Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Methos

Can a gadget defeat a superhero?

can a lightsaber cut through Superman? I put both gadget knowledge and superhero knowledge to the test and came up with reasons why it could and reasons why it couldn't.

Yes

===

• If the lightsaber crystal was green kryptonite, then Superman would melt like a hot knife through even hotter butter.

• Superman's been injured by lasers before (see most aliens he's fought), so an extremely focused laser like a lightsaber could possibly hurt him if applied directly to the skin for a long enough time.

• If he were under the effects of kryptonite, when even bullets can hurt him, then a lightsaber could definitely chop off parts of his body.

No

==

• It would just burn off his clothes, like in Superman 2, but it wouldn't hurt him.

• He uses lasers (his own heat vision) to shave himself, so the best the lightsaber could do would to singe his chest hair, or give him a nice shave down there.

• Jedi can't actually cut through "everything" with the sword. Example: the big huge door in Episode I. They had to jam in their lightsabers and "melt" a doorway inside the door. The sword was fast to go into the door because they applied all the force to the tip, but was slow cutting because the Jedi are only so strong. Picture you cutting through a watermelon. In the same principle, a lightsaber technically might be able to cut through Superman, but there's nobody strong enough to force it through. Unless you somehow get the Hulk to use a lightsaber. But the Hulk doesn't exist.

random thoughts...

M

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Methos says:

"Can a gadget defeat a superhero? can a lightsaber cut through Superman? I put both gadget knowledge and superhero knowledge to the test and came up with reasons why it could and reasons why it couldn't. Yes === • If the lightsaber crystal was green kryptonite, then Superman would melt like a hot knife through even hotter butter. • Superman's been injured by lasers before (see most aliens he's fought), so an extremely focused laser like a lightsaber could possibly hurt him if applied directly to the skin for a long enough time. • If he were under the effects of kryptonite, when even bullets can hurt him, then a lightsaber could definitely chop off parts of his body. No == • It would just burn off his clothes, like in Superman 2, but it wouldn't hurt him. • He uses lasers (his own heat vision) to shave himself, so the best the lightsaber could do would to singe his chest hair, or give him a nice shave down there. • Jedi can't actually cut through "everything" with the sword. Example: the big huge door in Episode I. They had to jam in their lightsabers and "melt" a doorway inside the door. The sword was fast to go into the door because they applied all the force to the tip, but was slow cutting because the Jedi are only so strong. Picture you cutting through a watermelon. In the same principle, a lightsaber technically might be able to cut through Superman, but there's nobody strong enough to force it through. Unless you somehow get the Hulk to use a lightsaber. But the Hulk doesn't exist. ------ random thoughts... M "

Methos, you scare me sometimes with what you think about.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Methos

lol, it's a purely logical argument :p

M

Copy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Copy

You think to much lol. And cool pic.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Methos says:

"lol, it's a purely logical argument :p M"

It is, but still Methos, why? LoL.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Methos

why not?

it was a question, so i answered it with pure logic :D

M

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gottheit

That's the boredest moderator Gottheit has ever seen.

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By NiteFly

You didn't mention that lightsabers cannot cut through everything. There are certain alloys that lightsabers cannot cut, and some that are resistant to being cut. Lightsabers also cannot cut through certain energy shields. Also kryptonite may not be able to power a lightsaber. Only certain crystals can even work.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Methos

it's part 1am nitefly... give me a break lol

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Methos

The Force Vs Superman...

hmm...

i doubt it...

for one it's not a mystially based power, it is scientific... so i think it would have the same effect as any normal attack...

i can't see force choke having any effect, unless the force behind it, basically the jedi / sith's willpower Vs Superman's innate strength...

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Methos

Force lightning maybe a problem though...

Superman Vs Lightning has never worked out well for him before...

the only problem i see is Superman Vs Jedi Mind Control... Superman's always had a problem against mind tricks before, hell, he's even been hypnotized before lol

M

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hadrelius

Methos says:

"why not? it was a question, so i answered it with pure logic :D M"

I agree with your logic that it wouldn't hurt him. They had a hard enough time cutting through that dorr in episode #1

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gottheit

Here's a question: Would Force Choke and other Force powers work on Kal-El?

Cryo-Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cryo-Wolf

Interesting...Very, Interesting.....

Meditate on this, I shall.

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Andferne

Well we do not know at what power level supes uses his heat vision to shve with. With that being said if it is at or more then what a lightsaber puts out then the jedi is in a bad place. But if the lightsaber is hotter, or more focused then it could very well be capable of cutting him.

I would say a lightsaber could cut supes about as well as a normal sword could a human.

Gottheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gottheit

I wonder how much of this information will be applicable on future dates I may have...That's the REAL mystery...

Avatar image for ulitmateninjagaidenx
ulitmateninjagaidenx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lightsaber are cool i wish i have one, but i don't thank it won't work on the fly boy

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Ms. Invisible

Superman can control how hot he wants his heat-vision to be, right? I've seen it blast through buildings, but at the same time he was able to use his heat-vision as a sewing needle when his symbol fell off from his costume in Birthright.

Like you said, lightsabers uses focused energy, so I'm guessing it could cut through Superman's skin.

Resonate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Resonate

Eternal Chaos says:

"Methos says:
"Can a gadget defeat a superhero? can a lightsaber cut through Superman? I put both gadget knowledge and superhero knowledge to the test and came up with reasons why it could and reasons why it couldn't. Yes === • If the lightsaber crystal was green kryptonite, then Superman would melt like a hot knife through even hotter butter. • Superman's been injured by lasers before (see most aliens he's fought), so an extremely focused laser like a lightsaber could possibly hurt him if applied directly to the skin for a long enough time. • If he were under the effects of kryptonite, when even bullets can hurt him, then a lightsaber could definitely chop off parts of his body. No == • It would just burn off his clothes, like in Superman 2, but it wouldn't hurt him. • He uses lasers (his own heat vision) to shave himself, so the best the lightsaber could do would to singe his chest hair, or give him a nice shave down there. • Jedi can't actually cut through "everything" with the sword. Example: the big huge door in Episode I. They had to jam in their lightsabers and "melt" a doorway inside the door. The sword was fast to go into the door because they applied all the force to the tip, but was slow cutting because the Jedi are only so strong. Picture you cutting through a watermelon. In the same principle, a lightsaber technically might be able to cut through Superman, but there's nobody strong enough to force it through. Unless you somehow get the Hulk to use a lightsaber. But the Hulk doesn't exist. ------ random thoughts... M "
Methos, you scare me sometimes with what you think about."

Wow..I was planning on doing something along the lines of this...wow lol

Mighty Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mighty Magneto

Interesting Idea Methos

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

Jedi mind tricks only work against the weak minded, some how I see Superman being a little too focused (especially in a fight) for most Jedi. I agree that the force, not being magical, would probably only effect Superman if the force user was powerful enough to overcome his invulnerability and strength.

Which leaves the lightsaber itself. As has been mentioned, there are substances in the Star Wars universe that are resistant to lightsabers. Superman's protection comes partly (in some versions) from an energy field his body projects. In a way, I see Superman as being like a living vibroweapon, but that's a personal opinion. Of course we're talking about the reaction between two fictional energy fields, so there is no conclusive answer.

If I was to write this as a fight between Superman and one or (probably) more Jedi/Sith, I would say that lightsabers can hurt him, but that he is heavily resistant. In other words, that they can cut him but they only inflict surface wounds as he is like that blast door in Episode 1 requiring continued pressure rather than quick slices to cut deeply.

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NiteFly

Agreed.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Methos says:

"why not? it was a question, so i answered it with pure logic :D M"

It scares me that you asked this question Methos...

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sparda

I think if you got someone strong enough with the LS, it could cut through him, yep. Dunno if there's any Jedi/Sith out there that strong, though.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Eternal Chaos

Sparda says:

"I think if you got someone strong enough with the LS, it could cut through him, yep. Dunno if there's any Jedi/Sith out there that strong, though."

I say give either Hulk, or Sentry/Void a Lightsaber. It'll go through, and it'll work wonders.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By King_Saturn

I dont know if a lightsaber would work on Superman

Copy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Copy

This whole thing is getting me into Jedi's again.

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Andferne

Jedi and Sith are capable of useing the force to increase thier speed, strength, and agility. So it is possiable that one of them could be strong enough. I just do not know how much they could boost it.

Avatar image for alexander_anderson
Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say the Superman's skin would not be completely immune, but would still be highly resistant, something along the lines of Mandalorian Iron. Of course, Superman's many other advantages would allow him to murder pretty much any Jedi or Sith, with the possible exception of Darth Nihilus.

Avatar image for deactived-3246821
deactived-3246821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Methos says:

"Unless you somehow get the Hulk to use a lightsaber. But the Hulk doesn't exist."

Neither does a lightsabre or Superman...

Adidas Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Adidas Demon

Sorry. too lazy to read every post. So my post might be redone. But: If a lightsaber can't cut Superman. Adamantium has no chance. Right?

Avatar image for deactived-3246821
deactived-3246821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cant see it being able to cut adamantium.

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lordraiden

Gottheit says:

"Here's a question: Would Force Choke and other Force powers work on Kal-El?"

Considering his internal organs are invulnerable, I would have to say No! He's too powerfull, too quick to even stand there to be force choked! those sought of tricks work on less powerfull people!

Avatar image for superboy_prime_10000
Superboy-Prime 10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Methos says:

I don't think Lightsabers can cut through Superman.According to scientist,lightsabers can be define as Plasma

http://www.light-sabers.net/lightsaber-science.html

"We see plasma every day. The sun itself is made out of plasma, being a giant ball of superheated glowing hydrogen. Lightning is an example of the gases in the atmosphere igniting into a streak of plasma as an electric discharge crashes from sky to Earth. Neon and fluorescent tubes (reminiscent of a lightsaber) are also examples of an electric charge igniting a gas, although at lower temperatures."

Superman has dive into the core of the sun many times just to get power boost.This is where people called "Sundipped" in "Our Worlds at War".So,a little plasma from a lightsaber seems insignificant when compared to heat of the core of the sun.

Superman's heat vision was way hotter than the core of the sun,this is the only thing that can cut through his skin/hair.Using Heat Vision is the only way IIRC for Superman to have his shave.

As for Kryptonite,If I recalled correctly that in the comics Superman was shot numerous times with Kryptonite bullets.Did the bullet cut through his skin?No,the kryptonite bullets shattered when it hits his body.But because of this,it made the work to throw away the shattered pieces of Kryptonite away from Superman become more difficult.

Don't believe that Kryptonite can cut through Superman as you see it in "Smallville" or "Superman Returns"

If a lighsaber is powered by Kryptonite,for example.The radiation leaks out would weaken him,but still,the lightsabers still wouldn't cut through him.Like I've stated above.

But the problem is,Kryptonite is a kind of metal,this is even confirmed by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster in "The K-Metal from Krypton",while Lightsabers are powered Crystal.I doubt that lightsabers powered by Kryptonite would even work normally as it does.

Avatar image for legendary_bio_vishanti
Legendary Bio Vishanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So if Supes shaves himself with his laser vision, what if a very loud noise occurs and he looks at himself by accident?

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sparda

How does he shave himself like that? Doesn't he have to look at where he's shaving?

How do you look at your chin?

Avatar image for superboy_prime_10000
Superboy-Prime 10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sparda says:

"How does he shave himself like that? Doesn't he have to look at where he's shaving? How do you look at your chin?"
Haha,Funny.But Superman has Eidetic Memory,right? So,he remembers every hair in his beard perfectly. Here's how he shaves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnzfxrPove4Early Superman(Silver Age) shaves using a reflective metal from Krypton where he get it from his spaceship.Todays Superman seems just fine by shaving using mirrors.
Post Edited:2008-02-03 03:30:13