• 51 results
#1 Edited by beautifulrevery (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

This is Superior Spider-man at peak levels of strength for Spider Man(25-30 ton range)

vs

early GA Superman(the faster than a speeding bullet, stronger than a running locomotive one)

Battle takes place in Manhattan

No Prep, random encounter

Morals off(Does that even really matter with these two? GA Supes was kind of a jerk)

Win by KO or death

Who takes it?

#2 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman Stomps

#3 Posted by Immortal777 (7624 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll go with the guy who can fire a gun and then catch the bullet.

#4 Edited by Shawnbaby (10803 posts) - - Show Bio

By today's standards Most Street Level heroes are "Faster than a speeding Bullet"

I think Golden Age Supes top strength feats were lifting cars. maybe a bus. Nothing Spidey hasn't done.

Spidey's been able to beat character with higher Strength and Durability than Golden Age Superman.

I give the majority to Spidey.

As described in Action Comics #1 (June 1938): "When maturity was reached, he discovered he could easily: Leap 1/8th of a mile [201 meters]; hurdle a twenty-story building...raise tremendous weights...run faster than a express train... and that nothing less than a bursting shell could penetrate his skin!"

Golden Age Supes is a far far cry from Superman today.

#5 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

GA Superman was a tough-guy. Any Spidey but captain universe gets waxed.

#6 Posted by Shawnbaby (10803 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone said:

Catching bullets is not that impressive by today's standards. Ozymandias could do it and he's only Peak Human.

#7 Posted by jackofspades (1860 posts) - - Show Bio

webs beat the crap out of weak supes

#8 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby:

Within his first 5 years GA Superman was at insane power-levels. Don't feel like digging up pics atm but this is no contest. God help me for having to say it but "Golden Age Superman is underrated on Comic vine!" He would crush Ock Spider, this is a Stomp.

#9 Edited by Shawnbaby (10803 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone said:

@Shawnbaby:

Within his first 5 years GA Superman was at insane power-levels. Don't feel like digging up pics atm but this is no contest. God help me for having to say it but "Golden Age Superman is underrated on Comic vine!" He would crush Ock Spider, this is a Stomp.

Yes...but the OP specifically States EARLY Golden Age Superman. There's no denying that by the mid 40's Superman was already getting amped up and it never really stopped until Crisis on Infinite Earths.

#10 Posted by NeonGameWave (7794 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spiderman.

#11 Posted by dondave (37972 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see SSM winnig with prep

#12 Posted by Bo88gdan (4405 posts) - - Show Bio

@NeonGameWave said:

Superior Spiderman.

#13 Posted by jwalser3 (5073 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby said:

Catching bullets is not that impressive by today's standards. Ozymandias could do it and he's only Peak Human.

Yeah but catching it after you fire it is more impressive. I mean he is faster then a speeding bullet. I think he has speed over Spiderman.

Strength wise I say they're about equal. Maybe GA Superman is a little more stronger IMO.

#14 Posted by ComocYahweh (661 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby said:

@turoksonofstone said:

How the f can you compare that to superman? Superman actually moved fast enough to catch it, Ozy just has some technique to catch it.

#15 Posted by beautifulrevery (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

The way I see it is that their strengths are similar (spidey being at 25-30 tons and GA Supes being a 30-40 tonner) but Spidey having the edge in agility and reflexes(spider sense as well) while Superman having an edge in durability. Superman has faster running speed but only by a little and Superior has better versatility with his webbing. I'm not sure, it could go either way and yes this is early GA Superman. Not near the beginning of Silver Age when he was showing ridiculous powers. Standard Golden Age or else this is definitely a mismatch.

#16 Posted by Shawnbaby (10803 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3 said:

@Shawnbaby said:

Yeah but catching it after you fire it is more impressive. I mean he is faster then a speeding bullet. I think he has speed over Spiderman.

Strength wise I say they're about equal. Maybe GA Superman is a little more stronger IMO.

Early Golden Age Superman wasn't outrunning Bullets....they started adding that later on with the rest of the power creep.. Originally he was fast enough to outrun trains. The average speed for a train in 1938 was about 50 mph. Captain America can run 60mph...so even he could outrun trains.

#17 Posted by jwalser3 (5073 posts) - - Show Bio

@beautifulrevery said:

The way I see it is that their strengths are similar (spidey being at 25-30 tons and GA Supes being a 30-40 tonner) but Spidey having the edge in agility and reflexes(spider sense as well) while Superman having an edge in durability. Superman has faster running speed but only by a little and Superior has better versatility with his webbing. I'm not sure, it could go either way and yes this is early GA Superman. Not near the beginning of Silver Age when he was showing ridiculous powers. Standard Golden Age or else this is definitely a mismatch.

GA Superman ran a mile in seconds.

#18 Posted by laflux (16204 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby said:

@jwalser3 said:

@Shawnbaby said:

Early Golden Age Superman wasn't outrunning Bullets....they started adding that later on with the rest of the power creep.. Originally he was fast enough to outrun trains. The average speed for a train in 1938 was about 50 mph. Captain America can run 60mph...so even he could outrun trains.

Also just to clarify as well, Spider-Man has easily outran cheetah and Kraven at less than full health, both of whom can reach above 60 mph. He has caught up to a van doing 90 mph from a standing start.covered more than 100 meters in the space of heart beat, and easily overtook someone who was wearing rocket propelled boots- the record for those being 72 mph.

#19 Posted by beautifulrevery (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3: Was that early GA Supes or later in the golden age? I feel as though it was probably the latter

#20 Posted by jwalser3 (5073 posts) - - Show Bio

@beautifulrevery:I really don't know@Shawnbaby: I guess Ock Spider has this.

#21 Posted by Shawnbaby (10803 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3 said:

It's tough to say with Supes...in 1938 he was a bullet-proof strong guy that could out run trains and jump 20 stories....by 1947 he was pulling planets,flying fast enough to break the time barrier, and tanking Atomic bombs.

The earliest version of Supes make a fairly even match up with Spidey. They are fairly close in strength and speed, Supes would have the higher durability, Spidey would have the higher agility. Spidey's superior fighting ability and Spider-Sense give him more of an edge to win. The disadvantage SpOck has right now is that he's not fully comfortable with the use of the Spider-powers just yet...but he's adapting quickly. Morals off is a bit of a plus for Otto as well...while GA supes was a bit more rough around the edges...he wasn't a cold-blooded murderer.

As the years roll by and Superman gets more powerful it becomes harder and harder for Spidey to stack up...until eventually it's just impossible.

#22 Posted by tomlikesfries (4679 posts) - - Show Bio

SSM would have a chance if he had any preparation. However, he would probably get stomped under these conditions.

#23 Posted by beautifulrevery (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shawnbaby said:

@jwalser3 said:

It's tough to say with Supes...in 1938 he was a bullet-proof strong guy that could out run trains and jump 20 stories....by 1947 he was pulling planets,flying fast enough to break the time barrier, and tanking Atomic bombs.

The earliest version of Supes make a fairly even match up with Spidey. They are fairly close in strength and speed, Supes would have the higher durability, Spidey would have the higher agility. Spidey's superior fighting ability and Spider-Sense give him more of an edge to win. The disadvantage SpOck has right now is that he's not fully comfortable with the use of the Spider-powers just yet...but he's adapting quickly. Morals off is a bit of a plus for Otto as well...while GA supes was a bit more rough around the edges...he wasn't a cold-blooded murderer.

As the years roll by and Superman gets more powerful it becomes harder and harder for Spidey to stack up...until eventually it's just impossible.

Again it's EARLY GA Superman. Not when he starts performing ridiculous feats. This is when he was stronger than a running locomotive and faster than a speeding bullet. Not pulling planets and he couldn't fly nor did he have heat vision.

#24 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21965 posts) - - Show Bio

Supes wins he's stronger faster and more durable. And his less morals would speed blitz him.

#25 Posted by beautifulrevery (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman said:

Supes wins he's stronger faster and more durable. And his less morals would speed blitz him.

Ahem, you didn't read the OP or don't know about GA superman. He may be more durable but he's not faster. Superior and GA Superman are pretty even imo

#26 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21965 posts) - - Show Bio

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

Ahem, you didn't read the OP or don't know about GA superman. He may be more durable but he's not faster. Superior and GA Superman are pretty even imo

Oh I know supes and he could win... and yes he around 700 mph not 50 that's rediculas.

#27 Posted by beautifulrevery (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

Oh I know supes and he could win... and yes he around 700 mph not 50 that's rediculas.

Are...are you trolling me? Early GA Superman who is being used in this battle thread was only around 60-70mph in running speed tops and could "leap tall buildings in a single bound". He was more powerful than a locomotive and faster than a speeding bullet. His skin was invulnerable to anything less than an artillery shell.

#28 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@beautifulrevery said:

Spidey lifts 25-30 tons??? Thought it was more like 10...

#29 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21965 posts) - - Show Bio

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

Are...are you trolling me? Early GA Superman who is being used in this battle thread was only around 60-70mph in running speed tops and could "leap tall buildings in a single bound". He was more powerful than a locomotive and faster than a speeding bullet. His skin was invulnerable to anything less than an artillery shell.

Are you trolling me? Since when is a speeding bullet 60-70 mph

#30 Posted by beautifulrevery (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone said:

@beautifulrevery said:

25 without strain. At least 30 with strain I believe. As a teenager he could only do about 10 but his strength grew proportionately with age like from a child to an adult. @AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

The bullet thing is reaction speed I believe as GA Superman(early, not nearing ridiculous Silver Age levels) was only about 60-70mph in running speed. In any event he's not much stronger than Spidey and his reaction speed is around the same level. He has the edge in durability and strength but Spidey has the edge in versatility and spider sense.

#31 Edited by Charlie_Jade (523 posts) - - Show Bio

What are Superior Spiderman's feats?

#32 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21965 posts) - - Show Bio

@beautifulrevery said:

@turoksonofstone said:

@beautifulrevery said:

25 without strain. At least 30 with strain I believe. As a teenager he could only do about 10 but his strength grew proportionately with age like from a child to an adult. @AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

The bullet thing is reaction speed I believe as GA Superman(early, not nearing ridiculous Silver Age levels) was only about 60-70mph in running speed. In any event he's not much stronger than Spidey and his reaction speed is around the same level. He has the edge in durability and strength but Spidey has the edge in versatility and spider sense.

You just said faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locamitive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. That's faster than 700 mph not 60. He could speedbiltz spidy... plus spoct isn't a master of his powers.less morals for supes means he takes this

#33 Posted by beautifulrevery (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@turoksonofstone said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

You just said faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locamitive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. That's faster than 700 mph not 60. He could speedbiltz spidy... plus spoct isn't a master of his powers.less morals for supes means he takes this

Even if he's faster than 700mph(which he didn't show in feats during the early GA run). Also GA Superman wasn't the boyscout he is now. He was a killer normally so laxer morals isn't gonna be too much of a difference in my opinion. Neither of them are going to hold back.

#34 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21965 posts) - - Show Bio

@beautifulrevery: so supes increased speed and strength take this. If supes lands hits on spidy it will do more damage than spidys hits on supes.

#35 Posted by beautifulrevery (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery: so supes increased speed and strength take this. If supes lands hits on spidy it will do more damage than spidys hits on supes.

You're ignoring spider sense and webbing as well as Superior's well...superior intelligence. You're not even attempting to give Superior a chance here and frankly your username makes me feel like you're a bit biased.

#36 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21965 posts) - - Show Bio

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

You're ignoring spider sense and webbing as well as Superior's well...superior intelligence. You're not even attempting to give Superior a chance here and frankly your username makes me feel like you're a bit biased.

I like both but supes could break his webbing... spider sense would be difficult but supes could land some hits and still win

#37 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

I think GA Superman's "faster than a locomotive" was his running speed and "faster than a speeding bullet" was his flying (or leaping if one would like it) speed. That's just me. I haven't really read any early Superman books but are the Fleischer cartoons an accurate rendition of his powers back then? I remember they were released only 2-3 years after AC1.

#38 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2639 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, I gotta give it Supes. Kal-L was a little more brutal and rougher than our boyscout Kal-El, so he'd be willing to do things modern Superman wouldn't to win and that would give him the advantage.

#39 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21965 posts) - - Show Bio

@spetsnaz_gru: its faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

#40 Posted by spetsnaz_gru (235 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman said:

@spetsnaz_gru: its faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Oh I see. Thanks.

#41 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21965 posts) - - Show Bio

@spetsnaz_gru said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

Oh I see. Thanks.

No problem

#42 Posted by beautifulrevery (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

I like both but supes could break his webbing... spider sense would be difficult but supes could land some hits and still win

I mean GA Superman was pretty much a toned down Hulk. IIRC Hulk was unable to tag Spider-man.

#43 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21965 posts) - - Show Bio

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

I mean GA Superman was pretty much a toned down Hulk. IIRC Hulk was unable to tag Spider-man.

Cause the hulk can run 700 mph, supes is nothing like the hulk. In fact he wasn't created for like thirty years

#44 Posted by beautifulrevery (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

Cause the hulk can run 700 mph, supes is nothing like the hulk. In fact he wasn't created for like thirty years

What is your stickler about the 700mph thing?(which is Hulk's top running speed IIRC). I said he was a toned down Hulk since Supes is a 30-40 tonner tops, has worse speed feats as well as durability. Which is why he's a "toned down Hulk" even though he came first.

#45 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21965 posts) - - Show Bio

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

What is your stickler about the 700mph thing?(which is Hulk's top running speed IIRC). I said he was a toned down Hulk since Supes is a 30-40 tonner tops, has worse speed feats as well as durability. Which is why he's a "toned down Hulk" even though he came first.

Oh I gotcha ya. But supes still wins

#46 Posted by beautifulrevery (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

@beautifulrevery said:

@AllStarSuperman said:

Oh I gotcha ya. But supes still wins

Possibly but I don't think it would be easy in any form or fashion. I'm not sure who would win and I'm not convinced either way at this point.

#47 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

from MCDB:

Spider-Man - 10 tons (Original and now current strength level due to reality being altered during the events of "One More Day")

http://www.comicvine.com/spider-man/29-1443/how-strong-is-spider-man/92-23583/

http://www.comicvine.com/spider-man/29-1443/a-few-questions-about-spidermans-physical-strength/92-679055/

according to most Marvel Handbooks Spidey is consistently in the ten ton range.

#48 Posted by jwalser3 (5073 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone said:

from MCDB:

Spider-Man - 10 tons (Original and now current strength level due to reality being altered during the events of "One More Day")

http://www.comicvine.com/spider-man/29-1443/a-few-questions-about-spidermans-physical-strength/92-679055/

So GA Supes wins?

And I just don't see how the bullet catching stuff doesn't count when he is known for being faster then bullets as the guy above said.

#49 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3:

I think GA Supes wins easy.

#50 Posted by beautifulrevery (1508 posts) - - Show Bio

@turoksonofstone said:

from MCDB:

If he really is 10 tons then I'll edit the OP a bit to make it a little bit more fair.