• 111 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (36433 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome to the first Comic Vine Battle of the Week! Every Monday I'll create a battle and you'll have until Friday morning to debate who will win and cast your vote! Please try your best to avoid making this a popularity contest. Leave bias at the door and cast your vote with an open and informed mind. Who you like more is totally irrelevant. This is all about who you think would legitimately win in a fight based on the following rules. First up, we have a battle between two extremely agile heroes: Daredevil and Nightwing!

While both are quite skilled and nimble, they each bring a different advantage to the table. Grayson has superior gear. Sure, Daredevil's billy clubs can be used as a staff or grappling line, but Grayson's escrima sticks can produce electric attacks and he also has a variety of other gear on him, including explosives and even sonics. It's easy to assume sonics grant Grayson an immediate victory, but keep in mind they're in character and this is a random encounter. The first Robin is very unlikely to just immediately use a sonic. Meanwhile, Daredevil's radar hugely enhances his senses and his reflexes are absolutely in the superhuman range. There have been plenty of times where he's been able to effortlessly deflect or even cut bullets. And while both are very skilled, Murdock has shown a more frequent use of nerve strikes.

Comic Vine Battle of the Week Rules:

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a totally random encounter. This means neither character has knowledge on the other in this case.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated and at night. Assume they start roughly 30 feet apart.
  • Even if they're both heroes, this won't be a match that ends in talking. Both have the objective to defeat the other character.

CLICK HERE TO CAST YOUR VOTE!

Voting will remain open until this Friday morning. A new article with the results and the staff's opinions will go on the homepage shortly after. Additionally, I'll check out the debate and include key arguments from users! Lastly, I'll do my best to have writers and artists chime in. I suspect they'll be too busy most of the time, but we may get lucky every now and then! Viners, it's understandable that debates over "who would win?" can get heated, but please try to keep the debates polite and informative.

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. This is the part where he shamelessly plugs his Google+ and Twitter page in hopes of getting a new follower or two.

Staff
#1 Edited by redhood21 (774 posts) - - Show Bio

this is a close one...i think dare devil in the end.. DONT ASK WHY!

#2 Posted by jashro44 (19756 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil takes it. He has better reflexes and a better track record.

#3 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1374 posts) - - Show Bio

this is so hard!!!!

#4 Posted by daredevil21134 (10926 posts) - - Show Bio

DD owns

#5 Posted by Mucklefluga (2523 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing, he was trained by superior characters e.g. Bruce

#6 Edited by Chibio (920 posts) - - Show Bio

I just voted for Daredevil and and I have to say that I made a mistake.

I think that Nightwing is the better fighter, has a clear advantage thanks to his superior gadgets and that he is also more experienced, due to him facing more metahumans.

#7 Posted by Trevel8182 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

#8 Edited by tparks (4367 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really looking forward to these battles of the week. It's really nice that we will see a numbered result with a set time-frame. Also, great inaugural battle for the weekly posts!

By the way, I gave it to DD.

#9 Posted by k4tzm4n (36433 posts) - - Show Bio

@tparks said:

I'm really looking forward to these battles of the week. It's really nice that we will see a numbered result with a set time-frame. Also, great inaugural battle for the weekly posts!

By the way, I gave it to DD.

Happy to hear it! :D

Staff
#10 Posted by Z3RO180 (6324 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: you forgot the most important part of a battle and that is the style of the costumes. I mean nightwing costume is awesome but just look at daredevil rocking the red look.

#11 Posted by Shika1Dude (111 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Nightwing has the edge over Daredevil due to the fact that Nightwing doesn't have a weakness nor advantage in this battle. DD may have superior reflexes and hearing etc, but if he is facing someone equally or maybe smarter than him, this puts him at an disadvantage. I believe Nightwing is a better combatant and more athletic than DD

#12 Posted by kidman560 (7577 posts) - - Show Bio

DD takes becuase he has better combat training the nightwing does (questionable) and his reaction time is better

#13 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by Sakurafire (60 posts) - - Show Bio

This is my dream match-up. Better than Wolverine/Batman.

Daredevil and Nightwing have very similar fighting styles, as they both rely on acrobatics. Nightwing has more gadgets, but Daredevil has a special ability that allows for 360° awareness. I don't think it would take Nightwing very long to figure out Daredevil's advantage and use a Sonic Batarang to take him out. Daredevil is a smart fighter with lots of experience and was trained by the best, but Nightwing was trained by Batman.

My verdict is that it would be very close, with the advantage going toward Nightwing. More than likely the battle would end in a draw, then they would kick back a few at a bar somewhere.

#15 Posted by butters911 (251 posts) - - Show Bio

DD takes this. Nightwing is good, but I don't think he'll be able to cope with DD for long. Matt can be brutal.

#16 Edited by Strider92 (16131 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a very close fight with either having a good chance of taking on the other and wining however I would give a small majority to Daredevil. That radar sense gives him an advantage. Yes Grayson has the gear however fighting projectiles is not something DD is unaccustomed too (Bullseye anyone?). Without prep Grayson would be unaware of Matt's condition and something like a sonic-batarang would not be his instant go-to gear he's more likely to use other projectiles before he even thinks of using something like that. With knowledge of DD's abilities he would take a few more wins but without that I see Matt having the advantage and therefore taking a majority.

#17 Edited by Nightwing_Beyond (153 posts) - - Show Bio

Dick Grayson is the most agile combatant in the DC Universe, and HE WAS TRAINED BY BATMAN (right there it's game over). He has the capability to improvise and not plan ahead to achieve victory (a skill that even his mentor isn't as keen on). He dawned the cowl and carried the weight of being Batman showing how far he's come from being a sidekick skill-wise. He has mastered a multitude of martial arts and integrates extereme acrobatics and a variety of gadgets into his combat. In newer incarnations, Nightwing's escrima sticks are much more advanced than Daredevil's batons often incorporating electricity. Nightwing (a human with no powers) has faced and defeated opponents with a variety of superhuman abilities (some with far more domineering powers than Daredevil). With the conditions set in this fight, it would come down to a close quarters brawl after a few theatrics with wingdings and baton throwing. If they start 30 meters apart, Nightwing is the only one that even has weapons outfitted for mid-long range combat (wingdings, darts, batgrapple, electric burts from escrima, etc.). Although this voting will probably come down to a popularity contest, a fight with these perameters with no prep for either would go to Dick Grayson, the hero who prefers to act on the fly. In this case, the lack of prior knowledge is what seals the deal for Nightwing.

Oh and Nightwing has sonics. He would eventually use them if not immediatly. Flawless Victory at that point but, that's no fun.

#18 Edited by mcbean (292 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW this vs is a hard one but I think I'll give it to Nightwing by a hair

#19 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil wins.

#20 Posted by mcbean (292 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by AllStarSuperman (20198 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing wins, see 19 and 20. His suit takes big bullets. He can fight blind. He was fast enough to jump into a crashing helicopter. Grab the 2 pilots and jump out. He took down a giant demon in 5. And he has an incredible pain tolerance 8-9. He also can read body language. Instantly knowing DD is blind. NW also has way better tech.

#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32847 posts) - - Show Bio

@chibio: How has he face more metahumans?

#23 Posted by SuperJedi17 (299 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing.Dick's got agility that is barely even halfway matched,he's got ranged gear,he could always get Matt with a sonic weapon,even by accident,to just distract him as set-up for another attack.Dick wins,imo.at least.

#24 Posted by Shika1Dude (111 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: His abilities can be a disadvantage, like he has heightened hearing, so if you use an excessive amount of sound, it can disorient him. Same with smell, an excess amount will mess him up. This gives Nightwing an edge over him I think

#25 Posted by Scarlet_Spider_Forever (104 posts) - - Show Bio

HOW DARE YOU MAKE ME CHOOSE! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

#26 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing wins, see 19 and 20. His suit takes big bullets. He can fight blind. He was fast enough to jump into a crashing helicopter. Grab the 2 pilots and jump out. He took down a giant demon in 5. And he has an incredible pain tolerance 8-9. He also can read body language. Instantly knowing DD is blind. NW also has way better tech.

i'll bite. how does he know that? instantly no less.

#27 Edited by spiderbuck (2449 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh and Nightwing has sonics. He would eventually use them if not immediatly. Flawless Victory at that point but, that's no fun.

Agreed. Nightwing takes this.

#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32847 posts) - - Show Bio

Who you like more is totally irrelevant.

Pepole seem to have forgot this already

#29 Posted by k4tzm4n (36433 posts) - - Show Bio

HOW DARE YOU MAKE ME CHOOSE! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

Hey man, there's a stalemate option! :)

Staff
#30 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@shika1dude: where would he get the sonics? does he have them on him at all times? i dont remember him ever using them.

#31 Posted by Chaos Burn (1773 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil - tough match but both are arguably equal in agility/acrobatics and combat training, but Daredevil's radar sense is one advantage Nightwing can't match

#32 Posted by Nightwing_Beyond (153 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: He has an arsenal similar to Batman's. Through his many different costumes, Nightwing keeps his gear in different areas and sometimes writers integrate his gear into his escrima sticks or he pulls them out of thin air. He's used sonic grenades before on henchmen I believe but, I couldn't tell you when exactly since it wasn't a memorable fight. Nightwing would likely have non-lethal escape/stun weapons on him at all times to get out of a sticky situation to not be forced into the position of using lethal force.

#33 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5939 posts) - - Show Bio

I say Nightwing

#35 Edited by Nightwing_Beyond (153 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: They are yet, in the New 52, he's never had a need to use them yet. Sonic tech is something commonly used in the Batfamily for stun effects or summoning bats. He's more likely to have at least sonic grenades in his arsenal. They're rarely used against anything other than thugs because it wouldn't give atrists the opportinuty to show off escrima fighting with Nightwing. The outcome would be similar to the takedown Nightwing did on Bart Allen in Young Justice. It would be too quick and boring in a comic book battle hence, why sonics while in his constant arsenal, are rarely used.

#36 Edited by Dbennett6684 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta go with daredevil. If this were bruce and DD, then bruce, but I'd say matt over dick.

#37 Edited by Cassius_Knightfall (7392 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil with standard gear he edges it. With sonics Dick wins

#38 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2116 posts) - - Show Bio

daredevil

#39 Edited by God_Spawn (37355 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil. He's already shown better reflexes, close agility feats, better strength feats IMO, and DD's shown better skill feats. If you want to compare to top tier fighters so bad, Nightwing has been wrecked twice by Bane. He couldn't even touch Bruce when Bruce didn't want him to. And Nightwing has been given tough fights from Jason Todd. Whereas Daredevil has given Captain America good fights, Iron Fist good fights IIRC, and given Wolverine a good fight. People seem to think just because Dick was trained by Batman seems to make people believe that they are the cream of the crop when it comes to skilled fighting just because of that which is completely false. By that logic, Tim Drake would be in the top of DC and Nightwing isn't in there either. Nightwing does not always resort to his gear. Getting space from DD will be extremely difficult considering the radar sense will keep him one step ahead of Dick in terms of action and reaction. Just because Nightwing has something does not mean he will use it.

#40 Posted by laflux (14252 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a very close fight with either having a good chance of taking on the other and wining however I would give a small majority to Daredevil. That radar sense gives him an advantage. Yes Grayson has the gear however fighting projectiles is not something DD is unaccustomed too (Bullseye anyone?). Without prep Grayson would be unaware of Matt's condition and something like a sonic-batarang would not be his instant go-to gear he's more likely to use other projectiles before he even thinks of using something like that. With knowledge of DD's abilities he would take a few more wins but without that I see Matt having the advantage and therefore taking a majority.

@jashro44 said:

Daredevil takes it. He has better reflexes and a better track record.

#41 Edited by ravisher (673 posts) - - Show Bio

l love dick(wait?)

but i gotta go with daredevil

#42 Posted by Tohoma (1380 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I have to go with Nightwing.

#43 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

i voted for nightwing.

#44 Posted by Chibio (920 posts) - - Show Bio

He was the leader of the Teen Titans as Nightwing and he was the Justice League leader as Batman for a short while. They have more than enough metahumans as opponents. Other than that he went toe on toe with Deathstroke and Blockbuster. He even faced an empowered Batman once all by himself and managed to hurt him. Of course he didn't stand a real chance, but he knew what he was doing at that point.

I'm not that familiar with Daredevil, but I don't recall him doing all too much against skilled metahuman-threats. Inform me if I'm wrong, I'm curious about Daredevil.

#45 Posted by Cloverstone (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing used sonics in the new52 against his childhood friend I believe

#46 Edited by edge007 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

DD. While I think Bruce can take DD, Stick can definitely take Bruce. While both Matt and Dick are great students, Stick was a better teacher.

#47 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Grayson

#48 Edited by VeganDiet (984 posts) - - Show Bio

Gonna go with Daredevil. He's consistently acquitted himself well against the top tier fighters of Marvel and is, as far as I know, the only person to have a win against a near-morals off Spider-man.

#49 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32847 posts) - - Show Bio

@chibio said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

He was the leader of the Teen Titans as Nightwing and he was the Justice League leader as Batman for a short while. They have more than enough metahumans as opponents. Other than that he went toe on toe with Deathstroke and Blockbuster. He even faced an empowered Batman once all by himself and managed to hurt him. Of course he didn't stand a real chance, but he knew what he was doing at that point.

I'm not that familiar with Daredevil, but I don't recall him doing all too much against skilled metahuman-threats. Inform me if I'm wrong, I'm curious about Daredevil.

DD has fought just as many metahumans as Dick has, he's gone up against Captain America, Wolverine, Bruiser, Bushwacker, Kraven the Hunter, Kingpin, Mr Hyde and even squared off with the Hulk at one time.

#50 Posted by DigitalShooter9 (1487 posts) - - Show Bio

They are both similar, if this was a hand to hand fist fight, daredevil would have been slightly in advantage but assuming that this is a gadget fight, nightwing walks away victorious. Here are the reasons.

1. Nightwing can use his sticks to shock DD which would damage his radar sense.

2.Nightwing is more agile and brutal with his sticks. (He even beat bane)

3. As he is trained by batman, he has better martial techniques and ofcourse better tech.

So IMO NW takes this but I am sure DD wont let him go without making him bleed a little.