SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By SpidermanWins

What the title says.

T-Rex in this battle is a 40 feet long adult in good physical shape, hungry. Battles take place in a jungle, starting a mile and a half apart.

No Caption Provided

Keep in mind that though some other therapods may be bigger, it does not mean they are more powerful. Use valid information. (JP3 is not valid info)

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By terry2012

Can you name some the Therapods?

kcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kcaz

as far as i know, only the Spinosaurus is stronger than the T-rex, it is also much much bigger in size. the Spinosaurus is the one who defeated the T-rex in jurassic park 3. so the T-rex is not the strongest Therapod there is

ohgodwhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ohgodwhy

Gigantosaurus is one of the largest theropods I believe. Should be able to take a T-Rex imo.

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gigantosaurus.

ChaosBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By ChaosBlazer

Giganotosaurus was longer and taller, but it had a less powerful bite and a smaller head. So maybe.

Spinosaurus had a jaw built to eat fish, so it's too weak to do too much damage to a T-Rex.

@kcaz said:

as far as i know, only the Spinosaurus is stronger than the T-rex, it is also much much bigger in size. the Spinosaurus is the one who defeated the T-rex in jurassic park 3. so the T-rex is not the strongest Therapod there is

That fight was silly. The T Rex got the first bite in, one bite should have been enough to easily crush the Spino's throat and neck. A T-Rex's jaw could deliver between 4500 and 12,800 pounds of total force. The broad range represents a bite using the front of the mouth versus the back of the mouth.

Carcharadontasaurus apparently had a bigger head than T-Rex, and possibly almost as much bite force. However, only a skull of a Carcharodontasarus has ever been found, so we don't know how big it was.

Anyways I don't think any other theropod dinosaur should be able to defeat a T Rex for a majority of encounters. Spino isn't designed to take down large reptiles and Giganotosaurus is only bigger.

Hyper_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hyper_God

@ChaosBlazer said:

Giganotosaurus was longer and taller, but it had a less powerful bite and a smaller head. So maybe.

Spinosaurus had a jaw built to eat fish, so it's too weak to do too much damage to a T-Rex.

@kcaz said:

That fight was silly. The T Rex got the first bite in, one bite should have been enough to easily crush the Spino's throat and neck. A T-Rex's jaw could deliver between 4500 and 12,800 pounds of total force. The broad range represents a bite using the front of the mouth versus the back of the mouth.

Carcharadontasaurus apparently had a bigger head than T-Rex, and possibly almost as much bite force. However, only a skull of a Carcharodontasarus has ever been found, so we don't know how big it was.

Anyways I don't think any other theropod dinosaur should be able to defeat a T Rex for a majority of encounters. Spino isn't designed to take down large reptiles and Giganotosaurus is only bigger.

Bigger head doesn't equate to stronger bite . The T-Rex has the most robustly built jawbones and skull structure among the large theropods .

ChaosBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ChaosBlazer

@Hyper_God: I know.

Cypher0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cypher0120

Maybe this version of Spino could win?

[IMG]http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3582/spinorex.png[/IMG]

To quote: "The smaller Spino is the 14 meter Stromer holotype, the larger is meant to represent MSNM V4047"

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SpidermanWins

@terry2012 said:

Can you name some the Therapods?

Another therapod not mentioned is Arcrocanthosaurus, but besides him and those previously mentioned, few of the very largest dinosaur carnivores have enough info out there to debate over.

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ximpossibrux

@kcaz said:

Based off the Fight clip, the Spinosaurus was much more agile, and could actually use it's hands for combat. (Like when it snapped the T-Rex neck)

And I guess you could argue it's harder to kill because it got it's neck bitten down on by a T-Rex and shook it off.

Phylos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Phylos

@XImpossibruX said:

@kcaz said:

Based off the Fight clip, the Spinosaurus was much more agile, and could actually use it's hands for combat. (Like when it snapped the T-Rex neck)

And I guess you could argue it's harder to kill because it got it's neck bitten down on by a T-Rex and shook it off.

That clip is so magical, never gets old :D

kcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kcaz
@ChaosBlazer said:

@kcaz said:

i think i heard in some documentary show that the spinosaurus was more powerful than the T-rex.
ChaosBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ChaosBlazer

@kcaz: what did they mean by more powerful? Like it's bite was more powerful?

That sounds doubtful. Spinosaurus ate fish and it's jaw was kinda thin and long. T'Rex's jaw was more robust, thicker, and also had thicker teeth.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpidermanWins

@XImpossibruX said:

@kcaz said:

Spinosaurus isn't even in contest with T-Rex.

First off, Spinosaurus's bones were lightweight and its sail was connected to its spine (weak point). Its teeth were sharp but hollow. It was meant to eat fish. The sub-adult T-Rex in the movie should have finished him off once he got his jaws on him (BS). Also, T-Rex has been shown to sustain injuries to the BRAIN CASE, so a hollow toothed, lightweight dinosaur with a weaker bite force would do nothing to him.

Not to mention the fight was rigged from the beginning off the theory started by Jack Horner (paleontologist who gave Johntson or whoever his name is dinosaur ideas) that T-Rex was a scavenger. He also stated that Spinosaurus was his favorite dinosaur. The director took inspiration from that for the movie.

Debate over Giganotosaurus, Charcarodontosaurus, or other competitive therapods, but please, don't bring in one of the biggest mistakes in the JP trilogy since deinonychus-sized velociraptors. There is a reason why I said JP3 is not valid info.

kcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kcaz
@ChaosBlazer said:

@kcaz: what did they mean by more powerful? Like it's bite was more powerful?

That sounds doubtful. Spinosaurus ate fish and it's jaw was kinda thin and long. T'Rex's jaw was more robust, thicker, and also had thicker teeth.

i'm not sure if fish is all they eat, that was only predicted because of the shape of its jaw. but then again, bears eat fish too, and they are 1 of the strongest animals around. alligators and crocodiles have the same shape jaws but eat other animals, and their bites are very strong. besides, the spinosaurus was 2 times the size of the t-rex, and in the animal kingdom, bigger means stronger, because bigger means more muscles. longer jaws also give longer reach for catching other running or flying dinosaurs
venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ChaosBlazer said:

@kcaz said:

Agreed.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShootingNova

Spinosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus and Giganotosaurus.

ChaosBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ChaosBlazer

@kcaz: All I will say is that spinos have a much thinner jaw than a tyrannosaurus. This indicates to me that they have a much weaker bite force, and they do. It's been proven that a T Rex ahs the most powerful bite of any dinosaur. That alone, along with T rex being nearly as big as the largest theropods that existed, means to me that they should win against any other theropod.

Also Spinosaurus' aren't twice as big as T rex. There aren't even any complete skeletons of spinos to base that off of.

Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
saiyan_earthling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By saiyan_earthling

Spinosaurus and Giganotosaurus

JediWaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JediWaffles

Gigantosaurus would absolutely wreck the T-Rex. It was bigger, supposedly a station wagon heavier, and although it's head to body size ratio wasn't quite as big, sheer size and weight advantage would win it. It also doesn't mean it's biting strength and capacity is any less for it either. The only real difference in biting capacities was that the T-rex had teeth that were more suitable for blunt trauma, meant for breaking bones, whereas the Gigantosaurus had sharper teeth, for slicing and cutting. In terms of biting strength, the T-rex was the more superior by a bit. Another thing that tips it in the Giganto's favor is the fact that it was very experienced in dealing with large creatures, seeing as it commonly preyed on the second largest creature to ever walk the earth, the 100-ton Argentinosaurus.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShootingNova

@ShootingNova said:

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShootingNova

@JediWaffles said:

Gigantosaurus would absolutely wreck the T-Rex. It was FAR bigger, and although it's head to body size ratio wasn't quite as big, sheer size and weight advantage would win it. It also doesn't mean it's biting strength and capacity is any less for it either.

Yeah.

The Carcharodontosaurus and Spinosaurus were even larger than Giganotosaurus.

JediWaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JediWaffles

@ShootingNova said:

@JediWaffles said:

Gigantosaurus would absolutely wreck the T-Rex. It was FAR bigger, and although it's head to body size ratio wasn't quite as big, sheer size and weight advantage would win it. It also doesn't mean it's biting strength and capacity is any less for it either.

Yeah.

The Carcharodontosaurus and Spinosaurus were even larger than Giganotosaurus.

I edited my post for more detail, btw.

venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShootingNova said:

@saiyan_earthling said:

No.

kcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kcaz
@ChaosBlazer: but there is enough skeletons to put a few together, and it shows that their skeleton is bigger than that of the T-rex. but cant find enough remains, thats why scientist cant tell what they really eat, and can only predict
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

the Spinosaurus was larger than T Rex..but It had a relatively small jaw, shaped more like a Crocodile's used to eat fish, I don't know if it could take T Rex...Gigantosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus have much better chances.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mooty_Pass

In the that video clip JP3 if you listen closly when the T-Rex is trying to bite the Spino you could hear it go "CHOMP!" now thats power. THough that fight was complete BS though. the T-Rex should have one.

Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
saiyan_earthling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By saiyan_earthling

@venomoushatred1001 said:

@ShootingNova said:

@saiyan_earthling said:

No.

Yes it does. Also I didn't say Spinosaurus because of JP3, where I was actually voting for the T. Rex to win. I said Spino, because of the fact that it's actually larger than the T. Rex.

venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saiyan_earthling said:

@ShootingNova said:

@saiyan_earthling said:

No.

Yes it does. Also I didn't say Spinosaurus because of JP3, where I was actually voting for the T. Rex to win. I said Spino, because of the fact that it's actually larger than the T. Rex.

It was larger, but it was also, lighter, weaker, and far more frail.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ShootingNova

@venomoushatred1001: The jaw of the Spinosaurus was relatively smaller, and it ate fish. Its brain would probably be weaker spot for target, but the upper body could probably tank some hits while it attacks itself.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By terry2012

@saiyan_earthling: This

And what is a Carcharodontosaurus

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShootingNova

@terry2012 said:

@saiyan_earthling: This

And what is a Carcharodontosaurus

The second largest therapod, second only to the Spinosaurus. Yes, it was bigger than the Giganotosaurus.

It's also one of the heaviest.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By terry2012

@ShootingNova: Spinosaurus was 60 feet tall. So how tall was Giganotosaurus

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShootingNova

@terry2012: Couldn't you have looked it up?

It was apparently 44-46 feet tall.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By terry2012

@ShootingNova: Thanks. Yes I could have look it up. But I ask you instead. He only 6 feet taller than a T-Rex

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShootingNova

@terry2012: No problem.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Killemall

Lighter yes but it makes it actually it more agile than T-rex.

It has more weaponaries, has a free hand that can slice and dice, a quicker body when it comes to reaction (although has a significantly smaller brain ), problem is we know little about them. T-rex is built to be hunter, Spino is more built to be a scavenger, it cant really hunt.

Frail, only because if it falls on the ground it might die outright because of the whole sail and its connection to the spine which is something T-rex could do, i doubt in a real fight T-rex will think of it, but yeah thats something T-rex could really exploit.

The problem with spino was it was just too upright to actually defend against smaller predators, i would assume he could do a lot better against a bigger predator, its built to fight and thats what many expert believe it did. Its built is such that it needs a lot of food to survive something it cannot collect on swallow waters, and isnt built to be able to hunt in deep waters nor is powerful enough to fight deep water predators, no theropod actually is. So it had to scavange from other giant predators.

I dont believe either Gigantosaurus nor Carcharodontosaurus were equipped to fight a t-rex any more than Spino. If anything they have a lot less advantage over T-rex. Yes they were bigger but thats about all the advantage it has. T-rex is more robust which makes it a lot more durable and every bit of advantage one can think of T-rex over Spino, he has over both of them too.

The real problem is T-rex is most durable than the remaining three other therapod we are considering here and has a much stronger bite force specially when the mouth is closing (much like crocodile) but either of them have more than enough bite force to kill the other with one bite. Spino here perhaps has the least powerful bite force and probably slowest when it comes to running or chasing prey, but probably the most agile when it comes to turning around. What Spino has actually got going on his side is his build to fight an upright predator, the giant flexible hands and those long claws (or meathooks) which are powerful enough to rip through a car with a slice. And you know its easier to hit someone with a swipe of your paws than to come and be able to bite someone who on average is estimate to tower 2-4 feet above you.

But i cant really say Spino should win against T-rex the debate thats a very hard debate, but out of the three Spino perhaps has the best chance.

JediWaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JediWaffles

@Killemall said:

Lighter yes but it makes it actually it more agile than T-rex.

It has more weaponaries, has a free hand that can slice and dice, a quicker body when it comes to reaction (although has a significantly smaller brain ), problem is we know little about them. T-rex is built to be hunter, Spino is more built to be a scavenger, it cant really hunt.

Frail, only because if it falls on the ground it might die outright because of the whole sail and its connection to the spine which is something T-rex could do, i doubt in a real fight T-rex will think of it, but yeah thats something T-rex could really exploit.

The problem with spino was it was just too upright to actually defend against smaller predators, i would assume he could do a lot better against a bigger predator, its built to fight and thats what many expert believe it did. Its built is such that it needs a lot of food to survive something it cannot collect on swallow waters, and isnt built to be able to hunt in deep waters nor is powerful enough to fight deep water predators, no theropod actually is. So it had to scavange from other giant predators.

I dont believe either Gigantosaurus nor Carcharodontosaurus were equipped to fight a t-rex any more than Spino. If anything they have a lot less advantage over T-rex. Yes they were bigger but thats about all the advantage it has. T-rex is more robust which makes it a lot more durable and every bit of advantage one can think of T-rex over Spino, he has over both of them too.

The real problem is T-rex is most durable than the remaining three other therapod we are considering here and has a much stronger bite force specially when the mouth is closing (much like crocodile) but either of them have more than enough bite force to kill the other with one bite. Spino here perhaps has the least powerful bite force and probably slowest when it comes to running or chasing prey, but probably the most agile when it comes to turning around. What Spino has actually got going on his side is his build to fight an upright predator, the giant flexible hands and those long claws (or meathooks) which are powerful enough to rip through a car with a slice. And you know its easier to hit someone with a swipe of your paws than to come and be able to bite someone who on average is estimate to tower 2-4 feet above you.

But i cant really say Spino should win against T-rex the debate thats a very hard debate, but out of the three Spino perhaps has the best chance.

I have to disagree with you there, the Gigantosaurus actually hunted larger creatures on a regular basis, such as the 100-ton Argentinosaurus. I would say it's very well-equipped to take on a T-Rex.

Hyper_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hyper_God

@ShootingNova said:

The middle one is the only one who would stand a realistic chance against a T-Rex .

As far as Spino goes , here's a comparison of their skulls :

This shows how pathetically weak and fragile the skull of Spinosaurus looks next to a T.rex's even though the former is longer .

This is from Mega Beasts episode "Biggest Killer Dino"

Giganotosaurus had teeth more adapted for slicing flesh of prey , rather than crushing it(like T-Rex) . According to Francois Therrien , the Gigan had a bite force roughly 3 times weaker than a T-Rex's .

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By terry2012

@Killemall: Good Analysing

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Killemall

@JediWaffles said:

I have to disagree with you there, the Gigantosaurus actually hunted larger creatures on a regular basis, such as the 100-ton Argentinosaurus. I would say it's very well-equipped to take on a T-Rex.

Thats what Gigantosaurus was build to do, hunt large preys. T-rex was specifically build to eat preys that are protected. T-rex has a lot of advantage above Gigantosaurus (much like the other therapod) being discussed here because he's most robost, has massive body mass, giant legs for slamming straight and hard, a re-enforced neck to absorb shock. T-rex has better built than Gigantosaurus. They are significantly lighter than T-rex making them more agile but far less durable.

@Hyper_God said:

The middle one is the only one who would stand a realistic chance against a T-Rex .

This shows how pathetically weak and fragile the skull of Spinosaurus looks next to a T.rex's even though the former is longer .

Giganotosaurus had teeth more adapted for slicing flesh of prey , rather than crushing it(like T-Rex) . According to Francois Therrien , the Gigan had a bite force roughly 3 times weaker than a T-Rex's .

I dont think anyone would disagree that T-rex has a much powerful biteforce than anyone here, Spino has the weakest bite for of them all. But biteforce is hardly the most important factor in a fight, not to mention since Spino's teeth are sharp and long while T-rex teeth are thick and hard, either can kill the other in but one bite.

The only advantage Spino has over anyone here is it has a free arm and giant meat hooks that is built for slashing which can be pretty powerful weapon. That would be hard to avoid in a fight. Look at any lion vs lion, or a tiger vs tiger fight and its the claws that is most frequently used rather than bite force, its just more easily to swipe someone with your paws than bite its head off.

ghostrider2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ghostrider2

T-Rex should win, strongest bite but small arms.Well im not an expert but i don't see a win for Spino.

Cypher0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cypher0120
No Caption Provided

I dunno, the size difference here still seems too vast. Especially with the largest Spino holotype.

Hyper_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hyper_God

@Killemall said:

@Hyper_God said:

I dont think anyone would disagree that T-rex has a much powerful biteforce than anyone here, Spino has the weakest bite for of them all. But biteforce is hardly the most important factor in a fight, not to mention since Spino's teeth are sharp and long while T-rex teeth are thick and hard, either can kill the other in but one bite.

The only advantage Spino has over anyone here is it has a free arm and giant meat hooks that is built for slashing which can be pretty powerful weapon. That would be hard to avoid in a fight. Look at any lion vs lion, or a tiger vs tiger fight and its the claws that is most frequently used rather than bite force, its just more easily to swipe someone with your paws than bite its head off.

These aren't mammalian big cats that we are talking about . And no , a T-Rex's neck is thicker and more robustly built than a Spino's .

These are some of the common misconceptions that people can have regarding the Spino VS Rex debate . All of them are addressed in the following in the same bullet points :

1. As to scavenger, Gregory S. Paul, an expert on dinosaurs in general, stated the following:

In the optimistic hope of putting the scavenging myth to rest, let me present the facts. Tyrannosaurus rex did not have 6- to 8-inch serrated teeth and an arc of D-cross-sectioned teeth set in a massive, powerful skull just to consume rotting carcasses!

He has a point. Rex was certainly well armed for a scavenger.

2. As to slow, as slow as it was, it was the FASTEST ANIMAL IN ITS ENVIRONMENT. It was certainly faster than any other 6+ ton theropod!

3. As to more agile, I doubt it. To the best of my knowledge, there is no evidence at all for that statement. If there is, I would certainly like to see it.

4. As to arms for holding, while I don't doubt that those could be useful, it isn't like they could reach beyond the snout of spinosaurus. And they certainly couldn't be used to push the tyrannosaurus's head and break its neck like in jurassic park.

5. As to pure hunter, I have to disagree for several reasons. First, the larger, slower spinosaurus would be more prone to kleptoparasitism than any tyrannosaur. That sail would come in handy for making spino look larger, meaning an animal would be more prone to run away. However, more importantly than the inaccuracy of the pure hunter statement, it should be noted that spinosaurus WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR TAKING PREY ITEMS OF ANYTHING NEAR SIMILAR SIZE, BUT INSTEAD FOR CRUSHING ADVERSARIES THAT COULD BE SWALLOWED WHOLE.

A scientific article to bring further facts regarding Spinos :

23 gennaio 2009 23 January 2009
Spinosaurid paleobiology, more than just “croc-mimic” Spinosaurid paleobiology, more than just "croc-mimic"

Why are so spinosauri "bizarre"? There is no doubt that their peculiarities compared to other theropodi indicating a specific environment, different from those of other forms. The fact that spinosauri are often portraits as part of the crocodiles is a sufficient and comprehensive comparison? This post aims to explore the ecology of spinosauri, not just the usual question of the elongated snout and conical teeth (important details but not the only ones to see these animals).

I do not deny that there are obvious similarities between some spinosauridi and crocodiles, particularly nell'allungamento of the rostrum, in the form "a rosette spatolato" premascellare of the area, in the form of teeth (tapered, slightly curved, with serration vestigiale if not absent). These characters suggest a reduced ability lacerating teeth, replaced by a better ability to pierce and "impaling" prey size medium to small.Although the first interpretation of the craniofacial anatomy and the dental piscivoria, it is noted that the spinosauridi should not be solely piscivori, as indicated by the remains of ornithopode average size of the stomach contents Baryonyx (Charig & Milner, 1997) and the tooth spinosaurino sticking in a series of cervical pterosauro (see related post).

How does the jaw of a spinosauride? Recent findings from Morocco (explained in SVPCA 2008) show that the square (the bone of the skull that articulates the mandible) of spinosauri had conformed to the expansion in width of mouth. This adjustment allowed the ingestion of relatively large prey, like fish and vertebrate small-medium size, almost without the assistance of chewing. In previous post I argued that the morphology of the posterior region of the skull spinosauride be better understood by reconstructing a posture of the head, not horizontal, but rostroventrale with the opening facing jug partially down.If you look at the picture below, you will see that swinging the skull with such a posture, we have the main axis of the maxillary teeth, the axis of the lacrimal and dell'Orbo that have vertically (blue lines), as in most theropodi. An interesting consequence of this morphology is that the act of closing the mouth automatically pushes the prey to their teeth and jaw, at the same time, towards the inside of the mouth (green arrow). This posture also has the honor of unlocking the visual field of spinosauro dall'ingombro given by its rostrum, stereoscopy any better (but this can only determine this with skulls and articulated deformable).

The result is a bite "Impaler" that pushes the prey directly into the conical teeth, where it is literally pierced. Moreover, the fact that the main jaw tooth, the one who first impact with the prey, is parallel to the lines of muscle strength is a clear adaptation to maximize the effectiveness of the bite.
How powerful was that fish? A precise quantification is not possible, however, it should be noted that with increasing length of the rostrum, increases the moment of force exerted by the muscles at the mandibular rostrum. The skull of a long spinosauro was adapted to withstand the forces exerted by the same bite? The cross section of the rostrum, triangular, the presence of the long dorsal nasal crest that served as a point of discharge of the forces and the presence of long secondary palate (a mechanical contrivance to resist twisting), all adjustments are designed to support the intense stress caused from powerful bites. A further indication of this capacity is, at least in Spinosaurus, the rearward position of the nostrils: this meant that the entire region prior to the post nostrils were formed only by compact bone, with no holes or soft part, and then allowed to exercise its level of the rostrum of the considerable pressures without the risk of damaging vital parts such as the nostril. A demonstration of the incredible strength of the rostrums spinosauro is the tafonomia: the rostrums of spinosauro, as the example of Milan, it is often found still articulated after a hundred million years, while much of the skeleton is lost.

The move spinosauri as their bizarre skull? The anatomy of occipital Irritator (Sues et al., 2002) is very instructive: unlike allosauroidi in this condition, in which the muscle processes are specialized to enhance the ability to lower his head and shake sideways (adaptation brontof*gico "to tear the deep side of a prey size medium-large: red areas in the skull of Allosaurus below),are absent in spinosauri muscle listings specifically adapted to increase the lateral motion of the head, or push powerfully downwards(as basal tubers, which are important include the ventral muscles of the neck).

Then, the skull shows no adaptations to violently shake the prey, which was probably killed by the bite and teeth. The skull and jaw muscles and suggests that spinosauri have evolved a mechanism of"impaling" of medium-sized prey, seized with a relatively quick bite and powerful, deeply pierced with the rostral teeth and swallowed almost whole.
The anatomy dell'arto earlier Baryonyx known and probable spinosauroide Megaraptor, is in line with this hypothesis: as I wrote recently, Megaraptor shows that the earlier adjustments dell'arto suggest a technique based on hunting "impaling" of prey to operates the huge first unguale falciforme hand, moved by powerful pectoral muscles. Therefore, it is likely that the spinosauri they were "opportunistic Impaler", theropodi specialized for catching medium-sized prey (fish and terrestrial vertebrates), which were seized by mouth and pierced the concerted action of the teeth and the hypertrophic dell'unguale hand.Obviously, given the amount of Spinosaurus, it is possible that in his case they were also prey of medium size, as ornithopodi or young sauropodi.

Now, I feel the following factors about the fight can be gathered from the article.

-Spinosaurus had non-serrated teeth, making its bite in general about as effective for laccerating as a crocodile's.

-Spinosaurus's jaw was designed to impale small-medium prey items. It probably couldn't kill anything more than half a ton.

-Spinosaurus would have had difficulty moving its head from side to side. So, unlike a crocodile, it would have been effectively incapable of tearing flesh off of an adversary.

-Spinosaurus, since it had zero flesh-tearing ability, would have been unable to eat prey items it couldn't swallow whole. As such, it likely never bothered killing anything that didn't fit into its mouth.

So, because Spino was a small-game hunter with zero ability to tear or laccerate with its jaws, I give the fight to T-rex.

^All of the above only pertains to the Spino VS Rex argument .

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By terry2012

The only two that can probably take a T-Rex is Arcrocanthosaurus and Giganotosaurus. Spinosaurus had one major flaw and it was it back. The way a T-Rex battle is no way a Spionsaurus to engage a battle with a T-Rex. As it is explain in this video below should put to rest that a Spinosaurus can take a T-Rex

Just Fast Forward to the 39:00 minute mark and it tell you all you need to know. Spinosaurus does not have a chance against a T-Rex.

Avatar image for deactivated-64cb1ea5c275c
deactivated-64cb1ea5c275c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See, this is a common misconception, here's a copy and paste, so ignore SOME details:

"...Okay, for all the people saying that the Spinosaurus is outdated, you're right, but for the people saying it was 4 legged, that's debatable, see, here's a blog post by a paleontologist: http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/theres-something-fishy-about-spinosaurus9112014

However, its worth noting that the authors did make a rebuttal to this: http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/aquatic-spinosaurus-the-authors-responsd9182014

Now there isn't a war going on, and the authors do believe that they're right, and they aren't just people trying to "downgrade" Spinosaurus. Either way, the new discovery has shed some light on Spinosaurus as a whole, not just the legs. Firstly, its length was reduced, Spinosaurus had a much larger head proportionally than what was previously believed, that's where the 15.6 metre and 16 - 18 metre estimates came from (for MSNM V4047, the largest specimen, which was just a mandible). And, by extension, its mass. Which, when talking about animals, is used as a measurement of size, instead of length, height or width. As an Elephant is clearly larger than a Giraffe or a Reticulated Python, despite the latter two being taller and longer respectively, as mass is easier to measure than volume, and 99% of the time is indicative of volume.

In the 2014 paper, MSNM V4047 was estimated at ~15.2 metres, and 6 - 7 tonnes in weight. However, some other people have made extensive estimates and measurements, and ended up with different results: Either way, Spinosaurus is no longer the undisputed largest theropods, at 6 - 7.6 tonnes in weight. As Giganotosaurus carolinii was 12.4 - 13.2 metres in length, and 6.8 - 8.2 tonnes in weight. Carcharodontosaurus was 12.2 - 13.2 metres and 6.3 - ~8 tonnes in weight, T. rex was a 11.3 - 12.3 metres in length and 6.4 - 8.4 tonnes in weight. And Mapusaurus was 10.3 - 12.4 metres, and ~4 - ~7 tonnes in weight.

The similar weights at different lengths are due to their builds, the large Tyrannosaurines were really robust, solidly built and had almost comically wide abdomens. Spinosaurus was by far the longest theropod, but, by comparison was quite skinny and more streamlined, likely for aquatic life, and had a shallow torso for its length. While the Carcharodontosaurids were somewhere in the middle. Now keep in mind, since most of these theropods have very little, and some fragmentary remains, we cannot reliably estimate the actual mass of their populations. Even T. rex, with the most specimens, we cannot assume, we can, at best, use their average individuals, or the mean between their individuals (e.g. if 95% of specimens were 6 tonnes, and there were 5% that were 10 tonnes, use the 6 tonnes as the average.

But if we have very few specimens, either use the likely adult, as with Spinosaurus, or use the mean. The best I can do is compare individuals, so, since we cannot compare the averages of the species, I can use the average of the individuals, and the average estimates of said individuals. So:

Mapusaurus roseae - 11.4 metres, 5.3 tonnes

Spinosaurus aegyptiacus - 14.8 metres, 6.9 tonnes

Carcharodontosaurus saharicus - 12.7 metres, 7.2 tonnes

T. rex - 11.9 metres - 7.2 tonnes

Giganotosaurus carolinii - 12.8 metres, 7.3 tonnes

Again, the few specimens of most of these theropods make it nigh-impossible to accurately determine the average of the species. So for all we know, Mapusaurus' "maximum" could be its average, and Giganotosaurus' "minimum", could be its average.

Now, for the largest, I will use the highest estimates that are actually plausible, and aren't outdated:

Mapusaurus roseae - 12.4 metres, ~7 tonnes

Spinosaurus aegyptiacus (MSNM V4047) - 14.8 metres, 7.6 tonnes

Carcharodontosaurus saharicus (SGM DIN 1) - 13 metres, ~8 tonnes

Giganotosaurus carolinii (MUCPv-95) - 13.2 metres, 8.2 tonnes

Tyrannosaurus rex (FMNH PR 2081) - 12.3 metres, 8.83 tonnes

DO NOT, use these sizes as the averages of the species, but feel free to debate on the individuals. Also, this is really getting on my nerves...

BITE FORCE IS NOT EVERYTHING. A slashing, cutting bite can be just as deadly as a crushing one. Just in different ways, and in some cases, one will be highly effective against one creature and less useful against another, while the other will be the opposite way around. For example, a crushing bite will be more useful against an Ankylosaurus (which, is also overrated, the largest specimen was 5 tonnes), but not as useful against a large Sauropod, just for the latter's sheer size. While a slashing bite will be less effective against an Ankylosaurus, but more useful against a large sauropod, as they can let it bleed out, and use hit and run tactics more effectively.

Carnivores with a slashing bite also tend to have a larger gape than ones with a crushing bite, but there are exceptions, such as Crocodiles. Now Spinosaurus' bite is obviously a gripping one, it likely had a higher bite force than a Carcharodontosaurids. Due to the nature of the teeth, and the robustness of the skull from a top view. Similarly to how Crocodiles have powerful bites despite their elongated skulls, though to a lesser extent. It wasn't as slim as a Gharial's, nor as robust as a true Crocodiles. Somewhere in the middle, so its not going to have a 10 tonne bite force. Obviously specialized for fish. Though, against these theropods, its going to just be a weaker version of T. rex's bite, though still deadly, it would only have a fraction of T. rex's 6 tonne bite force. And admittedly would be the least effective, though, it could potentially use its bite to keep a hold on and possibly use its arms, though they are often exaggerated in efficiency. They are also obviously not adapted to slashing at a similarly sized opponent, against said opponent(s), they would probably have to use a grip and tear strategy. However, obviously, in deep(ish) water, they're all fodder to Spinosaurus. I also feel a need to post the 8.4 tonne estimate for T. rex, as it seems to be the most rejected estimate of all of these...for whatever reason some people still cling on to the 5 - 6 tonne T. rex of old... Anyway, here it is!

http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/mass-estimates-north-vs-south-redux772013

It also has the mass estimation for Giganotosaurus too, so there's that."

Edit: Lengths are measured along the centra, not over the curves of the spine, even though the latter is the "correct" way to measure their lengths, it avoids confusion, as 12.3 metres for Sue is pretty much universally accepted (except for people living in the past). Here's an example of Sue measured in a straight line, along the centra and over the curves of the spine: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-K0fMJPZ1apNHFldE81eWplNVk/view

Edit II: Not sure if "largest land based carnivore" is really doing it justice, as its a semi-aquatic creature.

Oh, and here's a more accurate size chart - https://franoys.deviantart.com/art/Giant-predatory-dinosaurs-comparison-616409616

And I know DeviantArt is (usually) a bad source, but there are some actual people on there that know what they're doing (e.g. Scott Hartman).

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spider-man one shots.

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No human can know the capabilities of these dinosaurs. It’s pure speculation what they could or could not do (unless there is information in cave paintings that discusses this, as these paintings most definitely show that humans and dinosaurs coexisted).

Avatar image for deactivated-5a39421825b35
deactivated-5a39421825b35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No human can know the capabilities of these dinosaurs. It’s pure speculation what they could or could not do (unless there is information in cave paintings that discusses this, as these paintings most definitely show that humans and dinosaurs coexisted).

Damn right! New Earth theory is bullshit but human kind is certainly much, much older than what is commonly accepted by the scientific community.

I have my doubts that humanity is even native to this planet.