Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#301  Edited By Ferro Vida

@ShootingNova said:

@Ferro Vida: No, that was Homer's Iliad:

Consciousness of his omnipotence is admirably illustrated in the famous scene in the Iliad (8.17 ff.) in which Zeus makes this challenge to the Olympians: "Then [you] will see how far I am strongest of all the immortals. Come, you gods, make this endeavor, that you all may learn this. Let down out of the sky a cord of gold; lay hold of it all you who are gods and all who are goddesses, yet not even so can you drag down Zeus from the sky to the ground, not Zeus the high lord of counsel, though you try until you grow weary. Yet whenever I might strongly be minded to pull you, I could drag you up, earth and all and sea and all with you, then fetch the golden rope about the horn of Olympos and make it fast, so that all once more should dangle in mid air. So much stronger am I than the gods, and stronger than mortals" (trans. Richmond Lattimore, The Iliad of Homer [Chicago, 1951]).

-- Taken from A History of Religious Ideas Vol. 1

Hesiod does say Zeus could destroy the universe with his thunderbolts, however.

My mistake, I thought I had the wrong title.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#302  Edited By ShootingNova

@Ferro Vida: Never mind. Just for the record, Homer's Zeus is not omnipotent, because he is afraid of Nyx:

Iliad 14.258.ff. presents Night as a comparatively powerful goddess: Zeus himself avoids angering her. It is significant that the most celebrated proclamation of the omnipotence of Zeus should have connections with the interview that the supreme master asked a primordial goddess to grant him.

-- Taken from A History of Religious Ideas Vol. 1

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#303  Edited By ShootingNova

I'd say Zeus wins a majority (7 or 8 out of 10), and the remaining 2-3/10 is won by Kali, Vamana, and possibly Ra.

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304  Edited By Ferro Vida

@ShootingNova: Didn't say he was omnipotent.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305  Edited By ShootingNova

@Ferro Vida: No, I posted the quote because the above quote said "consciousness of his omnipotence", but he is only omnipotent in Orphism.

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#306  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

@ShootingNova: I'm asking based on the comment that the top dogs mirror each other. Odin is still a skyfather was suppsed to have gained all the secrets of the universe, in all that wisdom I can see him hanging for quite a bit.

I do actually believe Ra would come out on top.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307  Edited By ShootingNova

@LordOfAllHumans: There's no point in mixing up Marvel with mythology. Odin died from Fenrir, who is a sun-swallower at best.

Odin isn't nearly as "omniscient" as you might think. The Wisdom of Mimir is not omniscience, clearly Odin was at least partially fooled by Loki for a brief duration. Hel, in her realm, had enough power to defy Odin.

Odin is nowhere near Zeus in terms of power.

LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

@ShootingNova said:

@LordOfAllHumans: There's no point in mixing up Marvel with mythology. Odin died from Fenrir, who is a sun-swallower at best.

Odin isn't nearly as "omniscient" as you might think. The Wisdom of Mimir is not omniscience, clearly Odin was at least partially fooled by Loki for a brief duration. Hel, in her realm, had enough power to defy Odin.

Odin is nowhere near Zeus in terms of power.

I'm not mixing up anything myth says when he hung himself from the tree he gained that wisdom and the runes. Having all the secrets of the univere and omniscience aren't the same, so I can see how he can be tricked, and his death was prophesy, even Zeus was bound by such things.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309  Edited By ShootingNova

@LordOfAllHumans: Odin's sacrifice to Yggdrasil and his sacrifice of his eye to Mimir is inconsequential to this fight. Zeus was bound by what? Zeus avoided prophecy when he swallowed Metis to give birth to Athena and avoid being overthrown by the child.

Zeus cannot be tricked. He is omniscient or nigh-omniscient:

It is not possible either to trick or escape the mind of Zeus. - Hesiod (C.Eight Century B.C.), Theogony)

-- Taken from Classical Mythology: Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome

And I have no idea why you are going off-topic with all this wisdom stuff, it really makes no difference since in terms of actual strength and power, Zeus soloes Norse mythology.

LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By LordOfAllHumans

@ShootingNova said:

@LordOfAllHumans: Odin's sacrifice to Yggdrasil and his sacrifice of his eye to Mimir is inconsequential to this fight. Zeus was bound by what? Zeus avoided prophecy when he swallowed Metis to give birth to Athena and avoid being overthrown by the child.

Zeus cannot be tricked. He is omniscient or nigh-omniscient:

It is not possible either to trick or escape the mind of Zeus. - Hesiod (C.Eight Century B.C.), Theogony)

-- Taken from Classical Mythology: Myths and Legends of Ancient Greece and Rome

And I have no idea why you are going off-topic with all this wisdom stuff, it really makes no difference since in terms of actual strength and power, Zeus soloes Norse mythology.

I'm getting drunk right now :) I want to continue our exchange but my friends deem I must do shots lol...I shall return

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311  Edited By ShootingNova

@LordOfAllHumans: I'll take that as a concession :)

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312  Edited By Ferro Vida

@ShootingNova said:

@Ferro Vida: No, I posted the quote because the above quote said "consciousness of his omnipotence", but he is only omnipotent in Orphism.

Gotcha

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313  Edited By ShootingNova

@Ferro Vida: Okay.

BgRules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314  Edited By BgRules

My personal opinion that the only ones who can compare they're powers are Zeus and Ra. I think that Ra is most powerful. Zeus defeated the Titans and Cronus, yes, but with the help of others. Ra, dealing alone with the bad, clearly shows his powers, this is why I think that he'll be more powerful. Plus, Ra,unlike Zeus,is a creator. He could create anything.

What do you think of it?

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ra > Zeus > Kali > Everyone else.

Jmarshmallow

BlackKing06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By BlackKing06

I think Sun Wukong and Zeus are the strongest gods in smite.

JoseLoayza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318  Edited By JoseLoayza

Sun Wukong is beyond infinite nothing, beyond the network of Indra. Everything you have mentioned including Hindu gods is just a particle in Thatagata.

Godren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319  Edited By Godren

Smite?Out of the gods you listed I would say Kali due to her passive and ult.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of the ones you listed it's easily Ao Kuang. His burst is eye-watering. Go invisible, proc that SR and Poly on his 3 + 2, and then ult. So easy yet so effective.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@godren: Eh, she's fallen off I'd say. She has virtually no wave clear.

Godren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@godren: Eh, she's fallen off I'd say. She has virtually no wave clear.

Yeah she has unfortunantly.But in this scenario she could just farm these dudes while being virtually immortal..

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323  Edited By Necromancer76

@godren: That is true, but that kinda renders her useless when her ult is down. And she can still be CC'd while ulting. Baka is bad for the same reason.

Jooosh1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

By lore...probably Zeus.

Avatar image for bowlt_swagg_320
bowlt_swagg_320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers