Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jokergeist

Welcome to the Killing Joke Challenge.

This is a test of willpower— the ability to MAINTAIN YOUR SANITY. This challenge is based on the "Killing Joke" story arc by Alan Moore. If you haven't read it, here's what you missed:

Barbara Gordon is having a pleasant afternoon with her father (James Gordon) when the doorbell rings. She opens it and is terrified when the Joker appears and shoots her through the spine, paralyzing her. As his henchmen kidnap Commissioner Gordon and imprison him in a run-down amusement-park, Joker takes photos of the crippled Barbara. His henchmen then strip Gordon naked and cage him in the park's freak show. Afterwards, the Joker chains Gordon to one of the park's rides and forces him to view giant pictures of his wounded daughter in various states of undress, hoping to drive Gordon insane in order to prove that the most upstanding citizen can go mad after having "one bad day". Once Gordon has run the maddening gauntlet, the Joker puts him on display in the freak show, ridiculing him as "the average man", a naïve weakling doomed to insanity.

Challenge Synopsis:

The battle is YOU vs the Joker. In this scenario, Commissioner Gordon's role on the story will be replaced by you, who is forced to hypothetically undergo the events/situations/mind-games that Joker instituted upon put Gordon in The Killing Joke story. What is your objective? The goal is to RESIST the Joker's attempts to drive you insane (tortures, mental manipulation, mind games, etc. etc.), and ultimately you must maintain a clear mind. If you go insane, you lose.

In the Comments Section below, describe what you do and what you are thinking during each chapter. State which chapter you would most likely go insane in.

Chapter One: Unexpected Visit

You and your daughter Barbara are having a pleasant evening at home. You are sitting in a couch and doing scrapbook work and Barbara brings you cocoa. *Knock! *Knock! Barbara answers the door--*BANG!

Startled, you look up and see your daughter fly backwards and land at your feet, bleeding. The Joker walks into your house, along with two henchmen.

Don't just stand there! The Joker just shot your daughter and invited himself into your home... What do you do?

Chapter Two: Waking Up

If you couldn't escape in the last chapter, one of Joker's henchmen punched you in the face and knocked you out cold.

You wake up.... you're lying on a floor.. a voice tells you "Up."

Your eyes open and your heart is stricken with terror. You see three fiendish children tugging at your clothing. "Up!" one says.

"Wuh... wait... wuzziss..?" you mumble. What's going on?? One of them pulls off your shirt. "Wh-what are you doing? You can't do that! Stop..."

Another minion straps something to your neck.. a leash.. *Zap!* A minion behind you is poking you with an electric pole. The third minion pulls off your boxers and your pants. You are now completely naked.

You gag and resist as they pull the leash.. the minion behind you is shocking you with its pole. They lead you through a curtain.. It's nighttime, you're in an amusement park. "Oh dear god," you say. This must be a nightmare.

The minions throw you down and you fall to the floor.... you look up, and there he is. The Joker sitting on his throne, grinning down at you.

Have you gone insane yet?

Chapter Three: Joker's Speech

If you haven't gone insane yet, good luck on this one.

No Caption Provided

"You. Oh no. I... I remember," you say. Everything starts coming back to you.. This isn't a dream. You're helpless.. and your daughter may be dead.

"Remember?" The Joker says. "Ohh, I wouldn't do that! Remembering's dangerous. I find the past such a worrying, anxious place... 'The Past Tense,' I suppose you'd call it. Ha ha ha..." [The minions force you back to your feet] "Memory's so treacherous," Joker continues. "One moment you're lost in a carnival of delight, with poignant childhood aromas, the flashing neon of puberty, all that sentimental candy floss... the next, it leads you somewhere you don't want to go..." [The minions tug your leash and begin to lead you away] "...somewhere dark and cold, filled with the damp, ambiguous shapes of things you'd hope'd were forgotten." [They lead you towards a structure... the sign reads Ghost Train] "Memories can be vile, repulsive little brutes. Like children, I suppose. Haha."

"Barbara," you mutter. "Oh no. Oh no..."

"But can we live without them?" Joker goes on. "Memories are what our reason is based upon. If we can't face them, we deny reason itself! Although, why not? We aren't contractually tied down to rationality! There is no sanity clause!" [The minions force you into the Ghost Train ride and strap you in] "So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there's always madness. Madness is the emergency exit."*The ride starts, your car starts moving forward*

"You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away...

forever."

Still sane? Have Joker's words gone to your head?

Chapter Four: The Ride

If you still haven't gone insane yet, you will.

The ride moves forward. You try to hide your eyes, but the minions pry your hands away. You're forced to watch. As the car moves forward you see a giant screen above..

The Joker appears on the screen, "Oh, I know... You're confused. You're frightened. Who wouldn't be? You're in a hell of a situation!" [The car accelerates] "But, y'know, through life's a bowl of cherries and this is the pits, always remember this.." [Music starts playing. Joker begins to sing...]

♪ "When the world is full of care and headline screams despair, when all is rape, starvation, war and life is vile..." ♪

[The car strolls downhill. Joker appears on more screens ahead] ♪ "Then there's a certain thing I do, which I pass along to you, that's always guaranteed to make me smile..." [The car passes through a door. You see more screens ahead..]

♪ "I go Loo-oo-oony as a light bulb battered bug, simply Loo-oo-oony, sometimes foam and chew the rug." ♪

[The car passes through another door. You see Joker dancing on a screen]

♪ "Mister, life is swell in a padded cell, It'll chase those blues away... you can trade your gloom for a rubber room, and injections twice a day!" [The car speeds up] ♪ "...Just go Loo-oo-oony, like an acid casualty, or a Moo-oo-nie, or a preacher on T.V. When the human race wears an anxious face, when the bomb hangs overhead, when your kid turns blue, it won't worry you, you can smile and nod instead!" ♪

You pass through another door. Ahead are a series of screens. As the car passes them, suddenly images of your daughter appear. She's lying on the floor, naked. More images appear: her exposed legs, her bare chest, her face crying in agony, her body curled into a helpless ball... it's overwhelming.

"BARBARAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!" you scream, as the straps restrain you from bursting.

If you've managed to survive Joker's torture ride, then you won the challenge.

No Caption Provided
Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Shawnbaby

This seems like it would be more at home in the RPG section

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By 202122
@Jokergeist: There's no way to tell what would happen in that kind of situation
nU_Kovak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nU_Kovak

No, I'd crack.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

Well.. I don't have a daughter.. rest is not a problem. But one thing will change if the scenario happens. No way Joker will get away if we meet again.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MonsterStomp

You and your daughter Barbara are having a pleasant evening at home. You are sitting in a couch and doing scrapbook work and Barbara brings you cocoa. *Knock! *Knock! Barbara answers the door--*BANG! Startled, you look up and see your daughter fly backwards and land at your feet, bleeding. The Joker walks into your house, along with two henchmen. The Joker just shot your daughter and invited himself into your home.. what do you do?

I reach down the right side of my couch and pull out a standard Gotham Police Department pistol and spray them mother effers with the entire clip.

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jokergeist

@202122 said:

That's why it's a challenge.

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

Well.. I don't have a daughter.. rest is not a problem. But one thing will change if the scenario happens. No way Joker will get away if we meet again.

Joker always gets away.

Hondo_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hondo_

@MonsterStomp said:

You and your daughter Barbara are having a pleasant evening at home. You are sitting in a couch and doing scrapbook work and Barbara brings you cocoa. *Knock! *Knock! Barbara answers the door--*BANG! Startled, you look up and see your daughter fly backwards and land at your feet, bleeding. The Joker walks into your house, along with two henchmen. The Joker just shot your daughter and invited himself into your home.. what do you do?

I reach down the right side of my couch and pull out a standard Gotham Police Department pistol and spray them mother effers with the entire clip.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Floopay

@Jokergeist:

Joker always gets away.

Sincerely,

No Caption Provided

Except in Frank Miller's the Dark Knight Returns.... :D

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Avatar image for soothing_sounds
Soothing_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Soothing_Sounds

This is one of those: "You don't know the answer until it actually happens" types of things. I want to say i would survive with my sanity still intact, kinda. I would probably be mad, hurt, confused, and maybe even scared, but insane? Who knows?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dondave

@MonsterStomp said:

QFT

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll drive the Joker sane.

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jokergeist

@Floopay:

DAMN YOU FLOOPS!

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@Jokergeist said:

@202122 said:

That's why it's a challenge.

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

Joker always gets away.

Sincerely,

No Caption Provided

No he doesn't. I'm not Batman. if someone threatens family, they Go down.

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jokergeist

@PrinceAragorn1:

Why would the Joker threaten your family when he could just blow their brains out, and yours too?

Avatar image for essentiallyheroes
EssentiallyHeroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I get my pal DP to annoy the Joker until he turns himself in just to get away.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@Jokergeist said:

@PrinceAragorn1:

Why would the Joker threaten your family when he could just blow their brains out, and yours too?

Sincerely,

No Caption Provided

Well,he's planning to blow their brains out means that he's a threat. He goes down before he does so. :)

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jokergeist

@PrinceAragorn1 said:

Well,he's planning to blow their brains out means that he's a threat. He goes down before he does so. :)

"Do I look like a guy with a plan?"

--The Joker

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#19  Edited By Joygirl

I don't crack. I'm too twisted as-is, I'd probably find a lot of things disturbing or horrible (such as the death of my hypothetical daughter) but I don't think it would be enough to drive me mad.

ArticulateT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ArticulateT

Is the challenge simply for our mental state, or are we capable of our real life skills as well?

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"So.... Jack,...how's Jeannie?"

Just another way to stomp.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#23  Edited By Joygirl

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I go insane in the prologue

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jokergeist

@ArticulateT said:

Is the challenge simply for our mental state, or are we capable of our real life skills as well?

In Chapter One you use your real life skills to try to get away from the Joker.

If you are unable to escape, then the Joker captures you and you move on to Chapter 2, which simply challenges your mental state.

Basically,

Chapter 1: Try to get away from Joker and his henchmen

Chapter 2-4: Try not to go crazy

brick909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By brick909

If this was the DC universe I would win because the Joker and I would be tight and I know he would just be pulling a practical joke. Then I would do the same to him. HEHE

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread.... o_0

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shawnbaby said:

This seems like it would be more at home in the RPG section

After one year and two months, I agree.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By AllStarSuperman

I found this a while ago I was gonna bump it after I read Killing Joke.... still haven't read Killing Joke.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Marionettegeist

I don't think most people would really go insane as easily as this. I mean, you may suffer from PTS afterwards, but you probably wouldn't completely lose your mind. Of course if Joker kept it up over the course of a week, or longer, then I'd probably go crazy. After the first three days, that is.

Avatar image for digitalshooter9
DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of people (including myself) probably doesn't find this as insane partially because they cannot relate to the situation as they do not have a daughter..

But if you actually think about this in a realistic perspective, if something like actually happened, you would most likely go dead insane..

I would for a fact...

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of people (including myself) probably doesn't find this as insane partially because they cannot relate to the situation as they do not have a daughter..

But if you actually think about this in a realistic perspective, if something like actually happened, you would most likely go dead insane..

I would for a fact...

Nah, you'd probably just get unbelievable mad/depressed, and go through the stages of grief. You might suffer from "temporary insanity" (how I love the legal terms) in the sense that you would do some very irrational things in order to avenge your daughter, but most people wouldn't completely lose any sense of rationality at all. They'd just be depressed; soul-crushingly depressed.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By those_eyes
No Caption Provided

I think it would be funny!

leonkarlen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just that, the jokes are killing me...

Cjdavis103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jokergeist:

Don't just stand there! The Joker just shot your daughter and invited himself into your home... What do you do?

I have a daughter?????? okay a bit young for that but I have knives in my general area where i start i grab one yell and charge eiter killing the clown and resucuing my daugter or draging the clown down to hell with me

Have you gone insane yet?

nope I use my knowledge of him to taunt him and keep him off balnce and i thearten to tell his minnions who Batman is ruinning his fun he will eiter kill me or leave me alone

Still sane? Have Joker's words gone to your head?

same strat as before i ruin his fun with my own attacks as long as i can fire back i have a very good shot

by this time the joker should be dead or i have ruined his fun at this point i just keep up the defience

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a daughter??????

Read the scenario guys. You're filling in Gordon's role, meaning you have a hypothetical daughter (named Barbara).

Shadowchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I lose first round since I was never sane to begin with. But the joker still dies cause I will shoot him between the eyes then turn on his henchmen.

Cjdavis103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers