#1 Edited by Inphase (315 posts) - - Show Bio

This is going to sound confusing, and I know this has been done before. The race takes place in space, flash can breath, and can run through the vacuum as if he were on earth. Superman can fly at maximum speed. Who would win the race? The only reason I made this in space is because I've noticed that Superman seems to take a precaution and slow down when flying on, or near the earth.

EDIT: Its Pre crisis superman

#2 Posted by MonsterStomp (13087 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Edited by LimpoyzLoan (1488 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash gets him at first, but the thing with Superman is that he can accelerate to infinite. Not in an instant, but eventually he'll get there.

#4 Posted by Sufferthorn (1734 posts) - - Show Bio

Supes doesn't have the Speed Force man.

#5 Edited by therrieur (245 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash, because space gives flash an advantage too, because there is no more air friction dropping his speed down, he's THE FASTEST MAN ALIVE (kryptonians included).

#6 Edited by Dredeuced (4399 posts) - - Show Bio

@limpoyzloan said:

Flash gets him at first, but the thing with Superman is that he can accelerate to infinite. Not in an instant, but eventually he'll get there.

I've had this argument with someone before and it's not true. Superman would actually eventually run out of energy (he tires out after a few weeks of no Yellow Sun radiation) -- you would have to have infinite energy to accelerate infinitely. Flash also tires out, but technically his energy source is infinite (Speed Force).

Flash also accelerates massively faster than Superman , and if it's Wally, he doesn't actually need to eat or sleep thanks to his closeness with the Speed Force.

All of this said, current Superman beats current Flash. He has superior travel feats thusfar.

#7 Edited by tasir (303 posts) - - Show Bio

which flash

#8 Posted by Bane_of_sith (2700 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't superman recently fly to Pluto and back in less than a minute? That would put his speed somewhere in the vicinity of 150 times FTL ...this should be close,,I might favor supes in space

#9 Edited by CalebHara (2329 posts) - - Show Bio

Wally would murder him in a race.

#10 Posted by Inphase (315 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: You want numbers? Well I'd have to make it pretty lengthy for these guys, 900 trillion miles.

#11 Edited by SlimJ87D (8906 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Edited by Dredeuced (4399 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't superman recently fly to Pluto and back in less than a minute? That would put his speed somewhere in the vicinity of 150 times FTL ...this should be close,,I might favor supes in space

Yes, 150-300 depending on the distance. Superman is massively, absurdly faster than Flash right now. Flash has only gone lightspeed and nothing more in New 52, he doesn't hold a candle to Superman when it comes to travel speed.

#13 Posted by Wardemon32 (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

@bane_of_sith: 150 times FTL??? I think your math is way of on this one lol

#14 Posted by MonsterStomp (13087 posts) - - Show Bio

@inphase: Superman wins. 900 trillion miles is like 100 lightyears. Flash in pre-52 was wasted after running 8 million miles in 0.0001 of a second.

#15 Edited by Dredeuced (4399 posts) - - Show Bio

@inphase: Superman wins. 900 trillion miles is like 100 lightyears. Flash in pre-52 was wasted after running 8 million miles in 0.0001 of a second.

I think that was more due to how fast he was going. Wally outran the big bang and literally ran till the end of time to outrun the black racer without tiring. I don't even think it was ever stated he was outright tired after the nuke feat, either -- he just didn't know if they could stop Fernus.

#16 Edited by MonsterStomp (13087 posts) - - Show Bio

Pluto is 2,961,117,446 miles from Earth. If I had an exact time, I could get a friend to calculate it lol.

#17 Posted by Dredeuced (4399 posts) - - Show Bio

Pluto is 2,961,117,446 miles from Earth. If I had an exact time, I could get a friend to calculate it lol.

Pluto's distance from the Earth changes depending on what part of the orbit either planet is in.

#18 Edited by MonsterStomp (13087 posts) - - Show Bio

@dredeuced: 4.3 billion kilometers is the closest Pluto would be to Earth then. According to wiki. Which would be 2,671,896,126.6 miles.

#19 Edited by Dredeuced (4399 posts) - - Show Bio

@wardemon32 said:

@bane_of_sith: 150 times FTL??? I think your math is way of on this one lol

Traveled from Pluto to Earth in a minute to catch up with Red Hood's teleporter. Depending on what part of its orbit Pluto and Earth were, this is at bare minimum 150x FTL, most likely more.

@monsterstomp said:

@dredeuced: 4.3 billion kilometers is the closest Pluto would be to Earth then. According to wiki. Which would be 2,671,896,126.6 miles.

If that is the case, then it takes light 14,343 seconds to travel that far. Divide that by 60 to get minutes and superman is 239x the speed of light.

Superman is, at bare minimum, 239x faster than Flash right now in New-52. Fastest man alive my rump, heh.

#20 Edited by MonsterStomp (13087 posts) - - Show Bio

@dredeuced: Interesting. *Waits for Flash to top that*.

#21 Posted by Dredeuced (4399 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: You're gonna be waiting a long time, I think. No one on DC Earth is gonna top Lobdell's superman wanks. But, canon is canon.

#22 Edited by Wardemon32 (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

@dredeuced: This looks like Smallville series. Is he faster than Bart???

#23 Edited by Dredeuced (4399 posts) - - Show Bio

@wardemon32: Bart's got garbage for feats, so yeah? Bart's not even Bart, apparently.

Superman has the fastest travel speed of all New-52 Earth heroes, excluding Teleportation like Boomtubes.

#24 Posted by comic_book_fan (4454 posts) - - Show Bio

flash.

#25 Edited by Inphase (315 posts) - - Show Bio

How fast is the Flash compared to this?

#26 Posted by Raw_Material (3207 posts) - - Show Bio

Barry will eventually outrun him.

Wally will smoke him.

#27 Edited by Dredeuced (4399 posts) - - Show Bio

@inphase: He isn't. Silver Age Superman is the only character to ever go so fast that the Presence himself had to stop to talk to him about not doing it again. It's why we ignore the Silver Age for the most part.

Though, technically, Wally has traversed endless dimensions before using his powers.

#28 Posted by ComicStooge (9605 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems like this thread was stacked so Superman would win.

#29 Posted by cfrehse (989 posts) - - Show Bio

@dredeuced: wait are you talking new 52? i read captain atom and flash was crazy fast in his comics when atom was moving around the world in milliseconds. but thats the only think i have read with wally. I read on hel on earth from new 52

#30 Posted by Dredeuced (4399 posts) - - Show Bio

@cfrehse said:

@dredeuced: wait are you talking new 52? i read captain atom and flash was crazy fast in his comics when atom was moving around the world in milliseconds. but thats the only think i have read with wally. I read on hel on earth from new 52

Wally does not exist in the New 52 so no, I'm not talking New 52.

#31 Posted by Lvenger (15993 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: You're gonna be waiting a long time, I think. No one on DC Earth is gonna top Lobdell's superman wanks. But, canon is canon.

Well he has given me a good lifting strength and striking feat for Superman so that's one of the few good things about his run.

#32 Posted by russellmania77 (13563 posts) - - Show Bio

@inphase said:

How fast is the Flash compared to this?

#33 Posted by Inphase (315 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by russellmania77 (13563 posts) - - Show Bio

@inphase said:

@russellmania77: What was the point of showing that?

nothing. what was the point of showing the first pic? thats obviously s. a. superman

#35 Edited by Dredeuced (4399 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@dredeuced said:

Well he has given me a good lifting strength and striking feat for Superman so that's one of the few good things about his run.

I don't care if Superman gets feats. I care about how he does it. The lifting strength thing was the stupidest wanking I've ever seen -- it literally has no context or purpose in the story, it's just there to say "SUPERMAN STRONG" When he starts beating up H'el and punches hard enough to move the earth, that's fine, but the robot built to show off how great Superman is is such dumb crap. Lobdell's also a terrible writer and is getting something around a bajillion titles to run, but that's not really important to this forum.

#36 Edited by Lvenger (15993 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care if Superman gets feats. I care about how he does it. The lifting strength thing was the stupidest wanking I've ever seen -- it literally has no context or purpose in the story, it's just there to say "SUPERMAN STRONG" When he starts beating up H'el and punches hard enough to move the earth, that's fine, but the robot built to show off how great Superman is is such dumb crap. Lobdell's also a terrible writer and is getting something around a bajillion titles to run, but that's not really important to this forum.

Heh I forgot internet sarcasm doesn't transmit well. I totally agree with what you've said. Lobdell's high end feats don't really serve any purpose within the context of the story. They're probably there to distract everyone from his awful writing. His run on Superman has been mediocre at best and what he's done to the Titans and Tim Drake is abominable IMO.

#37 Edited by toptom (1140 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@dredeuced said:

Heh I forgot internet sarcasm doesn't transmit well. I totally agree with what you've said. Lobdell's high end feats don't really serve any purpose within the context of the story. They're probably there to distract everyone from his awful writing. His run on Superman has been mediocre at best and what he's done to the Titans and Tim Drake is abominable IMO.

actually superman wanted to test his strenght afther his "fight" with helspont. He said that he needed to push himself further than before, and that makes sense since he was defeated pretty hard.

then lobdel has probably done that in order to: show that this superman is stronger than the action comics's younger one( explaining that his powers develop with the time) ,and to introduce the Dr Veritas character. so it was not a feat that has an end in itself. ( besides that it was one of the coolest moment in that story arc)

#38 Posted by HyperViper97 (1308 posts) - - Show Bio

If this is Wally he wins easily

#39 Posted by AngryHulks (2965 posts) - - Show Bio

Pre-crisis Superman can move and react faster than light, I'm not sure if that's faster than Barry or West, but I'm definitely sure that he's faster than Garrick (actually even post-crisis Superman is about on par with Garrick at maximum speed).

#40 Edited by BigCimmerian (7559 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash leaves him eating dust.

#41 Edited by Dredeuced (4399 posts) - - Show Bio

Pre-crisis Superman can move and react faster than light, I'm not sure if that's faster than Barry or West, but I'm definitely sure that he's faster than Garrick (actually even post-crisis Superman is about on par with Garrick at maximum speed).

He's actually faster. Garrick can only go lightspeed or risk getting sucked into the Speed Force -- Superman can go FTL without worrying about it, even if it takes him longer to build up speed.

#42 Edited by PCN24454 (454 posts) - - Show Bio

In Smallville, Bart was faster than Clark running BACKWARDS.