The Battles Bible - MANDATORY READING BEFORE POSTING!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

We all love the battles thread, but unfortunately it's populated with a number of terrible matches. Be it a complete lack of balance or too much to logically debate about, a good deal of the threads here aren't anything to write home about. So Viners, I plead to you, think these questions over before making a thread. I present to you: The Battles Bible.

Creating a thread

• Is it honestly a fair match? Can you see either combatant winning or are you legitimately torn on who the clear winner is? If not, don't make it.
  • Does the match need a TON of rules to make it remotely fair? If so, don't make it.
  • Is the match between two fairly popular characters? It's likely going to be a dupe, so PLEASE search for it first (if the function on the site doesn't work, use google!). If so, don't make it. Because honestly, the last thing this place needs is ANOTHER Cap vs Batman or Hulk vs Superman.
  • The search function is found on the upper right hand part of the page. Obviously in this case you'll want to select "Battles" under the board drop down and then try searching for the match (ie Hulk vs Superman or Superman vs Hulk). If for some reason this option isn't working, open google or whichever search engine you commonly use. Then, type "comicvine" and after it, the match idea. For example "comicvine Superman vs Hulk" or "comicvine Hulk vs Superman."
  • Do people know about the character you're involving? If he/she/it is very obscure, provide extra details. We all love to learn about new characters, so share with us your knowledge, and if possible, scans.
  • Does your match have more than 14 characters going at it? Odds are this is far too complex and there are way too many variables (not to mention the difficulty in properly balancing such a match). Please try to avoid these (here's looking at you, vague X-Men vs JL threads).
  • Does your match have details? Are the characters current or classic versions? Do they have their standard weapons? Where are they fighting? How far apart do they begin? Are they visible? Are they in character?
  • Spice up your thread with some images. Provide a picture of the characters involved and location if possible.

Posting in a thread

• Is an old thread a clear spite match and you're bumping it just to point that out? Don't post, just flag it and a mod will likely lock it.
  • Is a new thread a clear spite match and you're posting just to point out it's a mismatch? That's fine, but flag it, too.
  • Do you really want to spend your time on Comicvine just making a series of posts that are "name wins?" If you think a character wins, elaborate a bit. What allows them to win? Superior power? Superior skill? Have they fought in the comics? Recall any feats that help in comics? Help make threads fun again, drop a knowledge bomb and go cold turkey on the "name wins" posts.
  • Is someone being a total jerk in a thread? Don't engage them, flag the post and let a moderator handle it. I know it's tough to resist feeding the trolls, but do your best!
  • Throw away your personal bias. I love Gambit, but I'm not going to say "Gambit, duh!" in Gambit vs Hulk. There's no shame in a character you love losing a battle.
  • Don't disrespect other characters by only using low end feats. Perfect example: Deadpool getting knocked out by the large hot dog. Come on, we know it takes more than that to down him, so don't try to get away with only downplaying the character on the opposite side of your argument. Take into account all feats and make your own logical conclusion on their levels. The very same applies to high end feats as well. Don't spam "Spidey beat Firelord, therefore he beats anyone less than Firelord!" You'll get no respect with that silliness.
  • Don't be stubborn and egotistical. No matter how much we know, there's always someone out there that knows more about something else. These debates aren't about winning, they're about learning and sharing your knowledge. Don't foolishly stand by your original stance just because you don't want to "lose." That's nonsense. It far more respectable to admit you were wrong on something than to drag it out.
  • Matches are always assuming the characters face off 10 different times. Not in a row, just what would happen if the encounter took place 10 times. Who wins the majority of that is what's important and why.
  • Take note of the date a post was made. If you see something you disagree with and feel like replying, take a moment to look at the date. It could be years old and that person has changed their mind or is possibly even no longer active. Continue through the thread and join the current convos instead of jumping in the time machine and going back in time.
  • If you're going to bump a very old thread, bring something new to the table. It's rather silly to bump something like "Deadpool vs Wolverine" with a post that only says "Deadpool" if it has been idle for over a year. I assure you, that's not changing any minds.
  • Can you really say a character wins if you know nothing about the other one or your knowledge is just limited to some scans you've seen tossed around? Take advantage of the community's knowledge and ask questions before posting about who you think would win. Otherwise, you're just going to get called out on it and look foolish. You don't want that, right?

Have another important rule you'd like to share? Post it and I'll update the OP!

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
I'm moving this to the battles section, since it's much more relevant there.
Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Shawnbaby

This should almost be stickied. 

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Morpheus_: Awesome, thanks. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post it in battles.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Silver2467
@k4tzm4n: Since I find this relevant: When are you planning on responding to the PM message I sent you? Because in it, I suggested an intriguing battle.
morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@Shawnbaby said:
And as of now, it is.
Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shawnbaby
@Morpheus_ said:

@Shawnbaby said:

And as of now, it is.
Nice. Now if we can only get people to Actually read it before they post.
Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By Supreme Marvel

You know all the n00bs (initially wrote b00bs) never read the battle rules. Most of them are kids and most of them think Hulk is the strongest there is. Almost all of them don't read the battle rules, although most of the people on the site have never read the rules anyway.

Morpheus_ for the win. :P

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Morpheus_: @Shawnbaby: Thank you.

@Silver2467: Sorry, man, I tend to lose track of checking my inbox :(

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@Supreme Marvel said:

I have my moments.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Silver2467
@k4tzm4n: No problem. Whenever you reply, I think you will like the idea, and in accordance with this thread's point, it will improve the forum quality to a degree. 

And great thread, by the way.
pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pooty

@Supreme Marvel: That's true. Most have not. Most people(myself included) only look at the rules AFTER our thread has been locked etc. Hell, i only looked at this one because i thought it was Samson vs Moses or something. But this one is so short and precise that if you don't take the time to read this, you don't belong here.

@k4tzm4n: good summary

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By weaponxx

Well said!

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Supreme Marvel

To bad when creating a battle we don't have a link to these threads in big bold text. Does the list of battles that may have already been created still appear underneath the intended battle thread a person creates still?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Supreme Marvel: I updated the title so hopefully it'll catch more eyes.

@weaponx: @pooty: @Silver2467: Thank you.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@k4tzm4n: That's better. Next new battle takes place that I see is getting directed here.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jeanroygrant

@weaponx said:

Well said!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@k4tzm4n said:

• Do you really want to spend your time on Comicvine just making a series of posts that are "name wins?" If you think a character wins, elaborate a bit. What allows them to win? Superior power? Superior skill? Have they fought in the comics? Recall any feats that help in comics? Help make threads fun again, drop a knowledge bomb and go cold turkey on the "name wins" posts.

I'm lazy; sue me.

Though I actually will back it up if I'm asked - unless it's just really, really obvious.

Suggestion: you should talk about feats and making up things about characters.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@jeanroygrant: Thank you.

@JediXMan: Excellent suggestion. I'll add a tab and highlight it for you when I'm done.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@JediXMan: Updated!

• Throw away your personal bias. I love Gambit, but I'm not going to say "Gambit, duh!" in Gambit vs Hulk. There's no shame in a character you love losing a battle.
  • Don't disrespect other characters by only using low end feats. Perfect example: Deadpool getting knocked out by the large hot dog. Come on, we know it takes more than that to down him, so don't try to get away with only downplaying the character on the opposite side of your argument. Take into account all feats and make your own logical conclusion on their levels.
  • Don't be stubborn and egotistical. No matter how much we know, there's always someone out there that knows more about something else. These debates aren't about winning, they're about learning and sharing your knowledge. Don't foolishly stand by your original stance just because you don't want to "lose." That's nonsense. It far more respectable to admit you were wrong on something than to drag it out.
Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shawnbaby
@k4tzm4n said:

@JediXMan: Updated!

• Don't disrespect other characters by only using low end feats. Perfect example: Deadpool getting knocked out by the large hot dog. Come on, we know it takes more than that to down him, so don't try to get away with only downplaying the character on the opposite side of your argument. Take into account all feats and make your own logical conclusion on their levels.
These are worthy indeed
TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By TifaLockhart

Great job. I can think of something else though: what about using double standards and/or cherry-picking highend showings exclusively?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@The_Last_Son_of_Czarnia: Thank you.

Manipulating feats is in there:

Don't disrespect other characters by only using low end feats. Perfect example: Deadpool getting knocked out by the large hot dog. Come on, we know it takes more than that to down him, so don't try to get away with only downplaying the character on the opposite side of your argument. Take into account all feats and make your own logical conclusion on their levels.
pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pooty

@The_Last_Son_of_Czarnia: Give an example of a double standard so i can see if we are thinking of the same thing?

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TifaLockhart

@pooty: "There's no proof Superman was using his superspeed against Lobo." "Thor hit Iron Man, who is faster than Wolverine, so Wolverine being faster than Thor doesn't count."

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@The_Last_Son_of_Czarnia: Yeah, that kind of ties in with over-abusing A-B-C logic. I was going to add something for that eventually.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Saren

k4tz has ascended.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@CitizenBane: Would you like to be the founding member of the church of k4tz?

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By acer51

Helpfull i didn't know we were supposed to grade with a 1/10 scale.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By Erik

@k4tzm4n:

Gambit could beat Hulk.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Shawnbaby
@Erik said:

@k4tzm4n:

Gambit could beat Hulk.

This is joke, right? You is just having the fun with us?
TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TifaLockhart

In fiction, Gambit could beat the Hulk. I don't think it's bloody likely though.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

If this legitimately turns into a Gambit vs Hulk discussion then you're spitting on the entire point of this thread :(

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By Erik

@Shawnbaby said:

@Erik said:

@k4tzm4n:

Gambit could beat Hulk.

The better question should be, "How can Hulk realistically win?".

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Erik said:

@Shawnbaby said:

@Erik said:

@k4tzm4n:

Gambit could beat Hulk.

The better question should be, "How can Hulk realistically win?".

I beg of you, stop this before it turns into an avalanche. Take this silliness to the appropriate thread:

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/gambit-vs-hulk/1735/

(which should promptly be locked btw, lol)

thehighchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By thehighchild

yea thnx, i also noticed a flood of pointless matches to debate about ty for letting them know that they are being noticed lol

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By beatboks1

@k4tzm4n:

I'd add something about making assumptions on levels based on respect threads solely. Or at least using scans from respect threads if your not sure of the context. The number of times i've seen scans offered to "support" one side of an argument that when taken into context actually support the other is amazing.

Also make allowances for possible varying content (from what you think) based on cultural and language differences. I've been guilty a few times of getting a little miffed over something that was merely misunderstanding. It's not always easy to tell sarcasm on the net and it is a World Wide W, so you may not be conversing with someone who is native to your own tongue.

Oh and on the balancing of feats point I'd add a little thing about High end feats that are inconsistent with the majority and what qualified them

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By Static Shock

Just like the Battle Forum Rules, watch how new users will easily ignore this.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Silver2467

Not a huge epidemic or anything, but you might remark on not directly responding to posts made years ago. It can be tiresome when users bump threads by replying to old posts, and it can be equally as tiresome when you suddenly have a message in your inbox about a reply to something you said back in the day.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@Silver2467 said:

Not a huge epidemic or anything, but you might remark on not directly responding to posts made years ago. It can be tiresome when users bump threads by replying to old posts, and it can be equally as tiresome when you suddenly have a message in your inbox about a reply to something you said back in the day.

Agreed. I hate seeing a battle with many pages, some one comes in with a name for the victor and adds nothing to the battle.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#40  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I think these are the most important rules, even some Mods need to remember theses 

• Throw away your personal bias. I love Gambit, but I'm not going to say "Gambit, duh!" in Gambit vs Hulk. There's no shame in a character you love losing a battle.
    Harddrivexxii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Harddrivexxii

@k4tzm4n: Much respect - well written. The standard we should all follow.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Harddrivexxii: Thank you!

CaptainRodgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CaptainRodgers

@k4tzm4n said:

k4tz using this example = instant victory in my eyes .

As a self-confessed DP fanboy myself , you would not believe how annoying it is when people bring this up or any DP showing post Daniel Way taking over .

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By pooty

@spiderbat87 said:

I think these are the most important rules, even some Mods need to remember theses
  • even some Mods(and others) need to remember these.

Don't be stubborn and egotistical

Don't foolishly stand by your original stance just because you don't want to "lose

admit you were wrong on something

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Supreme Marvel said:

@Silver2467 said:

Agreed. I hate seeing a battle with many pages, some one comes in with a name for the victor and adds nothing to the battle.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's incredibly irritating to see especially due to the reason that new users just want a bigger post count.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@Supreme Marvel said:

You know all the n00bs (initially wrote b00bs) never read the battle rules. Most of them are kids and most of them think Hulk is the strongest there is. Almost all of them don't read the battle rules, although most of the people on the site have never read the rules anyway.

...................................REEEEALLY?!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#47  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @White Mage said:

@Supreme Marvel said:

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered the possibility.

I even made a thread about it.
    WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@JediXMan said:

@White Mage said:

@Supreme Marvel said:

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered the possibility.

I even made a thread about it.

LMAO

I was a kid when I joined this site. That's why I was sensitive about revealing my age. What can I say, my wisdom/wit/language/ are beyond my years. However, these people are far too cray cray for me to think of kids...........I feel that they are trolling adults.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By slimj87d

I think we have way too many stickies for rules and advice. Maybe we should make this the most up to date fact and edit the OP and combining the other ones. With headers of course.

Main Header

Header

Sub header

Description

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
    texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By texasdeathmatch