#1 Posted by DragonGateAcer (5400 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by King Saturn (223841 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm...good battle dude. I think The Doctor has a shot to take down Thanos but it wont be easy by no means. Thanos has been shown to be damn near Invincible when he has prep time. This fight would be interesting though if they met in a random encounter.

#3 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

Tough choice.

It might come down to the Doctor showing up on Titan and breaking into Mentor's nursery and smothering Thanos as an infant... and you know he would if pressed.

#4 Posted by ChrisAngel (3955 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont know here.. the Doctor's a time lord and all.. but thanos is a pretty powerful individual, near godlike.. and with Death on his side.... I think I got to take Thanos here, as much as I like the Doctor.

#5 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to have to vote for the Doctor. Too much power.

#6 Posted by Ketch (327 posts) - - Show Bio

I see The Doctor as basically a plot device. Give him time to run his mouth and he'll find a way to win. That's his power. If it's a random encounter he'd most likely win if he got Thanos to talk with him instead of killing him outright, and there are plenty of reasons why that might happen. Thanos probably wouldn't see him as a threat, Thanos might see his intelligence or technology as something that could be useful to him, he might feel like running his own mouth, he might want to humor the little man, whatever the case may be. If it's prep, I see the Doctor winning (unless it's one-sided prep for Thanos) because aside from the whole time travel/kill you when you're born thing, he can rig up weapons out of garbage in seconds, so I think he could do a lot more damage if he ever spent some time on something or got proper resources.

#7 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

I havent watched the Doctor in a long time. Refresh my memory on the level of opponents he took out, if you have the time Ketch.

#8 Posted by Ketch (327 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos would be much better at this. The level as far as I can tell, varies a lot. He's gone up against enemies of all kinds and usually seems to do just enough to win in any scenario. He stops minor threats with the same amount of difficulty as galactic ones. Beings that have (or are in the process of) planetary takeover (which leaves him having to thwart all their plans, deal with their armies, send them back home or destroy them, make sure it can't happen again), random phenomenon, general villains (not interested in takeover but doing bad things anyway), personal enemies (The Master), god-beings, ancient and powerful creatures, reality warpers, and other things. This site has some of the latest Doctor's enemies on it. http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Tenth_Doctor_enemies

#9 Posted by Forever (4332 posts) - - Show Bio

Ketch says:

"Methos would be much better at this. The level as far as I can tell, varies a lot. He's gone up against enemies of all kinds and usually seems to do just enough to win in any scenario. He stops minor threats with the same amount of difficulty as galactic ones. Beings that have (or are in the process of) planetary takeover (which leaves him having to thwart all their plans, deal with their armies, send them back home or destroy them, make sure it can't happen again), random phenomenon, general villains (not interested in takeover but doing bad things anyway), personal enemies (The Master), god-beings, ancient and powerful creatures, reality warpers, and other things. This site has some of the latest Doctor's enemies on it.
" />http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Tenth_Doctor_enemies"

Excellent. Thanks, that'll be some good reading.

#10 Posted by iSHADOW (2269 posts) - - Show Bio

i never really got into doctor who but ive read some stuff about the doctor. Im really familiar with thanos on the other hand and hes immensely powerful so im not sure how the doctor would be able to defeat him . however, anyone can write a scenario in which an extremely powerful character is defeated by a much weaker foe.

ie. spiderman defeating firelord.

#11 Posted by Satyrquaze (4542 posts) - - Show Bio

iSHADOW says:

"i never really got into doctor who but ive read some stuff about the doctor. Im really familiar with thanos on the other hand and hes immensely powerful so im not sure how the doctor would be able to defeat him . however, anyone can write a scenario in which an extremely powerful character is defeated by a much weaker foe. ie. spiderman defeating firelord. "

Even the editors at Marvel admit that Spider-man v. Firelord was a bad idea.

But then they did Silver Surfer v. Black Panther not that long ago... which in my mind was worse.

#12 Posted by Ziggy (47 posts) - - Show Bio

I got to go with the Doctor because he is extremely smart and done great things against odds. I think it will close but not saying that Thanos can't win.

#13 Posted by DrEgonSpengler (512 posts) - - Show Bio

The Doctor!

#14 Posted by e3zombie (720 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the doctor blood-lusted? we have never seen him fully lusted and I think he could take out most of dc and marvel when he is.

#15 Posted by Baldy (5021 posts) - - Show Bio

I obviously know nothing about The Doctor, when I saw this thread I assumed it was spite.

#16 Posted by Pwok21 (2249 posts) - - Show Bio

@Baldy: That is because it is.

He destroyed two races more powerful than Thanos without flinching.

#17 Edited by JackKnight (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Thanos have either the Infinity gauntlet or Heart of the Universe in this fight?

If so then the Doctor has no chance.

If not then the Doctor (with enough prep) would win after a good fight.

#18 Posted by reikai (4116 posts) - - Show Bio

Doctor loses. Horribly. Thanos can kill him in an instant. It's not a contest. With prep, Thanos still wins. Thanos falls completely outside of the Doctor's experience. Talking only makes things worse as Thanos' greatest weapon is his Mind.

#19 Posted by Frocharocha (2233 posts) - - Show Bio

@pwok21 said:

@Baldy: That is because it is.

He destroyed two races more powerful than Thanos without flinching.

And Thanos fought guys who could just erase the entire Time Lords and Dalek races from existence. he has the frikking balls to argue with the Living Tribunal! Thanso is the greatest strategiest i know, he's easily compared to John Constantine who fouled the Presence to ressurect him.

#20 Posted by cliffrice (1015 posts) - - Show Bio

Doctor can pull it off But he will likely have a different face by the end of the encounter. I can see thanos entering a contact of intellects with the doctor. One of the few people capable of keeping up with thanos's mind.

#21 Posted by Jezer (3099 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Thanos have either the Infinity gauntlet or Heart of the Universe in this fight?

If so then the Doctor has no chance.

If not then the Doctor (with enough prep) would win after a good fight.

I never understood why people use prep one way, even when both characters are skilled with prep.

Like, I know people talk about the Doctor doing crazy stuff and overcoming crazy odds....against people that don't prep, right?

Thanos has done the same, but since he's not as weak as the Doctor, the insurmountable odds that he overcomes seem less insurmountable, so people act like its less impressive. But gaining infinite power, multiple times, is impressive regardless.

#22 Posted by NeonGameWave (7712 posts) - - Show Bio

The Doctor curbstomps.

#23 Edited by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

The Doctor doesn't kill, this limits his options. Thanos is practically moral-less, he could effectively hold the universe hostage or something like that.

#24 Edited by McHotcakes (439 posts) - - Show Bio

@godtriggerhulk: The Doctor has killed before. He just tries to avoid it whenever possible.

#25 Posted by reikai (4116 posts) - - Show Bio

Again, no reason to bump this, cause Doctor has no chance of winning. Thanos is smarter than he is. And Thanos will kill when he Chooses to kill. And those he does not choose to kill, he Removes.

Go read "Thanos Rising". It is a rather awesome Origin story for Thanos that started coming out. His mother tried to kill him right after he was born because she had some form of premonition that told her that he would one day kill her and everyone around her. As a boy Thanos was very gentle and highly intelligent, and he valued life. He didn't even want to dissect an animal during science class.

Things changed. A girl began to corrupt his thoughts, convinced him to seek the truth about himself, why he was different from the rest. Thanos is a scientist, he does not enjoy killing. He never wanted to kill. But when some of his classmates get killed by monstrous iguanas in a cave and he gets blamed for it? He takes up a knife, goes there, and slaughters the entire pack of them.

And still Thanos did not consider himself a killer nor desired to be, and though he denied he, a part of him enjoyed killing. Thanos as a young boy was so intelligent that none of his teachers had anything left to teach him, he'd gone so far beyond them he was noting things on the biology of creatures that the Titan Eternals hadn't discovered before.

They still don't even say how old Thanos is. The Titan Eternals were established around 750thousand years ago in the MU. Thanos was the 2nd son of Mentor who leads the Eternals. The best estimates anyone has about Thanos' age, range from 24thousand to 720thousand years old.