Star Wars vs. Star Trek (Yeah, i'm going there)

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By JohnnyZ256

@reikai:

There's nothing to suggest that he can't, either.

DireDrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By DireDrill

No Earth means no humans regardless of what you may say so unless you can show me an Earth in Star Wars those "Humans" are simply a human-like species called humans. Chances of us existing as we are right now are very small and become next to impossible without the conditions that created us. Suspension of Disbelief requires that we believe everything in the universe is the same as ours unless otherwise specified. As they have no Earth nor any reference to it, Star Wars Humans are simply a race that is similar to humans but are not human.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By terry2012

@Inphase: Yeah, no answer for the death Star who can destroy planets. By the time The USS Enterprise-E find it weakness it would be too late, it would be destroy before than.

reikai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By reikai
@JohnnyZ256 said:

@reikai:

From a cosmic perspective, humans are humans, and they mean nothing.

@DireDrill said:

No Earth means no humans regardless of what you may say

No Earth =/= no humans. It's Fiction. That logic doesn't work. And it's not "what I say" It's what is Official for the Star Wars Universe. And what makes you think there is no Earth in Star Wars? Pretty much every movie starts with "A long, long time ago In a Galaxy Far, Far away" which would mean we're in the Same Universe, but these events are transpiring in another galaxy separate from our own.
DireDrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By DireDrill

Do you not know what Suspension of Disbelief is reikai? It is the rules by which we view fiction. Suspension of Disbelief says that Star Wars Humans are not Humans because Humans are a race developed on Earth. No Earth = No Humans. Official Star Wars Universe can call there ducks ducks all they want but unless there is an Earth, they are not. Are we a space faring race and I don't know it? Last I heard we had only made it to the moon not across an entire galaxy. So suffice it to say, these humans are just called humans and are similar to humans but in fact are not humans.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

@DireDrill said:

Do you not know what Suspension of Disbelief is reikai? It is the rules by which we view fiction. Suspension of Disbelief says that Star Wars Humans are not Humans because Humans are a race developed on Earth. No Earth = No Humans. Official Star Wars Universe can call there ducks ducks all they want but unless there is an Earth, they are not. Are we a space faring race and I don't know it? Last I heard we had only made it to the moon not across an entire galaxy. So suffice it to say, these humans are just called humans and are similar to humans but in fact are not humans.

There are those in the Star Wars universe with intergalactic space travel, they could have taken a massive bunch of humans and dumped them in the main Star Wars galaxy. There is far more evidence for humans in Star Wars being human than there is for them not being human.

DireDrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By DireDrill

Do you have a scan of them doing this? Do you have any proof that an intergalactic space faring race picked up some humans and transported them to the Star Wars Galaxy? Nope? Occam's Razor and Suspension of Disbelief both say that Humans in Star Wars are not the same as Humans from Star Trek.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108  Edited By EdBlank

As far as the Star Wars people being actual Earthling Humans... nah. They can try to retcon it in any way they like, but this is simply George Lucas not really thinking this thing through. Long Long Ago in a Galaxy Far Far away you would have had all kinds of weirdos with different numbers of limbs, but no possible way of there being actual humans there. He shoulda just set it in this galaxy, actually. So Luke and them are not technically Human although they look pretty close. My issue would be the DNA. Even on Earth, two creatures that developed separately (or from a common ancestor, but sufficiently separated) from one another cannot mate cause their DNA doesn't match. How could random beings in another galaxy magically have our exact same DNA? Don't EVEN get me started on the mating habits in Star Trek. 1) wouldn't work (the DNA thing) and 2) at that point it's really the same as doing it with any other non humnan.. yuck

JackKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By JackKnight

@CitizenBane: @JediXMan: And then the Anti-Monitor comes and eats the Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr who and Mass Effect universes all for breakfast LOL!

steelhound56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By steelhound56

Empire stomps this....

More destructive weapons, better shielding, faster means of transport (very important for logistical purposes),

Not to mention Vader and Sidious could likely turn back any ground offensive by the Trek soldiers pretty easily.

reikai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By reikai
@DireDrill said:

Do you have a scan of them doing this? Do you have any proof that an intergalactic space faring race picked up some humans and transported them to the Star Wars Galaxy? Nope? Occam's Razor and Suspension of Disbelief both say that Humans in Star Wars are not the same as Humans from Star Trek.

Actually been stated that Rakata enslaved many species and displaced them among various worlds throughout the galaxy. Reason why people of the same species ended up on different worlds even when they themselves didn't have space travel until much, much later.

And speaking of you can't in any way say that Humans are different from one fiction to another without viable proof of this You've done nothing but try and claim that Humans in SW are Not Human, when it's Exactly what they are said to be in every shred of source material.  

@JackKnight

said:

@CitizenBane: @JediXMan: And then the Anti-Monitor comes and eats the Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr who and Mass Effect universes all for breakfast LOL!

And then Nabeshin blows him up with dynamite because Explosions Fix Everything.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Shawnbaby

@DireDrill said:

That is not what suspension of disbelief means. Suspension of Disbelief means that, in order to truly appreciate the entertainment value of something, we must first temporarily put aside the fact that it is merely a story we are being told and accept it as a reality. It's what allows us to to actually care about what happens to the characters. If anything, Suspension of Disbelief is what will tell us those character are human...despite that they did not evolve on Earth.

Occam's Razor actually suggests that the simplest explanation for something is the right one. Occam's razor will say that if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it's probably a duck. Same would apply to humans.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Floopay

The Star Trek fleet uses their teleporters to teleport all major threats into space. And then blows up the ships from Star Trek via superior weaponry, and blocks most of their attacks via superior ship defenses.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

Inphase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#114  Edited By Inphase

@DireDrill: We are the SAME SPECIES. Doesn't matter what they are called or what planet they come from, as long as its similar to earth which there are plenty of planets like that in SW. Humans in SW have the exact same biological make up of you and me.

Inphase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#115  Edited By Inphase

@reikai said:

@JohnnyZ256 said:

@reikai:

From a cosmic perspective, humans are humans, and they mean nothing.

@DireDrill said:

No Earth means no humans regardless of what you may say

No Earth =/= no humans. It's Fiction. That logic doesn't work. And it's not "what I say" It's what is Official for the Star Wars Universe. And what makes you think there is no Earth in Star Wars? Pretty much every movie starts with "A long, long time ago In a Galaxy Far, Far away" which would mean we're in the Same Universe, but these events are transpiring in another galaxy separate from our own.
Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Who in Star Wars can stand up to Q, the Thasians, the Metron, the Organians, the Prophets, the Pah-Wraiths, the Douwd, Trelane's parents, the Nagilum, the Melkotians, Korob and Sylvia, the Companion, the caretaker, or Gorgon?

BringnIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By BringnIt

Ewoks solo.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#118  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Inphase said:

@DireDrill: We are the SAME SPECIES. Doesn't matter what they are called or what planet they come from, as long as its similar to earth which there are plenty of planets like that in SW. Humans in SW have the exact same biological make up of you and me.

It's worth mentioning that there was a cancelled Star Wars novel that showed the fate of Earth. Look up Alien Exodus.

@Betatesthighlander1 said:

Who in Star Wars can stand up to Q, the Thasians, the Metron, the Organians, the Prophets, the Pah-Wraiths, the Douwd, Trelane's parents, the Nagilum, the Melkotians, Korob and Sylvia, the Companion, the caretaker, or Gorgon?

This thread states purely Empire vs Federation.

DireDrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By DireDrill

@Shawnbaby said:

@DireDrill said:

That is not what suspension of disbelief means. Suspension of Disbelief means that, in order to truly appreciate the entertainment value of something, we must first temporarily put aside the fact that it is merely a story we are being told and accept it as a reality. It's what allows us to to actually care about what happens to the characters. If anything, Suspension of Disbelief is what will tell us those character are human...despite that they did not evolve on Earth.

Occam's Razor actually suggests that the simplest explanation for something is the right one. Occam's razor will say that if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it's probably a duck. Same would apply to humans.

You are wrong here, my assessment is correct. Suspension of Disbelief, as I have applied it, is the basis for the idea that Star Wars ships fire multi-gigaton shots because before someone applied real world physics to an ISD shooting an asteroid, there was no consensus on just how powerful something was. Everything in the Star Wars universe is exactly the same as ours so long as it has not been indicated that it is not. The chances that we even exist to have this conversation are ridiculous, the chances that a race that is exactly like us developed in another universe is even more ridiculous bordering on the impossible.Your understanding of Suspension of Disbelief is an oversimplification of the concept.

Occam's Razor or the Parsimony Principle suggests that the simplest explanation given available information is generally true. If I told you that it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but is from a different planet would you still say it was a duck? Your usage of Occam's Razor is a popular misconception as it is an oversimplification of it.

If you were a normal everyday citizen of Metropolis, you would think that Clark Kent was a human too. He outwardly professes to be human, looks human, sounds human, and does pretty much everything a Human does but when it comes down to it Clark Kent is a Kryptonian. See, until someone tells you that Clark Kent is Superman, Suspension of Disbelief would require that you believe he is human.

Sorry , but you used the word Galaxy and this takes place in a galaxy far far away. So the chances of the Rakata stealing humans from a planet in a galaxy far far away is pretty limited. Also, since we have no idea when Star Wars takes place, it may take place before we even evolved into being. Good try though.

Again, you can't prove a negative but I have yet to see any positive proof that Star Wars Humans are Human. Anyone got any? Being called human and looking like a human is not enough.If I told you that I was God, what would be the first thing you would say? Prove it. You would look at me quite incredulously if I said prove I am not.

DireDrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By DireDrill

@JediXMan said:

@Inphase said:

It's worth mentioning that there was a cancelled Star Wars novel that showed the fate of Earth. Look up Alien Exodus.

@Betatesthighlander1 said:

This thread states purely Empire vs Federation.

Cancelled and Canon are two different things.

While the others are not possible, the Prophets are technically a Federation entity.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#121  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@DireDrill:

I know the difference. Do not try to educate me on Star Wars lore.

Source books call them humans. That is the end of the argument. Your word is not higher than every single source in Star Wars that calls them "human."

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@DireDrill: so, does the Federation get prophets and Space-Jesus Sisko?

because if they do I'm thinking the Federation takes this.

BlackReaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By BlackReaper

@BringnIt said:

Ewoks solo.

I concur.

Floopay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Floopay

Has anyone come up with a counter-argument to using the transporter systems to transport enemy troops, commanders, and leaders into space?

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#125  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Dupe.