DGPodcast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The Legendary Battle of the Classic Video Game Characters
The Legendary Battle of the Classic Video Game Characters

I'm posting these battle a little ahead of when we debate them on the DG Podcast (http://thedistractedgamers.com). So, while we will be debating Liu Kang versus Sonic the Hedgehog on Episode 119B, I want you to be thinking about the next battle: The Prince versus Simon Belmont.

The Prince is the prince of Persia. We are using the Prince from the original trilogy which started in 1989. So, while the Dagger of Time would have been cool, he doesn't have it. What he does have are his tenacity, his agility, his speed, his acrobatics (though not as developed as in later games), and his skills with a sword. I realize that might not seem like much, but the Prince is not only agile of body, but of mind as well, able to think quick in a tight situation and come up with solutions that benefit him.

Simon Belmont is the main protagonist from the first Castlevania game. Simon possess a holy whip called Vampire Killer that was passes down to him as a family heirloom. As a vampire hunter we can make a few assumptions about Simon. He is strong and quick, otherwise he would be dead (vampires take a lot of killing). We can also say that he can think on his feet and isn't easily ruffled.

At this point it comes down to sword against whip. The whip has range, but the sword is an easier weapon to wield (though Simon does seem more than competent). So can the Prince last long enough to get to Simon to finish him off, or does Simon greater reach keep the Prince at bay until Simon deals the fatal blow?

Avatar image for ninjawarrior268
NinjaWarrior268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

Prince has way better game play feats

gamiz7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

simon is the weakest of the belmonts, the prince wins easily

DGPodcast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The next episode of the DG Podcast will be up tomorrow morning. My co-host and I debated this very match-up: the Prince versus Simon Belmont. We didn't come to a conclusion. Basically we both think that Simon Belmont is the winner here. Simon has reach and magic on his side. The Prince will have to avoid Simon's whip to get close enough to do anything to him. Remember this is the pre-Sands of Time Prince so he doesn't have the power to manipulate time, nor does he have his fancy acrobatics. He has some acrobatic skills and his swordsmanship. We don't want to denigrate the skills of the Prince we just feel that they will be less than adequate to overcome Simon Belmont.

@ninjawarrior268: and @gamiz7: Basically, this boils down to giving you another chance to convince us that the Prince will beat Simon Belmont. Give us your arguments and let us know exactly why you think that the Prince comes out on top in this contest. We are trying to make this about skills, equipment, special abilities, etc. We are trying to avoid the "Batman Fallacy" or Batman wins because he is Batman type of conclusion. If you think that the Prince is awesome, give me reasons why he wins.

I specifically mention the two people who posted in this battle already. We read your comments in our podcast and are appreciative of them. But this challenge goes to anyone out there wanted to chime in. I was going to try to link to the Prince and Simon Belmont on Comic Vine, but the Prince article focuses on the post Sands of Time Prince and the Simon Belmont article has one sentence. Convince us one way or the other and we will reopen this discussion next week.

Reno117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You nerfed Prince.. so he can win again..?! :P

Prince takes this. He's far superior.