@Superparody said:
" hmmm at full power? The Spectre's power is derived off the presence...  "
That's like saying the Surfer's power are derived from Galactus. Completely inconsequential.
capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By capall

Superparody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Superparody
@AtPhantom said:
" @Superparody said:
" hmmm at full power? The Spectre's power is derived off the presence...  "
That's like saying the Surfer's power are derived from Galactus. Completely inconsequential. "

the surfers main orgin of power resonates from the astral realm...and their is a limit to how much power cosmic can flow through him before it burns him out and has to wait for it to come back...the Spectre's powers dont burn out...but anyway I am thinking that the source wins this as the presence limits the power the Spectre had so at regular levels...he cant beet the Source...
Avatar image for capitolpunishment
CapitolPunishment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CapitolPunishment

Interesting, any other takers?

Assman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Assman
@AtPhantom said:
I'll give you the answer as soon as you explain to us what the Source is.
Agreed.  If you stated the aspect of the Source that was fighting DS in the last issue of DOTNG, then we would have something to work with, as it's more specific.
Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Killemall

The spectre (dont ask me for a reason, its just a gut feeling)

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By PowerHerc

The Source.

Avatar image for ___living_tribunal_22__
___Living_Tribunal_22__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Spectre at full power has infinite power, he is backed by The Presence after all. 

The Source showed  in at least one occasion that its power is finite. 

I say the green-hooded guy wins.
MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MKF30

Spectre

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AtPhantom
@___Living_Tribunal_22__ said:
The Spectre at full power has infinite power, he is backed by The Presence after all.  The Source showed  in at least one occasion that its power is finite.  I say the green-hooded guy wins.
Uh, no. 

Seriously, I thought we laid that "Spectre is all powerful because God got his back" thing ages ago.
isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By isaac_clarke
@AtPhantom said:
The Spectre at full power has infinite power, he is backed by The Presence after all.  The Source showed  in at least one occasion that its power is finite.  I say the green-hooded guy wins.
Uh, no.   Seriously, I thought we laid that "Spectre is all powerful because God got his back" thing ages ago.
People forget quickly when there isn't anyone to whip them back to shape. 
Although if it was true, God must absolutely detest the Spectre.
CapitolPunishment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AtPhantom said:
Uh, no.   Seriously, I thought we laid that "Spectre is all powerful because God got his back" thing ages ago.

This
CapitolPunishment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, its was stated in DOV the the Source may actually be another aspect of the presence so this battle is far from undecided.
Avatar image for supermandefender
supermandefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By supermandefender
@AtPhantom said:
Spectre is 1 aspect of God. Spectre is gods wrath. Spectre does not have all gods power. Spectre has unlimited power if backed by God. Spectre doesnt have infinite power if backed thats different.
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AtPhantom
@supermandefender said:
@AtPhantom said:
Spectre is 1 aspect of God. Spectre is gods wrath. Spectre does not have all gods power. Spectre has unlimited power if backed by God. Spectre doesnt have infinite power if backed thats different.
You have no idea what you're talking about, and, frankly, neither do I.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@CapitolPunishment said:
Also, its was stated in DOV the the Source may actually be another aspect of the presence so this battle is far from undecided.
The Presence = the Hand = the Word = the Source.

All the same thing. But Spectre isn't all powerful. Even when backed by the Presence, he does not have all of the Presence's power. Exactly when has he EVER had full power? In DoV, he was doing all those things because he was corrupted. The Presence punished him later, and therefore he didn't have all of the Presence's power. In CoIE, he had the power of all of the Earth's mystics backing him (like what they did to Captain Marvel in DoV, but stronger).
___Living_Tribunal_22__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the difference between unlimited and infinite? As far as I'm concerned, unlimited means no limits, and I consider having and end a limit. 

I do think The Presence might want The Spectre to experiment all failures of a mortal as he got involved with the Justice Society. 

All the same thing. But Spectre isn't all powerful. Even when backed by the Presence, he does not have all of the Presence's power. Exactly when has he EVER had full power? In DoV, he was doing all those things because he was corrupted. The Presence punished him later, and therefore he didn't have all of the Presence's power. In CoIE, he had the power of all of the Earth's mystics backing him (like what they did to Captain Marvel in DoV, but stronger).  

I always thought he was fully powered when he fought Great Evil Beast and defeated his finger. 

Uh, no.  

Seriously, I thought we laid that "Spectre is all powerful because God got his back" thing ages ago.

I say that at full power Spectre is very well above multiversal beings like Eternity, and thus above The Source, whose power is finite. 

When was it stated in Day of Vengeance?
supermandefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By supermandefender
@AtPhantom said:
@supermandefender said:
@AtPhantom said:
You have no idea what you're talking about, and, frankly, neither do I.
I think I do lol ^_^; Its a play on words. Spectre is my 2nd favorite character. @___Living_Tribunal_22__ said:

What's the difference between unlimited and infinite? As far as I'm concerned, unlimited means no limits, and I consider having and end a limit. 
 - unlimited power means you can do pretty much anything......infinite power means your like all-powerful. Omnipotence is unlimited and infinite power. By definition. But this is my understand of it.

I do think The Presence might want The Spectre to experiment all failures of a mortal as he got involved with the Justice Society. 

I always thought he was fully powered when he fought Great Evil Beast and defeated his finger. 
 Thats true. I thought the same 2.

Uh, no.  

I say that at full power Spectre is very well above multiversal beings like Eternity, and thus above The Source, whose power is finite. 

Eternitys powers are unlimited in 1 universe. Because he is in a sense the universe itself. He isnt a multiversal being. Eternity is a universal level being....like Galactus. The living tribunal is a multiversal being. The Spectre i see is a multiversal being. Technically COIE AM gained nigh-omnipotent power the Spectre was able to stop him but by absorbing power from the most powerful magical beings in the universe.   

Spectre and the living tribunal are somewhere between multiversal level beings and nigh-omnipotent beings.
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AtPhantom
@supermandefender said:
- unlimited power means you can do pretty much anything......infinite power means your like all-powerful. Omnipotence is unlimited and infinite power. By definition. But this is my understand of it. 
Every dictionary in the world hates you right about now.
Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Saren
@AtPhantom said:
@supermandefender said:
I like you, AtPhantom.
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AtPhantom

This speaks volumes on just how much you know on the Spectre and Source. Spectre and the Source have interacted on two separate occasions, and both times the Source was shown as being orders of magnitude beyond the Spectre itself, to the point where Spectre couldn't even comprehend its true nature. 

The Source being finite and on the level of Eternity is a claim you completely made up and cannot back up in any way, because NOBODY knows what the hell the Source is or exactly how powerful it is. It is possibly the most mysterious force in all of DCU. The closest we ever got to actually seeing what the Source is and can do was in Death of the New Gods, and Grant Morrison retconned that almost instantly. So, again, no. Read up on the characters.
Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Saren

A lot of Spectre's power is implied rather than explicit.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By entropy_aegis

The Source wins,cause it's the Source Duh.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
@AtPhantom said:

This speaks volumes on just how much you know on the Spectre and Source. Spectre and the Source have interacted on two separate occasions, and both times the Source was shown as being orders of magnitude beyond the Spectre itself, to the point where Spectre couldn't even comprehend its true nature. 

The Source being finite and on the level of Eternity is a claim you completely made up and cannot back up in any way, because NOBODY knows what the hell the Source is or exactly how powerful it is. It is possibly the most mysterious force in all of DCU. The closest we ever got to actually seeing what the Source is and can do was in Death of the New Gods, and Grant Morrison retconned that almost instantly. So, again, no. Read up on the characters.
Spectre is probably the most overrated character since Dr. Manhattan, especially in the Battle Forums. After doing some reading on The Source (and it got quite confusing), I'd say Spectre loses this horribly.
Superskrull86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By Superskrull86
@Killemall said:
The spectre (dont ask me for a reason, its just a gut feeling)
OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By OmegaDynasty
@Illuminatus said:
@AtPhantom said:

Spectre is probably the most overrated character since Dr. Manhattan, especially in the Battle Forums. After doing some reading on The Source (and it got quite confusing), I'd say Spectre loses this horribly.
I wouldn't really say he's " overrated" time and time again we have seen Spectre become the whipping boy of DC. He becomes a giant Jobber. If I was the Presence I would be ashamed of my agent of wrath for getting beaten so many times. 
___Living_Tribunal_22__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought we were using Full-Powered Spectre for this fight? Not the jobber that interacted with The Source. 

I think the Source's powers are finite, because two reasons: 

1) It got attacked and separated of the ALE by the Old Gods. 
2) It got stalemated by Soulfire Darkseid. 

If it had infinite power that shouldn't have happened. I don't even think The Source is a character.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

1. Doubtful. "Full power" would assume he was Presence level or close to it. GEB = Presence, so I don't see how he could have been at "full power." Full power Spectre is really just a hypothetical power level that we have never seen.

2. It may have been, but I'm not sure. Either way, yes, the Source is one aspect of the Presence.
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AtPhantom

I thought we were using Full-Powered Spectre for this fight? Not the jobber that interacted with The Source. 
I'd love to see what you consider full powered Spectre then. 

I think the Source's powers are finite, because two reasons:  1) It got attacked and separated of the ALE by the Old Gods. 2) It got stalemated by Soulfire Darkseid.  If it had infinite power that shouldn't have happened. I don't even think The Source is a character.
@AtPhantom said:
and Grant Morrison retconned that almost instantly
supermandefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By supermandefender
@AtPhantom said:
@supermandefender said:
Its common sense....O_O; seriously? If you have no limits to what does that mean 2 u?  If your strength or power is infinite what does that mean 2 u?

If you really think something unlimited and infinite are the samething i dunno what to say to u.
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AtPhantom

Tell you what. Go find a Latin dictionary and translate what in-finitus means. I'll wait.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By MrDirector786

The Source.

As a side note, I think in Genesis, the Spectre pierced the Source Wall to a degree but when the godwave was being unleashed I remember even he was being repelled away. I don't remember it too well since it's been a while since I read that story but I feel it shows the Source has more power than the Spectre.

CapitolPunishment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JediXMan

This is grey area, as AtPhantom said the source is not a very well defined character and his most detailed showing was retcon'd. Where are you getting this info from anyway? Just curious because many different comics contradict each other and I would like to know if I missed any books defining there relation.

All the same thing. But Spectre isn't all powerful. Even when backed by the Presence, he does not have all of the Presence's power.

From what I have read the presence has never "backed" the Spectre. Can you elaborate with an example perhaps? Even in older publications the Spectre would often call on his master for help/power/guidance etc but in the end it was always shown the Spectre and or its host that would determine his actual power. I recall the Presence forcing the Spectre into a host but never giving him a power up or "backing" him.

Exactly when has he EVER had full power? In DoV, he was doing all those things because he was corrupted.

That is a good question, one I can not answer. In DOV he was host-less, even before Eclipso manipulated him his abilities were already limited because of that reason. In the Spectre's first showing during DOV the Spectre actually told Shazam that without a host he would forget the conversation they had shortly afterwards and that he cannot be relied upon. Despite what many believe the Spectre and its power have nothing to do with being "backed" by the Presence, they do however greatly rely on the host; how strong the bond between the two is; and the faith of the host as well (A good example would be Final Crisis: Revelations). The Spectre while host-less was never shown to be more powerful than with a host. Host-less it is more ruthless and does not hold back, it also is weak-minded, forgetful and sometimes just plain stupid.

The Presence punished him later, and therefore he didn't have all of the Presence's power.

Again, I never claimed he was at full power in DOV, in fact I believe he was far from it. The Spectre being host-less is not a power up, it actually greatly limits its abilities.

In CoIE, he had the power of all of the Earth's mystics backing him (like what they did to Captain Marvel in DoV, but stronger).

Yep, I am well aware of this and never stated otherwise, thank you. One thing that should be noted is that during the DOV arc the Spectre also was able to draw upon the powers of others (Forcefully) and said that in duress he can draw power from anyone/anything. This would mean that what he was able to do in COIE can possibly be replicated without the support freely given to him (granted some may be able to resist). 

@___Living_Tribunal_22__@JediXMan

The first two pages of text in the trade, titled "The nature of Magic" where if briefly gives the origins of many mystical characters and artifacts within the DCU including but not limited to the Spectre, Rock of eternity, Eclipso, Lords of Order and Chaos, the Star heart, the endless etc.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@CapitolPunishment said:
@JediXMan

This is grey area, as AtPhantom said the source is not a very well defined character and his most detailed showing was retcon'd. Where are you getting this info from anyway? Just curious because many different comics contradict each other and I would like to know if I missed any books defining there relation.
Alas, no. It may have been mentioned somewhere, but I cannot find the source (pardon the unintentional pun).

On a side note: is there a difference between the Source and the Source Wall, and if so what is it? Just curious.

@CapitolPunishment said:

All the same thing. But Spectre isn't all powerful. Even when backed by the Presence, he does not have all of the Presence's power.

From what I have read the presence has never "backed" the Spectre. Can you elaborate with an example perhaps? Even in older publications the Spectre would often call on his master for help/power/guidance etc but in the end it was always shown the Spectre and or its host that would determine his actual power. I recall the Presence forcing the Spectre into a host but never giving him a power up or "backing" him.
From what I can see, it is more hypothetical. In that, if the Presence wants you dead, you are going to die. And since Spectre is the hand of God, then, in theory, he could be backed by the Presence in order to do his duty. 

@CapitolPunishment said:

Exactly when has he EVER had full power? In DoV, he was doing all those things because he was corrupted.

That is a good question, one I can not answer. In DOV he was host-less, even before Eclipso manipulated him his abilities were already limited because of that reason. In the Spectre's first showing during DOV the Spectre actually told Shazam that without a host he would forget the conversation they had shortly afterwards and that he cannot be relied upon. Despite what many believe the Spectre and its power have nothing to do with being "backed" by the Presence, they do however greatly rely on the host; how strong the bond between the two is; and the faith of the host as well (A good example would be Final Crisis: Revelations). The Spectre while host-less was never shown to be more powerful than with a host. Host-less it is more ruthless and does not hold back, it also is weak-minded, forgetful and sometimes just plain stupid.
Agreed. The host matters. And Crispus Alan is very cynical compared to the other hoses. I would say that, in DoV, we saw what Aztar himself can do. A clean slate, if you will, with no "boosts."

Though I think the events of FC: Revelations was more complex. First, there was a lot going on in the universe. So the Presence may have been rather occupied. In fact, I think Spectre (or Radiant) said that. Also, I think a lot of it was a test for both Spectre and the Radiant. 

@CapitolPunishment said:

The Presence punished him later, and therefore he didn't have all of the Presence's power.

Again, I never claimed he was at full power in DOV, in fact I believe he was far from it. The Spectre being host-less is not a power up, it actually greatly limits its abilities.

I believe the closest to full power Spectre ever was would be in CoIE, when he was backed by all of the mystics. People forget just how powerful he was. CoIE Anti-Monitor was no joke, and to stand up to that kind of power is a good showing. Far better than anything we saw in DoV.

@CapitolPunishment said:

In CoIE, he had the power of all of the Earth's mystics backing him (like what they did to Captain Marvel in DoV, but stronger).

Yep, I am well aware of this and never stated otherwise, thank you. One thing that should be noted is that during the DOV arc the Spectre also was able to draw upon the powers of others (Forcefully) and said that in duress he can draw power from anyone/anything. This would mean that what he was able to do in COIE can possibly be replicated without the support freely given to him (granted some may be able to resist). 
I would say that he would get a lot more power from the willing, rather than the resistant. Plus, in DoV, Captain Marvel was far from CoIE Spectre, regardless of the similarities. CM was backed by a bunch of weaker mystics, while CoIE Spectre was backed by Classic Fate and Phantom Stranger (yes, PS was backing CM, too. But he was a freakin' mouse at the time, so...)
a88378438

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By a88378438
@CapitolPunishment
@JediXMan: 

hello~~my friend~~ 

i go to The Source ~
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AtPhantom
@JediXMan said:
 On a side note: is there a difference between the Source and the Source Wall, and if so what is it? Just curious. 
The Source, in the New gods mythos, is the ultimate primal energy/life force/ guiding will of the universe. The Source wall is an actual physical wall circumventing the physical universe. It is called the Source Wall because the Source is believed to reside behind it (whether it actually does reside behind it depends on the writer). The Wall is an almost impenetrable barrier and it takes a wast amount of power to actually break through it (The Spectre actually being one of the few beings able to do so relatively casually). The bodies of those who try and fail to penetrate it litter the wall, giving it distinct appearance.
Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#40  Edited By Outside_85

If i am not mistaken, the Source easilly ejected the Spectre from its presence behind the Source Wall, if I remember correctly it was in the last days of Corrigan where they thought God was missing and were out looking for him.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By entropy_aegis
@AtPhantom said:
@JediXMan said:
The Source, in the New gods mythos, is the ultimate primal energy/life force/ guiding will of the universe. The Source wall is an actual physical wall circumventing the physical universe. It is called the Source Wall because the Source is believed to reside behind it (whether it actually does reside behind it depends on the writer). The Wall is an almost impenetrable barrier and it takes a wast amount of power to actually break through it (The Spectre actually being one of the few beings able to do so relatively casually). The bodies of those who try and fail to penetrate it litter the wall, giving it distinct appearance.
So what's on the otherside? i've heard that the wall seperates DC from Vertigo.
Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#42  Edited By Outside_85
@entropy_aegis said:
@AtPhantom said:
@JediXMan said:
Think that was actually explained in depth during the Death of the New Gods.
entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By entropy_aegis
@Outside_85 said:
@entropy_aegis said:
@AtPhantom said:
@JediXMan said:
Think that was actually explained in depth during the Death of the New Gods.
That was pretty bad,so much potential sigh.Morrison retconned that anyway.
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AtPhantom
@entropy_aegis said:
Well, according to Countdown, beyond each wall is the bleed, which separates that universe from the rest of the multiverse. I think that's still pretty canon. Before that, passing through would send you to some higher plane where you could actually talk to the Source or something.
AgentofChaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Source blinks him out of the existence

XiiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The source is basically the universe but The Spectre is multiversal therefore he wins

ancient_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ancient_god
Avatar image for deactivated-5d86fd79c2e73
deactivated-5d86fd79c2e73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure what the source is anymore...

Avatar image for joshuaw14984941
JoshuaW14984941

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The source has this.

-----

So, the Source is the reason why DC has gods and superheros.. It sent waved into their universe.

Completely we have never seen that much of Source nor its display of powers... What we do know is it uss to power Highfather up to complete or near unlimited power.

THE SOURCE was already said to he stronger than Lucifer and Michael, so that gives us a hint that not even Beyonder or Spectre can handle it..

Another thing is the Source is full omnipotent, omnipresence, omniscience, etc.. That lets us know either its the rival of the Presence, a partner of some sort, or it could be a immensely powerful being/object created by the presence....

The Source has a dark version of itself which could destroy universes with ease. The Spectre has nothing on it...

I say Source wins this...