#1 Posted by Fetts (4466 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking I would just ask if Superman could survive that planet shattering blast that destroyed Alderaan but I figured that would look lame. Fight is to the death (or destruction). 

vs 

#2 Edited by superdemon (2342 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly see Superman ripping the thing apart like paper. He can easily dodge the blast.

#3 Posted by PirateKing69 (4290 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman can destroy it...shouldn't be hard either

#4 Posted by Fetts (4466 posts) - - Show Bio
@superdemon: Lol. Good point. But do you think Superman could survive a hit like the one that destroyed Alderaan?
#5 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@PirateKing69 said:
" Superman can destroy it...shouldn't be hard either "
#6 Posted by superdemon (2342 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fetts said:
" @superdemon: Lol. Good point. But do you think Superman could survive a hit like the one that destroyed Alderaan? "
A planet busting attack? Yes. But he'd probably be KO'd.
#7 Posted by sentryssj4 (433 posts) - - Show Bio
@superdemon:  
what about if it shot him once and then again while he was knocked out
#8 Edited by superdemon (2342 posts) - - Show Bio
@sentryssj4 said:

" @superdemon:  what about if it shot him once and then again while he was knocked out "

Naw. Body is too durable.
#9 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as i hate superman and hate to admit it.... he would win...

#10 Posted by Project_Worm (3405 posts) - - Show Bio
@superdemon:  
yeah your probably right unless they picked him up and took him to a place without a yellow sun and the shot him again hahaha
#11 Posted by The Average Bear (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
Superman uses X-ray vision to determine the weak point of the DS and proceeds to tear it apart. 
#12 Posted by Silver2467 (16527 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Average Bear said:
" Superman uses X-ray vision to determine the weak point of the DS and proceeds to tear it apart.  "
Or he just punches it, and it breaks in half. 

^_^
#13 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Average Bear said:
"Superman uses X-ray vision to determine the weak point of the DS and proceeds to tear it apart.  "
#14 Edited by MKF30 (11635 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman wins this easy with no sweat, especially if he's not in the mood to mess around...he's also been thru a lot worse then a blast from DS. He's survived planet busting explosions before, flew thru the sun and as most people know extremely durable and heals well. 

He really has a ton of options, charged Heat Vision blast, can fly right thru it literally breaking it in two, can just break it with his hands, bust the weapon/laser point and go from there, toss a planet at it lol or huge ass asteroid...really has a number of options.

#15 Posted by Nefarious (20286 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman would stomp it. 

#16 Posted by Pr_Beyonder (2440 posts) - - Show Bio
@Silver2467 said:
" @The Average Bear said:
" Superman uses X-ray vision to determine the weak point of the DS and proceeds to tear it apart.  "
Or he just punches it, and it breaks in half.  ^_^ "

:)
#17 Edited by OmegaDynasty (9190 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman will other use his strength to win this or use his heat vision on it. 

#18 Posted by MrDirector786 (43552 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fetts said:
" @superdemon: Lol. Good point. But do you think Superman could survive a hit like the one that destroyed Alderaan? "
He would survive. He has survived an exploding sun and from two planets smashing into him and once took a blast that could split the Earth in half. But he was knocked out in the former two instances, I don't know about the third instance though all I know is he survived I don't know if he was KO'd.

As for this battle, Superman blitzes the thing and smashes it apart like he did to the Shadow moon.
#19 Posted by termiteone4ever (7321 posts) - - Show Bio

Supes would rip this a new planet hole

#20 Posted by Freefa11 (2367 posts) - - Show Bio

You might want to do a search for a thread called "Who can survive a hit from the Deathstar" (or something like that). Popped up shortly after I joined this site, I think. There were quite a lot of idea thrown around in that one, and it basically did end up being a "Superman vs. Deathstar" thread, although there were also a couple people arguing strongly in favor of Thor and Mr. Majestic (I would actually be somewhat more open to Majestic doing it now; still don't know much about him first hand, but what I've heard sounds like he's closer to SMP levels than vanilla Superman).

Anyway, the Deathstar has been calculated to hit with significantly greater energy than the minimum for planet-busting (about a half-million times more). I do not believe Superman has ever tanked anything that could reliably be considered even remotely close to that much power. 

Of course, in an actual fight all this power counts for beans if the super laser can't even hit him, and I'm not really sure how it could, since we never see it target anything nearly as small or maneuverable as Superman. Then again, the DS I had a number of turbolaser batteries, and if they are anything like Deathstar heavy turbolasers, then they're still hitting with something in the area of a couple hundred gigatons of energy. Of course, they were also missing X-Wings pretty regularly, so they still probably won't nail Supes.

I honestly have no clue how strong its shields are though, so I'm not sure how hard it would be for him to actually get through to it, although if we're talking Alderaan, then I guess that means DS I, which didn't seem to even have any shields (which is kind of an obvious design flaw; maybe that's why they made such a big deal about the second one having them).

#21 Posted by JediXMan (30592 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman, easily.

Is this a battle or just a test to see if Superman could take a hit from it or not? That could be interesting.

Moderator Online
#22 Posted by sxgt (239 posts) - - Show Bio

In space things don't work like you think. Mass does not matter. The idea that he can even fly is space is absurd.

#23 Posted by Valtot (4502 posts) - - Show Bio

supermans tanked moon busting blasts before effortessly while planet busting blasts knock him out but he never gets an injury lol
#24 Posted by goldenshot80 (7349 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman of course, but Could he survive a full blast from him?

#25 Posted by Freefa11 (2367 posts) - - Show Bio
@sxgt: ??? Mass matters plenty, that's where gravity comes from. And objects still have inertia. 

@Valtot: Yeah, but again, we're not just talking something that could destroy the earth, we're talking something that could destroy the earth a half million times over. That's a pretty big difference. 

Plus, I'm not sure Superman has actually tanked an amount of energy equal to a planet buster anyway. People like to bring up the supernova, but he would have actually only taken a very small fraction of the energy that a planet would have because he's so tiny, and the energy from an explosion is spread out everywhere; having it all concentrated into a laser beam is a different story.
#26 Posted by Valtot (4502 posts) - - Show Bio
@Freefa11:
with the supernova the surrounding planets were getting wiped out but he didnt- so thats a durablity feat and theres been other feats of him taking planet busting blasts anyway
#27 Posted by Freefa11 (2367 posts) - - Show Bio
@Valtot: Like I said though, Superman is very tiny. He can only be harmed by the part of the explosion that actually touches him, which is going to be a very tiny part, considering how big a star is. The planets are billions and billions of times bigger, meaning that they will get hit with billions and billions of times as much energy (actually quite a lot more, but I don't feel like looking up the size of the earth right now).
#28 Posted by Assman (1840 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
"Superman, easily.  Is this a battle or just a test to see if Superman could take a hit from it or not? That could be interesting."

This, basically.  Superman has SS, doubt he'd stand right in front of the DS.  He could tear apart the DS at SS either way, and don't see the DS hitting him with anything he hasn't already taken and walked away from.
#29 Edited by MKF30 (11635 posts) - - Show Bio

@sxt, well you're forgetting two key things. 1. It's Superman, he can do a lot of things the typical person can't do... and 2. It's comics man come on, if you want to go that route then I can go into so many things with comics in general, like a guy eating planets to stay alive? Yeah...that makes sense lol It's fiction dude. 

Supes can take the hit from DS, worse case scenario he'll be knocked out for a few seconds then recover since he's been thru worse in his history.

#30 Posted by catofellow (256 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you have to make a few assumption for this fight. Since current superman cannot survive as long in space as Silver Age Superman, you can safely assume:

The battle is near earth.

The death star's primary weapon would be oriented toward earth

Superman would be approaching the death star from earth.

Now this brings up the question of whether Superman would be fast enough to dodge the blast, were it to be directed exactly at him. Now, we do not have any confirmation that the death star could target anything that small (or fast) with its primary weapon. However the question is irrelevant since Superman would probably go out of his way to try to block the blast of the death star to protect the earth.

Now I think the death star's blast would be enough to knock out Superman, so the battle comes down to whether Superman is large enough to tank enough of the blast to prevent the earth destruction. I think the answer is no, thus the Death Star wins as Superman awakes in the ruins of earth, and cannot fly fast enough to a hospitable planet before he runs out of oxygen.

#31 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21842 posts) - - Show Bio

@catofellow said:

I think you have to make a few assumption for this fight. Since current superman cannot survive as long in space as Silver Age Superman, you can safely assume:

Now this brings up the question of whether Superman would be fast enough to dodge the blast, were it to be directed exactly at him. Now, we do not have any confirmation that the death star could target anything that small (or fast) with its primary weapon. However the question is irrelevant since Superman would probably go out of his way to try to block the blast of the death star to protect the earth.

Now I think the death star's blast would be enough to knock out Superman, so the battle comes down to whether Superman is large enough to tank enough of the blast to prevent the earth destruction. I think the answer is no, thus the Death Star wins as Superman awakes in the ruins of earth, and cannot fly fast enough to a hospitable planet before he runs out of oxygen.

new 52 supes needs no oxygen. nether did pre flashpoint. only early new world needed oxygen. new 52 supes is hundreds of time FTL so he easly dodges it. he could probably fight some with his heat vision and then tank the rest. also if he saw the green lights turn on he'd instantly fly next tothe death star and spin it backwards to avoid the earth.

#32 Posted by AngryHulks (3001 posts) - - Show Bio

@catofellow said:

I'm Star Wars fan and from what I observed over the years, "lasers" in Star Wars travels substantially slower than light, because the audience easily sees it moving.

#33 Posted by catofellow (256 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman said:

new 52 supes needs no oxygen. nether did pre flashpoint. only early new world needed oxygen. new 52 supes is hundreds of time FTL so he easly dodges it. he could probably fight some with his heat vision and then tank the rest. also if he saw the green lights turn on he'd instantly fly next tothe death star and spin it backwards to avoid the earth.

I don't think this is correct though. Could Superman realistically fly to another planet before dying? Could he even find it? Also, if he was hundreds of times the speed of light, does that put him faster than the Flash? Any why wouldn't that send him back in time?

@AngryHulks said:

I'm Star Wars fan and from what I observed over the years, "lasers" in Star Wars travels substantially slower than light, because the audience easily sees it moving.

That is a very good point, but I don't think it matters. Superman would try to block, not dodge. Also, there are several scientific inaccuracies that we need to overlook in Star Wars or any other action movie. The woosh sound of tie fighters as they fly by, the star destroyers seeming falling as if pulled by gravity when they are blown up etc. It just makes better cinema.

#34 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21842 posts) - - Show Bio

@catofellow said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

I don't think this is correct though. Could Superman realistically fly to another planet before dying? Could he even find it? Also, if he was hundreds of times the speed of light, does that put him faster than the Flash? Any why wouldn't that send him back in time?

yes superman is definetly hundreds of times FTL. it makes him faster than the new 52 flash i think? thats real world logic your trying to work with comic book logic... it just doesnt work like that. superman is smart and strong enough to move/spin the death star. and im pretty sure he could take the blast too.

#35 Posted by Inphase (329 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you asking if he would be able to destroy the Death Star? If so, yes without a doubt. Can he survive the blast though? Again, yes. Superman draws his power from a yellow sun which emits radiation. The Death Star's blast also emits a large amount of radiation, whether it would hurt, or benefit superman though, I don't know. He would still survive though.

#36 Posted by catofellow (256 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman said:

yes superman is definetly hundreds of times FTL. it makes him faster than the new 52 flash i think? thats real world logic your trying to work with comic book logic... it just doesnt work like that. superman is smart and strong enough to move/spin the death star. and im pretty sure he could take the blast too.

I find it really hard to believe that DC would write superman that fast. Where has he ever demonstrated this level of speed?

Superman would only be able to move/spin the death star if he knew the schematics of the death star, e.g. Leia via R2D2. The death star has various secondary weapons, which may look as devastating to the uninitiated as the primary weapon. If he saw a moon sized ship, I doubt he would immediately know its threats and weaknesses prior to it getting a shot off.

#37 Posted by Sabboth (76 posts) - - Show Bio

@catofellow said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

Superman would only be able to move/spin the death star if he knew the schematics of the death star, e.g. Leia via R2D2. The death star has various secondary weapons, which may look as devastating to the uninitiated as the primary weapon. If he saw a moon sized ship, I doubt he would immediately know its threats and weaknesses prior to it getting a shot off.

The OP doesn't state anything about the death star being aimed at the Earth, so it doesn't really matter. Once the main weapon starts to charge supes will be on the other side of it and then it's all over.

#38 Posted by Ancient_0f_Days (12171 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman surviving a super nova is above the amount of damage the Deathstar is capable of doing....

#39 Posted by AmazingScrewOnHead (712 posts) - - Show Bio

Put some Krytponite in the cannon and its a different story, god i hate superman he is to stronk and needs to be weakened.

#40 Posted by AngryHulks (3001 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if Superman can't survive the Death Star's blast, he should still be able to dodge it.

Can Death Star targets man-sized target?

#41 Posted by WillPayton (9439 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ancient_0f_Days said:

Superman surviving a super nova is above the amount of damage the Deathstar is capable of doing....

How do you figure?

#42 Posted by WillPayton (9439 posts) - - Show Bio

After some consideration and assuming that Superman would be barely able to survive a planet-busting supernova blast (i.e. a supernova at a distance where the power of the blast is barely enough to destroy a planet), I've concluded that: A hit from the Death Star would absolutely kill Superman.

#43 Posted by iamthewolf88 (346 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman crumbles it into pieces.

#44 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think the laser can KILL him, considering he had survived more powerful energy blast before...but the superlaser will sure Knockout Supes to unconscious...

#45 Posted by WillPayton (9439 posts) - - Show Bio

@GodDamnIronMan said:

I don't think the laser can KILL him, considering he had survived more powerful energy blast before...but the superlaser will sure Knockout Supes to unconscious...

When has Superman survived a more powerful hit than the Death Star weapon can hit him with?