#1 Edited by Owie (3950 posts) - - Show Bio

Team Saga: Marko, Alana, The Will, The Stalk, Lying Cat, Gwendolyn, Barr, Klara, Izabel. Marko and Klara have the Crash Helmets. Marko has his magic sword (unbroken). Klara and Barr have magic axes. The Will has his lance. The Stalk has all her weapons in the picture, including a lance and two conventional guns. Lying Cat and Izabel are unarmed. Gwendolyn has her wood staff and a laser pistol. Alana has a laser rifle and is wearing the special armored clothes Barr made for her. Marko, Barr, Klara, and Izabel can use their magic/illusions. Just in case I've forgotten anything, basically all of them have whatever equipment they've had in the comics.

Original X-Men: Cyclops, Jean Grey, Beast (human form), Iceman, Angel. Their experience level/powers are at the level seen when they showed up in All-New X-Men.

Round 1: Jean does not have telepathy yet.

Round 2: Jean has telepathy at the level seen in All-New X-Men so far.

Battle takes place in a reasonably dry spot in the Everglades, starting at 30'. In character. Everyone in Team Saga gets along well enough to fight (they believe they have a common goal in winning the fight) although they may have personality clashes.

Who wins and why?

Marko
Alana
The Will
The Stalk
Lying Cat
Gwendolyn
Barr
Klara
Izabel
Original X-Men

#2 Posted by insheepsclothes (169 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, at this point, the X-Men do not work well as a team...however, Team Saga has no experience as a team whatsoever. I think Round 1 goes to Team Saga. They have the #s and weaponry and I think w/o Jean's telepathy, Cyclops is their biggest threat as Bobby is still too raw at this point and not a serious threat. Although, it seems at times that in Saga, powerful magic requires things such as secrets, emotions, etc.....but I think they get by w/ standard magic & the other weapons at hand. The Will & The Stalk might be able to take out Angel, Jean and Beast themselves while the magic users go at Bobby/Cyke. In round 2 though, it really depends on how good Jean is...in All New X-Men she has been able to do some decent telepathy feats although it fatigues her. Izabel & Lying Cat are not big threats and may not even be able to be affected by TP.....for that matter, I don't know how the magicians would fare either in that regard....are they resistant? Do the helmets have properties to help block TP? I think Round 2 goes to Team Saga as well. They're just more...serious...than X-Men at this point. They will go for the kill w/o hesitation & they are good at doing so (esp Will & Stalk).....i say round 1 is 9/10 and round 2 is 7/10 depending on what Jean can do & how quick she will be able to do it.....good stuff though amigo! Love Saga and great to see some battle action with them involved! kudos.....i'd like to see The Will & The Stalk take on current Beast (enraged yet retaining intelligence) & Angel (from around early Uncanny X-Force days before his big changes).....who do ya think takes that one?

#3 Posted by Owie (3950 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, at this point, the X-Men do not work well as a team...however, Team Saga has no experience as a team whatsoever. I think Round 1 goes to Team Saga. They have the #s and weaponry and I think w/o Jean's telepathy, Cyclops is their biggest threat as Bobby is still too raw at this point and not a serious threat. Although, it seems at times that in Saga, powerful magic requires things such as secrets, emotions, etc.....but I think they get by w/ standard magic & the other weapons at hand. The Will & The Stalk might be able to take out Angel, Jean and Beast themselves while the magic users go at Bobby/Cyke. In round 2 though, it really depends on how good Jean is...in All New X-Men she has been able to do some decent telepathy feats although it fatigues her. Izabel & Lying Cat are not big threats and may not even be able to be affected by TP.....for that matter, I don't know how the magicians would fare either in that regard....are they resistant? Do the helmets have properties to help block TP? I think Round 2 goes to Team Saga as well. They're just more...serious...than X-Men at this point. They will go for the kill w/o hesitation & they are good at doing so (esp Will & Stalk).....i say round 1 is 9/10 and round 2 is 7/10 depending on what Jean can do & how quick she will be able to do it.....good stuff though amigo! Love Saga and great to see some battle action with them involved! kudos.....i'd like to see The Will & The Stalk take on current Beast (enraged yet retaining intelligence) & Angel (from around early Uncanny X-Force days before his big changes).....who do ya think takes that one?

Thanks! Nice analysis.

I agree that it's a little unclear how the magic-users will react to telepathy. I would kind of guess that they might not be able to defend against it when it first happens, but that once they see it, they might have a counter-spell against it. That's complete speculation on my part though. I agree that Jean's abilities are just beginning, so she could probably only take out one at a time with her TP in any case. On the other hand, the Saga people may be able to use sleep spells, etc in the same way (effectively but one at a time and probably from up close.)

I was wondering if the numbers were too unbalanced. I think the X-Men are more powerful in general, so the numbers may balance out, but perhaps not.

I totally agree in terms of seriousness, and how that will be a factor. Even Marko is a pretty serious fighter, he took out that whole patrol on his own.

I do think the X-Men's powers will cause some problems. Cyke can open up with a pretty wide-angle blast (even if, since he's in character, he won't try to kill them), so he could hit a lot at once, while the Saga team generally has targeted shots. Ice Man, while definitely less powerful than now, could put up ice walls, encase people's feet in ice, etc. Angel won't fare well, but Beast will be pretty hard for any of the Saga team to hit, and could potentially take anyone out in one punch. And even Jean's TK could be used to take away weapons, throw people at trees, etc. So I think they would win more than 1/10 in the non-TP round.

Not to undersell team Saga (I'm saying this for the benefit of non-readers). Marko, The Will, and The Stalk are experienced fighters. The freelancers' lances can strike from a long distance. Even Lying Cat took out some space mobsters a couple issues ago. The Crash helmets offer teleportation, although (as far as we can tell) probably not as fast as Nightcrawler or someone like that. The magic users can blast lightning, or cause sleep, or remove entanglements., or heal. Grandpa and especially Grandma are not people I'd want to mess around with! Even Izabel can cause illusions--remember the flaming gorilla!

In terms of The Will and The Stalk taking on current Beast and the old version of metal-winged Angel, that would be tough. I think the Beast and Angel would take that. They'd be too fast, the Beast too strong, and the Angel's wings too dangerous.

#4 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13122 posts) - - Show Bio

F*CK! A Saga thread?! This is awesome, but I've only read the first trade.

I will return..

#5 Edited by Owie (3950 posts) - - Show Bio