Superman vs Captain America's shield

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By willpayton

Pre-52 Superman going all out, punches Captain America's shield. Would it break?

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By nefarious

Nope. Not even Thor's hammer can break it.

Gritterr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gritterr

Only magic or Matter manipulation will break caps shield

Typhion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Typhion

Nope, but Cap's going for a long ride lol.

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sydpart2

shield will be ok, but cap is loosing the arm, shoulder, nerve endings in his neck

Avatar image for cerberusprime3k
CerberusPrime3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CerberusPrime3k

Yeah the shield will be ok but what ever is behind it ......not so much....

P0wer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By P0wer

The outside of the shield will be fine maybe, but the inside who knows whats actually in it and if it can be damaged.

whacknasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By whacknasty

@Typhion said:

Nope, but Cap's going for a long ride lol.

Lol. Funny image.

I agree the shield would probably be ok if Supes just punched it as hard as he could. Does anyone think he could rip/bend/dent it? I remember someone saying Maestro ripped or bent true adamantium, so maybe Supes could duplicate that with the shield? Or is the shield more durable than true adamantium? (Or would that feat be non canon anyway and count as much as a can of beans? lol)

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Not bad photoshopping there.

Cap's shield can take the hit.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Suprman

yeah his shield can take the hit, but he's going for a long ride that ends in lower orbit. And that's if his arm or even body, survives the impact.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By jwalser3

I never really read any Captain America stuff, is his shield that strong?

Typhion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Typhion

@jwalser3 said:

I never really read any Captain America stuff, is his shield that strong?

Yep. It's an accidental one of a kind vibranium alloy. Trumps adamantium.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By willpayton

@JediXMan said:

Not bad photoshopping there.

Cap's shield can take the hit.

Thank you!

XEL820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By XEL820

@Suprman said:

yeah his shield can take the hit, but he's going for a long ride that ends in lower orbit. And that's if his arm or even body, survives the impact.

Wouldn't the shield absorb the impact of the blow? It'd pretty much end up being Superman pushing Cap with all his strength, wouldn't it?

stonerthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By stonerthps
@XEL820 said:

@Suprman said:

Wouldn't the shield absorb the impact of the blow? It'd pretty much end up being Superman pushing Cap with all his strength, wouldn't it?

That's how I would see it too. I don't think cap would go anywhere. The shield would absorb the hit.
willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By willpayton

@stonerthps said:

@XEL820 said:

@Suprman said:

That's how I would see it too. I don't think cap would go anywhere. The shield would absorb the hit.

Would it absorb the energy or just turn it back onto Superman? I mean, the shield seems to bounce off of things with little energy loss, an almost completely elastic collision. There's no difference between the shield hitting something and bouncing off, and something hitting the shield and bouncing off, from a physics point of view it's the same event. This would mean Superman's fist would just bounce off. So, would Superman just break his hand?

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Enosisik

Cap shouldn't be hurt by it since it absobs impact. Superman might go flying from his fist bouncing off so fast. Cap's shield is inconsistent in that way.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By tg1982

Cap's shield would survive unscathed from Superman, and Cap's shield would absorb most of the impact, but probably not all of it, as Cap has been pushed back by a full powered lightning blast from Thor, and other powerful attacks from enemies before. So I would hazard a guess and say there are two factors in determining if Cap and his shield get moved or go flying back...

#1) Is there seems to be a limit to the shield's energy absorbtion abilities, granted a super high limit, but it does seem to exist, in the case of Thor blasting Cap with his lightning, they were testing Cap's shield and Cap was prepared and ready for it but still had to put an arm against the wall to brace himself from moving back.

#2) It also seems that if he is surprised or unprepared he can get knoced back fairly far, such as when Iron Fist used to Iron Fist on him and Cap barely got his shield up in time,

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

and most recently in AvsX when Cyclops blasted him sending him back several feet

No Caption Provided

Perhaps he needs to hold it in a specific way (position or angle) to avoid being blasted back which would explain why if he gets hit unexpectedly or too fast to react he gets sent flying. Just my opinion, tho.

Kind of off topic though, so I apologize for that. But yes Cap's shield would survive unscathed from a full powered punch from Superman.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Supreme Marvel

If a punch doesn't work. Why not push him into the ground with it.

Remi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Remi

Nah.

XEL820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By XEL820

@tg1982: @Enosisik: @WillPayton:

Does it bounce energy? I thought it just absorbed it? But even if the energy of the initial contact was absorbed, what I see happening is; Superman now has he fist on the shield and is pushing it with all his might. So while Cap might take no damage from the punch itself, he'll definitely go flying. That explains why in several of those scans he took the blows with no injuries but was still lifted off his feet, especially with Cyclops. Cyclops's beams generate concussive force. Because of that, the shield can absorb the beams initial force, but after that, the force that the beam still carries as a whole will push Ca[ back. Am I making sense? lol

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TifaLockhart

A better question would be does Superman break his hand?

I wonder if the paint would come off. But yeah, Captain America's shield is just that incredibly durable. It would be fine.

Hung_Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hung_Justice

I see my Flash vs Cap's Shield thread has raised questions. But I doubt a hundred percent that Superman could break the shield, in fact; I think the shield will just force Superman back and Cap's arm will be fine.

Avatar image for iknoweverything
IKnowEverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By IKnowEverything

The shield is consistent at deflecting blows, but inconsistent about whether or not the attack knocks cap off his feat. Regardless though the shield is fine. The only think I'm not sure of is what happens to cap behind the shield...

FourthDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By FourthDeity

@Sydpart2 said:

shield will be ok, but cap is loosing the arm, shoulder, nerve endings in his neck

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Enosisik

Exel820. It absorbs and deflects as far as I know. You have to take account that it's not made of 100% vibranium which if it were it probably wouldn't bounce but would just fall to the ground on impact after a throw. Idk this might be something to ask a writer.

AngryHulks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AngryHulks

Well, Invisible Woman once cloak Captain America so that he can protect Reed Richards while tricking Gladiator at the same time.

Gladiator punch Reed Richards, who happens to be under invisible Captain's protection, he lash out as much punch and heat vision as he could, but he can't harm Reed Richards. That trick him into loosing his confidence.

Well, since Gladiator has already shown to be capable of busting planet with his fist, I can infer that Captain's shield is nearly immune to physical damage. The only clear thing that ever broke Captain's shield in 616 is so far magic and matter manipulation.

AngryHulks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AngryHulks
No Caption Provided

Gladiator is no Superman, but he is planet buster.

ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ImmortalOne

The shield will be fine. Captain America, however, will probably be blasted into space.

hermankeson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hermankeson

Superman prime would break the shield no sweat.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By willpayton

@XEL820 said:

Does it bounce energy? I thought it just absorbed it? But even if the energy of the initial contact was absorbed, what I see happening is; Superman now has he fist on the shield and is pushing it with all his might. So while Cap might take no damage from the punch itself, he'll definitely go flying. That explains why in several of those scans he took the blows with no injuries but was still lifted off his feet, especially with Cyclops. Cyclops's beams generate concussive force. Because of that, the shield can absorb the beams initial force, but after that, the force that the beam still carries as a whole will push Ca[ back. Am I making sense? lol

Well, when Cap throws the shield it bounces off of things all over the place, suggesting that one of it's characteristics is that it reflects kinetic energy (physical collisions). Maybe it's different with energy attacks such as lightning, lasers, or particle beams. But, if the shield just absorbed kinetic energy, then Cap would throw it at a wall and then it'd just hit and drop to the ground, it wouldnt bounce at all.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By Strider1992
Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Enosisik

@willpayton. Right but caps shield is a special blend of vibranium , adamantium an unknown part so somehow it is able to do both absorb and reflect. I'm guessing this is just another one of those things that doesn't follow real science.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tg1982

@WillPayton said:

@XEL820 said:

Well, when Cap throws the shield it bounces off of things all over the place, suggesting that one of it's characteristics is that it reflects kinetic energy (physical collisions). Maybe it's different with energy attacks such as lightning, lasers, or particle beams. But, if the shield just absorbed kinetic energy, then Cap would throw it at a wall and then it'd just hit and drop to the ground, it wouldnt bounce at all.

You're right. Cap's shield is a blend of Vibranium and and unknown steel or iron alloy the process of which was never duplicated and also Adamantium was created through one of the attempts, it should also be noted that now the Asgardian metal Uru has been added to the shield (Fear Itself) making it possibly stronger than adamantium.

@XEL820 said:

It's certainly a possibility but I'm more inclined to believe the Cap being suprised and not expecting it theory, in part due to the two scans of Iron Fist (it was just a quick punch with no continuous force) and Cyclops (Cap wasn't expecting the blast and just got his shield up in time) and also do to this scan....

No Caption Provided

Cap was prepared for the equal strength maybe stronger (due to them both being engaged in the "official" fighting) blast and was not only did he not go flying from it but advanced on Cyclops bashing him in the face.

Avatar image for harding_stanley
Harding_Stanley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a scene from the JLA / Avengers crossover. When Superman got Captain America's shield. And he admitted that he had not met with such a strong metal. So Superman can't not to crush it the shield. Indeed the shield can hurt Superman.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Captain America's shield absorbs kinetic energy, besides Superman isn't breaking Proto-Adamantium/Vibranium alloy any time soon.

spiderbuck1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see my Flash vs Cap's Shield thread has raised questions. But I doubt a hundred percent that Superman could break the shield, in fact; I think the shield will just force Superman back and Cap's arm will be fine.

Flash can't break it either

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only Skyfather level beings can break this shield. Superman is nowhere near this power level. Only Thor's sexiness is. The experts agree.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

How can he break something that absorbs kinetic energy?

Wewlad80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Wewlad80

Molecule man, Thanos, and RKing Thor have Shattered that shield like glass. Superman Easily.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

#41  Edited By KrleAvenger

@wewlad80 said:

Molecule man, Thanos, and RKing Thor have Shattered that shield like glass. Superman Easily.

Sure. Let's ignore the fact that Thor had the Odinforce when he did that. Or that Thanos has the Infinity Gauntlet and even without it he is above Superman. Or that Owen is so powerful, he is above Abstract entities. Or that he can shatter Superman's molecules or destroy pretty much anything even without being at his peak.

Seriously. Are you just trolling or you don't know something so basic? Or is that bias?

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeee927346fb
deactivated-5aeee927346fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jay_z94

@wewlad80 said:

Thanos pimp slapped Silver Surfer to sleep, therefore Aunt May can do the same

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't even dent it a bit.