• 71 results
#1 Edited by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

The Battle Dictionary is mainly for newcomers. It will have all the terms and initials that are commonly seen on the forum, along with their meanings of course. I believe this will help many newcomers.

1. General terms and initials:

A:

• AFAIK: As Far As I Know.

B:

• BAMF: Badass Motherf*****.
  • BFD: Battlefield Destruction. Winning a fight via destroying the area where a fight takes place. For example: In a fight that takes place on Planet Earth, busting the planet would be BFD.
  • BFR: Battlefield Removal. Winning a fight via removing the opponent from the battlefield. For example: Superman throwing his opponent into the sun would be BFR.
  • Bias: Preferance of a certain character over another that clouds one's judgement in a fight between those two characters.
  • BL: Bloodlust/Bloodlusted. When a character uses the full extent of his/her abilities in a fight and goes straight for the kill.
  • BS: Bulls***.
  • _Buster: A character or a force that can destroy a [fill in the blank]. For example: Thor is a planet-buster.

C:

• CAV: Challenge a Viner. A friendly strategic debate between two users in Comic Vine, each representing a different character/team in a fight.
  • CIS: Character Induced Stupidity. Describes a situation where a character behaves out of his/her typical personality, or when a character is not using the full extent of his/her abilities (due to morals, underestimating the opponent, or any other reason). For example: Hulk beating Thor is CIS, since Thor is holding back.

E:

• EoS: End of Series.

F:

• Feat: An achievement that shows a character's skills and abilities.
  • FFS: For F***'s Sake.
  • FPS: Feet Per Second.
  • FTL: Faster Than Light.
  • FTW: For the Win.

G:

• Gauntlet: A series of tasks/objectives to be preformed by a character.
  • GG: Good Game.

H:

• H2H: Hand-to-hand, unarmed combat.

I:

• IDC: I Don't Care.
  • IDK: I Don't Know.
  • IIRC: If I Recall Correctly.
  • IMHO: In My Honest Opinion.
  • IMO: In My Opinion.

J:

• JK: Just Kidding.
  • Jobber: A character with many low-end feats. For example: Killer Croc.

K:

• KO: Knockout.

M:

• Mindr*pe: Describes a situation where one character wins a fight by telepathically assaulting the other character.
  • Morals off: Morals off means that a character does not hold back and can do whatever it takes to win. For example: Superman with morals off would use the full extent of his speed, strength, etc in a fight, and will be able to kill if he needs to.
  • Morals on: Morals on means that a character would not use the full extent of his/her abilities and would not go for the kill (given that said character has morals in the first place). For example: Superman with morals on would not use his full strength and speed when fighting someone else and will not kill no matter what.

N:

• NLF: No Limit Fallacy.

O:

• OOC: Out of Character. Describes a situation where a character does something that is not typical for him/her to do. For example: Batman killing a man is out of character, since Batman never kills anyone.
  • Omnipotent: A being that can do anything.
  • Omnipresent: A being that is everywhere at the same time.
  • Omniscient: A being that is all-knowing.
  • OP: Original Poster/Original Post. The user who created the thread/the very first post in the thread.
    • Alternatively: Over Powered. Describes a characters which is unbeatable or nigh-unbeatable.

P:

• PIS: Plot Induced Stupidity. Describes a situation where something that should not happen logically, happens for the sake of the plot. For example: Two-Face beating Batman in a fight is PIS, since Batman is obviously far more skilled than Two-Face.
  • PM: Private Message.
  • Pre-Crisis: A version of DC characters from before "Crisis on Infinite Earths".
  • Pre-Flashpoinf/Pre-52/Post Crisis: A version of DC characters from after "Crisis on Infinite Earths" and before "Flashpoint".
  • Prep: The amount of time a character is given to prepare for a fight. The nature of the prep time varies from one thread to another.

Q:

• QFT: Quoted for Truth.

S:

• Scan: A picture taken from a comic book/manga.
  • SMH: Shaking My Head.
  • Solo: When a character can defeat another character or a group of other characters by himself/herself. For example: The Flash solos The Bat-Family.
  • Speedblitz: Describes a situation where a character attacks and beats another character too fast for his/her opponent to react.
  • Spite: A mismatch created for the purpose of making a certain character look bad. For example: Green Arrow VS Green Lantern thread is a spite thread meant to make Green Arrow look bad, since he obviously loses.
  • Stalemate: Standstill, tie. When neither character in a fight can beat the other, or when they're equal in skill. For Example: The Flash VS Ghost Rider would be a stalemate, since The Flash can dodge all of Ghost Rider's attacks but he cannot harm him. Batman VS Captain America in a hand-to-hand fight would be a stalemate since they possess equal skill.
  • Stomp: Describes a situation where one character beats another with unfair ease. For example: Spiderman stomps Captain America. Other commonly used terms like "Curbstomp", "Murderstomp", ROFLstomp", and any other word that ends with "stomp" have the same meaning, but are usually used to describe more extreme cases. For example: Doomsday curbstomps Batman.

T:

• TBH: To Be Honest.
  • Tele-cut: Teleporting an opponent's body part away, injuring them severely and possibly killing them (depends on the body part of course).
  • Tele-Drop: Teleporting someone into a great height, making them fall to their deaths.
  • Tele-Frag: Teleporting something into someone, or someone into something, killing them instantly.
  • Timeskip: An off-panel/off-screen period of time in which characters have trained and honed their abilities and skills. For example: One Piece characters.
  • TK: Telekinesis.
  • TP: Telepathy.

W:

• WIS: Writer Induced Stupidity. Describes a situation where something that is obviously impossible happens due to the writer being ignorant, stupid or really bad. For example: Red Hulk punching The Watcher in the face is WIS, since the extremely large difference between the two is more than obvious and such a feat cannot be explained or justified in any way whatsoever.

123:

• _/10: The number of times out of 10 that one character would beat another. For example: X beats Y 7/10, means X would beat Y in 7 out of 10 fights (which means 70% of the times).
  • _ tonner: How many tons a character can lift at his/her best. For example: Namor is a 100 tonner. Killer Croc is a 5 tonner.

2. Characters, powers, story arcs, items, etc:

*Character's initials may vary depending on context. For example: DD can stand for either Daredevil or Doomsday, DS can stand for either Deathstroke or Darkseid, etc. I will write up the ones that are, according to my experience, most common.

A:

• AvX: Avengers VS X-Men.

B:

• BA: Black Adam.
  • BB: Blue Beetle.
    • Alternatively: Black Bolt.
  • Big G: Galactus.
    • Alternatively: Godzilla.
  • BP: Black Panther.
  • BRB: Beta Ray Bill.

C:

• COIE: Crisis on Infinite Earths.
  • ConJob: John Constantine (a nickname given to him due to him being a con man).
  • Cyc/Cyke: Cyclops.

D:

• DCU: DC Universe.
  • DD: Daredevil.
    • Alternatively: Doomsday.
  • DP: Deadpool.
  • DS: Deathstroke.
    • Alternatively: Darkseid.
  • Doc Ock: Doctor Octopus.

E:

• EA: Entropy Aegis (Steel).

F:

• FF: Fantastic Four.
  • FoF/FotF: First of the Fallen.

G:

• GA: Green Arrow.
  • GEB: Great Evil Beast.
  • GL: Green Lantern.
  • GotG: Guardians of the Galaxy.
  • GotU: Guardians of the Universe.
  • GR: Ghost Rider.
  • GST: God Swamp Thing.

H:

• HoM: House of M.
    • Alternatively: House of Mystery.
  • HotU: Heart of the Universe.

I:

• IG: Infinity Gauntlet.
  • IM: Iron Man.
  • IMP: Infinite Mass Punch (The Flash).
  • IW: Invisible Woman.

J:

• JL: Justice League.
  • JLA: Justice League of America.
  • JLD: Justice League Dark.
  • JLI: Justice League International.
  • JLU: Justice League Unlimited (animated TV series).
  • JonCon: John Constantine.
  • JPV: Jean Paul Valley (Azrael).
  • JSA: Justice Society of America.

K:

• KC: Kingdom Come.
  • KF: Knightfall (Batman story arc).
  • KotD: King of the Dead (Black Panther).

L:

• Loebforce: Rediculous, illogical feats pulled off by a character (mostly Red Hulk) when written by Jeph Loeb. Perfect example of WIS.
  • LT: (The) Living Tribunal.

M:

• MCU: Marvel's Cinematic Universe.
  • MGS: Metal Gear Solid.
  • MM: Mirror Master.
  • MMH: Martian Manhunter.
  • MU: Marvel Universe.

N:

• NML: No-Man's Land (Batman story arc).
  • NW: Nightwing.

O:

• OF: Odin Force.

P:

• PF: Phoenix Force.
  • PRB: Pre-Retcon Beyonder.

R:

• RKT: Rune King Thor.
  • Rulk: Red Hulk (accordingly, She-Rulk is Red She-Hulk).

S:

• SCW: (The) Sinestro Corps War (Green Lantern story arc).
  • SBP: Superboy Prime.
  • Speedsteal: One of The Flash's most powerful (and therefore rarely used) abilities. The Flash "steals the speed" of his opponent, essentially immobilizing him.
  • SpOck: Spider-Ock (Superior Spiderman).
  • SP1M/SMP1M: Superman Prime One Million.
  • SS: Silver Surfer.
    • Alternatively: Solid Snake.
      • Alternatively: Super Skrull.

T:

• TDK: The Dark Knight (Batman movie).
  • TDKR: The Dark Knight Rises (Batman movie).
    • Alternatively: The Dark Knight Returns (Batman story arc).
  • TM: Taskmaster.
  • TMNT: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
  • TOAA: The One Above All.
  • Toon Force: The Toon Force is not clearly defined. It is an impossible force, that only applies to certain animation characters. Bugs Bunny and Genie (Aladdin) have Toon Force, while characters like Sokka (The Last Airbender) have minimal properties, and some characters like The X-Men Evolution Characters don't seem to have it at all.

V:

• V4V: V for Vendetta.

W:

• WBH: World Breaker Hulk.
  • WM: Warrior Madness (Thor).
  • WW: Wonder Woman.
  • WWH: World War Hulk.

Feel free to contribute to the dictionary!

#3 Posted by homicidalmaniac (6644 posts) - - Show Bio

Stalemate: Where neither character can beat each other.EX:Flash can dodge all of Ghost Rider attacks,but Flash can't hurt Ghost Rider.

#4 Edited by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Edited by FANNYBUSTER (129 posts) - - Show Bio

Brilliant, thank you.... Here's one.

T:

• ToonForce: The Toon Force is not clearly defined. It is an impossible force, that only applies to certain animation characters. But then again i believe Plastic Man (DC Comics) has similar properties to the Toon Force. A character like Bugs Bunny, and Genie (Aladdin) have toon force, While characters like Sokka (TLA) have minimal properties, and some characters like The X-men Evolution Characters (For instance) don't seem to have it at all

J:

• Jobbed/Jobbing: ????

#6 Edited by pooty (10796 posts) - - Show Bio

@homicidalmaniac: Nice, thanks.

Cool. But they actually have this on the "Off Topic" board. But they need one here also. some people don't visit other boards

#7 Edited by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

Brilliant, thank you.... Also

T:

• ToonForce: The Toon Force is not clearly defined. It is an impossible force, that only applies to certain animation characters. But then again i believe Plastic Man (DC Comics) has similar properties to the Toon Force. A character like Bugs Bunny, and Genie (Aladdin) have toon force, While characters like Sokka (TLA) have minimal properties, and some characters like The X-men Evolution Characters (For instance) don't seem to have it at all.

@pooty said:

@the_red_viper said:

@homicidalmaniac: Nice, thanks.

Cool. But they actually have this on the "Off Topic" board. But they need one here also. some people don't visit other boards

This one concentrates more on battle-related terms, however.

#8 Posted by homicidalmaniac (6644 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: TS/Time Skip:When characters have improve their powers/skills during a period of time.EX:Monkey D. Luffy had two years of training to become more powerful and improve his skills.

#9 Edited by FANNYBUSTER (129 posts) - - Show Bio

B:

• Buster/Busting/Bust: Someone capable of breaking, destroying or smashing, especially with force. Usually a city, planet, star, multi-star system, solar system, dimension, the fabric of reality, galaxy, universe or multiverse. World Breaker Hulk is a planet buster, when enraged.

S:

• Street Level: Typically characters who stick to the streets due to being a bit out of their weight class when dealing with anything more dangerous or powerful. These characters almost never use anything other than martial arts, hand-to-hand fighting skills, and various weapons and gadgets (including guns) to get the job done. Batman is DC's top street level hero.

H:

• H2H: Hand-to-Hand

There is also "Skyfather", "Herald" and other levels not mentioned IIRC.

#10 Posted by Cooldes (3925 posts) - - Show Bio

CIS and JOBBER

CIS is character induced stupidity, right. BUT, CIS is IN-character. CIS is when a character should logically win a fight but is too stupid/cocky to do so. Usually occuring when a powerful character underestimates their enemy. The greatest example would be Enel vs Luffy.

For those who don't know, Enel was regarded as God, he was omniscient to everything on skypiea, could predict all attacks made by his enemy via precog[btw add precog to dictionary] and was a being made of, and that had complete control over lightning. Be could reduce entire islands to nothingness in ONE shot. He could not be touched. He could produce well over 200million volts.

He was SO powerful he thought he was invincible...

...and then he met luffy, who's made of rubber. Because luffy's made of rubber, enel's attacks did not work on him, and luffy slaughtered, because enel was SO surprised(where enel lives,rubber does not exist) that someone could hit him. In reality, enel should have stomped luffy due to precog, heat damage etc, but because of enel's CIS he lost.

Of PIS CIS and WIS, CIS is the least hated, and even highly accepted and used in the battle forums, for in-character battles that is.

A greater example would be one i'll make up on the spot.

Let's say a character named Chilldes has the power to erase anyone from existence, and he is also a good martial artist. But, he never uses his power ever because it's against his morals etc.

him getting beat up by a stronger opponent could be taken as CIS because he could (in a morals off, bloodlust, out-of-character etc) situation, just erase the other guy from existence. but he won't, and he'll lose.

This plauges certain characters that refuse to use their powers to the fullest such as Blackbolt and Flash.

Now, jobbing.

There are entire threads dedicated to this one so i'll try to be concise,

Jobbing was originally a boxing term, i believe, when a fighter was put into a fight just to lose(on purpose).

That is exactly what is means in comics today also. It's when a character is placed into a fight just so they can lose.

The most common use of this in comics is to give away feats to newer characters or lesser known characters etc.

A great example of a famous jobber is our good friend Terrax the herald of galactus.

As a herald of galactus, he has access to the power cosmic and he himself has earth controling abilities(earth as in rock, etc. Not the actual earth). With just that, we should automatically know that he is powerful, or of a certain power level. because we have to assume he is of this power level, writers can use him, getting beaten by another caharcter, to show that the new character is powerful.

I.e. sentry coming in and breaking his cosmic axe.

Another famous jobber is superman, whenever a new flying brick comes through, they let him/her tussel with supes to show that they are strong too.

That's basic jobbing, when a character is placed into a fight/situation, just to lose.

another use of jobbing is when a writer needs a villain to plug into a story(and lose) and choses someone seemingly at random. A great example of this is when Spiderman and i think Shadowcat Beat Thanos and police sent him to jail. smh @whoever wrote that one up.

Anyway, those are the only 2 i disagreed with, the rest are all fine :) great thread idea btw

#11 Posted by homicidalmaniac (6644 posts) - - Show Bio

@cooldes:

Red_Viper already put CIS/PIS/Jobber down

2700th Post

#12 Edited by Cgoodness (3869 posts) - - Show Bio

SS also for Super Skrull

Edit: also good stuff @the_red_viper: I've actually had to look up some of this stuff on Internet slang a while back, this would have been way more helpful.

Edit: AV of course for Agent Venom <3

#13 Posted by Cooldes (3925 posts) - - Show Bio

@homicidalmaniac: yeah i know, i didn't really agree with his definitions though, so i wrote what i think they mean, and gave examples of why i think so etc.

I agreed with the rest of his definitions though :)

#14 Posted by GhostRavage (8350 posts) - - Show Bio

what's "smh"?

#15 Edited by Cgoodness (3869 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by GhostRavage (8350 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Edited by Cgoodness (3869 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by Fallschirmjager (15013 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper:

-EoS: End of series

-AQ: sometimes used as an abbreviation for Aquaman (I don't like it though :p)

-DS: can also mean Dark Schneider

-Scans: pictures of characters doing certain things (kind of obvious but you never know)

-IMP: Infinite Mass Punch

-NLF: no limits fallacy

#19 Posted by JediXMan (29506 posts) - - Show Bio

Should mindrape really be here, considering the term is frowned upon as it is?

#20 Posted by Cooldes (3925 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: lol scan stands for a Computer Scanned photo of a comic book page, these days with digital comics, it's kinda lost it's meaning because we don't really need to find the comic, and then put it in a scanner, and then upload it just to prove a feat anymore but still.

#21 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

Should mindrape really be here, considering the term is frowned upon as it is?

Personally not a fan of the term nor its application. I'm sure there are acceptable alternatives.

#22 Posted by xlab3000 (3130 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice dictionary.

#23 Edited by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by RogueShadow (9909 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice, this should be pinned for new users.

#25 Edited by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Edited by kidman560 (7536 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Edited by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (15994 posts) - - Show Bio

What if I told you..

this thread is not going to be pinned? :p

Good work, though.

#29 Posted by kidman560 (7536 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidman560: It's already in there but thanks =P

i know its a variation. also if you want to add Hax powers. (hard to define though!) basically it is a power that can not be dodged or in a defensive case can not be broken or gotten through

GB= Great Beasts (from Alpha Flight) also can be GBs

#31 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (15994 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidman560:

What if I told you..

this thread isn't going to be pinned

Good work, though.

rude and evil

#32 Edited by FANNYBUSTER (129 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

@princearagorn1: DON'T STOP BELIEVING!!!

@fannybuster: Low showings are basically another word for "jobbing".

#34 Posted by Cooldes (3925 posts) - - Show Bio

@fannybuster:

a "low showing" is a feat in where a character does less than, or is shown to be weaker than he nornally is, or actually is, or is regularly shown to be.

An example would be, (i have hundreds)

Fire lord getting beat up by spiderman.

silver surfer getting put in an armlock by black panther

Thanos being scared of rocket raccoon etc.

^these are VERY extreme examples though, and all of which involve some PIS, and a little WIS(excluding the rocket raccoon thing, he's just bad a$$)

normal examples would be hulk losing a fight to the thing.

Hulk being K.O.ed by a semi truck

Karate kid slapping around kryptonians

Silver surfer getting tagged by the thing etc.

Hope this helped. I have a scan of superman not being fast enough to save civilians from bullet fire if you want to see a really good low showing :)

/ part 2

For those who don't know, this is why the above are low showings.

Fire lord is a SURFER level being. he is a herald of galactus and therefore has access to the power cosmic and has ckntrol over his cosmic flames. Spiderman is a upper street level being and shouldn't even be able to hurt fire lord.

Silver surfer is the strongest of the heralds of galactus, black panther is also upper street level and silver surfer should never even be touched by him. Surfer has phasing taboot, so being held in an armlock makes no sense.

Thanos >>>>>>>>> rocket raccoon powerlevel wise. Hopefully we all know this.

Hulk is very far above thing strenth-wise, and with his healing factor should dominate thing.

Hulk has survived planets being busted, a semi truck should be K.O.ed just by being near him lol.

Silver surfer is so fast that thing shouldn't even be able to see him, much less hit him.

Karate kid has no powers. Kryptonians are OP.

And lastly, superman is vastly faster-than-light. He should be able to catch every bullet on earth in less than a second.

#35 Posted by Cooldes (3925 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper:

GG and GG no Re

GG = good game

GGnoRe = good game, no rematch

#36 Posted by OverLordArhas (7549 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Edited by green_skaar (4415 posts) - - Show Bio

TITS (throw into the sun) - Superman's default way of winning fights

#38 Edited by kyrees (4475 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by tparks (4281 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: Nice work! I could have used this when I first joined this site.

#40 Posted by Sovereign91001 (3980 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: Telecut/Teledismember- The act of teleporting an opponents body part (usually the head) off.

#41 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the kind words guys ;)

#42 Posted by FlashGreaterSignEveryone (950 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: OP can also mean original post (i.e "dude it's morals on, check the OP")

#43 Edited by TheTrueBarryAllen (4261 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd recommend adding Mirror Master under the 'M' section as MM. I know I often call him MM and it's MUCH easier than writing out his whole name.

#44 Posted by RogueShadow (9909 posts) - - Show Bio

Could've done with this when I had just started. Should add in SPock.

#45 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

What does "SPock" mean? Never seen it used, honestly.

#46 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

What if I told you..

this thread is not going to be pinned? :p

Good work, though.

Almost forgot:

HA!!!!!! IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!

#47 Edited by RogueShadow (9909 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

What does "SPock" mean? Never seen it used, honestly.

Spider Ock I think, as in superior spider-man.

#48 Edited by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by Pokeysteve (8019 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like how there are "IMO" and "IMHO". Does that mean whenever you see "IMO" it means that that person is a lying liar?
I never understood the difference between "PIS" and "CIS" either.
The definition of Jobbing looks wrong. I though it was some powerful that loses to someone weaker to boost their credibility. Deathstroke stabbing Flash comes to mind.

#50 Posted by Wolverine08 (38522 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like how there are "IMO" and "IMHO". Does that mean whenever you see "IMO" it means that that person is a lying liar?

I never understood the difference between "PIS" and "CIS" either.

The definition of Jobbing looks wrong. I though it was some powerful that loses to someone weaker to boost their credibility. Deathstroke stabbing Flash comes to mind.

Lol, reading things to literally :D