#1 Posted by RobertMiles1 (15 posts) - - Show Bio

My first post. Movie versions only (2006 "300" and 2001 - 2003 Peter Jackson version LOTR movies). Because IIRC in the book version everything in Tolkien's fictional setting was more powerful.

#2 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

...and promptly become orc and troll food. I'm sorry, the 300 survived as well as they did due to the landscape advantage they gave themselves and also because the armies they went up against were far less trained, could feel pain and could also feel fear. Also, they have no answer to the armored trolls. None. The rhinos they faced are simple beasts - the trolls have at least some form of cognitive thought and ability.

Did I fail to mention the Nazgul? I did, didn't I? Unless we're ignoring them.

All in all, welcome to Comicvine!

#3 Posted by RetconCrisis (3735 posts) - - Show Bio

The 300 simply walk into Mordor, and they fall in Mordor, for reasons stated by @hart7668 above.

#4 Edited by Stupid_People (1248 posts) - - Show Bio
@hart7668 said:

...and promptly become orc and troll food. I'm sorry, the 300 survived as well as they did due to the landscape advantage they gave themselves and also because the armies they went up against were far less trained, could feel pain and could also feel fear. Also, they have no answer to the armored trolls. None. The rhinos they faced are simple beasts - the trolls have at least some form of cognitive thought and ability.

Completely agree, minus the fear part, in the movies there has been many instances where orcs were frightened. Of the top of my head there was during the Rohirrim charge and the attack of the spirits in movie 3.

#5 Edited by rpottage (880 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668 said:

Completely agree, minus the fear part, in the movies there has been many instances where orcs were frightened. Of the top of my head there was during the Rohirrim charge and the attack of the spirits in movie 3.

Wait... Orcs or Goblins? The Goblins demonstrated fear but I don't recall the Orcs showing fear.

#6 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668 said:

Yeah, upon further thought, I realized the same thing. :p

#7 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

@rpottage: Nah, the orcs did too. Even the Uru-Khai when Gandalf lead the charge against them from the hill. Now, some don't seem to care about their own well-being. But I think they all do, just not quite as much as some random Persian slave armies might.

#8 Posted by Cjdavis103 (9065 posts) - - Show Bio

@robertmiles1: welcome to comic vine!

The 300 are stomped on I they are BA but the orcs out number the Persians And are much better equipped ( iron/steal vs cloth wikire and bronse) And the 300 do not have a pass to bottle neck their opponents

Without a massive shot of PIS they get swamped

#9 Posted by Shawnbaby (10641 posts) - - Show Bio

A few things to consider

1. While the Spartans only numbered around 300...they were joined by other greek forces as well.
  2. The location they chose to battle on kept them from being completely surrounded and obilterated.
  3. One kamikaze bomb (such as the one that blew open Helms Deep) and the 300 are toast

#10 Edited by RomulusAugustus (270 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah.... The 300 get shredded in minutes. These are just regular dudes, incredibly fit, but just normal dudes. And their pitted against thousands of goblins, orcs etc. Mismatch. Welcome to Comicvine though!

#11 Posted by Stupid_People (1248 posts) - - Show Bio

But....the abs!

#12 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7029 posts) - - Show Bio

A single Nazgul would solo.

#13 Posted by Chibi_cute (4523 posts) - - Show Bio

Witch king screams endlessly till their ears were coughing blood..

300 gets slaughtered again.

#14 Edited by AngryHulks (3001 posts) - - Show Bio

@romulusaugustus said:

Yeah.... The 300 get shredded in minutes. These are just regular dudes, incredibly fit, but just normal dudes. And their pitted against thousands of goblins, orcs etc. Mismatch. Welcome to Comicvine though!

Not true, they're all borderline superhuman, you think real-life human could perform the feats that the 300 Spartan do?

#15 Posted by RomulusAugustus (270 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Dratini1331 (7028 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668: I love you for that post, instant follow.

#17 Posted by The_Master_of_Darkness (42 posts) - - Show Bio

For a fun, I've been trying to think of a scenario where they could win.

Obviously, knocking on the Black Gate is suicide, so that's out. No, their best best would be to go the long way around and through the back near the Ash Mountains:

This would allow them to avoid the main forces of Mordor for a decent amount of time while they march towards the capital. Hopefully they could meet up with some of the Eastern Men or good orcs (Tolkien said they existed), giving them a much needed help.

In 300, the Spartans used the terrain to their advantage. They could do that again here.

If they could make it that far, they'd make their stand at the Plateau of Gorgoroth. On a high plain, they'd be able to see their enemies coming and defend their position.

But MoD, what happens when the Eye of Sauron gets it together and muster his forces to defeat them, you ask? Two things:

1. The armies of Mordor would cut through the Greeks like a light sabre through butter.
2. He ensures a Spartan victory.

Remember, the Spartans never expected to walk away from Thermopylae, they knew full well they were going to die. Their goal wasn't victory, it was diversion.

So while they've got the orcs distracted, two little hobbits are sneaking their way into Mountain Doom to drop a ring.

Man, I put way too much thought into this.

#18 Posted by Joygirl (19446 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by The_Master_of_Darkness (42 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by KingAres109 (1255 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by Noone301994 (4230 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by ShootingNova (16304 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't suppose they can get past the Witch King. That's assuming they survive the actual armies.

#23 Posted by Cgoodness (4328 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously, knocking on the Black Gate is suicide, so that's out. No, their best best would be to go the long way around and through the back near the Ash Mountains:

This would allow them to avoid the main forces of Mordor for a decent amount of time while they march towards the capital. Hopefully they could meet up with some of the Eastern Men or good orcs (Tolkien said they existed), giving them a much needed help.

In 300, the Spartans used the terrain to their advantage. They could do that again here.

If they could make it that far, they'd make their stand at the Plateau of Gorgoroth. On a high plain, they'd be able to see their enemies coming and defend their position.

But MoD, what happens when the Eye of Sauron gets it together and muster his forces to defeat them, you ask? Two things:

1. The armies of Mordor would cut through the Greeks like a light sabre through butter.

Remember, the Spartans never expected to walk away from Thermopylae, they knew full well they were going to die. Their goal wasn't victory, it was diversion.

So while they've got the orcs distracted, two little hobbits are sneaking their way into Mountain Doom to drop a ring.

#24 Posted by Immortal777 (7357 posts) - - Show Bio

#25 Posted by The_Master_of_Darkness (42 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by KingAres109 (1255 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by The_Master_of_Darkness (42 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingares109: It was never on any of Tolkien's maps, but the elves and the wizards had to come from somewhere, so who knows?

That's all speculation, of course. I doubt Tolkien gave it much thought.

#28 Posted by JwwProd (9197 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_master_of_darkness said:

#29 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16746 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668 said:

...And we have a winner.

#30 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

#31 Posted by Lunacyde (18636 posts) - - Show Bio

Not with 10,000 men could you do this...t'is folly.

#32 Posted by RogueShadow (10345 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668 said:

Yep.

#33 Posted by Cjdavis103 (9065 posts) - - Show Bio

@hart7668 said:

#34 Posted by Pierpat (2669 posts) - - Show Bio

Great post.

Anyway yes, the Spartans ain't winning this battle, trolls or nazguls should solo....